Panny GT50 vs Sammy E8000...sorry bout another comparison thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey all I'll be lookIng to upgrade my set in the next two weeks and could use some help. I'm moving up from a 3 year old Panny plasma that has been very good to me. I live in a small town where seeing these tv's first hand is impossible, and was hoping to hear some input from someone that has looked at these sets. The price on these sets is pretty similar for a 65" (64" Sammy) so that is not really going to be a factor. The VT50 is about $600 more and am considering it, also I can get the UN65D8000 on sellout for the same as cheaper sets I'm considering.

Thanks for your time smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Samsung is outta the picture it's just between the GT and VT now.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

Hey all I'll be lookIng to upgrade my set in the next two weeks and could use some help. I'm moving up from a 3 year old Panny plasma that has been very good to me. I live in a small town where seeing these tv's first hand is impossible, and was hoping to hear some input from someone that has looked at these sets. The price on these sets is pretty similar for a 65" (64" Sammy) so that is not really going to be a factor. The VT50 is about $600 more and am considering it, also I can get the UN65D8000 on sellout for the same as cheaper sets I'm considering.
Thanks for your time smile.gif

IIRC, the d8000 LED had a lot of issues with back light bleeding. Most reviews gave the D7000 LED the nod on PQ performance, but i would take any of the plasmas above over either of these LEDs.

As for the plasmas, that's a really tough choice since they're all really good. Personally i like the vt50, but samsungs e8000 has some great benefits as well. Overall the GT50 vs e8000: The gt50 is a little less money, will have a more accurate out of the box picture w/ THX vs samsungs movie (if you plan to get it calibrated, this point is moot), and a hair deeper blacks (probably wont notice the difference if not side by side). The Samsung will have a little better filter for bright rooms, comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses ($40 value), has the whole camera for skype, gesture, and face recognition along w/ the mic if you find a good need for them, and the smart evolution capability which in theory may be cool to do a hardware update each year instead of replacing the whole set to get the latest and greatest stuff, but there's is also no pricing yet on what this may cost. The vt50 overall will have the same benefits as the gt50 plus best bright room filter, best blacks, and a little more color accurate picture (calibrated, THX is probably the same). It's your dollar to decide if it's worth the value. To me it is, but i always say if you cant see the difference, don't pay the difference.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thx for the responce........My local dealer didn't even have the PNE8000 series in her price list so she emailed them and was told the series is only available to certain retailers in Canada. So basically i'm down to the GT and VT. I won't be getting it professionally calibrated anytime soon because I have no local calibrators, and i'm renting so I could be changing environments anytime. The set will be wall mounted on the end of a small living room. The room has vaulted ceilings with pot lights so I would like a set with decent anti glare.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
In THX, their color accuracy will be about the same. The VT50 does have a little better filter, so with lights on or sun shining in the blacks will appear darker on the vt50. The vt50 will also have a few shades darker of black at night time, but to the untrained eye you probably wouldn't notice the difference w/o a side by side comparison. The vt50 also comes with that touch pad remote so if you plan to use the apps on the tv, it'l be nice to have.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ya for the $700 difference between the sets I think i'm sold on the GT50 and will hopefully order it tomorrow smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page