Only 6 TVs In 50 Years - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just realized today, I have only had 6 TVs for main room viewing, in the past 50 years. Four Zeniths, one Pioneer and one Panasonic. That's one every 8.33 years. The longest lasting, all of the Zeniths, 10 years average. The Pioneer, 8 years and the Panasonic (VT25) now 2 years. V:p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM

Liked: 32
So, basically you have gotten on average 8.33 repeating years on them, if that. So, what do you want, a cookie? My wife is right now on her second tv set, which is the main plasma that we have had for over five years now. Before that, the tv she had, before it fell off of a table was only two years old. Only reason that the other fell, was due to a earthquake.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Rather fascinating. Averages can be fooling. The last 2 TV's probably were plasmas, from 2004 on. But 50 years ago probably means the first Zenith was a black-and-white in 1962, and probably replaced before the average 10 years with a Zenith color set. Then, subsequent replacements probably were for better features, like larger screens and remote control.

Wonder if any replacements were due to malfunctions? Usually older CRT sets appear to be more reliable than modern sets. I have 1979 Zenith, 1981 Hitachi, and 1988 RCA CRT sets passed down from my parents that still operate fine today.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Absolutely correct, the first was a 1963 B&W, then first color in '67, next color zenith in 76, the fourth a Zenith RVP in 86. A Pioneer Pro Elite in 92 and my Panasonic Plasma in 2010. My math was pretty close. Just gave the 63 away last year, still working. The 67 and 76 color sets were given to relatives. They were still using them for at least five years more each. The Zenith rear view died in '92. That's when I got the Pioneer, a great TV. The power board went in 2010 and that is when I got the first plasma. With the economy the way it is, I imagine the plasma will be in my life for ten years, hopefully if needed.smile.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 10
Not so crazy. My mom got a high def tv about 5 years ago (42 inch Sony A10). Prior to that she had the same tv for probably 25 years. It was a 27 inch Sony. I think that's where I get my expectation that TVs should last at least 10 years.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Absolutely correct, the first was a 1963 B&W, then first color in '67, next color zenith in 76, the fourth a Zenith RVP in 86. A Pioneer Pro Elite in 92 and my Panasonic Plasma in 2010. My math was pretty close. Just gave the 63 away last year, still working. The 67 and 76 color sets were given to relatives. They were still using them for at least five years more each. The Zenith rear view died in '92. That's when I got the Pioneer, a great TV. The power board went in 2010 and that is when I got the first plasma. With the economy the way it is, I imagine the plasma will be in my life for ten years, hopefully if needed.smile.gif

While 6 TV's in 50 years is not really a big deal, many people have had less and mostly because they've had a Zenith that just refused to quit. I will say back in the day my parent's Zenith's never had one single issue unlike the issues we read here daily. When I was a kid we turned on the Zenith and actually "watched TV" rather than sit here picking the TV apart like some of the OCD people here. Our biggest problem was just getting the rabbit ears to tune in, the TV was perfect. In fact it never broke down in the 15 years I lived at home and my parents finally ended up selling it just for the sake of buying something new. smile.gif.

Shameful today's technology leads us into running slides, relying on a pro-calibrator's settings, zooming screens up to prevent IR, changing channels to prevent network logos from causing IR, sitting directly in front of the TV in order to maintain the sweet-spot, worrying senselessly if the flashlighting or clouding is ever gonna go away? Worst of all, today's technology has made people so nitpicky that they constantly return/exchange TV's until they get the "perfect" one and best of all, some people right here on this forum replace perfectly good flat screens after owning them for only one year, WHY? Back in the day we bought one TV, turned it on and went on with bigger things in life.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

While 6 TV's in 50 years is not really a big deal, many people have had less and mostly because they've had a Zenith that just refused to quit. I will say back in the day my parent's Zenith's never had one single issue unlike the issues we read here daily. When I was a kid we turned on the Zenith and actually "watched TV" rather than sit here picking the TV apart like some of the OCD people here. Our biggest problem was just getting the rabbit ears to tune in, the TV was perfect. In fact it never broke down in the 15 years I lived at home and my parents finally ended up selling it just for the sake of buying something new. smile.gif.
Shameful today's technology leads us into running slides, relying on a pro-calibrator's settings, zooming screens up to prevent IR, changing channels to prevent network logos from causing IR, sitting directly in front of the TV in order to maintain the sweet-spot, worrying senselessly if the flashlighting or clouding is ever gonna go away? Worst of all, today's technology has made people so nitpicky that they constantly return/exchange TV's until they get the "perfect" one and best of all, some people right here on this forum replace perfectly good flat screens after owning them for only one year, WHY? Back in the day we bought one TV, turned it on and went on with bigger things in life.

LOL, this would make good Sunday paper reading. Remember going to a People's Drug Store to test a tube or buy one?
HLdan likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
So, basically you have gotten on average 8.33 repeating years on them, if that. So, what do you want, a cookie?

You get beat up a lot, don't you?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Hell, I've had that many wives. biggrin.gif
HLdan likes this.

Mike

post #10 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

Hell, I've had that many wives. biggrin.gif

The older ones get "flashes". Is that the same as FBr? biggrin.gif
HLdan likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, OK, I agree it is no great feat. I was just taking the same notion as HLdan above. It does get kind of silly in today's TV market where every spring lots of people on here excitedly await the new plasma lineups (I refuse to acknowledge LCD). Maybe many of them are first time buyers and hopefully not because TVs die in a couple of years.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

OK, OK, I agree it is no great feat. I was just taking the same notion as HLdan above. It does get kind of silly in today's TV market where every spring lots of people on here excitedly await the new plasma lineups (I refuse to acknowledge LCD). Maybe many of them are first time buyers and hopefully not because TVs die in a couple of years.
Because they are the same ones that are not satisfied with what they have, and always want bigger and better, or should I say, that is what they have their mind set to. They are also the same ones that have to either go out and lease a new vehicle every year, or have to do a trade-in every two years, because they get the Joneses effect. Same with their toys.

I personally would love to have the seemingly endless supply of money that some of these people on here seem to have available. It would be great to be able to go out and throw money around on stuff that does nothing for the majority.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page