Panasonic ST50 image retention, please help! - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #751 of 769 Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Member
 
Dameaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by superslav View Post

Panel is 2 weeks old, sent to Panasonic for to get checked before getting a refund, Im getting a LED TV, not taking any chances with plasma anymore.

you shouldnt have to be bothered by babying your TV. if you want to play a game for a few hours... you should be able to without having to jump through all kinds of hoops to make sure your screen isnt ruined.

Panasonic is now halting all plasma display manufacturing and cancelling all future lines starting in december. its about time plasma went away and we get some better technology that doesnt require a life plan in order to use it.
8ohms likes this.
Dameaus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 769 Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 7,057
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
I watch whatever I want for as long as I want and don't have IR issues. If you are hysterical about it then Plasma probably isnt for you.

55EG9100 calibrated by Chad_B
55ST60
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
chunon is offline  
post #753 of 769 Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Member
 
dioxholster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameaus View Post

you shouldnt have to be bothered by babying your TV. if you want to play a game for a few hours... you should be able to without having to jump through all kinds of hoops to make sure your screen isnt ruined.

Panasonic is now halting all plasma display manufacturing and cancelling all future lines starting in december. its about time plasma went away and we get some better technology that doesnt require a life plan in order to use it.

OLED is worse than plasma for image retention. so no the problem isnt going away.
dioxholster is offline  
post #754 of 769 Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 AM
Senior Member
 
8ohms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I've tried all of the suggestions offered here. Scrolling Bar and Pixel Flipper and I can still see the faint IR of the MSNBC bar and logo in the upper portion of my brand new television after only buying this TV in July. With time, will it go away? I hope so. Cause I really love this Plasma TV, but my eyes are often distracted by the IR of that stupid MSNBC logo bar. And Panasonic is offering ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but the same as everyone here. I want this TV replace. Has any else here had a TV replaced by Panasonic suffering from the same issue? Message me please. And if you've had any success with the same issue. Please let me know.

Thanks
8ohms is offline  
post #755 of 769 Old 12-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Newbie
 
mashsladies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

better speakers, dual core processor and smart evolution expansion slot which may be valuable in the future. Noboby knows yet, but i could imagine for example 48fps playback etc. new standars could be upgraded with that.

1bHk

mashsladies is offline  
post #756 of 769 Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
carminepesce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hey again guys, I need to ease this worried mind, please!!! I just recently noticed the SNY channel logo on my screen, basically on very bright colored screens...I was watching baseball, on average 3 1/2-4 hours for 4-5 days so needless to say the channel logo is still visible. Could this be permanent or can i stop worrying that it will fade over time???

Thanks so much guys!!!
Carmine.
carminepesce is offline  
post #757 of 769 Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
burn in burned out

Hi Guys - newbie but came to this thread (and others like it - I've posted this reply on another site too) when I had stupidly paused a BR with a very high contrast silhouette skyline and wandered off - - - for several hours. My TX-P50GT60B had clear screen burn evident for hours afterwards and showed no sign of clearing. Most of the chat here and elsewhere is extremely interesting, but most of it is fairly doom-laden. Felt like throwing myself off - well, a fairly high doorstep at the very least, as I love the set. But - and I suppose there may be unforeseen consequential damage you savvy people might know that I don't - I have just finished using a screen wipe thingummy I found on YouTube which has worked! But - and I suppose there may be unforeseen consequential damage you savvy people might know that I don't - I have just finished using a screen wipe thingummy I found on YouTube which has worked! Well, at least pretty much so - it's a ghost of its former self (haha) after I ran it for around an hour or so. I'll be trying a bit more later on, but it's much more livable with already. So I thought I'd pass it on: it's known as 'Screen Burn In Fix Ghosting Fix' and the address is:




I hope it helps someone. Me, I'm very relieved. Now if only I could cure the irritating floating black levels I get, despite lots of people saying this had been sorted by the time my set came into being . . .

Last edited by Lee-S; 08-12-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Lee-S is offline  
post #758 of 769 Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Member
 
TL24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-S View Post
Hi Guys - newbie but came to this thread (and others like it - I've posted this reply on another site too) when I had stupidly paused a BR with a very high contrast silhouette skyline and wandered off - - - for several hours. My TX-P50GT60B had clear screen burn evident for hours afterwards and showed no sign of clearing. Most of the chat here and elsewhere is extremely interesting, but most of it is fairly doom-laden. Felt like throwing myself off - well, a fairly high doorstep at the very least, as I love the set. But - and I suppose there may be unforeseen consequential damage you savvy people might know that I don't - I have just finished using a screen wipe thingummy I found on YouTube which has worked! But - and I suppose there may be unforeseen consequential damage you savvy people might know that I don't - I have just finished using a screen wipe thingummy I found on YouTube which has worked! Well, at least pretty much so - it's a ghost of its former self (haha) after I ran it for around an hour or so. I'll be trying a bit more later on, but it's much more livable with already. So I thought I'd pass it on: it's known as 'Screen Burn In Fix Ghosting Fix' and the address is:




I hope it helps someone. Me, I'm very relieved. Now if only I could cure the irritating floating black levels I get, despite lots of people saying this had been sorted by the time my set came into being . . .
Interesting, I recently replaced my VT50 for a Sharp Aquos Quattron (UQ17) and the picture quality is great but nowhere near my VT50.

I still have my VT50 so I may just run this and try to fix my set!
RicFlair likes this.
TL24 is offline  
post #759 of 769 Old 01-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
SightSeeker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I finally thought I ruined my TV playing xbox by burning in a speedometer from forza horizon 2. It has been there for weeks even with me running the slider every day when I left for work. I ran that youtube video last night for about 3 hours and it went away. That thing is awesome!
SightSeeker1 is offline  
post #760 of 769 Old 01-04-2015, 03:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post
I finally thought I ruined my TV playing xbox by burning in a speedometer from forza horizon 2. It has been there for weeks even with me running the slider every day when I left for work. I ran that youtube video last night for about 3 hours and it went away. That thing is awesome!

Quite the coincidence; I too have had bad burn-in due to speedometer in Forza Horizon 2. Even worse, I accidentally left the menu on for too long and that burned in as well...

Your comment makes me hopeful of reducing/removing the burn in.
I'll try to lower the contrast/brightness to avoid future burn in, but since I love the game so much, it may be in vain.

Any idea how we can change the speedo/position?
Nicobeestje is offline  
post #761 of 769 Old 01-04-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL24 View Post
Interesting, I recently replaced my VT50 for a Sharp Aquos Quattron (UQ17) and the picture quality is great but nowhere near my VT50.

I still have my VT50 so I may just run this and try to fix my set!
awesome find!
RicFlair is offline  
post #762 of 769 Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RicFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 69
What do you guys think of the st50 as a gaming TV ? I never did get the lag score on it ?
RicFlair is offline  
post #763 of 769 Old 10-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Member
 
juniperpansy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post
What do you guys think of the st50 as a gaming TV ? I never did get the lag score on it ?
I'm just an ordinary gamer but I have never noticed any issues with lag. The IR though, its a bitch!
juniperpansy is offline  
post #764 of 769 Old 10-04-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
highfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperpansy View Post
I'm just an ordinary gamer but I have never noticed any issues with lag. The IR though, its a bitch!
A TV with a refresh rate of 600Hz vs 120Hz? Why would the plasma have lag?

IR codes are discrete- what problems are you having?
highfigh is offline  
post #765 of 769 Old 10-04-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
highfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Does anyone look in the menu for the Image Rejection setting?
highfigh is offline  
post #766 of 769 Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Member
 
dereklsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
A TV with a refresh rate of 600Hz vs 120Hz? Why would the plasma have lag?

IR codes are discrete- what problems are you having?
The plasma is still at the top of the heap when it comes to motion blur, what you're calling "lag." If you Google and look for motion blur plasma vs. LED & LCD, you'll find that Plasmas are still the best for minimizing that side effect when watching action movies, playing games, etc. This link may help: http://www.cnet.com/news/can-led-lcd...ood-as-plasma/

CNET is very reliable, unbiased for the most part and is a good go to for all your TV questions. I bought one of the last Panasonic Plasmas available in 2012, forget the model, but it was the highest rated, like most all Panasonic Plasmas are. I run the thing an average of 12hrs daily. I'm home a lot with a disability. I still haven't any noticeable "burn-in" either. I make sure the "Anti Image Retention Pixel Orbiter is always on. Apparently it works. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Panasonic rates the screen for an amazing 100,000 hours before any appreciable loss of picture quality. If you're lucky enough to have a Panasonic Plasma, no reason to ditch it for something else yet, unless you've got big bucks for a good OLED TV, like $10K: "OLED, or organic light emitting diode televisions are currently $9,000, curved, and only available with a screen size of 55 inches, and from Samsung and LG." Good link on CNET: http://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-vs-oled-vs-plasma/
dereklsj is offline  
post #767 of 769 Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Member
 
dereklsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anti Image Retention Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
Does anyone look in the menu for the Image Rejection setting?
If you go to the menu and select the picture of the "wrench", you'll find a setting that says: "Anti Image Retention Function", select that and then select "Pixel Orbiter" and set it to "Enable." I've kept this on since I bought the Plasma back in 2012. I have NO appreciable signs of any image retention. I run my TV about 12hrs daily. I'm home a lot with a disability. Once in a while, if I've been watching a channel that has a bright logo that stays in the corner of the screen, I'll notice that it stays for maybe 6 hours after it's no longer there. BUT, that's not called burn-in as it's not a permanent condition. Some folks see that and think they have burn-in, but in reality they do not. There's a term for this, but it escapes me right now.
dereklsj is offline  
post #768 of 769 Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Member
 
dereklsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
A TV with a refresh rate of 600Hz vs 120Hz? Why would the plasma have lag?

IR codes are discrete- what problems are you having?
"I'm just an ordinary gamer but I have never noticed any issues with lag. The IR though, its a bitch!"

I wanted to try and address this issue. There's a "games" and "Vivid" settings on one of the menus. My recommendation: DO NOT use them! All it does is crank up the brightness and contrast settings, which if used for any length of time will create true IR that may not go away. Plasmas are not a good choice if your going to use it in a bright room. The LCD/LED's are much brighter TV's, but don't have the true quality of picture and almost zero blur with action movies, games, etc. Darken the room a little. I have a shade in my TV watching room so there's no sunlight coming in and no bright, or overhead lights. Just low wattage lamps, just enough to see a little. I'm picky about having any light source hitting the screen though.

Anyway, I suggest using the "Custom" setting, not the Vivid or Game settings. The custom setting is like starting from scratch and doesn't pump up the Contrast and Brightness settings artificially. From the Custom setting, find a good quality HD or game picture and pause it on the screen. Then, manually adjust the Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint and Sharpness. Contrast/Brightness/Color are the ones to fool with really. I think you'll find that you're able to, with some trial and error, create the best picture possible for viewing almost anything from games to TV shows. Just use you eyes and adjust those three settings until your happy, focusing on the dark parts of the picture. You'll find that not having the Vivid or Game settings turned on, you can create a more detailed and balanced picture, while not setting everything so bright that you're literally burning out your TV faster and creating IR, which is only temporary, or getting burn-in, which is usually permanent. I hope this makes sense. It works well for me, but took some trial and error while on the "Custom" setting then adjusting what I said above.
dereklsj is offline  
post #769 of 769 Old 10-07-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
highfigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereklsj View Post
The plasma is still at the top of the heap when it comes to motion blur, what you're calling "lag." If you Google and look for motion blur plasma vs. LED & LCD, you'll find that Plasmas are still the best for minimizing that side effect when watching action movies, playing games, etc. This link may help: http://www.cnet.com/news/can-led-lcd...ood-as-plasma/

CNET is very reliable, unbiased for the most part and is a good go to for all your TV questions. I bought one of the last Panasonic Plasmas available in 2012, forget the model, but it was the highest rated, like most all Panasonic Plasmas are. I run the thing an average of 12hrs daily. I'm home a lot with a disability. I still haven't any noticeable "burn-in" either. I make sure the "Anti Image Retention Pixel Orbiter is always on. Apparently it works. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Panasonic rates the screen for an amazing 100,000 hours before any appreciable loss of picture quality. If you're lucky enough to have a Panasonic Plasma, no reason to ditch it for something else yet, unless you've got big bucks for a good OLED TV, like $10K: "OLED, or organic light emitting diode televisions are currently $9,000, curved, and only available with a screen size of 55 inches, and from Samsung and LG." Good link on CNET: http://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-vs-oled-vs-plasma/
I have a Panasonic plasma- that's why I'm so disappointed the industry has succumbed to California's desire to force people to use something else and Beast Buy's ignorance of the desires of people who may have been Plasma buyers. OTOH, they were Panasonic's largest single customer and when you buy that many TVs, the extra weight cost them a lot in shipping, so I can see that as one reason. Doesn't mean I like it, though. I saw some of the new OLED TVs at an electronics distributor's open house last week. They look a lot better but there's something I still don't like as much as plasma. Mostly, it's the translucent plastic screen that makes it look unreal.
highfigh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off