Panasonic TC P60ST30 - Cracked Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. Well, it happened. My 9 month old Panasonic plasma in the basement "just stopped working" according to my 10 year old. I saw it working fine last night when he was watching it and he told me this morning that it just clicked off at 10 pm. The red light is flashing 7 times and wont turn on at all now and when i inspected the screen, i saw the cracks, clearly from some kind of point impact. There had been a bunch of kids playing in the basement over the last couple of days and I believe my son when he tells me he has no idea how it could have happened. Is it possible that it could have happened earlier in the day or the day before and then later died? Or would it definitely have died immediately on impact? I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Also, is there any way to salvage it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most likely the cost of a new panel and labor would exceed the cost of a new TV. The only thing you could salvage is the boards in the TV: Main board, power supply, SS. The SC board most likely went bad if the panel was cracked. If the TV was on when it got hit it would have shutdown immediately or the first time you turned it on.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

So here, the screen was cracked earlier in the day, maybe the day before and the tv kept working for a while and then shut down and gave the 7 blinking red light signal. Is it possible that the cracked screen did not cause the shutdown? If not, what else could cause that shutdown and is it potentially fixable?
post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 AM

I would call Panasonic and talk to them and tell them that it shut off and you got the 7 blinking lights. I just went through the whole process (took a long two months) but Panasonic did replace my TV. They ended up replacing the panel and another board (not the A-board).
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikatabby View Post

Hi all. Well, it happened. My 9 month old Panasonic plasma in the basement "just stopped working" according to my 10 year old. I saw it working fine last night when he was watching it and he told me this morning that it just clicked off at 10 pm. The red light is flashing 7 times and wont turn on at all now and when i inspected the screen, i saw the cracks, clearly from some kind of point impact. There had been a bunch of kids playing in the basement over the last couple of days and I believe my son when he tells me he has no idea how it could have happened. Is it possible that it could have happened earlier in the day or the day before and then later died? Or would it definitely have died immediately on impact? I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Also, is there any way to salvage it? Thanks

It is possible that the TV suffered an internal failure that occurred with enough force to crack the panel from behind, and it was not broken by someone throwing something at it.

Read this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401206/plasma-screen-cracked-panasonic-60s30#post_21811102

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
It is apparently possible to have a board malfunction that damages the panel, but that is usually accompanied by a loud "pop", not just a click off as your son described.

Usually when the panel cracks, the picture disappears immediately, and if the TV is left on, boards get destroyed afterwards. Strange that your son doesn't tell you until the following morning, instead of 10PM when it happened. Did you discover the non-functioning TV, before your son told you?

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 494
My cracked GT25 continued to work for weeks, there was a rapidly expanding dark area but depending on the severity of the crack they can function for a while. You are better off just replacing it unfortunately.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the crack has an impact point (spider crack) is will be hard to get covered under warranty. It may be worth a shot depending on what it looks like. I've seen panels crack before but they usually are straight line cracks. Call Panasonic and take some pictures to submit to them.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM

I had that spider web crack on the bottom part of my screen, I heard so much about how Panasonic was not going to cover it, even the repair guy had doubts about whether Panasonic would repair the set but they approved it. Just be nice to the concierge department and explain what happened as clearly as possible. I mean, it sounds like you believe your son damaged the TV.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 494
So you are saying Panny replaced your set after it was damaged as a result of an object hitting the screen ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page