What is this model of television? (from Costco) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 47" LG 47LK520 a month ago for $650, before taxes.

It's okay, but I'm by no means blown away.

I saw this at Costco today and it looks nice... they are new stock for Costco as they definitely didn't have it last month.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....at2341&topnav=

I can't find ANY information on these online... can someone direct me to some info on these TVs?

Thanks a LOT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post

... saw this at Costco today and it looks nice... they are new stock for Costco as they definitely didn't have it last month. I can't find ANY information on these online... can someone direct me to some info on these TVs?

The TC50PU54 is Costco's version of the regular TC-P50U50:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50U50

Usually there is one or two minor feature differences between the Costco model and the regular model (like one more or less input, etc) but the TVs are virtually the same.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The TC50PU54 is Costco's version of the regular TC-P50U50:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50U50

Usually there is one or two minor feature differences between the Costco model and the regular model (like one more or less input, etc) but the TVs are virtually the same.

Thanks a lot for the help!
post #4 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oh... any threads on here for this TV or is it.. "too new"?

Can't seem to find anything here either.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

No threads yet -- but, as Randy has pointed out, this is simply the "club version" of the U50, so try looking for a thread on that.

Looks like Randy also posted a link to Panasonic's web site: call up the Specs for the U50 and the U54 and then compare them line-by-line.

In the past, Pan's web site did a nice of job of showing whether their were ANY differences between "Standard" model(s) and "Club" Model(s).

Usually: connection ports, bezel and/or stand finish/design...
post #6 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Here you go! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1410013
post #7 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

I saw this at Costco today and it looks nice... they are new stock for Costco as they definitely didn't have it last month.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....at2341&topnav=

Costco's price is $50 more than the U50 straight from Panasonic. Sams Club is showing it for $300 cheaper??. They probably posted the wrong by mistake so it might be fun to order the 50 incher and see if they honor the price?

The Costco/Sam's version looks to be virtually identical this year:

http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?i...mNbr=TC-P50U50

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Costco's price is $50 more than the U50 straight from Panasonic. Sams Club is showing it for $300 cheaper??. They probably posted the wrong by mistake so it might be fun to order the 50 incher and see if they honor the price?

The Costco/Sam's version looks to be virtually identical this year:

http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?i...mNbr=TC-P50U50

That link is for the Canadian Costco site. That's probably why the price difference.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to derail, but I'm not going to make a new thread for this question...

In terms of bang-4-buck & general quality, is there a big difference between the Panasonic listed above and a LG 47LK520? What's your guys' opinions on this? Really appreciate the input!
post #10 of 25 Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Isn't this LG a lcd panel? I've owned several LGs, both lcd & pdps, and the panny trumps them in almost every way. I own the U54 & there's a thread set-up already here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post22101064
post #11 of 25 Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murse View Post

That link is for the Canadian Costco site. That's probably why the price difference.
Ack !! That's it. I didn't realize it was Costco Canada (it looks exactly like our US site). I also thought it was strange that they have 8 different Plasma models available. When i was on the US site several days ago they didn't have ANY Plasmas, and i just checked and they still don't have any.

I wish the foreigners would put their location under their usernames biggrin.gif

Randy
post #12 of 25 Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I also thought it was strange that they have 8 different Plasma models available.

That's probably because the Canadian demand for plasma TV's is higher. Their buying public is smarter and more knowledgeable then the average electronics consumer here in the US. wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #13 of 25 Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 AM

Don't buy this "Stupid" TV!
You are probally asking why is this guy calling it a stupid TV.
Read on.
Costco is selling this unit for $649.99 with a $100 off mfg coupon and Sams Club is selling it for $648
In Febuary Costco sold the predisesor model for the same exact price, the TC-P50S30
But buyers beware as Panasonic is ripping you off.
On the new TC-50PU54 they removed features to save money and are charging you the same price. Others may say well its the Big Box model. So I ran over to Best Buy and looked at the TC-50U50 and Panasonic removed the features on this model also.
Panasonic, Samsung and maybe others did the same thing hoping you are too stupid to notice. I verified it on the Samsung but didn't have the time to look at other mfgs.
What did they do?
They deleted the LAN port and Panasonic removed the Viera Tools, you know the internet apps!
Amazon movies, gone
Net Flicks, gone
Yes my friends they are pulling a fast one on the consumer.
So what else did they do?
You can step up to the plate and get a Smart TV!
For only $350 more you can get the LAN and the internet apps!
Do your home work. If you have to buy one you are stuck.
If not send a message, don't buy and let them collect dust on the shelf.
Don't buy this STUPID TV.
My two cents worth.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

What Panny that is similar in price and quality has the apps and LAN then?

post #15 of 25 Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 457
UT50

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #16 of 25 Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZToolman View Post

Don't buy this "Stupid" TV! You are probally asking why is this guy calling it a stupid TV. Read on. Costco is selling this unit for $649.99 with a $100 off mfg coupon and Sams Club is selling it for $648 In Febuary Costco sold the predisesor model for the same exact price, the TC-P50S30.

You're missing an important point. In February 2012 stores were blowing out the discontinued 2011 models (S30 for instance) for several hundred dollars less than the price they were at when they were first released 11 months prior. The new 2012 U50 is being sold for less than the S30 was when it was first released a year previously so it's actually cheaper than it's 2011 predecessor was a year prior. And it's a MUCH BETTER TV than the S30 could ever hope to be.

Quote:
But buyers beware as Panasonic is ripping you off. On the new TC-50PU54 they removed features to save money and are charging you the same price.

I don't understand why the rambling rant. Panasonic isn't ripping anyone off. They are not advertising or representing the U54 or U50 as being a Smart TV or having internet capability. There is nothing wrong with offering a low end model that does not have internet capability like their higher models do.

Quote:
Others may say well its the Big Box model. So I ran over to Best Buy and looked at the TC-50U50 and Panasonic removed the features on this model also.

They didn't remove anything. The U50/U54 are new stand-alone non-internet models that are intended for people who do not care for or want an internet capable TV. They never had internet capability so there's nothing to remove. Why aren't you complaining that they "removed" the Anti-Reflective Filter on the U50/U54 as well? The S30 had this but the U50/U54 do not.

Quote:
Panasonic, Samsung and maybe others did the same thing hoping you are too stupid to notice. I verified it on the Samsung but didn't have the time to look at other mfgs. What did they do? They deleted the LAN port and Panasonic removed the Viera Tools, you know the internet apps! Amazon movies, gone Net Flicks, gone Yes my friends they are pulling a fast one on the consumer.
So what else did they do? You can step up to the plate and get a Smart TV! For only $350 more you can get the LAN and the internet apps!
Do your home work. If you have to buy one you are stuck. If not send a message, don't buy and let them collect dust on the shelf. Don't buy this STUPID TV. My two cents worth.

People that shop at Costco or Sam's Club are typically older and don't even know that there are TVs out there that can connect to the internet, if they even know what the internet is in the first place. The TVs they've been watching for the past 50 years also do not have internet capability so buying a new TV at Costco or Sams doesn't deprive them of anything since they didn't have it to begin with. If someone wants an internet-capable TV, they're probably savvy enough to make sure the models they're looking are internet-capable.

And who in their right mind would pay an extra $350 just to get internet capability on their TV? If internet capability were that important to me i'd just take that $350 and spend it on a laptop computer from Office Depot and display the internet on the screen via HDMI. Or better yet, spend way less than $350 and pick up an internet-capable Blu-Ray player and watch Netflix and Amazon movies over that and be able to move it to any TV in the house, instead of being stuck watching it on one Smart TV.

And guess what - the best selling Panasonic Plasma models this year are the low-end non-Smart models according to the Panasonic executive that posts on HDJ.

Randy
post #17 of 25 Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And who in their right mind would pay an extra $350 just to get internet capability on their TV? If internet capability were that important to me i'd just take that $350 and spend it on a laptop computer from Office Depot and display the internet on the screen via HDMI. Or better yet, spend way less than $350 and pick up an internet-capable Blu-Ray player and watch Netflix and Amazon movies over that and be able to move it to any TV in the house, instead of being stuck watching it on one Smart TV.
And guess what - the best selling Panasonic Plasma models this year are the low-end non-Smart models according to the Panasonic executive that posts on HDJ.

I agree. Most consumer electronics pros recommend using a BD player or Play Station for internet access, rather then a smart TV.

Ian

post #18 of 25 Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

You're missing an important point. In February 2012 stores were blowing out the discontinued 2011 models (S30 for instance) for several hundred dollars less than the price they were at when they were first released 11 months prior. The new 2012 U50 is being sold for less than the S30 was when it was first released a year previously so it's actually cheaper than it's 2011 predecessor was a year prior. And it's a MUCH BETTER TV than the S30 could ever hope to be.
I don't understand why the rambling rant. Panasonic isn't ripping anyone off. They are not advertising or representing the U54 or U50 as being a Smart TV or having internet capability. There is nothing wrong with offering a low end model that does not have internet capability like their higher models do.

They didn't remove anything. The U50/U54 are new stand-alone non-internet models that are intended for people who do not care for or want an internet capable TV. They never had internet capability so there's nothing to remove. Why aren't you complaining that they "removed" the Anti-Reflective Filter on the U50/U54 as well? The S30 had this but the U50/U54 do not.
People that shop at Costco or Sam's Club are typically older and don't even know that there are TVs out there that can connect to the internet, if they even know what the internet is in the first place. The TVs they've been watching for the past 50 years also do not have internet capability so buying a new TV at Costco or Sams doesn't deprive them of anything since they didn't have it to begin with. If someone wants an internet-capable TV, they're probably savvy enough to make sure the models they're looking are internet-capable.
Im 73,shop at Sam's and Costco and have a PNE6500 plus a PND6500 with a computer,too.I think I know what internet is!

WAP 16.

post #19 of 25 Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

Im 73,shop at Sam's and Costco and have a PNE6500 plus a PND6500 with a computer,too.I think I know what internet is!

I'm getting a little tired of "ageism" myself. I'm 62, own and use a PS3 for gaming, Netflix, and BD. I have 3 devices that can do streaming video (4 if you count the tv itself, but it's not connected to the internet because I prefer the separate box solution.) My soon to be 93 year old Dad still I
checks his e-mail every day, and bought his Sony LCD off the internet.

I sell tvs and while it's true that some seniors need to have their grandkids set up their new sets I've run into plenty of supposedly savvy youngsters who can't tell the difference between an input and an output on their sets.

Steve S.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 11
Me too I'm 68. My 6 yr old Toshiba DLP TV packed it in 2 weeks ago (thank god, it was a terrible piece of crap - great picture though) . Anyway,being on a small pension, but still desiring to upgrade my DVD player to BluRay, I researched carefully and came up with this Costco combo Panasonic TV -TC50PU54 and Sony BluRay with Internet. Both were on sale last week.
One thing I would like to comment on is how easy it was to set up the TV. Great job Panasonic, As for the Sony, pretty well incomprehensible guidelines provided. Fortunately the phone reps I talked to over several days were very helpful and I eventually got it sorted. Now I'm good to go. When not watching BluRay it's Crackle movies every night whether my wife likes it or not (Zombie Strippers, Candy Strippers, Insanitarium). It can't get any better than that can it!smile.gif Divorce imminent!eek.gif
Dave

Last week at a party, I was dancing with my neighbours wife when she rubbed against me, put her hand on my butt, slid her tongue into my ear and said " I want you to take me upstairs and spank me". I said "I can't think of any reason to spank you. Your behavior has been absolutely perfect so far."
post #21 of 25 Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgolfing View Post

Now I'm good to go. When not watching BluRay it's Crackle movies every night whether my wife likes it or not (Zombie Strippers, Candy Strippers, Insanitarium). It can't get any better than that can it!smile.gif Divorce imminent!eek.gif
Dave

Ian biggrin.gif

post #22 of 25 Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM

You are really, really going to love this set. I bought the same set last week and I must say it has the most beautiful picture I have ever seen on a HDTV. I have owned two before this. One a 2008 Samsung 46" LCD 60 hz and a 2010 Vizio 42" 120 hz LCD.
The small strong metal (not plastic) frame of the set along with the razor sharp picture (1080P) with the 600hz refresh rate is what made me purchase this model.
Sincerely,
Bill Prieto
Conyers, Georgia
post #23 of 25 Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Well said about the advertising. This is NOT a "smart" hdtv and does not have a wireless connection. (which I could care less about) I bought this set (the tcp50U54 and LOVE IT! The color rendition, the quality of the build and the fluidity of the action of sports is fabulous. I had always wanted a plasma and had two other Lcd's before buying this set. I have a blu ray player that streams internet content so I did not need a smart tv. I got this from an ebay buyer after selling off my older Samsung 46" set which was a power board repair project.
All my friends at work are jealous of my find. $250 selling price of my older Samsung and buying this ebay find for $475 put me back a whopping $225!
Talk to you later,
A fellow A/V enthusiast
post #24 of 25 Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 AM

I dont know why people care so much about smart tv. If you are just looking for a good picture without those features you can easily make you tv smart with certain blue ray players or as I do it wiht a lap top that plays hi def material and has a hdmi out that carries hi def video 1080p and audio. I download blue ray rips and they look unbelievable.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent165 View Post

I dont know why people care so much about smart tv. If you are just looking for a good picture without those features you can easily make you tv smart with certain blue ray players or as I do it wiht a lap top that plays hi def material and has a hdmi out that carries hi def video 1080p and audio. I download blue ray rips and they look unbelievable.

I'm not a big fan smart TV's. I have a 2 smart BD players and a Roku and the Roku works best in terms of selection and navigation. Also, manufacturers only up date the streaming firmware for about 2 years. Most out board streamers do it continuously.

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50u50 Plasma Tv , Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page