Panasonic GT50 Netflix "blinks" to black - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else noticed an occasional picture blink/drop-out while watching Netflix through the built-in app?

It seems that often, when the Netflix player changes quality level (up or down) due to Internet bandwidth constraints, the picture goes black for about one frame and then returns to normal. This only happens while playing Netflix on the TV itself, and not during other programming, nor while watching Netflix from an external device (Playstation 3). It seems directly related to the steps up and down in quality while watching HD streams. It doesn't happen very often with SD streams since my Internet connection easily supports SD at its highest quality.

Running the latest firmware as of 6/13/12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm experiencing the same issue with my TC-L47E50.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
A similar problem of Netflix going to black or blanking out has been reported with various smart BD players as well so it may not be your tv set. The general feeling is that it may be due to the Netflix servers that service your area. Overloaded, not enough bandwidth, etc. I for one have never experienced that but we are fairly close to Netflix. All you can do is make sure your ISP connection is solid, no obstacles in the way, all of the common stuff. If you are on cable, it could be the saturation of cable users in your area that are hampering the download.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
that actually happens to me on my older PZ77U when i'm watching digital cable. Always thought it was my crappy service provider because it doesn't happen when i'm using my ps3. Interesting to hear as i'm currently deciding on which I wanna order next week the GT or VT.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Netflix really is becoming an over priced service.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaguy View Post

Has anyone else noticed an occasional picture blink/drop-out while watching Netflix through the built-in app?
It seems that often, when the Netflix player changes quality level (up or down) due to Internet bandwidth constraints, the picture goes black for about one frame and then returns to normal. This only happens while playing Netflix on the TV itself, and not during other programming, nor while watching Netflix from an external device (Playstation 3). It seems directly related to the steps up and down in quality while watching HD streams. It doesn't happen very often with SD streams since my Internet connection easily supports SD at its highest quality.
Running the latest firmware as of 6/13/12.

Yep, have the same problem. I'm currently using a Panny BD player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Netflix really is becoming an over priced service.

What you want for 8 bucks a month? Vudu leads the competition in streaming, but it's 5 to 6 bucks for just one movie.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Yep, have the same problem. I'm currently using a Panny BD player.
What you want for 8 bucks a month? Vudu leads the competition in streaming, but it's 5 to 6 bucks for just one movie.
Ian

Amazon Prime is $79 for one year, better quality, more dependable plus free 2 day shipping. wink.gif

Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amazon Prime is $79 for one year, better quality, more dependable plus free 2 day shipping. wink.gif

Do they have rentals? Lol. Seriously, I also have Amazon, but not prime. I just find their selections rather limited, especially when it come to recent releases.

Ian

Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Howdy hi sheesh! Yeah, Netflix is about $32 more expensive per year than Amazon Prime but I find the selection much better than Amazon. If you order a lot from Amazon then the free 2 day shipping may offset the cost and limited selection. I think a lot of the Netflix problems are region or area specific. I have never seen the "black" Netflix screen when streaming with the Panasonic BDT-210 or the AppleTV 2 (which we use most of the time for our streaming).
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Howdy hi sheesh! Yeah, Netflix is about $32 more expensive per year than Amazon Prime but I find the selection much better than Amazon. If you order a lot from Amazon then the free 2 day shipping may offset the cost and limited selection. I think a lot of the Netflix problems are region or area specific. I have never seen the "black" Netflix screen when streaming with the Panasonic BDT-210 or the AppleTV 2 (which we use most of the time for our streaming).

I think it's luck of the draw. I've only had it black out a couple of times on my Panny BD-DMP 85. I'm considering taking the Amazon Prime trial.

Ian

Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Hello there stranger, good to see you. wink.gif

I still pay for Netflix, even though most of what I want to see is available on Amazon too. Sometimes, the image from Netflix just isn't very good. I changed to a better internet service and thought that all my streaming would be so much better, well it is for Vudu, slightly better for Amazon and Netflix is the same. I think it has something to do with how they throttle etc and all that upgrading must take its toll too. Oh and the quality problem isn't limited to blink outs or blacking out either, nor is it limited to the Panny tvs, BD210, BD310 or roku. I use to love Netflix. frown.gif

Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello there stranger, good to see you. wink.gif
I still pay for Netflix, even though most of what I want to see is available on Amazon too. Sometimes, the image from Netflix just isn't very good. I changed to a better internet service and thought that all my streaming would be so much better, well it is for Vudu, slightly better for Amazon and Netflix is the same. I think it has something to do with how they throttle etc and all that upgrading must take its toll too. Oh and the quality problem isn't limited to blink outs or blacking out either, nor is it limited to the Panny tvs, BD210, BD310 or roku. I use to love Netflix. frown.gif

I'm almost convinced that is has a lot to do with the location of the Netflix servers in relationship to the subscriber and their capacity. The ISP certainly has a lot to do with it but lots of folks have a fast, stable, cable service so that shouldn't be an issue and yet, they report the Netflix problems. The only issue I've ever seen with either the Panny 210 or the AppleTV2 is a "service not available" message, which goes away if I log in again and the occasional buffering issue. Both of which are a rarity for me.
sheshechic likes this.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
M7C

My 50GT50 does this too. I also get some judder with fast pans etc. Still trying to figure out the best option as PQ using Viera is about 10x better than my HTPC. I think this a limitation of Siverlight. Maybe a Roku or WDTV would be the best of both worlds.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

M7C it seems that unexpected judder is a part of this year's tech that we are going to have to endure. frown.gif

Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM

The blinking is from the stream changing the quality/bandwidth to higher or lower. Check the status screen and you'll see how the two correlate perfectly.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggybong View Post

The blinking is from the stream changing the quality/bandwidth to higher or lower. Check the status screen and you'll see how the two correlate perfectly.

That would make sense but it still doesn't account for those of us who have never seen it. Maybe quality and/or bandwidth in my area never changes or it's an issue with the GT50 and its Smart Apps.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggybong View Post

And this is where Netflix does something different from Amazon and Vudu.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And this is where Netflix does something different from Amazon and Vudu.

Never have any blinking issue with Netflix using my BD player or PC.

Ian

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ that's why I think it's more of an ISP/server capacity issue. But.............. confused.gif
Old 06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

I agree. The fact remains that Amazon and Vudu have lower speed requirements for HD streaming then Netflix, thus more bandwidth
and available server capacity.

Ian

Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 PM

guys its really really simple more and more ppl are getting netflix and more and more ppl are using it especially on the weekends there servers are getting overloaded and there for making the performance worse ever notice that its better during the week netflix needs to get BETTER and MORE servers
Old 06-30-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssseksci View Post

guys its really really simple more and more ppl are getting netflix and more and more ppl are using it especially on the weekends there servers are getting overloaded and there for making the performance worse ever notice that its better during the week netflix needs to get BETTER and MORE servers

I have complained to them that they need to increase their server capacity and streaming performance. Their Silverlight based system is antiquated and needs to be updated. It's not like they can't afford it.

Ian wink.gif

Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssseksci View Post

I've been saying that for a long time. It's capacity and sometimes how your ISP (cable provider)/device can handle the ever changing bandwidth. Write a letter of complaint like others have done. That's the only way Netflix will address the capacity issue. Some service areas are better with capacity than others.