Dents behind the bezel of a brand new Panasonic plasma. Should I be worried? (Pics) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post

I do warranty repair on tv's occasionally, and i can tell you this.
If you ever have to have that TV repaired, they are gonna send a repair guy out there. That repair guy will inspect the TV for damage before attempting his repair. If he notices that dent, that could be a problem and may stop you from getting free warranty repair. Also, taking off the cover to smooth those dents will void your warranty. Something you do not want to do.
I suggest either call the manufacturer, and have these dents well documented, save all conversations you have with them and put them up for safe keeping. Also call Pauls, or where-ever you bought it, and ask for a gift certificate or some cash back for compensation. otherwise......
Take the TV Set back, and get a new one, as long as your within 30 days of the purchase date, the retailer should take it back no questions asked.

Thanks. That's an angle I hadn't thought about. That makes sense that a repair guy would be suspicious if he came out to fix a TV and saw all these unusual dents. He could easily think I caused the damage and I wouldn't blame him for thinking that. That makes me even more glad that my brand new replacement ST50 will be delivered soon. (See my other posts above.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 PM

Liked: 14
opened mouth before using eyes to read right! lol
post #33 of 36 Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

I can't believe nobody has jumped on this. it sounds like you are all set but somebody at pauls or in the factory tried to pull a fast one on you.
This fact alone made it a no-brainer to exchange the tv.

Good catch - managed to completely miss that statement until you pointed it out!

We checked the serial number on the box against the one on the panel for each set delivered - or picked up - and THINK that the Delivery Crew for Amazon may have initiated that, at time of Delivery as well as pick up. (Know for a fact that they did it when PICKING UP a panel!)
post #34 of 36 Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

I can't believe nobody has jumped on this. it sounds like you are all set but somebody at pauls or in the factory tried to pull a fast one on you.
This fact alone made it a no-brainer to exchange the tv.

Thanks for the input but you may want to read my statement again. I said the serial number on the TV matched the serial number on the box.
post #35 of 36 Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 14
duh on me! lol sorry read it wrong
post #36 of 36 Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

This is my last update (hopefully)....

The replacement set arrived this afternoon. They gave me a 5 hour delivery window...so of course the delivery guy ended up being late. Anyway, I made sure to inspect the TV top to bottom this time while the driver was still there. Thankfully, no dents this time!!

The only thing I saw that made me feel slightly nervous was that one of the bottom corners of the box had obviously sustained a decent impact at some point. From the looks of it, I'd say a large sized portion of the corner area had pushed in about an inch whenever the impact happened. There was no damage whatsoever to the styrofoam supports inside so that made me feel better.

The TV itself also seems to be working fine. The only bummer now is that I'm running those godforsaken D-Nice slides again so I'll have to wait another 4 days before I can really enjoy the TV again. I'm sure all of this will be worth it in the end.

(Edit: Paul's TV has this 50" ST50 on sale for $999.99 this weekend! I called them up and they made good on their 30 day price guarantee on my new TV. They're giving me a refund on the price difference first thing Monday morning. And I thought what I paid originally was a good deal! $999.99 for this TV is a steal IMO. biggrin.gif)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays