Dents behind the bezel of a brand new Panasonic plasma. Should I be worried? (Pics) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my new 50" ST50 from Paul's TV a few days ago. The TV and all the accessories & documentation seemed perfectly brand new and in great shape when I unboxed everything. But today I noticed that the top of metal casing behind the bezel is a little wavy. In fact there's one area that I would call a good old fashioned dent. The indentations are only noticeable when the light hits them just right but you can see them pretty well in these pictures. **Another curious thing is that a few of the screws in the back of the set were loose enough for me to unscrew with my fingers.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Would this just be a general quality control issue that happened in the manufacturing process?

I also thought of the possibility that Paul's may have sent me a refurbished set. Thinking this, I went into the service menu to check how many hours are on the display. It showed around 60 hours used which is exactly how long I've been running D-Nice's slides.

So what do you guys think? I have no plans to return the set because of this but I'm just curious what other people would do in this situation.

Thanks!!

(Also, before anyone says I should have inspected the set while the delivery guy was here.... My condo is on the 8th floor of my building and the delivery company's policy was that they only deliver to the ground floor..no elevators, etc. I would have had to unbox everything on the side of a busy street in this case. I'm sure they wouldn't have waited for me to do this anyway.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, take this into account. No one will ever see, that, except for you. If you put it up on the wall then for sure no one will see that. What I would do, however, is call PaulsTV. Tell them about your situation, and tell them how you were not able to inspect it on the busy floor level. Ask them what they can do about it to make you (the customer) happy. Just make sure you sound very unhappy or they won't try to please you.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Jawzey, I'm hearing you. The last thing I want to do is return the set, though. I think I could probably massage the dents out myself but I'd have to remove the cover. I'm just wondering how these dents and ripples got there. And why were some of the screws loose?? I'm assuming a human assembles these at the factory. It's just a weird thing to me. rolleyes.gif

Anybody else want to chime in?
post #4 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
you just paid a lot of money for a new set, not a used one or a damaged one. Personally, I would call the retailer and get it exchanged.

My Gear
post #5 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
It looks like something damaged the set somehow before you got it - it's not likely that the assembly plant would have packed that TV with such an obvious dent in the top where it's clearly visible. I would compare the serial number on the TV's sticker to the sticker on the box and see if they match. I'm wondering if they removed that TV from the box to use as a store display then somehow dropped something on it, then quietly put it back in the box and stashed it back in the warehouse to keep from getting in trouble.....

I'd find out if the driver is supposed to wait 30 seconds while you inspect the TV for damage, and i'd also insist on a no-charge replacement. It takes literally 10 seconds to pop the upper half of the box off which exposes the whole upper 2/3rds of the set and allows for easy inspection for physical damage - we've done it at curbside before and even once on the back of the truck before unloading the TV.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Randy.

I just checked the serial numbers and the number on the set does match the number on the box. This situation is strange because everything in the box seemed perfectly factory sealed and brand new to me. The plastic wrap and stickers around the bezel were factory fresh as well. I also checked the hours used on the set in the service menu and the hours listed matched the hours I've had it running. I think I will go ahead and call Paul's and explain the situation and see what they say.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with Pau's TV. I just shot straight with them and explained the situation. I was a little surprised at the customer service agent's attitude. He actually talked down to me about the situation which I wasn't expecting at all because they have been great to me until now.

Anyway, he asked me to take all sorts of pictures of the TV and the box and they would file a claim with the delivery company. I told him it doesn't look like the damage happened during delivery, though, but I guess that must not matter. We'll see what happens next!!
post #8 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma-black View Post

I just got off the phone with Pau's TV. I just shot straight with them and explained the situation. I was a little surprised at the customer service agent's attitude. He actually talked down to me about the situation which I wasn't expecting at all because they have been great to me until now.
Anyway, he asked me to take all sorts of pictures of the TV and the box and they would file a claim with the delivery company. I told him it doesn't look like the damage happened during delivery, though, but I guess that must not matter. We'll see what happens next!!

Did you order it from their site or from a store? If you ordered it from one of their stores I would advise calling that number, not the direct number to Pauls. Best of luck to you though! I recently got a 42UT50 and I wouldn't be happy either, but then again no one sees it. But then again, you paid big money for this set so this is no bueno.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

Did you order it from their site or from a store? If you ordered it from one of their stores I would advise calling that number, not the direct number to Pauls. Best of luck to you though! I recently got a 42UT50 and I wouldn't be happy either, but then again no one sees it. But then again, you paid big money for this set so this is no bueno.

That's a good idea about calling the store instead. There was a manager in one of their stores in California that originally helped me with this order. I almost hate to call him, though. Long story, but there was a problem involving the price and an online promo code when I bought the TV. We were going back and forth for a few days before everything got straightened out. And now there's this problem with the dents.

Honestly, when I noticed these indentations I just wanted to pretend like I didn't see them because I know it's usually such a pain to go through a return process....unless you're dealing with Amazon. I started to buy from Amazon for this very same reason but Paul's price was over $100 cheaper. Something to think about next time I guess.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:

That's a good idea about calling the store instead. There was a manager in one of their stores in California that originally helped me with this order. I almost hate to call him, though. Long story, but there was a problem involving the price and an online promo code when I bought the TV. We were going back and forth for a few days before everything got straightened out. And now there's this problem with the dents.
Honestly, when I noticed these indentations I just wanted to pretend like I didn't see them because I know it's usually such a pain to go through a return process....unless you're dealing with Amazon. I started to buy from Amazon for this very same reason but Paul's price was over $100 cheaper. Something to think about next time I guess.

Don't feel intimidated. Just give them a call and tell them what happened. Tell them you want a local Paul's that is near you to come and swap the TV out with a different one. If there is a Paul's near you then they should be able to do it. If there isn't, and you don't want to deal with a return process, just keep the set and ask them for some sort of IOU or store credit, since a return is too much of a hassle to go through.
post #11 of 36 Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 AM

This won't help you now, but this is why I buy everything through best buy. If the price is off they will price match and if something is damaged they have the best customer service as far as returns.

Best of luck to you, I hope it comes out in your favor.

My Gear
post #12 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 11
Return it, don't risk it.

This could be an issue in the long run.

I too received my Panny just a few days ago and could not inspect it because...I was at work.

I would return it, get a refund, call up amazon have them price match pauls tv and get the set through amazon. I have returned 2 sets that have had issues and yes it's a hassle having to box everything back up but you're either getting your money back or exchanging for the same or different set. So far amazon has been solid about returns, refunds or exchanges.

Off topic question though - you mentioned running D-Nice's slides on your set....is it worth running the slides for 100hrs?
post #13 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyamomz View Post

Return it, don't risk it.
This could be an issue in the long run.
I too received my Panny just a few days ago and could not inspect it because...I was at work.
I would return it, get a refund, call up amazon have them price match pauls tv and get the set through amazon. I have returned 2 sets that have had issues and yes it's a hassle having to box everything back up but you're either getting your money back or exchanging for the same or different set. So far amazon has been solid about returns, refunds or exchanges.
Off topic question though - you mentioned running D-Nice's slides on your set....is it worth running the slides for 100hrs?

I think you're right about returning it. What ever caused these dents must have been a pretty hard impact because that metal seems pretty sturdy. I'm also hearing you about your Amazon advice. I probably should have just followed my first instinct and bought from them from the beginning.

As far as D-Nice's slides go... Everything I've read said that the set would have a better overall picture if you allow the slides to prep the panel for the 100 hours and then calibrate using his settings. D-Nice and others made a pretty compelling argument in favor of it so I gave it shot. One thing they say is that the display has a certain amount of color shift during those 100 hours so that's why it's important to calibrate after that time.

Believe it or not, I could actually see a difference in the color of the slides towards the end of the process. I'm in the graphics and printing industry so I guess my eye is trained to see that sort of thing. The green seemed to start off as a grass green but ended up brighter and more fluorescent. The red also started out a deeper red and ended up being lighter and brighter.

I will say that the picture quality looked outstanding afterwards with D-Nice's settings. The set just finished the slides last night so I haven't had a lot of time to really check it out yet. The only thing I changed so far was I set the color temperature to Normal instead of Warm2 like he has. The Warm2 setting gave everything a yellowish tint that I didn't like.

Hope that helps.
post #14 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

This won't help you now, but this is why I buy everything through best buy. If the price is off they will price match and if something is damaged they have the best customer service as far as returns.
Best of luck to you, I hope it comes out in your favor.

Agreed on the wishing you luck.

As for retailers, I think putting Costco and Amazon in the same pantheon as Best Buy is more than fair.

Costco will take anything back for 90 days. Amazon will take anything back for (I believe) 30. Neither gives you grief about it either.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #15 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Liked: 31
Don't massage them out...don't remove the cover...you'll void your warranty.
I say go for a new one...or request a full refund and pick it up.
post #16 of 36 Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I would exchange it, but I'd hate the hassle. I've seen warping in some cheap bezel plastic, but since this is the rear metal casing it's a bigger deal IMO. Something had to have happened to the TV before it got to you, even it works fine.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #17 of 36 Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 AM

I love Amazon too, but for electronics, I have a best buy right in town so it's easy for me to got there, no shipping, just drive 5 minutes.

My Gear
post #18 of 36 Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Good luck with Pauls TV. I bought a VT30 there, and had picture quality issues. They won't do anything, they'll pass around your phone call, never call you back, and then finally give you another number and so fourth. Best of luck, hope it works out for you, but in future, I wouldn't buy from there again.
post #19 of 36 Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

you just paid a lot of money for a new set, not a used one or a damaged one. Personally, I would call the retailer and get it exchanged.

+1

Paul
post #20 of 36 Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I would exchange as well. Good luck!

On another note, where are D-Nice's settings posted? Does he have them for all the 2012 Panasonic lines?
Quote:

I will say that the picture quality looked outstanding afterwards with D-Nice's settings
post #21 of 36 Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

I would exchange as well. Good luck!
On another note, where are D-Nice's settings posted? Does he have them for all the 2012 Panasonic lines?

Mac13, You probably know this by now...but D-Nice's settings can be found at "high def junkies dot com". Some advice...Make sure you follow the steps exactly. **Also make sure the photo viewer itself is set to be in Custom picture mode. You can find this by pressing Menu on the remote while you're in the Media Player photo viewer.

(I think some people thought that the TV had to be in Custom mode in the main picture menu only. D-Nice's setting won't be any good if you don't change the photo viewer picture mode to Custom.)
post #22 of 36 Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

A quick update to my situation...

Paul's TV agreed to exchange the TV at no cost to me. The replacement is already on the way. They first offered to just give me some money off on the set I have now but I wasn't interested. I didn't even ask the dollar amount they had in mind. I told them I would just feel more comfortable with a new set since there's no way to know when/where/how this damage took place.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and input! The ST50 truly is a great TV and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Just make sure you inspect in closely the second it gets to you...no matter what!
post #23 of 36 Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

....Paul's TV agreed to exchange the TV at no cost to me....They first offered to just give me some money off on the set I have now but I wasn't interested. I didn't even ask the dollar amount ...

Sounds like this is working itself out as it should - and think it was nice that Paul's gave you a pair of options.

Even though I agree with the other comments that an Exchange is a better solution than Cash Back, I don't think it was out-of-bounds for Paul's to offer a partial refund on the set: had it been a large enough amount, might have proved an interesting option.

At the same time, probably would have insisted upon a Free Extended Warranty - IN Addition to whatever refund they offered - just for peace of mind. And, of course, there is a good chance they would have balked at that combination!

Hope your replacement panel works out well!
post #24 of 36 Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 32
I woould've taken the partial refund if it were me...
post #25 of 36 Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM

I've done that on appliances that have damage on the hidden panels, but damage on the center point of a room that has very sensitive componenets makes me a little uneasy.

My Gear
post #26 of 36 Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That's completely normal with Panasonic plasmas. I don't know why but it is. Google VT30 dent. Matter of fact i posted about the rear of mine along with others last December on AVS, so yes its Ugly and unpleasnt to look at but normal. My VT30 had little lumpy parts on the rear. Granted some are worse than others and mine isn't as noticable but the dents are normal. I don't understand why. Same thing with Panasonic using screws that are too long for the rear of the VT30 top. They clearly don't care too much about the rear of the panels.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #27 of 36 Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

That's completely normal with Panasonic plasmas. I don't know why but it is. Google VT30 dent. Matter of fact i posted about the rear of mine along with others last December on AVS, so yes its Ugly and unpleasnt to look at but normal. My VT30 had little lumpy parts on the rear. Granted some are worse than others and mine isn't as noticable but the dents are normal. I don't understand why. Same thing with Panasonic using screws that are too long for the rear of the VT30 top. They clearly don't care too much about the rear of the panels.

It's not completely normal, i've seen the backs of dozens of Panasonics and none of em have lumps or dents or baseball bat impressions along the top. And i don't see what a lumpy rear cover on a few VT30s has to do with mystery damage along the top of the OP's ST50.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #28 of 36 Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

I recently got a tv from Amazon (not this make/model) that also had a similar dent on the top of the set, to the point where the screen looked somewhat warped at that point. Luckily I noticed it while the delivery folks were unpacking. In my noobness, I asked the delivery folks to pack it and take it back. Amazon took care of things, though I was miffed I didn't get to enjoy my tv for another 5 days. What I should have done was test if it turned on, and kept the tv while Amazon shipped the replacement.

Sorry to hear about PaulTV's lack of service.

Surprised someone got great service at Best Buy... they're also folks I usually have problems with, at least in the past, except for their Pacific Sales section.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #29 of 36 Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It's not completely normal, i've seen the backs of dozens of Panasonics and none of em have lumps or dents or baseball bat impressions along the top. And i don't see what a lumpy rear cover on a few VT30s has to do with mystery damage along the top of the OP's ST50.

Not all sets experience the issue. And not all are as drastic. I would've exchanged to for his exact problem. But the fact remains that many Panasonics come with weird lumps and dents in the rear. Which by any ones definition makes it normal.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #30 of 36 Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM

I do warranty repair on tv's occasionally, and i can tell you this.

If you ever have to have that TV repaired, they are gonna send a repair guy out there. That repair guy will inspect the TV for damage before attempting his repair. If he notices that dent, that could be a problem and may stop you from getting free warranty repair. Also, taking off the cover to smooth those dents will void your warranty. Something you do not want to do.

I suggest either call the manufacturer, and have these dents well documented, save all conversations you have with them and put them up for safe keeping. Also call Pauls, or where-ever you bought it, and ask for a gift certificate or some cash back for compensation. otherwise......

Take the TV Set back, and get a new one, as long as your within 30 days of the purchase date, the retailer should take it back no questions asked.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page