Help! Letterbox bar burn in... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, my parent bought a tv like 4 months back and now it suffers from letterbox burn ins, top and bottom. They did send it away to see if the warranty would help but no, it didn't. So now they are stuck with it. Is there anyway to reverse this problem? I have googled but i don't find much about this problem. I even talked to Samsung and they said that we should play the rolling bar function for at least 1 hour a day for at leat 15 days and the problem would go away.

So my question is, is this the only way? Is there another way? Can it be fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You didn't say what tv it is but try not watching anything letter boxed for a week or more and see if it gets better. If it does just continue doing that until it is gone. Or no letter box AND put the tv on antenna to an untuned signal that produces white noise and let that run all night while they sleep and/or are not watching tv.

Tell them not to watch the white noise or they may see spirits trying to communicate. biggrin.gifwink.gif

post #3 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

You didn't say what tv it is but try not watching anything letter boxed for a week or more and see if it gets better. If it does just continue doing that until it is gone. Or no letter box AND put the tv on antenna to an untuned signal that produces white noise and let that run all night while they sleep and/or are not watching tv.
Tell them not to watch the white noise or they may see spirits trying to communicate. biggrin.gifwink.gif

It's a Samsung 455-model. I have told them to run the TV in zoomed mode and use the built in rolling bar feature. Is the white noise better you think?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing guys? frown.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
No one else is commenting because those are the only options you have. You can go out and buy the WOW disk and try the pixel flipper if you want to. Other than that....

White noise and regular programming work about the same, one may just work faster than the other and doesn't contain letter boxes or logo bugs.

post #6 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke87 View Post

Nothing guys? frown.gif

If you can disable your antenna output, try running a white snowy screen in the vivid/display mode for several hours a day. After a few days, maybe as much as a week, you should see an improvement.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Agreed - you aren't getting many responses because there's simply not much you can do. While burn-in may be less of an issue than in years past, it is (at least in my opinion) inherent to plasma technology. I've had two Panasonic plasmas (a 42" which I've since given to my in-laws and a 50" which is in my basement) which both exhibit image retention but are not 'burnt in' - largely because I've pampered them since day one. I've never considered this to be a significant issue until I purchased my first LED television (a 60" Elite). I will admit that while I still enjoy my 50" plasma, not having to babysit the Elite (or better said, making sure my wife doesn't leave static images on the screen for extended periods of time) is a big relief and is a primary reason why any future purchases will be LED (or perhaps OLED). Wish we could offer better news, buddy!
post #8 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it permanent burn-in or just image retention? How long as it been there? I believe burn-in you can see when the screen is off. I can't verify this because I've never had burn-in on my plasmas, only IR.

Your best bets are just running full screen content at very bright settings.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys, i will try what you've said, run white noise for hours and hours and maybe mixing it up with the Break-In slides? Hopefully it will fade away a little and not be so noticeable.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
You can try the picture attached Burn-in letterbox inverse Blur Better.jpg 178k .jpg file

It is white bars on top and black in the middle of the screen. The idea is to even out the phosphor usage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burn-in letterbox inverse Blur Better.jpg (177.6 KB, 46 views)
QuiGonJosh likes this.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #11 of 11 Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

You can try the picture attached Burn-in letterbox inverse Blur Better.jpg 178k .jpg file
It is white bars on top and black in the middle of the screen. The idea is to even out the phosphor usage.

That's awesome. I watch a lot of 2.35:1 material and this will definitely come in handy! Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page