My 2011 Panasonic VT30 buzz just started last week - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It seems to come from what looks like an exhaust port from a fan in the back of my TV.. I posted a short 1 minute video on Youtube. Is this normal? I can hear it from my couch with the sound on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6_6kTyt01I

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have an update for my VT30. The tech came out and said that all the circuit board screws were loose, especially the SV board. The service performed on my TV was, "tighten loose screws on SV, SD, SC, SS, and P board". The tech said that during the last six months he has performed the same service on a lot of Panasonic ST30 plasma TV's. He said he has performed this service on a few VT30's, but is not common. More on the ST30's. So, if you own a ST30, I would suggest checking the tightness of the screws holding the circuit boards in place. No more buzz. cool.gif

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #3 of 26 Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same thing JUST happened to my 55 inch VT30. I have had it since July 2011. Just today a very loud buzzing could be heard. Sitting 10 feet away, the buzzing was very obvious. I knew something was wrong.

My warranty is up (ended less than one month ago), so I came across your post and decided to go at the TV with a screwdriver. I took the back panel off, and tightened all the screws on the boards as well as any other screw I could spot. One of the screws on a board on the left hand side of the TV (when looking from the back) was quite loose, otherwise the rest of the screws only took about one more turn by hand.

I did also notice this!!!:

Missing screw and rubber bumper on one of the fans!! It was not anywhere in the case of the TV. It must have never been installed. On a good note, it doesn't seem to be the cause of the noise. But if anyone happens to know how I can find a replacement screw and bumper, I would appreciate it because I feel like to should fix it. This is what is missing:

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. TV is back to normal. Only the normal, baseline buzzing can be heard now when you put your head real close to the TV. Also the knowledge that my TV is lacking a screw!
post #4 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

I have an update for my VT30. The tech came out and said that all the circuit board screws were loose, especially the SV board. The service performed on my TV was, "tighten loose screws on SV, SD, SC, SS, and P board". The tech said that during the last six months he has performed the same service on a lot of Panasonic ST30 plasma TV's. He said he has performed this service on a few VT30's, but is not common. More on the ST30's. So, if you own a ST30, I would suggest checking the tightness of the screws holding the circuit boards in place. No more buzz. cool.gif

How much did he charge you for this?
post #5 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Well, Panasonic was super helpful in finding the part numbers. I went to their parts website, filled out a question form, was quickly sent an email by a rep asking for the pictures, and received a quick reply after I sent them the pictures.

If anyone is interested, the parts are:

Rubber Cushion        TMMJ117    $.95    
Screw                        THEJ039J   $.95  
post #6 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

My 50ST30 buzzes terribly. I can hear it at normal volumes unless there's a black screen showing. It's awfully loud and I haven't said anything to my wife yet, but if I did she would be annoyed too. I bought it in November so I have a few months left on the warranty. When it was new I had to get behind it to hear anything and in about a month I heard it gradually get louder. It comes from the top right as you look from the front. If I put my head behind it, it sounds like it is coming apart. It has no fans so that's not the problem. I checked the screws on the rear cover and they are tight, so I guess it's time to make that call.

I wonder what the best thing is to tell them. That it happened like I described or just play dumb and say it's making a terrible buzzing noise all of a sudden.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

My 50ST30 buzzes terribly. I can hear it at normal volumes unless there's a black screen showing. It's awfully loud and I haven't said anything to my wife yet, but if I did she would be annoyed too. I bought it in November so I have a few months left on the warranty. When it was new I had to get behind it to hear anything and in about a month I heard it gradually get louder. It comes from the top right as you look from the front. If I put my head behind it, it sounds like it is coming apart. It has no fans so that's not the problem. I checked the screws on the rear cover and they are tight, so I guess it's time to make that call. I wonder what the best thing is to tell them. That it happened like I described or just play dumb and say it's making a terrible buzzing noise all of a sudden.

My friend's 60ST30 started buzzing after several months of virtually silent operation. The buzz was coming from the same area as yours (upper right area as viewed from behind). He called Panasonic, they sent a local tech over a few days later who replaced the board that's in that corner and the TV is silent again. He said the guy was there about 20 minutes. I would them it started buzzing all of a sudden while you were watching a program.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Randy. Sometimes too much info can get in the way, so I'll take your advise.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanbalto View Post

Well, Panasonic was super helpful in finding the part numbers. I went to their parts website, filled out a question form, was quickly sent an email by a rep asking for the pictures, and received a quick reply after I sent them the pictures.
If anyone is interested, the parts are:
Rubber Cushion        TMMJ117    $.95    
Screw                        THEJ039J   $.95  

That's cheap. But I wouldn't worry about it as long as the other 3 are holding.

Also, if you're going to go back in, think about putting a dab of paint (like model paint) at each screw to hold it. Super Glue might also work but it might run everywhere which would be bad.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

How much did he charge you for this?

Nothing. My TV was still under the 1 year manufacture warranty. I did pay for the extended 4 year warranty since I spent so much for the TV.

Cheers
post #11 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My 50ST30 buzzes terribly. I can hear it at normal volumes unless there's a black screen showing. It's awfully loud and I haven't said anything to my wife yet, but if I did she would be annoyed too. I bought it in November so I have a few months left on the warranty. When it was new I had to get behind it to hear anything and in about a month I heard it gradually get louder. It comes from the top right as you look from the front. If I put my head behind it, it sounds like it is coming apart. It has no fans so that's not the problem. I checked the screws on the rear cover and they are tight, so I guess it's time to make that call.
I wonder what the best thing is to tell them. That it happened like I described or just play dumb and say it's making a terrible buzzing noise all of a sudden.

I would not say anything. You did nothing wrong. Call the place you purchased the TV from and tell them your TV is making a loud buzzing noise from the back and I can hear it sitting on my couch. Either they will call or give you a number to call for service. You had better hurry before your warranty expires. If anything, just have them come take a look and see if anything is wrong inside.

Cheers
post #12 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Update. I still have no buzz coming from my TV. cool.gif

Cheers
post #13 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update. I still have no buzz coming from my TV. cool.gif

That's great. Thanks for the advise. I'll update here when it's fixed.
post #14 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

That's great. Thanks for the advise. I'll update here when it's fixed.

Let us know what was causing the buzzing, and what the tech does to fix it. Some people have had that upper right board replaced, while others simply had one or more loose screws.

Here's a few interesting buzz links:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1249688/panasonic-42-inch-g25-buzzing-issue/60#post_19730248

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsicYOXVqDA

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #15 of 26 Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 AM

My st30 did this after the warranty was up and I took of the back cover and tightened down the screws on the the right panel and all is good. Been a couple of months and no more sound. Poor workmanship as far as I am concerened.
post #16 of 26 Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Let us know what was causing the buzzing, and what the tech does to fix it. Some people have had that upper right board replaced, while others simply had one or more loose screws.
Here's a few interesting buzz links:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1249688/panasonic-42-inch-g25-buzzing-issue/60#post_19730248
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsicYOXVqDA

I'm going to break out the stethoscope and zero in on the area this weekend. The tv is mounted high on an articulating mount and standing behind it, it seems to have more noise from above the A board(rt side from behind). I'll post the result here. I plan on initiating a warranty claim next week.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM

I would be extremely cautious. My VT30 started buzzing, and it would get louder when the screen had a lot of white on it. About a month later, I heard a big POP and now it's dead. It has the 7 blinks of death. Needs a new SU or SD board.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 AM

I bought a P55ST30 just over a year ago. About 2 months ago the buzz started and just got worse. I found the multiple threads and videos about fixing it. today me and the wife took apart the TV and tightened all the screws. None of them required more than a 1/4 of a turn, but most of them needed a small bit. Powered her back up (the TV not the wife) and the buzzing is nearly gone! The only buzzing is coing from the rear of the TV if i am within a few inches. I can NOT hear it at all from the front of the TV and definitely not from the couch.

Thanks for the pointers!

-Will (and Liz)

MORE PIXELS!!!
post #19 of 26 Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 View Post

...the buzzing is nearly gone! The only buzzing is coming from the rear of the TV if i am within a few inches. I can NOT hear it at all from the front of the TV and definitely not from the couch.

That buzzing (in the back) is normal for a plasma. Now I know what to do if my VT30 starts buzzing (silent since I bought it, knock on wood).
post #20 of 26 Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:

The AVS forums come through again.

My Panasonic VT30 started buzzing pretty bad last week. I found this thread and never would have guessed it could be from a loose screw. Even though the TV is still under warranty I decided to take the back off and take a look myself. Sure enough, in the location that I heard the buzzing I found a screw that was only about a quarter turn loose. But, that fixed the problem! For good measure I put a tiny bit of lock-tite on all the screws for that particular circuit board.

Oh, and I remembered the post about the one person who saw that he was missing a mounting post for one of the cooling fans when he removed the back. So, I checked both fans and they were okay. But then I saw that I was missing a mounting screw and rubber gasket for the speakers. Come on Panasonic, what's going on in your assembly lines?

TCP65VT30

post #21 of 26 Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Over the last month or so my GT30 has started buzzing a good bit more than it had. Just noticed this thread.

Its wall mounted and I have my eye on a ZT60 late in the year, so Im not sure I will even worry about it. I cannot notice during normal levels, it just when I cut everything on and the AVR is low, its real loud.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #22 of 26 Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
my ST30 just started buzzing this week.. of course, I bought it from amazon on 2/9 last year so I'm just outside of my 1-yr warranty but did grab an extended warranty from squaretrade. Do I need to contact Amazon, SquareTrade or Panasonic? Or just check for a loose screw myself?
post #23 of 26 Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You should contact SquareTrade.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am the thread starter and I would like to give an update to my plasma. Since the tech came out and tightened the loose screws on my TV, I still have no buzz what so ever. My plasma has been a work horse, providing many hours of entertainment.

Cheers
post #25 of 26 Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 13
Nice to read a thread with 'rational' people attacking the "buzz" problem! Should make it a sticky b/c . . . . wait for it . . . . plasmas do not necessarily buzz . . . only when something is defective or failed in the TV!

Regards . . . Jim

------------------------------------------------------

GT30 "Custom" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6392

GT30 "THX" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6393
GT30 "Vivid" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6402

post #26 of 26 Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Thanks for this thread. The buzzing started a few months ago and progressively got worse.

I found three loose screws--including one about to fall out. I tightened them down (didn't have lock washers or loctite) and the buzzing disappeared. It's only been about three days but so far so good. If it begins again I'll try washers or loctite.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page