IR / Burn In Fear - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, this whole burn in/IR thing is scaring the crap out of me. I just got a 42UT50, and I'm doing everything I can to properly break it in. But this whole IR stuff is scaring me to death. I watch a crap load of NBATV, and the bottom scroller is always there 90% of the time, with the exception of commercials. I also used to play CoD heavily, something that I'd like to eventually get back into, but I don't know if I want to with that HUD and the IR that could come from it. I would have taken it back for an LED/LCD, but the input lag on those scare me even more for gaming. I don't really know what to do to ease my soul with this whole IR/Burn In crap. I don't want to have to not be able to watch my favorite channels and such because of the fear of burn in. I watch a lot of cable, and I know cable and plasma's don't blend well. Think I might just have to go to the dark side and purchase an LED/LCD, just for the simple fact that babying my plasma isn't what I want to do. I don't know though, if you guys feel like you can talk me out of this, be my guest because I am so dumbfounded right now and have no idea what I should do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

Man, this whole burn in/IR thing is scaring the crap out of me. I just got a 42UT50, and I'm doing everything I can to properly break it in. But this whole IR stuff is scaring me to death. I watch a crap load of NBATV, and the bottom scroller is always there 90% of the time, with the exception of commercials. I also used to play CoD heavily, something that I'd like to eventually get back into, but I don't know if I want to with that HUD and the IR that could come from it. I would have taken it back for an LED/LCD, but the input lag on those scare me even more for gaming. I don't really know what to do to ease my soul with this whole IR/Burn In crap. I don't want to have to not be able to watch my favorite channels and such because of the fear of burn in. I watch a lot of cable, and I know cable and plasma's don't blend well. Think I might just have to go to the dark side and purchase an LED/LCD, just for the simple fact that babying my plasma isn't what I want to do. I don't know though, if you guys feel like you can talk me out of this, be my guest because I am so dumbfounded right now and have no idea what I should do.

IR exists. Burn-In is incredibly rare however and you would have to leave a logo/HUD up for days for it to actually burn in, were it to happen. Even then most likely it would just be nasty IR. Burn-in was a rare problem with sets years ago. It's almost non-existent now.

Enjoy your UT50, it's a great set.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my UT50 for about six weeks and have played all kinds of content including cod and have had almost no image retention. Just make sure not to leave it on still images for extended periods of time. I only had bad ir one time,i came home and my wife fell asleep with netflix playing and i didn't have the auto power off feature on and something like "other suggestions for you" was stuck on my screen. The ir went away within an hour or two of full screen content. Just don't keep the contrast up too high,no real reason to have it over 84. Just enjoy your tv and don't think about it. Ir will go away, its not burn in and is absolutely no reason to return a great display. My 2009 Panasonic G10 had serious abuse and had no burn in and it was left on still images by my wife numerous times.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 341
There's a sticky thread up top full of info. Please use it. Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page