HELP! Ordering TV today!! ST-60 or GT55?? Same price!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys

Which TV do I go with? Coming from a 5 year old 50" Panasonic plasma that was struck by lightning.

Narrowed down to 60" ST50 or 55"GT50 that are the same price. Room where TV is at has one set of french doors, but is covered by a deck, so no direct light in the room. Mainly watching movies and sports and occasional HD cable shows.

Which TV should I go with?

Also, is Paul's TV a good place to order and ship a TV from?

Thanks inadvance for the quick responses!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridude View Post

Guys

Which TV do I go with? Coming from a 5 year old 50" Panasonic plasma that was struck by lightning.

Narrowed down to 60" ST50 or 55"GT50 that are the same price. Room where TV is at has one set of french doors, but is covered by a deck, so no direct light in the room. Mainly watching movies and sports and occasional HD cable shows.

Which TV should I go with?

Also, is Paul's TV a good place to order and ship a TV from?

Thanks inadvance for the quick responses!!!

Viewing distance?
post #3 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 01:45 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
The ST50 and GT50 share the exact same panel and exact same AR Filter and they both have virtually the same picture quality.

The GT50 has the very popular THX modes that are great for watching movies, a better looking bezel, and an additional HDMI input and any one of these alone would cause me to pick the GT50. The differences between these two models are posted on the first page of the GT50 thread.

The only thing you have to gain by going to the larger ST50 is that extra 5 inches of screen size, and only you can decide if that's worth giving up the THX modes and other upgrades the GT50 offers.
Woody Harris likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
60"+ panels also have slightly better black levels.

It comes down to size/slightly better blacks vs features/styling. THX modes gives you decent out of the box picture and also a better option for having two separate modes for night/day. The ST50 has Cinema and Custom that can be used for night/day, but Cinema mode has a slightly lower gamma which will result in a slightly washed out picture compared to the other modes. The ST50 if calibrated in Custom mode will look identical to a calibrated GT50 and better than an uncalibrated THX mode.

Personally, extra screen size and better black levels are far more important to me, especially since I will be calibrating my TV. I also find that the ST50 looks good enough aesthetically. But the extra features may appeal more to you and you may prefer the styling of the GT50.
Woody Harris likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 524
No brainer. 60" ST.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

No brainer. 60" ST.

My farthest seat is 15 feet away from the TV. 50" always seemed OK to me. But why not move up a notch?

I do watch a lot of movies, so maybe the GT50 would be the best deal for me.

I know D-Nice has a lot of self calibration info for the ST. Is that also available for the GT50??
post #7 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'd go ST50. Many have recommended going with either the ST50 or VT50 (not much need for the GT50). I have the VT30, and D-Nice's VT30 settings IMO look better than THX mode on my display, so no need for THX.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

My farthest seat is 15 feet away from the TV. 50" always seemed OK to me. But why not move up a notch?

I know D-Nice has a lot of self calibration info for the ST. Is that also available for the GT50??

15 feet!!! Please go with the 60 inch st.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

Or two notches? 15 feet is farther away than i presumed you were. That's actually 65 inch territory.....

Quote:

Well maybe not - movies are better on the larger screen size, and this is coming from a guy who hardly ever watches movies. The ST50 can be made to look very good in Custom or Cinema (just as on the GT50), so the question is would one or both of the THX modes look even better than Cinema or Custom? And if not, would it be worth the trade off to give up THX to get that extra 5" of screen size?

Quote:

The GT50 settings are not in his HDJ thread yet, just the ST50 ones. GT50 settings were scheduled for sometime in June.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #10 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:

You will never enjoy the hypothetical picture quality advantages associated with the GT over the ST. You will always enjoy the extra size. This is a no brainer.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Definitely go with the ST50 if all you're going to do is watch TV and Movies for the next 5 or so years, and if you'll only need one great mode and one satisfying mode.

If you decide to buy from Amazon and can wait, the price of the GT50 will drop again. It was $200 less not very long ago. 24 months financing if you have, or get, their store card too.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well, just pulled the trigger on the 60ST50! Luckily had it price matched at Amazon yesterday, because Paul's TV price went up $150 today. Ended up getting it for $1499. Sweet deal! Will have it delivered Thursday! Can't wait!

Which 3D glasses and where is best place to buy them?

Thanks for everyone's input!
post #13 of 14 Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well, just pulled the trigger on the 60ST50! Luckily had it price matched at Amazon yesterday, because Paul's TV price went up $150 today. Ended up getting it for $1499. Sweet deal! Will have it delivered Thursday! Can't wait!

Which 3D glasses and where is best place to buy them?

Thanks for everyone's input!

The Panasonic glasses seem to get the most love the Samsung glasses can be used for younger ones or extras though is the way I look at it.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Great choice. Can't really go wrong with either, but for the furthest distance you stated, i too would of went for the 60", but no less.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page