Plasma tv recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
B-day and Father's Day are coming, and I'm requesting a HDTV for the man cave...

1. How far away will you be from the display when watching it? 4 to 5 feet

2. What TV will it be replacing? 5 yr old, 22 inch, 720p, LG tv

3. What will you be watching on it? 1/4 tv shows, 1/4 movies, 1/4 sports, 1/4 gaming from PC

4. Will a computer be connected to use the display as a monitor? If so, what percent of the time? up to 1/4 for PC gaming

5. Will you be getting a Blu-ray player to watch movies and will you be getting any HD service from cable/sat, or will you just be watching SD programming, and an upscaling SD DVD player? HD service from cable, OTA

6. Are you looking for the best in class display, the best bargain display, or best bang for the buck in the middle display? best bargain with decent PQ
7. Are you interested in seeing 3D with the new 3DTVs? If not, what about next year since TVs are usually kept for many years so consider that? Yes would consider if in my price range

8. What is the room lighting situation? (i.e. can you control the lighting? Can you use light blocking blinds, etc to control it?)

basement room with small window, can be curtained.

9. What is your budget range? $500 to 750

10. Will people be watching at multiple viewing angles or just usually one person sitting directly in the center? single person, directly in center

11. When will most viewing be done on the display (i.e. Daytime or after sunset)? Most viewing in evening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

B-day and Father's Day are coming, and I'm requesting a HDTV for the man cave...

1. How far away will you be from the display when watching it? 4 to 5 feet

2. What TV will it be replacing? 5 yr old, 22 inch, 720p, LG tv

3. What will you be watching on it? 1/4 tv shows, 1/4 movies, 1/4 sports, 1/4 gaming from PC

4. Will a computer be connected to use the display as a monitor? If so, what percent of the time? up to 1/4 for PC gaming

5. Will you be getting a Blu-ray player to watch movies and will you be getting any HD service from cable/sat, or will you just be watching SD programming, and an upscaling SD DVD player? HD service from cable, OTA

6. Are you looking for the best in class display, the best bargain display, or best bang for the buck in the middle display? best bargain with decent PQ
7. Are you interested in seeing 3D with the new 3DTVs? If not, what about next year since TVs are usually kept for many years so consider that? Yes would consider if in my price range

8. What is the room lighting situation? (i.e. can you control the lighting? Can you use light blocking blinds, etc to control it?)

basement room with small window, can be curtained.

9. What is your budget range? $500 to 750

10. Will people be watching at multiple viewing angles or just usually one person sitting directly in the center? single person, directly in center

11. When will most viewing be done on the display (i.e. Daytime or after sunset)? Most viewing in evening

I'm not too sure that there even is a plasma set out there that would fit your viewing distance without being too obnoxiously big. That said, I believe the smallest Plasma in the USA is 42". I just got my Panasonic 42UT50 yesterday, and I'm loving the PQ! This is a great set and I'd highly recommend it, especially since it fits in your price range. I got mine from Paul'sTV if you are wondering, they MIGHT have a few left, you should call the main line for Paul's and ask them, though.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
The TC-P42UT50 is the only 1080p Plasma in the 42" size and is by far the best choice in this size range (be it Plasma or LCD), especially considering how abnormally close you'll be sitting. All the other 42" Plasmas are 768p and would not look as good that close.

Be advised - the 42" UT50 was discontinued a few months ago and i think Paul's is the only retailer that has any left so if you want to get the only 42" TV worth having, grab one quick.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The TC-P42UT50 is the only 1080p Plasma in the 42" size and is by far the best choice in this size range (be it Plasma or LCD), especially considering how abnormally close you'll be sitting. All the other 42" Plasmas are 768p and would not look as good that close.

Be advised - the 42" UT50 was discontinued a few months ago and i think Paul's is the only retailer that has any left so if you want to get the only 42" TV worth having, grab one quick.

Too late. My Paul'sTV told me I grabbed the very last 42UT50 the company had in stock, they literally have NONE other. I'm really lucky I grabbed this thing before it was too late. Sorry bout that OP.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry for not replying sooner... I did see the recommendation on 6/1 but they were already gone when I called... My tv location is close to my computer and it is the only location that does not get daylight reflection from my window. This TV is used to watch NFL so it's got to fit my location or be an LCD.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page