Please tell me how bright your viewing room is - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned a TC-P55GT30 a few months ago. I just could not get it bright enough for my bright room. Yes, it had an amazing picture when viewed at night but just gave up on trying to calibrate to my liking. I bought a Sharp 6400 LCD LED but the motion judder is not good with it's edge lit screen. If you can tell me the TC-P60ST50 can be viewed well in a bright room, I'll get it today. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The best tech for a bright room is a conventional flourescent backlit LCD. NOT an LED model and NOT an edge-lit model of any type. We are talking about a relatively thick set, not a slim model. You also should select a model with a matte finish screen to kill reflections, even with dark room furnishings there is often something light colored (such as people's clothing) that will reflect off the screen.

My viewing room is extremely bright, with large windows and double glass doors on all four sides. (The fourth side opens into an open courtyard in the center of my house.) There are only partial light controlling draperies and roller shades.

I find it helpfull to tweek two of the viewing modes, one for nighttime use and one for daytime. For nighttime I have calibrated the "Movie" mode for reduced artificial light, including reduced backlighting to deepen the blacks. For daytime use I have tweeked "Normal" mode with increased backlighting and contrast, for when the drapes are drawn. When the drapes are open, the TV's "Dynamic" mode must be used - but you can't really tweek that ((you can tweek the colors but not the grayscale). But the picture is usable in full bright California sunlight.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have a bank of 3 windows to the right of my 60GT50. I watch in THX bright room with the contrast at 90 and brightness at 48 and it is so much better than the lcd it replaced. wink.gif

post #4 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM

My friend, when i turn on TV and i wanna watch something i adjusts lighting for TV, not vice versa.
My advice is that you covered the the windows when you watch it.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-08-2012, 06:35 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
The GT50 is brighter than the old TV in this picture:

LL

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #6 of 12 Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 PM

Liked: 13
I agree with Gary on this matter. The best tech is LCD and not LED edgelit.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have 2 patio doors and 2 windows in my living room. I have the old Samsung PN58B650 and it's been fine for almost 2 and a half years now.

One patio door is right next to the TV.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 11
I have a cheap Insignia (manufactured by Samsung) plasma (will be replaced with an UT50, ST50, or E6500 soon) and I have a patio slider and four LARGE windows. Two have blackout shades, but the other two don't. I'd say my room ends up being on the bright end of moderately lit or the dim end of brightly lit. My TV is viewable with all but the darkest of scenes.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post

I have a cheap Insignia (manufactured by Samsung) plasma (will be replaced with an UT50, ST50, or E6500 soon) and I have a patio slider and four LARGE windows. Two have blackout shades, but the other two don't. I'd say my room ends up being on the bright end of moderately lit or the dim end of brightly lit. My TV is viewable with all but the darkest of scenes.

Don't buy the UT50, it doesn't have a filter and you're going to get all kinds of mirror quality glare. The ST50 will handle all your light much better than the other two.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Don't buy the UT50, it doesn't have a filter and you're going to get all kinds of mirror quality glare. The ST50 will handle all your light much better than the other two.

CNET seems to rate the Samsung E6500 a little higher than the Panasonic ST50 in term of bright room performance. This is a quote from the CNET's review:

"The ST50 showed slightly gray blacks compared with the E6500 under full sunlight, with the screens facing an open window during daytime. If you had a toss-up between the two plasma TVs and daytime usage in a very bright room was one of the main considerations, this difference would tip us in favor of the Samsung"

Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60e6500/4505-6482_7-35159642.htm

post #11 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The reason people buy lcds for bright rooms is that they can get much brighter than plasmas.

I'm not exactly crazy about this reviewer and must admit that I know little about him. But this may be an example of one of the reasons why, before your quote he stated the following, which doesn't exactly support his recommendation:

The one caveat to this is that the Samsung is limited by the amount of light it can put out in the only good picture mode, Movie, so contrast and pop aren't quite as good as on the Panasonic plasmas we've tested.

When he said that the ST50 was slightly grey, I have to wonder what state it was in when he viewed it, where it was in relation to the Samsung, etc. Having owned a GT50, I find his recommendation hard to believe since when watching Game of Thrones during the day I saw no evidence of gray that was not accurate. I posted a few pictures taken during the day on the GT50 thread if you'd like to take a look.

In addition, this review seems to indicate that the 3D isn't very good at all.

I'm not understanding why one would want to limit their viewing to only "one good picture mode" either, unless of course one has a controlled environment. Bright rooms are not always bright. D-Nice has stated that he can get a second satisfying mode from the ST50.

However, if that tv meets your needs it sounds like it's a good buy.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancas View Post

I returned a TC-P55GT30 a few months ago. I just could not get it bright enough for my bright room. Yes, it had an amazing picture when viewed at night but just gave up on trying to calibrate to my liking. I bought a Sharp 6400 LCD LED but the motion judder is not good with it's edge lit screen. If you can tell me the TC-P60ST50 can be viewed well in a bright room, I'll get it today. Thanks in advance
The st50 and gt50 have the same filtering and pq so switching to the st won't help you. In a bright room the gt50 is actually better/easier to use with it's thx bright room/dark room settings, you can easily use the tv daytime or nighttime.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page