Can I lay a plasma flat to remove the stand? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The title is fairly straightforward. I want to hang my TV. Can I lay it flat on its front face so that I can remove the stand and install the hanging bracket to the back? Or is this a 2-person job where I can't just lay it flat on the carpet?

I have a 55 inch Panny (ST30)

Edit:
I think this answers my question, but at this point, I will wait to get a confirmation.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20906350

Sounds like laying it flat is only an issue if you transport it. At home should fine, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Laying it flat is fine as long as you protect the screen (blanket, carpet).
post #3 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked: 32
Are you able to install the bracket, while it is in its stand? That would be the most favorable way. Also, depending on the size of the set, it may be easier to have another person help you lay it flat, along with helping to stabilize it while placing it up on the wall, once you get the bracket attached.

BTW, how large of a set are we talking about?
post #4 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post

I have a 55 inch Panny (ST30)

post #5 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
If you lay it flat you're gonna have to wait at least 24 hours, but to be safe I would say 48 hours before turning the TV on. Need to let the gas settle or very bad things can happen....
post #6 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you read the owners manual they have you lay them flat to install the stand or wall mount. It is perfectly fine. I've laid 5 in a row down the past month without issue. (returned them for different reasons). If there was a wait time it would be stated in the manual, not instructed to lie flat. Don't worry about it.

post #7 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
The Pioneer KRP-500M manual says to lay it flat on it's face on a soft surface to attach the stand. There is no caution about not powering it up for any period of time after doing so. I attached my stand this way, 2 years ago and have had zero issues.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 AM

When I received my 42UT50 on Monday, that's how I did it. Just be sure that nothing is on the surface in which the face is going down on. I put it on my bed, and made sure that there was nothing on it. You do not want to accidentally damage your screen by not taking this precaution, especially if this is a brand new set we are talking about.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

If you lay it flat you're gonna have to wait at least 24 hours, but to be safe I would say 48 hours before turning the TV on. Need to let the gas settle or very bad things can happen....

You must either work at Worst Buy or Scares. That is the funniest thing I have ever heard from people, since Plasmas started to become mainstream over ten years ago.

May want to correct what you stated, because none of it is true conan48.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post

The title is fairly straightforward. I want to hang my TV. Can I lay it flat on its front face so that I can remove the stand and install the hanging bracket to the back? Or is this a 2-person job where I can't just lay it flat on the carpet? .....Sounds like laying it flat is only an issue if you transport it. At home should fine, correct?

I would not lay it down to remove the stand - i don't want carpet (or even a soft blanket or comforter) touching my screen. People here have accidentally cracked their screen when laying the TV down on a bed or table.

I'd get a helper to lift the TV off the stand, and sometimes i'll turn the TV onto it's side and either gently lean it against a wall (screen side out) or have a helper hold it in this position while i install/remove the stand from the side.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

That is completely and entirely false information. Where the heck did you get that from?? You can twirl the TV like pizza dough and turn it on immediately with no ill effects.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:

WTF, iv'e never heard this before, when i swapped the board out of my PIONEER KURO 5020, to the Elite board, i powered it right back up, with zero problems.
post #13 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 AM

Liked: 23
If you are going to try laying it flat, you can also try using small rectangles (about 3"L x 2"W x 1" thick
) of packaging foam placed on a large coffee table or kitchen/dining table. The foam I'm talking about is the stuff often used inside boxes or audio, video, and computer equipment. Depends how wide the bezel is around the screen. These days, there isn't much there on many TVs. But I've worked on 46" to 50" flat panels this way by carefully and evenly distributing the weight around the edge of the bezel so that nothing touches the screen itself and applies no pressure to it. They actually have jigs in some repair shops that do this very thing. They have to remove the back panel to replace power supply units, main boards, and what not. Once you take the back panel and/or stand off there is nothing else you can use to support the TV.
post #14 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That is completely and entirely false information. Where the heck did you get that from?? You can twirl the TV like pizza dough and turn it on immediately with no ill effects.

Couldn't help myself. Sorry. I used to hear that kind of BS from people for over 7 years working at an electronics store. I guess people are a little more educated today. LOL.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Couldn't help myself. Sorry. I used to hear that kind of BS from people for over 7 years working at an electronics store. I guess people are a little more educated today. LOL.

Well if it was a joke then you should have stated that in your post. People and newbies looking for information will see your post and could genuinely think it's a serious concern, which is why we jumped on it to immediately dispell it.

Randy
post #16 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I don't see why you need to lay it down though. I would put the mounting brackets on the back of the TV while it's on the stand and then remove the screws on the back for the stand. Then you would just lift it up and the stand would come out and you can mount it straight up to the wall. I mounted a 55 inch LCD and I'm glad I had someone helping me. The ST30 is even heavier so I would get a buddy to help with the job just to be safe.
post #17 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
mjpearce has the best solution. You don't want to do this yourself because the tv is heavy and you may twist the panel a bit, not good. Much easier to get someone to help. The panel isn't very heavy but the leverage that long mass has over you can push your limits. Still with two people on my 50ST30, it was a bit hard to get it up on a high mount, for my short wife anyway

I wouldn't want Anything to touch the glass panel's AR coating for fear of scratching or any marks like swirls that can only be seen in certain light. I don't want a chance of uneven pressure points across the front either. I'm being a bit anal but hey why not.

I thought conan's remark was pretty funny, thanks for the laugh I have to say Randy made a good point about the newbies.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

mjpearce has the best solution. You don't want to do this yourself because the tv is heavy and you may twist the panel a bit, not good. Much easier to get someone to help. The panel isn't very heavy but the leverage that long mass has over you can push your limits. Still with two people on my 50ST30, it was a bit hard to get it up on a high mount, for my short wife anyway

I wouldn't want Anything to touch the glass panel's AR coating for fear of scratching or any marks like swirls that can only be seen in certain light. I don't want a chance of uneven pressure points across the front either. I'm being a bit anal but hey why not.

I thought conan's remark was pretty funny, thanks for the laugh

I agree also, that two people should handle and position any large flat panel TV even down to 37" or so. Like you say, not always a lot of weight, but any twisting or uneven pressure could spell trouble.
post #19 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I don't see why you need to lay it down though. I would put the mounting brackets on the back of the TV while it's on the stand and then remove the screws on the back for the stand. Then you would just lift it up and the stand would come out and you can mount it straight up to the wall. I mounted a 55 inch LCD and I'm glad I had someone helping me. The ST30 is even heavier so I would get a buddy to help with the job just to be safe.

This is what I did. Thanks for the advice.
post #20 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 PM

You handle the TV just like a sheet of glass. If you lay it down, you want to do so on an even and flat surface. Use two people and place it on something that won't scratch the screen, do that and you're all set. These things are assembled and serviced laying down, and they make it through a gauntlet of shippers who sometimes aren't so keen on following directions, so don't worry too much.

Glass can break if you place uneven weight on it while on the flat side, basically anything that would cause it to flex is bad. So no lifting by yourself on one side or something like that.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I simply mine on top of a very clean kitchen table, with a clean comforter on top. It just rests on the Bezel this way, so you are putting no pressure on the glass.
As to removing the stand, at least on my Pioneer, the stand mounts to the same holes as the wall mount.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Geez so much paranoia. Maybe I just got lucky but when I got my plasma I laid it gently on the living room floor to install the mounting brackets on the back before hanging it on the wall. Didn't have any issues.

Ford Mustangs and the San Diego Chargers. What else is there?
post #23 of 33 Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM

My movers refused to move my Panasonic UT50 without the boxes, they were on stands, though. They told me think of it as a Etch A Sketch, if it's tilted it will ruin the TV. I tried to do some research, some say older plasmas did that, newer ones not so much, other say they worked in an electronic store and never had issues, other say the plasma was damaged. I just sold one of my UT50 and he had to lay it down flat on the back. I told him it should be okay as long as it's not that way for a long period of time. Ugh, hope he has no problems.
post #24 of 33 Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiMuto View Post

My movers refused to move my Panasonic UT50 without the boxes, they were on stands, though. They told me think of it as a Etch A Sketch, if it's tilted it will ruin the TV. I tried to do some research, some say older plasmas did that, newer ones not so much, other say they worked in an electronic store and never had issues, other say the plasma was damaged. I just sold one of my UT50 and he had to lay it down flat on the back. I told him it should be okay as long as it's not that way for a long period of time. Ugh, hope he has no problems.

Movers have heavy insulation blankets that they can wrap around the TV. Then it should be stored upright for shipping. People should also remember to keep the screen liners and foam supports that come in the box on the TV. If not, find something similar to protect the screen.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #25 of 33 Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Movers have heavy insulation blankets that they can wrap around the TV. Then it should be stored upright for shipping. People should also remember to keep the screen liners and foam supports that come in the box on the TV. If not, find something similar to protect the screen.

Ian

Their point wasn't about physical damage to the screen, they basically told me that if you tilt a plasma, even a little bit, it could ruin the picture, even saying the picture would be discolored and you might as well throw it away if that happens. That was there point of about an Etch A Sketch, sorry if I wasn't clear, he described it like someone drawing on an Etch A Sketch, then when you tilt it, it messes up the drawing, same thing with a plasma. I just ended up driving them to my sister garage upright in the back seat with pillows, hoping I didn't tilt them and discolor my plasma somehow.

In my research on the web I've heard everything to it's okay because the manual tells you to tilt it to put the stand on. I've also seen others who say when plasmas were new on the scene you couldn't tilt them at all or risk ruining the picture screen. I don't know, it honestly felt like it was 50/50 for or against tilting your plasma, that it would or wouldn't damage it. I wasn't sure what to believe, is there anything official from plasma makers? lol

*edit* I just read this on a answers.com too.

"Can plasma screen tilted will it damage the plasma screen?

yes. most can tilt about 10 degrees back or forward, beyond that you're taking a big risk.

never, EVER, lay a plasma tv flat. Even if you're moving it and it's turned off.

The heavy glass can be de-laminated from the phosphors, blurring or ruining your picture.
If you really need to tilt your screen, the safest bet is an LCD."
post #26 of 33 Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
In Panasonics owners manuals they state that laying it face down or up while transporting may damage internal circuitry.
post #27 of 33 Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Liked: 15
Samsung's own video tutorial on how to put the TV the stand on the TV suggests laying it flat. I did it this exact way no issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEyq57lxc_M

Transporting it is a no no because of the bumps more than anything, one big bump and that could be enough to put a crack in the glass, though amazingly when I bought my F5300 just a few weeks ago the Best Buy employee had it on a dolly tilted up, then he put it in the SUV flat, and when I said "Uh.. aren't you supposed to keep these upright" he told me new Plasmas don't have any issues with that anymore. Naturally I put it upright as soon as he left.
post #28 of 33 Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtangletn View Post

Samsung's own video tutorial on how to put the TV the stand on the TV suggests laying it flat. I did it this exact way no issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEyq57lxc_M

Transporting it is a no no because of the bumps more than anything, one big bump and that could be enough to put a crack in the glass, though amazingly when I bought my F5300 just a few weeks ago the Best Buy employee had it on a dolly tilted up, then he put it in the SUV flat, and when I said "Uh.. aren't you suppose:Dd to keep these upright" he told me new Plasmas don't have any issues with that anymore. Naturally I put it upright as soon as he left.
That's because it is Samsung and Samsung doesn't know anything about plasma TVs.

That was a joke for all you Sammy fans.
post #29 of 33 Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Liked: 15
I think if most Panasonic fans broke their plasmas they wouldn't even mind because they'd have more fun staring at the screen when it's off and talking about how great the black levels are on it. tongue.gif
CMonMan likes this.
post #30 of 33 Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseshott View Post

Their point wasn't about physical damage to the screen, they basically told me that if you tilt a plasma, even a little bit, it could ruin the picture, even saying the picture would be discolored and you might as well throw it away if that happens. That was there point of about an Etch A Sketch, sorry if I wasn't clear, he described it like someone drawing on an Etch A Sketch, then when you tilt it, it messes up the drawing, same thing with a plasma. I just ended up driving them to my sister garage upright in the back seat with pillows, hoping I didn't tilt them and discolor my plasma somehow.

In my research on the web I've heard everything to it's okay because the manual tells you to tilt it to put the stand on. I've also seen others who say when plasmas were new on the scene you couldn't tilt them at all or risk ruining the picture screen. I don't know, it honestly felt like it was 50/50 for or against tilting your plasma, that it would or wouldn't damage it. I wasn't sure what to believe, is there anything official from plasma makers? lol

*edit* I just read this on a answers.com too.

"Can plasma screen tilted will it damage the plasma screen?

yes. most can tilt about 10 degrees back or forward, beyond that you're taking a big risk.

never, EVER, lay a plasma tv flat. Even if you're moving it and it's turned off.

The heavy glass can be de-laminated from the phosphors, blurring or ruining your picture.
If you really need to tilt your screen, the safest bet is an LCD."

Wow, have I been reading a lot of these posts lately. biggrin.gif What they told you is nonsense. If plasmas were constructed that delicately it wouldn't pay to make them. When transporting or storing the TV, the only thing you need to protect is the glass screen, which is less likely to break if the set is kept vertically. End of story.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page