matte screened plasmas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All this talk lately of louvre filters makes me wonder; are there any matte screened plasmas? If not, than why? any info at all would be appreciated, I can't really find much info on this topic

even macbook pro's have the option of a matte screen...

"I'd only recommend a plasma over an LCD if you watch movies, tv shows or play videogames"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LG's highend models 2012 have matte screens:

PM9700
post #3 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

thank you! I'm pleasantly surprised by that. I saw an ST50 in store and even though it did reject light well, there is still reflections off that glossy display, it's like a mirror.

"I'd only recommend a plasma over an LCD if you watch movies, tv shows or play videogames"
post #4 of 15 Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_D View Post

All this talk lately of louvre filters makes me wonder; are there any matte screened plasmas? If not, than why? any info at all would be appreciated, I can't really find much info on this topic

even macbook pro's have the option of a matte screen...

Prolly cause plasma is glass so its gloss by default. Personally I think glossy screens make colors more vibrant and give a higher contrast/brightness because they have a smooth surface. A matte screen will diffuse light instead of reflecting it so that results in less contrast.

Take an iphone with its glossy glass screen, then compare that to anyone who puts an matte screen over it, totally washes out the screen. The postive of matte obviously is a non refelective screen, but image quality does slightly suffer in my opinion. Of course some matte screen are better than other but Ill just deal with the reflections... mean we all did with glossy CRT's back in the day so not really do what the big deal is, lol.

I bought a LG 60PM6700 and the 9700 flagship model that was posted above doesnt quite look as good, just didnt have as much pop. I compared both of them in the store and some reviews have pretty much said the same thing.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 AM

It make sense, with LCD u can set very bright picture and compensate, with plasma no.
I waitng for test's this new models.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travbedaman View Post

Prolly cause plasma is glass so its gloss by default. Personally I think glossy screens make colors more vibrant and give a higher contrast/brightness because they have a smooth surface. A matte screen will diffuse light instead of reflecting it so that results in less contrast.

It will also soften the image slightly since again, it's diffusing light hitting the screen and emitting from the screen which results in softened edges of on screen content.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

It will also soften the image slightly since again, it's diffusing light hitting the screen and emitting from the screen which results in softened edges of on screen content.

Yes that too, good point.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Panasonic made a series of matte screened plasmas in 2007. I have the Costco version of the 50PX77U. They're good and bad for all the reasons posted in this thread already. Back in 2007 50", 720p plasmas cost less and were dramatically superior to 46" LCDs. My living room has windows directly behind the seating position which the matte screen really helps with. The reflections are much less distracting when they're diffuse blobs rather than sharp mirror images. The matte screen plasma fit my needs perfectly.

jeff
post #9 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

this is the thing with glossy screens; I saw an ST50 in store and even though it has a very good filter (some say it's too 'aggressive' even) there is still mirror-like reflections, and there really is no getting around that as long as the surface of the screen is glossy.

I don't think it's an issue of 'some-people-are-more-sensitive-to-reflections-than-others', I think what has happened is that people have just gotten used to reflections because the vast, vast majority of TV's (and other devices) have a glossy screen. But I'm used to not seeing reflections on my sharp LCD and the reflections are a deal breaker for me. I'm really surprised this issue doesn't come up more on AVS.

matte-screened LG it is!

post #10 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbedaman View Post

The postive of matte obviously is a non refelective screen, but image quality does slightly suffer in my opinion.

Not an opinion, that's just a simple fact.

That's the trade-off of a matte screen and probably why most TV manufacturers don't bother.

Ford Mustangs and the San Diego Chargers. What else is there?
post #11 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Note that the PM9700 didn't do very well against the VT50 or E8000 in this year's VE shootout, although it was comparable to some of the better LCDs in some respects.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eh, it's as simple as this. You get what you payed for with a plasma. If one is looking for a TV with no glare and that is good for daytime viewing with plenty open windows, then maybe an LCD is a better option for him or her. I haven't really seen or tested a matte screened plasma, because I frankly haven't had the desire to. I've been watching on a Panny 42X50u for the last 7 years. For the first 5, it was downstairs in the living room where we have A BUNCH of open windows and sunlight. Didn't bother me when we watched it because I didn't really look for it in the first place. For the last 2 years it's been in my older sister's room who is off to law school. I watched TV in her room for a while until I got my 42UT50, and I still have had no problems with the glare! As long as one is not looking for it, then it should not bother them, and these gimicky Plasma's with their filter's and crap aren't even worth the damn money. The UT50 is a great set that's relatively cheap, doesn't have that louvre crap, and is just overall a great set. Glare doesn't bother me because I don't look for it in the first place. Don't worry too much about these matte screen Plasma's, they are honestly redundant, IMO.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

Eh, it's as simple as this. You get what you payed for with a plasma. If one is looking for a TV with no glare and that is good for daytime viewing with plenty open windows, then maybe an LCD is a better option for him or her. I haven't really seen or tested a matte screened plasma, because I frankly haven't had the desire to. I've been watching on a Panny 42X50u for the last 7 years. For the first 5, it was downstairs in the living room where we have A BUNCH of open windows and sunlight. Didn't bother me when we watched it because I didn't really look for it in the first place. For the last 2 years it's been in my older sister's room who is off to law school. I watched TV in her room for a while until I got my 42UT50, and I still have had no problems with the glare! As long as one is not looking for it, then it should not bother them, and these gimicky Plasma's with their filter's and crap aren't even worth the damn money. The UT50 is a great set that's relatively cheap, doesn't have that louvre crap, and is just overall a great set. Glare doesn't bother me because I don't look for it in the first place. Don't worry too much about these matte screen Plasma's, they are honestly redundant, IMO.

I highly disagree with this.....It depends on the situation, I bought a LG plasma some years ago that was very glossy, returned it with in a few days because it literally was unwatchable. It wasnt a fact of "dont look for it" a majority of the screen had a reflection that was distracting. Then at night I have a vontage modem (with a LCD) about 15' away and to the right, I could practicaly read what the modem said.

After returning the LG I found a TC-P4632C for less than half price. It was alot better than the LG but still not great. I recently upgraded to the 55st30 (again less than half price ) and I cant believe how much better it is than anything I have had in the past. I think it comes close to many LCD's.....I used to notice the opposing florescent kitchen light, now I have to really look for it. The filter on the st30 is impressive to say the least, I remember looking at the panny X1 years ago and it cut light but had and X pattern on the screen. For the quality of image+filter I dont think you can do better (for example the LG possibly has a better filter but likely has a worse picture).

If you can afford it, you should buy a panny with equal or better filter to the st30. Use it for a few days and return it if it is too glossy.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Panasonic made a series of matte screened plasmas in 2007. I have the Costco version of the 50PX77U. They're good and bad for all the reasons posted in this thread already. Back in 2007 50", 720p plasmas cost less and were dramatically superior to 46" LCDs. My living room has windows directly behind the seating position which the matte screen really helps with. The reflections are much less distracting when they're diffuse blobs rather than sharp mirror images. The matte screen plasma fit my needs perfectly.jeff

Here's a very old post of mine about the matte-screened PX77U:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=407

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #15 of 15 Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

Plasma owners, especially those who frequent AVS, tend to be a bit more discriminating. Clearly you are in the AVS minority.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page