Purple and green halo around everything. Is this a characteristic of plasmas or is there a problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received a new Panasonic ST50 plasma. I'm running slides on it right now but I've already noticed something a little strange.

There's a thin halo of purple and green around everything on the screen instead of everything being precise and sharp. This includes the white wording in the menus, the blue menu boxes and even the slides themselves. Actually, calling this a halo of color isn't exactly accurate because the lines mainly occur to the left and right of images on the vertical plane..with purple being on the left edge of things and green on the right edge.

(Another example would be on the slides. There's a thin vertical line of purple on the far left edge of all of the color slides and a thin line of green on the far right edge.)

I'm new to plasmas so I'm just wondering if this is a normal characteristic of plasmas in general. I'd also like to know if there is a way to align and focus the color better. I'd really appreciate someone lending some of their technical expertise to this situation. I've searched but haven't been able to find an exact answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma-black View Post

I just received a new Panasonic ST50 plasma. I'm running slides on it right now but I've already noticed something a little strange.
There's a thin halo of purple and green around everything on the screen instead of everything being precise and sharp. This includes the white wording in the menus...../quote]

Almost sounds like a crt convergence error.

Whatever the cause, it certainly is NOT normal.
From your post, sounds like it is happening without regard to source / cabling / selected input port - ??

Perhaps one of the Technical Experts will have a suggestion for you, but I would certainly call Panasonic - or simply exchange the set.....
post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

OK, this is weird. I just decided to stop the slides for a few minutes and play a little bit of my Tron blu-ray disk to see if the color problem showed up there as well. I'm happy to say I didn't see any of the purple and green color shift in the blu-ray image...during the movie scenes or in the menus.

Satisfied with what I saw (or didn't see), I went back to the running the D-Nice slides. Now guess what? The purple and green lines have disappeared altogether! The edges are sharp on everything now without any of the color shift! biggrin.gif

I'm not complaining or anything but does anyone have any idea what's happened here? I don't understand how the TV could fix itself like that. Now I'm just hoping this isn't a recurring problem.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma-black View Post

OK, this is weird. .... The purple and green lines have disappeared altogether! The edges are sharp on everything now without any of the color shift!.....

Did you unplug / replug any cables in the switch from slides to dvd?

That probably would be a good thing to do in any event.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Did you unplug / replug any cables in the switch from slides to dvd?
That probably would be a good thing to do in any event.

The slides are actually on a flash drive that's plugged in the back of the set. The purple and green lines were also on the regular menu items so Im thinking the problem was unrelated to the slides.

I'm going to keep montioring the situation to see if the lines reappear at some point. I think I'm also going to purchase an extended warranty (Square Trade) just in case I have problems after the manufacturer's warranty runs out.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Not sure but I thought I'd post this. It sounds like you are seeing the sub pixel layout. Each pixel is made up of blue red and green sub pixels and are layed out in that order left to right. So it's possible to see a faint vertical green line at the very last pixel on the right and blue on the left, or a combination of blue/red if you get close enough.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
At what distance are you seeing the green and purple edges?
Thats completely normal very close up like 1-2 feet, depending on your closeup visual accuity, due to the RGB pixel structure.
Shouldn't be able to see it from normal viewing distances though.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Try taking a picture of the problem if it does it again. Make sure you are in custom mode, not standard, and using some posted settings in case it's something you can adjust out.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

At what distance are you seeing the green and purple edges?
Thats completely normal very close up like 1-2 feet, depending on your closeup visual accuity, due to the RGB pixel structure.
Shouldn't be able to see it from normal viewing distances though.

The lines were clearly visible from at least 5 feet away at first. They seem to have gone away now, though. However, I can still see a faint outline of the same color structure if I get extremely close to the TV but I'm sure that's just normal as you said.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Try taking a picture of the problem if it does it again. Make sure you are in custom mode, not standard, and using some posted settings in case it's something you can adjust out.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind if the lines show up again.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am actually seeing the same issue on my new VT60. I was noticing a greenish outline around all white text and then on closer inspection its like magenta on the left side and green on the right side. I wish I was lucky like the OP and this would disappear!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page