Is there a Panasonic Super-Plasma in our future? - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Is there a Panasonic Super-Plasma in our future?
dsmith901's Avatar dsmith901 09:46 AM 06-20-2012
I know Panasonic makes some 100"+ plasmas but they are special manufacture jobs that are like one-offs. I am talking about a bigger (80"+) preferably 4K plasma intended for the masses. I raise this question because of the 80 and 90 inch LEDs from Sharp now available priced at $5K and $10K respectively. The Panasonic 65" models now sold are starting to look pretty small by comparision, albeit much more affordable. Does anyone know if Panasonic is planning a bigger consumer market plasma, and if so how big and is it likely to be 4K? Thanks.

dsmith901's Avatar dsmith901 07:51 AM 06-21-2012
Nothing, zip, nada? No insider info? Rogo? Cleveland?

Am I the only one interested in a bigger, higher rez plasma? I find that hard to believe.

For years a big selling point with Panasonic's plasmas was more inches for the dollar. So what, now they are just throwing in the towel on bigger plasma screens? Or is Panasonic looking to the future with OLED or some other new tech for going bigger?

Inquiring minds want to know!
tomwil's Avatar tomwil 08:21 AM 06-21-2012
According to this, Panasonic is leaving the plasma arena soon. Probably what you see now, is what will only be available.
whipit's Avatar whipit 11:17 AM 06-21-2012
According to the hdj insider's thread there may be a bigger panny next year and all new tech in 2014 that will make a vt30, or was it a vt50, look like a first gen plasma. Going off memory fwiw.
dsmith901's Avatar dsmith901 07:28 AM 06-29-2012
I may have found the answer to my question in the link below (check the 6/26 update) that says Panasonic is partnering with Sony to develop large printable OLED panels. By 2015 we may see large Panasonic OLED panels that are bigger, cheaper, and presumably with better PQ, than current plasmas. Now I may be among those willing to wait and see how good the newer, bigger OLED panels are from Panasonic. The only question I have now is whether the bigger Panny OLED panels will be 4K, and I don't see why not. The thought of a Panasonic 4K 80" OLED now has me drooling. It's only three years, right?

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/led-lcd-39/sony-panasonic-oled-partnership-2185/
ruiz00tx's Avatar ruiz00tx 12:12 PM 06-30-2012
I doubt they'll be cheaper than current plasmas.
dsmith901's Avatar dsmith901 12:32 PM 07-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiz00tx View Post

I doubt they'll be cheaper than current plasmas.

Are you kidding? Printable OLED is expected to be manufactured at pennies per inch compared to plasma, or even LCD. Sure, they won't be cheap to start because they will be considered high end, especially at 80 inches, and early adopters always get screwed, but the high price will not be because of the cost of production, and I am sure competition will quickly bring large OLED down to the masses. Even shipping costs will be lower since there is no heavy glass involved, and the cost of operating them will be lower than LED. How soon the market matures I don't know, but considering recent history I expect we can see 70 inch OLED TVs selling for $1,000 or less within five years after they hit the market. 4K models may cost more, but probably not much.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 12:57 PM 07-01-2012
You're predicting OLED to be more affordable than Plasma by 2015? I think that's a little too optimistic given the global economy debt-ridden meltdown, not to mention OLED announcements rarely pan out as planned, with such best-effort announcements going back at least a decade.

Let's wait and see if LG can even deliver their 55" model in 2012 before getting ahead of ourselves on another press release.
Jimmy Russells's Avatar Jimmy Russells 12:08 AM 07-02-2012
Double post. Something glitchy happened.
Jimmy Russells's Avatar Jimmy Russells 12:29 AM 07-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

According to this, Panasonic is leaving the plasma arena soon. Probably what you see now, is what will only be available.

Bummed. I've noticed the decline in the number of models the past few years. Didn't want to admit they were being phased out.

Panny plasma fanboi for life.
dsmith901's Avatar dsmith901 08:56 AM 07-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You're predicting OLED to be more affordable than Plasma by 2015? I think that's a little too optimistic given the global economy debt-ridden meltdown, not to mention OLED announcements rarely pan out as planned, with such best-effort announcements going back at least a decade.
Let's wait and see if LG can even deliver their 55" model in 2012 before getting ahead of ourselves on another press release.

That's not what I meant to say though I may have been guilty of wishful thinking. Large screen OLED is probably five years away and who knows, but everything I have read says they will be much cheaper to manufacure than either plasma or LCD/LED, especially printable OLED screens. With 80" LEDs from Sharp now selling for under $5K and HDTV prices continuing downward under competitive pressures, it really is not hard to imagein that printable OLEDs will underprice the competition pretty quickly after the initial boutique-item status passes, and it should pass pretty quickly since manufacturers will want to reap the benefits of their R&D investments as quickly as possible. It's all speculation now, I admit, but Sony and Panasonic working together should hasten the day when large OLED displays become SOTA. When they do, you can kiss plasma and LED goodbye. Which is why I am guessing that Panasonic is already making plans to exit plasma TVs, and when they do plasma is DEAD!
Up
Mobile  Desktop