Pioneer kuro krp-500m or Panasonic tcp55st50... Please help me make a decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have the monetary means to purchase a Pioneer Kuro krp-500m or a Panasonic tcp55st50. I am planning on installing a set in my 12 feet x 12 feet living room and can't decide between the two. The Kuro is obviously used. The current owner estimates usage at 1800 hours but claims the set is in good condition. He does not have the stand or speakers. The important advantages I see in getting the Panasonic is that it is brand new, will have a manufacturer's warranty and is obviously a bigger size. Considering that my final decision is destined for a 12x12 living room, should I sacrifice the outstanding picture quality of the Kuro to get a brand new bigger sized screen or should I jump on this rare opportunity to own one of the best panels ever? Both sets are around the same price, though I will have to pony up for a stand and possibly a sound bar (I wouldn't dare buy a home theater system with my 3 year old daughter wreaking havoc in the living room).

Any help is extremely appreciated.
makaveddie81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
depends, how close in the couch to the tv in your 12x12 living room (that would've been the more useful measurement--not trying to sound like a jerk)
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrady3324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unless you are sitting 10+ feet away, I would go with the 500m in a heartbeat.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
jbrady3324 is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
There is an entertainment center area cutout in my living room wall so ill be sitting about 10 to 11 feet away from the set. I currently have a 46 inch led in place and feel like the TV is too small for the living room.
makaveddie81 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrady3324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would go with the bigger TV at that point. Might be best to put some tape or string on the wall to see what the size difference would look like.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
jbrady3324 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
The distance between the seat and the couch is exactly 10 feet. This is a tough one. On one hand the krp500 is a hard to find gem. On the other hand, the st50 is not too shabby but has the size advantage. I can actually get a 60 inch st50 for the same price as the krp500. Im still kicking myself for getting the 46 inch led due to its small size n dont want to make.the same mistake again. However, I also dont want to regret getting an st50 when a krp500 was staring me in the face. Decisions, decisions.
makaveddie81 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrady3324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post

The distance between the seat and the couch is exactly 10 feet. This is a tough one. On one hand the krp500 is a hard to find gem. On the other hand, the st50 is not too shabby but has the size advantage. I can actually get a 60 inch st50 for the same price as the krp500. Im still kicking myself for getting the 46 inch led due to its small size n dont want to make.the same mistake again. However, I also dont want to regret getting an st50 when a krp500 was staring me in the face. Decisions, decisions.

At 10 feet, I think I would still go for the 500m. The PQ is a huge step up from the ST and you are only losing 5 inches. When talking about 50 inches vs 60 inches, I would go with the 60 inch regardless of PQ at that distance.

Where are you located? If near the Chicago area you are more than welcome to check out my 500m

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
jbrady3324 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I am in San Diego, CA. The KRP-500 is in Arizona so I have to take into account fuel expenses and also the cost of a soundbar to compensate for the lack of speakers on the KRP-500. I am looking to replace my 46 inch LED with a plasma of at least 55 inch size. The only reason I am considering the KRP-500 is because of its outstanding picture quality and the fact that its a hard to find set.

Does anybody know how long the KRP-500's usually last?
makaveddie81 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
chadsdsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The fact that you are kicking yourself for going with only a 46" the first time around makes me think you will have the same feeling going for the 50", even if it is a 500m. I think you are on the right track looking in to the 60" st at that distance for a similar price. I view from about the same distance as you and I am a few months from stepping up to a 65" st in place of the 55" g10 I have now. Although the 500m has the better pq, the st is really getting up into a close range in pq, especially if you are not staring a t them side by side. Then you have the warranty,3d rolleyes.gif, no hours, wifi and netflix stuff too. just my 2 cents.
chadsdsmith is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Wifi and Netflix shouldn't really be considered when evaluating pic quality. Any modern Blu-ray player will typically have those features. ;-) Getting a manuf. warranty seems to be the biggest draw aside from the greater screen real estate versus the PQ of the KRP-500M.

IMO, if you're upgrading to a 500M, you should have a sound system that matches (more cash out of your pocket naturally, and can be substantial). In terms of useful life, 100,000 hours should be attainable, though a power supply is likely to fail before you reach that number (and I think half of the panel brightness is lost @ 60k hours, if memory serves).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 06-16-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I already have a smart blu ray player that I could pair with the TV and have a Yamaha soundbar in mind for the final piece of the puzzle. However, u used the string method to simulate how a 50 and 60 inch would look in my living room and the 50 inch is just not big enough. It is because of that that I have decided on getting the tcp60st50. Im willing to sacrifice some pq fir the added size and since ive never been exposed to a kuro, im sure the st50 will blow me away.

If the kuro is still available in a month, then I might consider it for my bedroom. But my immediate goal is to finally put a decent sized set in my living room. Theres always good kuro deals lurking around and I feel like right now would be the perfect tine to get one. I wouldnt want to get a 5 or 6 year old kuro.

Thanks for the help guys... And dont try to talk me into buying the kuro now that I made a decision lol.
makaveddie81 is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 06-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrady3324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
At that distance, buy a back light for your ST50 and the blacks will look just as deep IMO.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
jbrady3324 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Just wanted to provide an update. After setting my sight on a tcp60st50, best buy had the tcp65st50 for a price I could afford. Before clicking "buy" I decided to give one last browse of their website. It was then when I saw a sharp lc70le632u for $100 less than the 65 inch st50. After reading the entire thread for the sharp here at avsforum, I decided the sharp would give me the best bang for my buck size wise, as it would fill up my 12 x 12 living room nicely, and would give me good pq being that its a full array backlit led set. Its a 2011 model. From what ive read however, except for the 80 inch aquos, Sharps 2012 line are all edge lit leds. I had to drive one and a half hours to pick this bad boy up because it was the last one in my region.

Did I make the right decision in sacrificing pq to get the biggest set that was within my budget? Or should I have sacrificed 5 inches in order to stay with plasma technology and its superior pq?
makaveddie81 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
greeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
of the full array led's the 632 is highly regarded, and you said you did go through the entire 632 thread. however, you're not going to get the black levels of the kuro or the st50. I have looked at the 632 thread but it's been awhile and i don't recall what people said about flashlighting or clouding. I have an edge lit sharp 70C8470U (70'' costco variant of the 847), and many of these sets have issues with flashlighting/clouding and mine is no exception. I'll wager that they all do. I'm in a similar situation as I'm thinking of either trying a second 70C8470U to see if it's better than the one I've got, or go down in size and get the 65ST50.

To now try and make you feel better about your purchase, you've got a really good full array (no local dimming though) 70'' set. Don't expect it to have the black levels of the plasmas (or deal with motion as as plasmas either).
greeno is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
wmwilker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post

Just wanted to provide an update. After setting my sight on a tcp60st50, best buy had the tcp65st50 for a price I could afford. Before clicking "buy" I decided to give one last browse of their website. It was then when I saw a sharp lc70le632u for $100 less than the 65 inch st50. After reading the entire thread for the sharp here at avsforum, I decided the sharp would give me the best bang for my buck size wise, as it would fill up my 12 x 12 living room nicely, and would give me good pq being that its a full array backlit led set. Its a 2011 model. From what ive read however, except for the 80 inch aquos, Sharps 2012 line are all edge lit leds. I had to drive one and a half hours to pick this bad boy up because it was the last one in my region.
Did I make the right decision in sacrificing pq to get the biggest set that was within my budget? Or should I have sacrificed 5 inches in order to stay with plasma technology and its superior pq?

I exchanged my 80" 632 for a 65VT50 and I don't regret it for a moment.

Mike

wmwilker is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
greeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 2,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

I exchanged my 80" 632 for a 65VT50 and I don't regret it for a moment.

Hi wmwilker,
What were your reasons for the exchange?
greeno is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
wmwilker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
picture quality and off angle viewing. The picture quality of the VT is miles ahead of the 632 IMO

Mike

wmwilker is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I see no clouding at this time but do see a faint dirty screen effect and a single small dark spot on each corner, which is not even close to the horrible spotlughting on my Samsung edge lit led. I only saw the dirty screen effect because I had read about it in the thread. although thr blacks arent as deep as a plasma, I do get a very uniform image. I am still planning on getting a 50 inch kuro down the line for my bedroom, which is why I decided to simply gey the biggest screen I could afford for the living room. I forgot to mention that there are 3 big windows in my living room, which makes the matte screen of the sharp perfect for my living room. I still have 30 days to try this baby out and am interested to know why wmwilker sacrificed 15 inchrs of size for the panny. I guess I just need to know whether the 5 inch size increase outweighs the pq improvement of the panny.
makaveddie81 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
wmwilker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post

I see no clouding at this time but do see a faint dirty screen effect and a single small dark spot on each corner, which is not even close to the horrible spotlughting on my Samsung edge lit led. I only saw the dirty screen effect because I had read about it in the thread. although thr blacks arent as deep as a plasma, I do get a very uniform image. I am still planning on getting a 50 inch kuro down the line for my bedroom, which is why I decided to simply gey the biggest screen I could afford for the living room. I forgot to mention that there are 3 big windows in my living room, which makes the matte screen of the sharp perfect for my living room. I still have 30 days to try this baby out and am interested to know why wmwilker sacrificed 15 inchrs of size for the panny. I guess I just need to know whether the 5 inch size increase outweighs the pq improvement of the panny.

It took a few days to get used to the smaller size but for me it's worth it.

Mike

wmwilker is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If my second option was a vt50 then yeah I would have gone with the vt50 which has even deeper blacks than the st50. Off angle viewing on the sharp is not ideal. I agree that the off angle viewing of the sharp is an issue.
makaveddie81 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off