50PA5500 information? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking for reviews or user feedback on this model. Are there any owners of the LG 50PA5500? Any thoughts on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 AM

i am very happy with the purchase right now.since its only 600 dollar for 50 inch 1080p.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This should help answer some of you questions in this thread (PA6500 thread) : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390332/lg-50pa6500-and-lg-60pa6500-plasmas

I miss my old Altec 1590 monoblocks ....
post #4 of 27 Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
I just bought this TV. I haven't done any setup options at all. I ran Transformers and UP! through it and then watched some Hulu Plus and Direct TV HD. For the price tag (I paid $650) I'm extermely impressed. I didn't need 3d or any apps or anything like that, so it's perfect. It looks better than I imagined. I'll update once I play around with it some more.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM

I've had this set for almost a week. Almost done with running 100 hours of slides, but I have watched some TV and a couple Blu-Ray movies and I'm very impressed with it. It is my first plasma, so I'm a noob when it comes to them. It replaced a Samsung DLP and it is quite impressive to me how well it looks.

I'm thinking of getting the 60 inch version for my basement, but want to spend more time with this one first before making a final decision.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM

after 3 week of having the plasma. i did notice dithering when i go close to screen.anyway uts not noticeble from far like 1 feet.pic is amazing dor 600 dollar.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Pun View Post

after 3 week of having the plasma. i did notice dithering when i go close to screen.anyway uts not noticeble from far like 1 feet.pic is amazing dor 600 dollar.

I notice dithering too when looking from a foot or two away, but like you said, it's not noticeable from viewing distance. The worst dithering I see is during blu-ray loading on my PS3, but during movie playback, I can't notice it all.

In the second day of owning this set, I noticed some slight IR after watching the news that had a constant image block on the screen. I couldn't see it with normal content, but viewing slides showed it.

After almost 90 hours of use, 90% of which was running slides, I can't see any IR anymore. Even after watching the same news for 30 minutes to an hour and then running slides immediately after, I can't see any IR. I hope this continues to be the case.

Really liking this set!
post #8 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM

I have had a terrible experience with this TV. I ordered this TV form Dell, the price was right, and at first the TV seemed really great, the picture after turning off energy savings was awesome. I had just finished entering some of the tweaks available here and the ones that were on Amazon (Amazon has pulled this product for some reason), and was happy.

Foolishly, I thought I was good to go, and let the packing get thrown away. 9 days after first setting up the TV, and only moderate use, the TV died. The LED came on but nothing on the panel at all, no menus, nothing. Since I didn't have the box, I was hesitant to "just put it in a box" as Dell suggested for a return, fearing it would end up damaged, and Dell would blame me and refuse a refund or exchange. Dell said I could call LG for service, so I did, and set up a service call.

The service experience was bad. I had a non working TV in my living room, they would come out and say "I think it's the mother board, I'll have to order one." Wait a week, board shows up, they come out, doesn't fix the problem, etc. So they replaced all four boards inside the TV before concluding the panel was dead, and of course they had to order it. I called LG to seek some sort of compensation for having their product fail after 9 days, and being without a TV for almost 3 weeks while their service provider failed to fix the TV. The told me there was nothing they would do. They did not seem to care at all, even once I escalated to the managers. I had lost confidence that LG's service provider was even capable of fixing the TV.

So I called Dell, and they agreed to ship me a new TV, and I could use that packaging to return the broken one. We did that, and after over a month from when the first one failed, I finally had a working TV. smile.gif Set it up, everything seemed good. Now I have a vertical line that is clearly visible on blue and red backgrounds.eek.gif At first I thought it was just one input, but I have detected it on all inputs. Once you see it, very distracting with the red/blue content. Netflix splash screen is where I first noted it:

Either I have the worst luck ever, or LG has some quality problems with the 50PA5500 model. Despite the excellent picture, nice set of inputs, decent remote, good stand, I could not recommend the 50PA5500 product due to the quality problems I have expereinced. I have a dilemma in that I am not sure what to do, try and return the TV without original packaging or try for the third unit and hope it works for more than 2 weeks?

This was my first purchase of an LG product, and I feel badly burned on this one. I feel like I should avoid the LG brand. I know the service experience for any of the TV manufactures leaves something to be desired, but still, what possible excuse could they have?

What would you do?
post #9 of 27 Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 PM

I purchased the LG 50PA5500 last Sunday from Sears (closeout for $549.95) and have been trying various calibrations I've found online. The best color I've achieved thus far has come from a calibration published by Ty Pendlebury at CNET.

I'm confused by the following Color management System submenu from Pendlebury's calibration, which both begins and ends with the color red (the last color in the onscreen TV menu sequence is yellow and not a repeat of red).

Please excuse my ignorance, but can anyone tell me if this is a typo, or does one skip yellow and return to red and make the new entries for Red?

Thanks for any info which can be provided.

Red: [Saturation -5. Tint -29, Luminance 0]
Green: [Saturation -5. Tint 0, Luminance 0]
Blue: [Saturation -2. Tint -2, Luminance -9]
Cyan: [Saturation -3. Tint 2, Luminance 0]
Magenta: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance -2]
Red: [Saturation -10. Tint -27, Luminance 3]
post #10 of 27 Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I picked up a 50pa500 for $500 about three weeks ago. Now that I'm up to 100 hours of run time I've been messing with the controls. I tried the user shared calibrations that some of the guys posted in the pa6500 thread but I found them to be wrong for my display, particularly the sharpness adjustments of 22 instead of 10.

I tried to find calibration discs at Best Buy, Radio Shack, and everywhere that people say they should be but I've had no luck, so it looks like I'll be ordering a few someday soon. In the meantime I tried the THX calibration on the Incredibles DVD. It worked wonders for my previous Samsung 3079 CRT (it was a new TV when I finished with that calibration...) but did just about nothing for my LG.

I noticed that the very first correction chapter - Contrast - was useless. On my CRT I was able to get the display lit up enough with the contrast control to wash out the differences between the different gray squares. On the LG, even at full contrast the screen never got "white" enough to wash out those differences. I seemed to have a choice between dark grey and light, light grey, but never white. The Brightness test tells me to either turn down the brightness till the THX drop shadow just vanishes, or find the seventh darkest box on the top line, vanish it, and then bring it back a little. Those two settings are mutually exclusive. With the seventh darkest box barely visible, I not only lose the drop shadow, I can barely see the THX logo.

It was all downhill after that. I may just restore the factory settings and give up for the time being.

In spite of this, the clarity on this tv is breathtaking, and the cable over HDMI looks better than lifelike. Movies... with a standard 60 frame HDMI connection, Dark Knight looked astounding, after I had played with some of the picture settings. I discovered that my POS Sony STRDG910 (I have grown to loathe Sony electronics) doesn't pass the 24p signal that I'd heard such great things about, so I either have to play games by running direct from the Blu-ray (BDS480) to the TV and then running digital audio out from the TV to the receiver (and I'm sure I'll have A/V sync issues then), or get a new receiver.

Still, it would be nice to have a brighter picture. I don't have $250 to fork over to a calibration tech, so does anyone have any idea what I could do to wake this display up and get some more light output from it?
post #11 of 27 Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM

The price I do not want to say too much 1.gif
post #12 of 27 Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have a dlp, led-lcd, lcd, panny plasma and this lg and I am very happy with this tv! Lg chopped everything not needed and produced a top notch displays in this price range. As far as your contrast it sounds like the abl is kicking in so might try using windows to adjust white levels?
Anybody have any detailed explanations on the settings? And maybe some advice on how to adjust those settings for ps3 gaming
post #13 of 27 Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Can someone please tell me how to get the service menu or how to check hours of usage on this LG plasma? I've been searching on the internet for the past few days and had to register here to ask this simple question.

As for the TV, I've had it for a week now and I'm very pleased. The picture is great ( I have it on cinema setting, no adjustments ) the screen is reflective but so was my old CRT ( glass will be glass ). The sound is decent, but for a little more depth and bass - I'm gonna hook up some additional audio equipment and larger front speakers.

Overall - great TV so far. My first and only plasma so I might be biased smile.gif

Edit!

So I found out that I have been staring into the menu that SHOULD have the "used time" information, but it has that line missing ( 4th line from the top... there is a gap, a blank line ). The question is, how do I get the line to appear? my software version is 03.17.12 if that has any relevance.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM

First of Im swedish and I may have turned some things around since I haven't slept for 36 hours now and English is not my native language though I think of myself as really good at it. I however am going to help you the best I can since i have a LG 50PA5500-ZB TV right next to me.
Quote:
Can someone please tell me how to get the service menu or how to check hours of usage on this LG plasma?

I cannot help you with the Up-time on your TV but if you didn't find the service menu (Which i think you did.) you need to go to the menu by pressing "MENU" OR "Settings" and press the "red" button.
Quote:
My software version is 03.17.12 if that has any relevance.

I cant really say if that is the case here but I'm guessing your TV is not the "smart TV-version" and therefor your Software version may be outdated.
The newest software is released 12/04/2012 (Software_File(Version_04.00.03).zip).

Before updating:
Check Menu/Settings (Non-Smart TV model)
Press MENU OR Settings key on remote
Press (Red) “Customer Support” key on remote
Select “Produce/Service Info.”
Check “Model/Type”

50PA5500-ZB : Full model name includes a suffix ex “-UA”.

Once on the LG website on the software TAB remember to:
Check View More and if the full model name of your TV is in [Applicable model list].
If it is, then as always:
• Do not unplug TV power cord while upgrading software. biggrin.gif

Im even going to be nice and put the [Applicable model list] right here for you:
Quote:
[Applicable Model]
42PA4500-UM
50PA4500-UM
50PA4900-UD
50PA5500-UG
50PA550C-UG
50PA6500-UG
60PA5500-UG
60PA550C-UG
60PA6500-UG
60PA6550-UM

I really feel that this TV is the best buy I've ever done! It may have been really cheap (760.38$ | 2012-07-23) but its A LOT of TV for the money. Since I've never been in any need of service or help I would definitely rate the TV 4/5 easy. It gets -1 because of the sound which can be turned up quite high but the volume actually stop increasing after a while.confused.gif
That's why i bought a Sony Blue-Ray 5.1 Home Theather system for the TV as well. Ohmy, It's beautiful!
(Just waiting for the PS4 to replace my PS3 later on! High expectations! tongue.gif)
I wish you good luck with the product!

BTW I registered here just to help you out man!rolleyes.gifcool.gif
post #15 of 27 Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 AM

Thank you for your reply N0tiC smile.gif

I am also not an English native speaker so don't worry about it.
When I get home from work, I will try to update the software.

I found the service menu, but I don't quite remember the exact model number. Will check when I get home.
this 50PA5500 plasma is not a smart TV or 3D or any of that ( frankly I don't care for or want that stuff at all )

I'm hoping that the software update will resolve the issue, I've got nothing else to try XD

Anyway, thank you again. Best of luck with your TV as well smile.gif
post #16 of 27 Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM

As I said, Never ever experienced any problem so far cool.gif

Just be sure that the TV IS THE EXACT model or it will propably be more issues than you already have tongue.gif (I don't want to be the cause of the destruction by updating the wrong model)

Cheers, N0tiC!
post #17 of 27 Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I read about some guy who screwed his tv by installing wrong firmware update. It was same model but different suffix and wasn't compatible in his country (I think?) so be careful.
I have a question regarding rs232 port on back. The manual says to use a crossed (reverse) cable. Is that the same as null modem?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
post #18 of 27 Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM

I wanted to put an update in on my experience with my LG 50PA5500.

In my earlier post I mentioned that my Sony DG910 didn't pass 24p signals, so I decided to flip some cables around. I previously had all my sources running to this receiver, with a single HDMI then going to input 1 on the LG. I now have all sources (Sony BDPS480, Cisco Explorer 8624HDC, AppleTV 3rd gen) running to the LG, with a single optical audio cable leading back to the receiver. This has cleaned up my system operation immensely, as I no longer have to pick up the tv remote to select the receiver vs tv tuner, and then the receiver remote to select my source. Now, the tv remote handles everything and I only need the Sony remote for the on/off and system volume. If I could run that off the LG remote I'd be thrilled.

The video quality has improved tremendously with this simple change. The tv passes a quality audio signal back to the receiver over optical, though I haven't had a chance to play with all the different decoders and see what kind of sound I'm actually getting. I know my receiver doesn't have TrueHD capability, so I may not even bother for right now. Since I have a simple 3.1 system running its not that important anyway. If I discover some rear channel speakers that offer great fidelity on a wireless connection I might check it out, but its not that important to me, picture quality is my big concern.

After five months of daily use, the screen still looks great. Today I discovered the c|net calibration for the 50PA6500 and decided to give it a try on this 5500, as they're evidently the same tv with different sku's. I was very impressed with the change, and look forward to this evening when I can really get into it with either a good Pixar movie or maybe one of the Marvel's. I did get a chance to try out my go-to scene - the bank robbery in Dark Knight - for a little bit before the sun came around the house, and it was sharply detailed, to the point where I actually noticed a tiny bit of camera shake on the initial fly-in scene before the two robbers do their zip-line stunt. I also checked out the first two chapters in The Avengers, and was even more impressed.

These seem to have risen in price since I bought mine, and there seems to be quite the demand for them. Despite c|net's claims that this is a compromised cheapie plasma for someone who disregards everything else just to say they have 1080p, I find it to be an excellent buy.

Anyone have any suggestions on things I could check or experiment with to get even more out of this, or perhaps someone has some questions they need answered?
post #19 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 06:37 AM

delete
post #20 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 AM

No image retention at all, though little things like station burns and news channel inset frames stick around for a few seconds. The Pixel Orbiter setting helps with this, I imagine, but truthfully I'm so distracted by the sharpness and vibrant colors that I don't notice burns unless I look for them. I still have yet to do a proper calibration on my LG. I simply need to get my lazy self to order the Disney WOW Blu-ray and take the time to do it. Even on the general-purpose c|net calibration though, this TV is perfect for me.

I also have no dead pixels, and no stuck pixels at all.

Don't take this as a personal slight since viewing prefs are all very personal and not subject to any arbitrary standard, but... I'll never understand why people would get into the Soap Effect. I think motion enhancement takes away from in-camera effects that cinematographers use to set the mood or tone of their film. I spent some time trying out a friend's Samsung 8000 series LCD, a two year old model. He spent over $2k on it, and it is nowhere near as good as the picture on this cheapie $500 plasma of mine. I watched The Italian Job on it with "240hz Motion Flow" enabled, and I could swear I was looking at a 1980's-era Doctor Who episode. It looked so "live" that it could be someone's VHS-C hand corder project for their Columbia film class in 1990.

Check out my post above where I talked about watching The Dark Night in 24f mode. Do yourself a favor - once you have a hundred hours of general purpose viewing on this set (or do what everyone else says and run a couple days of slide shows), run a high quality HDMI cable directly from your BR player to your new LG. Enter the c|net calibration values I mentioned. Now watch the Dark Night in 24f Cinema mode. I'd like to hear your impressions about that vs. Soap effect. IMO, I see the clearest picture I've ever seen, without any motion enhancement gizmos making it look "live".

Ever since I bought this LG, I've seen similar size LED/LCD sets for sale, at or near the same price, and wondered if I'd made a mistake. Plasma seemed to be taking a back seat in the marketplace as most shelf space is devoted to crystal sets. Then I realized that most of the people who walk into the big box stores are looking for TVs that do game duty as well as mostly sports. I will never watch sports and never play games, preferring live shows and movies, so plasma is right for me.
post #21 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 07:39 AM

and lest anyone think I'm talking to myself, my post was a reply to nikon4500. I don't know why he deleted it as it was a perfectly good post, but it dealt with IR, dead/stuck pixels, and motion enhancement on LCD vs the lack thereof on plasma.
post #22 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Sevin View Post

and lest anyone think I'm talking to myself, my post was a reply to nikon4500. I don't know why he deleted it as it was a perfectly good post, but it dealt with IR, dead/stuck pixels, and motion enhancement on LCD vs the lack thereof on plasma.
Sorry about that. I didn't realize you were replying to my post - my post was the last one after I deleted it.
I just decided to give it some time before I post anything. My first impression was - I can see a lot more details on plasma than on 8000 series LED. However, watching it at 10am in somewhat bright room is more difficult than led. Also, the blacks are somewhat grey on this one. I calibrated it myself using expert patterns, but will try the cnet settings you suggested. In my opinion a nicely calibrated budget tV will look better than uncalibrated flagship like 8000 series led.

As for the soap opera effect - I don't know what it's called, I think judder, but it hurts my eyes a little when it's not present on TVs of this size. I guess either my eyes are too sensitive or I'm just too used to watching a "more stable" screen.
post #23 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon5400 View Post

Sorry about that. I didn't realize you were replying to my post - my post was the last one after I deleted it.
I just decided to give it some time before I post anything. My first impression was - I can see a lot more details on plasma than on 8000 series LED. However, watching it at 10am in somewhat bright room is more difficult than led. Also, the blacks are somewhat grey on this one. I calibrated it myself using expert patterns, but will try the cnet settings you suggested. In my opinion a nicely calibrated budget tV will look better than uncalibrated flagship like 8000 series led.

As for the soap opera effect - I don't know what it's called, I think judder, but it hurts my eyes a little when it's not present on TVs of this size. I guess either my eyes are too sensitive or I'm just too used to watching a "more stable" screen.

No prob. I just didn't want anyone to think I was talking to myself :-p

I can't even remember what my pre-calibration experience was like, but post-calibration the blacks seem very deep, practically "all bits on zero". Any greying I might notice always turns out to be highlights on black fabrics or surfaces. Borders on contrasting colors are very natural with no eye-popping transitions. My one objection to this display remains the brightness. It has only bothered me when playing with those THX cert files, but knowing there may be a problem of course creates one in my experience.

Where did you find your 5500 at? I haven't seen them since I bought mine a year ago.
post #24 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 AM

can you post a link to cnet settings? I can't seem to find them thanks

Edit - never mind. Found them here. Thanks.
post #25 of 27 Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 AM

Also take a look at one of our forum member's contributions to the calibration:

http://www.avsforum.com/products/lg-50pa5500-50-inch-3d-plasma-tv/reviews/3992
post #26 of 27 Old 03-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Hey, Im glad too see you are still around! cool.gif

Since we had ALMOST thesame TV-model, I decided to ask YOU a question this time tongue.gif

Would it be worth it to install a lightpack on the back of it?
Seen it before? Whats your thought about it?

http://store.lightpack.tv/products/lightpack

I would love to have the lightpack installed smack on the back of it and have it run only with the TV but that is impossible.
Quote:
Lightpack is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android, and works with many media centers. See FAQ for details and software limitations.

I actually have a 10m HDMI cable going from my PC to the TV but Im unsure about this whole thing since It would require a lot of moving around and I wont do that If I'm not 100% certain about this product rolleyes.gif
post #27 of 27 Old 08-17-2014, 01:32 PM

Sorry I didn't see this until now. For some reason, thread subscription keeps getting turned off on my posts.

I have never heard of Lightpack until you mentioned it but it looks amazing. I understand the principle, that they're averaging the colors and brightness onscreen and playing it behind the screen to help reduce eyestrain from viewing programs in a darkened room. Its unfortunate that they didn't put up videos of how the system looks when its playing a movie instead of that amazing color wheel screen saver.

In my case I simply bought some eyeball lights from a home store. They are the kind that are mounted in metal stands, not the kind that goes in the ceiling. I fitted them with 25 watt halogen bulbs, and pointed them at the wall behind my screen. I have beige walls, not white, so the effect is not glaring. It has definitely helped my eyes. The best part is - no computer necessary.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pa5500 50 Inch 3d Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page