ST50 vs VT50 what are the MAIN differences? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to buy a TV 50-55" Inch and i am trying to decide between these two panels.

I'm trying to ascertain what the main differences are between the two.

I have ordered the 50" ST50 for $1400 here in Australia. The VT50 is $3800 RRP and the cheapest i can find it here in AU is for $3000. I'm wondering if paying double what i did for the ST50 would give me any significant improvement in picture quality...

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMX23 View Post

I'm looking to buy a TV 50-55" Inch and i am trying to decide between these two panels.

I have ordered the 50" ST50 for $1400 here in Australia. The VT50 is $3800 RRP and the cheapest i can find it here in AU is for $3000. I'm wondering if paying double what i did for the ST50 would give me any significant improvement in picture quality...

Thanks.

Not unless you can do a full calibration, with meters, or plan to have it professionally calibrated.
My opinion.

Mike

post #3 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

Not unless you can do a full calibration, with meters, or plan to have it professionally calibrated.
My opinion.

I see...

Well i do plan on buying a hardware/software calibration kit and calibrating it myself but even then i don't know if paying all that extra money will be worth it.

I want to use to the TV for Xbox 360 gaming as well as watching blu-ray movies/dvd's and general TV content. I'm buying the TV particularly for gaming and for the gaming content on the X360 to look fantastic.

So your saying if i'm not going to get either Calibrated whichever one i choose then it wouldn't be worth paying double for the VT50?

I've looked at a comparison chart but i'm still not sure:

http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?i...Nbr=TC-P65ST50

Related to the picture quality the VT50 has: Double the shades of gradation, 1080p pure direct, pure image creation, 24p Playback (3:2)/24p Smooth, 24p Cinematic Playback at 96Hz.

Also the THX Mode and ISF Calibration which don't have anything to do with picture quality...

post #4 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see...

Well i do plan on buying a hardware/software calibration kit and calibrating it myself but even then i don't know if paying all that extra money will be worth it.

I want to use to the TV for Xbox 360 gaming as well as watching blu-ray movies/dvd's and general TV content. I'm buying the TV particularly for gaming and for the gaming content on the X360 to look fantastic.

So your saying if i'm not going to get either Calibrated whichever one i choose then it wouldn't be worth paying double for the VT50?

I have a friend that has a 60" ST50 and I have a 65" VT50 both are calibrated (with meters) and they are VERY similar. In my opinion unless the styling or the internet apps that use the VT's dual processor are important the ST is a much better buy. The VT also has the 96hz for blu-ray and the THX modes for 2 & 3D if that matters.
I have a PS3 and games look great as does VUDU and some Netflix titles.

Mike

post #5 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

I have a friend that has a 60" ST50 and I have a 65" VT50 both are calibrated (with meters) and they are VERY similar. In my opinion unless the styling or the internet apps that use the VT's dual processor are important the ST is a much better buy. The VT also has the 96hz for blu-ray and the THX modes for 2 & 3D if that matters.
I have a PS3 and games look great as does VUDU and some Netflix titles.

THANK YOU!

It is really hard to differentiate between TV's when you don't have them in-front of you and you are simply looking at comparison charts.

The ST50 does look like a MUCH better buy since it's half the price...

What did you pay for the VT50 and what did your friend pay for his ST50 if you don't mind me asking...

So the Dual Core Processor does nothing to improve PQ? What is the actual point of it then?

Does having 1080p pure direct and pure image creation really add anything to the PQ? Or are these features more advertising then they are actual features

post #6 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

THANK YOU!

It is really hard to differentiate between TV's when you don't have them in-front of you and you are simply looking at comparison charts.

The ST50 does look like a MUCH better buy since it's half the price...

What did you pay for the VT50 and what did your friend pay for his ST50 if you don't mind me asking...

So the Dual Core Processor does nothing to improve PQ? What is the actual point of it then?

Does having 1080p pure direct and pure image creation really add anything to the PQ? Or are these features more advertising then they are actual features

I paid over $1000 more. I don't like the bezel on the ST and I do like the extra controls in the Pro menu.
It's said the dual core does help the processing but I'm not sure if it can be seen in most sources. I think most of the features are marketing but it's hard to tell the difference between the ST and VT with them not being side by side.

Mike

post #7 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you go to amazon and search for the tv... scroll down well below the description and it gives a comparison chart that is fairly informative.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yes i can see the comparison chart on amazon.com as well.

Just wanted to hear about people's experiences if they have either TV.

Seems to me that most of the added features are marketing and that the VT50 has better styling.

Also since the VT50 hasn't even been officially released in Australia yet in retail stores which it will be in June the price differences here are even steeper...

55VT50 (RRP) - $3800 - Cheapest i've seen $3000 AU

50ST50 (RRP) - $1749 - Ordered it for $1400...

post #9 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Really it seems the custom calibration capability and the screen are the big difference. The rest is fluff.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

Really it seems the custom calibration capability and the screen are the big difference. The rest is fluff.

I'm glad i ordered the ST50 then.

Appreciate the input

post #11 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 05:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMX23 View Post

Thanks.

Althoug in Spain st50 is not for sale, some shops bring them from other countries.

50´´ st50-> 975 euros
50´´ vt50-> 1400 euros

What do you think about these prices?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Liked: 22
If you can get a video processor with two more hdmi inputs, and isf calibration, you've basically caught up. The VT has a screen that will reflect less ambient light too. The VT has two remotes also. That's it. I have the 55GT50 and I can still see banding because the source is compressed. I don't think you will ever see the difference in shading.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page