Current models similar to P50ST30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best Buy said they cannot replace the panel of my p50st30 so they offered an exchange under warranty for a tv with similar specs. I'm not sure what to look for and asking for suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post

Best Buy said they cannot replace the panel of my p50st30 so they offered an exchange under warranty for a tv with similar specs. I'm not sure what to look for and asking for suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks

If you cant get an ST50 out of it, go for it !! Excellent plasma, UT50 is a great set also if you have a light controlled room. I wouldnt settle for less than an ST50 if it was me.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

If you cant get an ST50 out of it, go for it !! Excellent plasma, UT50 is a great set also if you have a light controlled room. I wouldnt settle for less than an ST50 if it was me.

I mostly watch tv at night time so it's usually dark or dim. Will the UT50 work well in that kind of environment?

The price has to be equal to or less than what I paid so I'm limited to 1099 bucks. Within that price range, the tv's I checked out only come with 2 HDMI's and I need three like my current tv.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...A%3E1900-01-01
post #4 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Thanks

Since you are dealing with Best Buy on this problem, ASSUME you have passed the Warranty Date from Panasonic?
post #5 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I mostly watch tv at night time so it's usually dark or dim. Will the UT50 work well in that kind of environment?

The price has to be equal to or less than what I paid so I'm limited to 1099 bucks. Within that price range, the tv's I checked out only come with 2 HDMI's and I need three like my current tv.

The LG PA6500 will give you 3 hdmi, if that is really important - plus a slick design & bright picture - but it is otherwise a Bare Bones 1080p panel!

The PM6700 ups that to 4 hdmi ports, and should be a closer "competitor" to your ST30 - although in terms of FEATURES it compares more closely with Pan's GT series - including (from memory) THX mode.

On balance, the UT50 may well be a better panel than the LGs: it will certainly have deeper blacks.
But the LG PM6700 will have more features, MANY more Picture Controls, perhaps better color - and a very nice design.

Frankly, if the Pan warranty has expired & Best Buy sticks to the "what you paid" limit for a "Free" replacement, would opt for spending the extra $150 needed to step up to the ST50.
Having moved from a ST30 to a ST50 (albeit both in the 60" class), would consider spending $150 for the exchange to be a Relative Bargain...

Best of Luck!
post #6 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Make them give you the st50 as it is the replacement model. And upgrade in size if you have a few extra bucks lying around. Same thing just happened to me different set and I used as an excuse to get a 65 instead of the 50 I previously had.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Since you are dealing with Best Buy on this problem, ASSUME you have passed the Warranty Date from Panasonic?

Yeah, warranty expired LAST month. I had best buy add the two year warranty package when I bought it.

I would like to stick with panasonic in fear that my 3D glasses will not work with the other brands.

I appreciate the opinions on the tv's available.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The LG PA6500 will give you 3 hdmi, if that is really important - plus a slick design & bright picture - but it is otherwise a Bare Bones 1080p panel!

The PM6700 ups that to 4 hdmi ports, and should be a closer "competitor" to your ST30 - although in terms of FEATURES it compares more closely with Pan's GT series - including (from memory) THX mode.

On balance, the UT50 may well be a better panel than the LGs: it will certainly have deeper blacks.
But the LG PM6700 will have more features, MANY more Picture Controls, perhaps better color - and a very nice design.

Frankly, if the Pan warranty has expired & Best Buy sticks to the "what you paid" limit for a "Free" replacement, would opt for spending the extra $150 needed to step up to the ST50.
Having moved from a ST30 to a ST50 (albeit both in the 60" class), would consider spending $150 for the exchange to be a Relative Bargain...

Best of Luck!

Mind sharing to me what you like more about the ST50 over the ST30?
post #9 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OP, are you in Canada or the US? I ask because I think BestBuy's Product Service Plan differs between the US and Canada.

I'm in Canada and my Panasonic 50G15 died a few months ago and had to deal with FutureShop (they're owned by BestBuy and have identical PSP terms, at least here in Canada) and they actually have to go feature-for-feature at minimum. Which means, for example, if my old TV had 3 HDMI inputs, the new one would at least need to have 3, and that goes for all the features.

So I would go through the original ST30 spec sheet line by line and match a current TV to your old TV's specs. You should end up with the ST50 as a replacement. In my case, due to the THX feature they replaced it for a 50GT50 but I ended up opting to pay a little extra and upgrade to the 60GT50. You should be offered the same thing.

Just be aware that they want to give you the least TV they can while fulfilling their obligations. It's on you to make sure you're not taken.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

OP, are you in Canada or the US? I ask because I think BestBuy's Product Service Plan differs between the US and Canada..... at least here in Canada) and they actually have to go feature-for-feature at minimum. Which means, for example, if my old TV had 3 HDMI inputs, the new one would at least need to have 3, and that goes for all the features......
Just be aware that they want to give you the least TV they can while fulfilling their obligations. It's on you to make sure you're not taken.

Great example & wonderful advice.

Obviously the next step - if not already taken - is to Carefully Read the terms of your Warranty contract & try to understand precisely what it says.

ALAS, clauses limiting the payout of the warranty company are pretty common in the business. Last time I knew, this is likely the pertinent Best Buy Warranty clause:
Quote:

"The total liability under this Plan is the fair market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes...In the event that the total of all authorized repairs exceeds the fair market value of the product or we replace the product, we shall have satisfied all obligations owed under the Plan."

Still, would not give up without a Reasonably Firm-but-Polite approach to a manager....
post #11 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, warranty expired LAST month. I had best buy add the two year warranty package when I bought it.

I would like to stick with panasonic in fear that my 3D glasses will not work with the other brands.

I appreciate the opinions on the tv's available.

Don't generally opt for extended warranties - but looks like it is a good thing YOU did! At least you're not out the entire cost of the panel!

Hmm: To the best of my knowledge (we don't care about 3D) - glasses for the 2011 panels WILL NOT WORK with the 2012 panels.

Another glitch in the matrix....
post #12 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mind sharing to me what you like more about the ST50 over the ST30?

MAJOR CONSIDERATION: There are NO Green Blobs, Visible Green-for-Gray Substitutions, OR PINK TINT on the ST50. We experienced ALL of these on the 2011 panels... Multiple Times...

Beyond that: Black level is better than on the ST30 - even though the ST30 was easily the best panel we had in that regard prior to picking up a 50.

The panel itself is Brighter, colors seem more natural (although lack of green / pink tints alone would account for much of that!), and we THINK it is even better with Lights On than the 30 - but admittedly did not run the two side-by-side, so that could be debated (limited experience running in a well-lit room makes Comparison By Memory on this point that much more difficult!).

"Styling" is a matter of personal taste, but - silly translucent plastic edging aside - the ST50 does cut a finer profile than the 30. Even the speakers are a bit better, although not dramatically so.

UNWANTED Green & Pink Tinting aside, the ST30 was a Very Nice HDTV - although do understand that the 60" size produced better blacks than smaller sizes did - but the ST50 simply feels like a Step Up. Perhaps not dramatic enough to warrant dumping a working 30, but Given The Opportunity for a low-cost exchange....
post #13 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't generally opt for extended warranties - but looks like it is a good thing YOU did! At least you're not out the entire cost of the panel!

Hmm: To the best of my knowledge (we don't care about 3D) - glasses for the 2011 panels WILL NOT WORK with the 2012 panels.

Another glitch in the matrix....

Ya serious? The 3D glasses aren't compatible? That really blows cuz I spent 300 on all three and gonna have to get new ones again. I might bring this up to best buy but not sure if it's worthy of a shot. Should the tv I receive be compatible with my equipment or is that my problem and all they can do is give me a tv within the price range of the one getting replaced?
post #14 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

MAJOR CONSIDERATION: There are NO Green Blobs, Visible Green-for-Gray Substitutions, OR PINK TINT on the ST50. We experienced ALL of these on the 2011 panels... Multiple Times...

Beyond that: Black level is better than on the ST30 - even though the ST30 was easily the best panel we had in that regard prior to picking up a 50.

The panel itself is Brighter, colors seem more natural (although lack of green / pink tints alone would account for much of that!), and we THINK it is even better with Lights On than the 30 - but admittedly did not run the two side-by-side, so that could be debated (limited experience running in a well-lit room makes Comparison By Memory on this point that much more difficult!).

"Styling" is a matter of personal taste, but - silly translucent plastic edging aside - the ST50 does cut a finer profile than the 30. Even the speakers are a bit better, although not dramatically so.

UNWANTED Green & Pink Tinting aside, the ST30 was a Very Nice HDTV - although do understand that the 60" size produced better blacks than smaller sizes did - but the ST50 simply feels like a Step Up. Perhaps not dramatic enough to warrant dumping a working 30, but Given The Opportunity for a low-cost exchange....

Thanks for that info.

I REALLY like my ST30 and have no complaints but if any tv that I receive is slightly or much better than it, i'll be thrilled lol. But the fact about the glasses not compatible bothers me...
post #15 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Ya serious? The 3D glasses aren't compatible? That really blows cuz I spent 300 on all three and gonna have to get new ones again. I might bring this up to best buy but not sure if it's worthy of a shot. Should the tv I receive be compatible with my equipment or is that my problem and all they can do is give me a tv within the price range of the one getting replaced?

Its true - Panasonic switched to bluetooth interface for 3D glasses in the 2012 models, the 2011 models (ST30,etc) used the older incompatable infared 3D glasses.
Samsung switched to bluetooth 3D glasses a year earlier for the 2011 models in comparison.
Good news is starting with Panasonic 2012 models the new 3D glasses are compataible between both Panasonic and Samsung now.
You would have to sell your old infared 2011 Panasonic 3D Glasses and buy new 2012 models, fortunately the newer models are cheaper than last year's models cost.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The UT50 is not a direct replacement, really - no wifi adapter, no filter, only 2 HDMI. The ST50 is an equivalent. Problem is, Best Buy only carries the 50" ST50 online...the only size they carry in-store is the 55". I am not sure if it's orderable through the store's system or through Bestbuy.com only. If the latter is the case, then they won't be able to give it to you as a replacement. The Samsung PN51E550 is comparable and likely a good option, and even comes with two pairs of glasses in the box. The "real black" filter on the 550 model is pretty bunk though, and the picture quality probably isn't as good as your ST30. It might be pretty hard to argue that two models arent comparable if they suggest it. Worst case, the Samsung sells for 999, and that's the credit you'd receive.

If you stand your ground, and know your specs, then you'll be good. It's not so much the fact that Best Buy wants to screw you over, it's that either the comparable SKU finder app they use recommends something weird, or that the employee you're dealing with isn't aware of the intricacies of your older model. If it is determined that Best Buy doesn't carry anything comparable to what you bought, then you get the full amount of your original purchase price back on a gift card. A few months ago I had to do this for a customer with a failed Samsung B750 CCFL LCD. Since we didn't have anything like his TV anymore, he was able to buy a new LED TV, warranty, and a Bose Cinemate with the gift card we gave him.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #17 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

The UT50 is not a direct replacement, really - no wifi adapter, no filter, only 2 HDMI. The ST50 is an equivalent. Problem is, Best Buy only carries the 50" ST50 online...the only size they carry in-store is the 55". I am not sure if it's orderable through the store's system or through Bestbuy.com only. If the latter is the case, then they won't be able to give it to you as a replacement. The Samsung PN51E550 is comparable and likely a good option, and even comes with two pairs of glasses in the box. The "real black" filter on the 550 model is pretty bunk though, and the picture quality probably isn't as good as your ST30. It might be pretty hard to argue that two models arent comparable if they suggest it. Worst case, the Samsung sells for 999, and that's the credit you'd receive.

If you stand your ground, and know your specs, then you'll be good. It's not so much the fact that Best Buy wants to screw you over, it's that either the comparable SKU finder app they use recommends something weird, or that the employee you're dealing with isn't aware of the intricacies of your older model. If it is determined that Best Buy doesn't carry anything comparable to what you bought, then you get the full amount of your original purchase price back on a gift card. A few months ago I had to do this for a customer with a failed Samsung B750 CCFL LCD. Since we didn't have anything like his TV anymore, he was able to buy a new LED TV, warranty, and a Bose Cinemate with the gift card we gave him.

Thanks. I'm taking your advice and doing my research right now. From what I gathered, I agree with you about the Samsung 550. It has a swivel mount, glasses, 3 hdmi ports, and it's wireless. Those are my main requirements for the exchange. I like the ST50 too but no glasses and is over the budget I have to work with. The UT50 is now out of the question because it does not have a swivel mount. This is a top priority for me since I use the swivel too often to be able to deal without it. The fact that it only has two HDMI is kinda lame too.

I am still researching on the Samsung but it seems, so far, that it's a better deal. I'm not super picky with the visuals like "true deep blacks" and all that, but I do ask for a stunning image when watching HD movies and 3D flicks. The ST30 is awesome but too bad it's no longer supported.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

So I ended up with a samsung PN51E550. I was in and out of best buy with the new tv in just 15 minutes. Spoke with the dude handling the tv section and he recommended this tv over the st50 and UT50 because it has 3 hdmi's which i request and also includes two pairs of 3D glasses. $999. Out of the box, it's a bit dark but I got some fiddling to do with it over the next few days.

Thanks for all the help.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I ended up with a samsung PN51E550. I was in and out of best buy with the new tv in just 15 minutes. Spoke with the dude handling the tv section and he recommended this tv over the st50 and UT50 because it has 3 hdmi's which i request and also includes two pairs of 3D glasses. $999. Out of the box, it's a bit dark but I got some fiddling to do with it over the next few days.

Thanks for all the help.

I am sure that is a good purchase for you, enjoy but just for accuracies sake the ST50 has 3 HDMI outputs as well. But definitely a good deal with the glasses included

Darbee DVP5000
post #20 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I am sure that is a good purchase for you, enjoy but just for accuracies sake the ST50 has 3 HDMI outputs as well. But definitely a good deal with the glasses included

Yeah that is true, and it (3 HDMI) was mentioned but the price of that tv was over the trade budget and the need to spend for 3D glasses earned it a "X".

My first impressions of the tv is that it plays 3D movies smoother than the ST30 did. The 3D glasses, despite being a cheaper design, actually fit quite nice, have less glare on in the inside, and are not as dark as the panasonic glasses I had.

Pretty cool TV but got lots to learn about it still. I'm using movie mode right now until I stumble across someone's settings that I could try out.
post #21 of 21 Old 05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah that is true, and it (3 HDMI) was mentioned but the price of that tv was over the trade budget and the need to spend for 3D glasses earned it a "X".

My first impressions of the tv is that it plays 3D movies smoother than the ST30 did. The 3D glasses, despite being a cheaper design, actually fit quite nice, have less glare on in the inside, and are not as dark as the panasonic glasses I had.

Pretty cool TV but got lots to learn about it still. I'm using movie mode right now until I stumble across someone's settings that I could try out.

Yeah I've heard the 3d on the Sammy's is a tad better. I owned a couple Samsungs d450 and e530 from last year and movie mode is the way to go for sure, enjoy

Darbee DVP5000
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50st30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page