Panasonic TC-P65ST50 Wall Mount Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ordered a P65ST50 on Amazon last night and I'm really looking forward to the unit arriving. I need a wall mount though and so I'm looking for recommendations for a good model. I am using a Peerless in another room for a 63" Sammy Plasma (D550) that's a few years old that I'm quite happy with. I'm thinking of ordering the same model:

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-ST680P-Mount-Displays-Non-security/dp/B000ETCD7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340681647&sr=1-1&keywords=peerless+ST680

I like that it spans three studs as the wall I'm mounting on has metal studs. It has tilt adjustment so you can fine tune the mount a little.

Alternatively, is it possible to find a picture frame style mount for a TV this size? The type you see used with those ultra slim LCDs. This is quite a thin TV and I would love for it to mount almost flush with the wall.

Any other thoughts for suggestions for mounting this awesome TV?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
emu

No suggestions people? Some recent large plasma owners must have bought wall mounts? Perhaps there is a thread, I searched and didn't find anything recent.
post #3 of 28 Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Here is what I have for 65ST50

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=5916&seq=1&format=2

Xbox 360 gamertag: Cdub998
PSN: cdub998
post #4 of 28 Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am planning to buy an 65ST50 and will be using a Chief LSTU to mount it. It is a static wall mount and combined with the monitor should have a depth of ~2.4". There is also a tilting version of this mount, the LTTU which is .25" deeper.

Chief doesn't list either mount as compatible with the 65ST50, but I think they will both work. Both mounts are universal and are wide enough to accept the 65ST50's bolt pattern (684mm). The LTTU has a 100 pound limit and a max TV depth of 2", the 65ST50 doesn't exceed either. Both mounts also include some plastic bushings that are supposed to be used for recessed mounting holes and they can increase the mounting depth 1/8".

I do have one potential dilemma. On previous Panasonic plasmas, the power connector has been very large. Also, the power connector is a 90 degree and depending on your mount, can cause a conflict. In thin mounting scenarios, I have had to replace the power cable with a smaller OEM 90 degree IEC cord. Any chance you can measure to see how far the power connection sticks of the back of the monitor? Which direction does it turn?

I do have a plan to solve the power connector depth issue. I want to use a recessed back box like the Chief PAC 511 or PAC 516 behind the monitor and align it with the power connector.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19

This is what I bought....seems solid and GREAT price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J3HTQG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

post #6 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulminis View Post

I am planning to buy an 65ST50 and will be using a Chief LSTU to mount it. It is a static wall mount and combined with the monitor should have a depth of ~2.4". There is also a tilting version of this mount, the LTTU which is .25" deeper.
Chief doesn't list either mount as compatible with the 65ST50, but I think they will both work. Both mounts are universal and are wide enough to accept the 65ST50's bolt pattern (684mm). The LTTU has a 100 pound limit and a max TV depth of 2", the 65ST50 doesn't exceed either. Both mounts also include some plastic bushings that are supposed to be used for recessed mounting holes and they can increase the mounting depth 1/8".
I do have one potential dilemma. On previous Panasonic plasmas, the power connector has been very large. Also, the power connector is a 90 degree and depending on your mount, can cause a conflict. In thin mounting scenarios, I have had to replace the power cable with a smaller OEM 90 degree IEC cord. Any chance you can measure to see how far the power connection sticks of the back of the monitor? Which direction does it turn?
I do have a plan to solve the power connector depth issue. I want to use a recessed back box like the Chief PAC 511 or PAC 516 behind the monitor and align it with the power connector.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I actually had the Peerless tilting mount on order and I cancelled it because I would really like a slim line mount. However, I'm concerned since I have mount the display slightly higher to avoid sticky fingers from my 11 month old that I might want to tilt it down. I don't want to put it up too high, ruins the viewing experience, I'm think I can put it out of reach of her until she's about two. At that height I can probably get away with a non-tilt mount I think.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

One thing I don't like about the Chief mounts is that I don't think they are wide enough to span 3 studs. I'm mounting into metal studs and prefer to be hanging from three in that case. If I had wood studs I would feel more comfortable with the Chief models. The Peerless mount I was going to order (and I already have for another Plasma) is really wide and hit three studs nicely on the opposite side of the same wall.

As for the power cord, I measured how far it's protruding from the back of the TV, it's roughly 3/4 of an inch from the overall back of the TV. It's right angled as you mention and points down.
fulminis likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

This is what I bought....seems solid and GREAT price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J3HTQG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Yeah, looks pretty good, don't think it will span 3 studs though, which I think I'll feel more comfortable with since I have metal studs.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Yeah, I've got a couple of monoprice mounts, they're great, bit nervous mounting a $2K TV with one, but then the ones I've ordered have all been very well made, if not quite as slick as the more expensive options. However, this mount won't span 3 studs like the others.
post #9 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

No I suppose it won't normally span 3 studs. I have mine in between 2 windows so the studs are closer together.

post #10 of 28 Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

I had "bare" stud walls to work with, so I actually built a few cross beams so I have connections to the equivalent of 6 studs, maybe 8 smile.gif

post #11 of 28 Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 AM

Not many mounts are going to span 3 studs. Granted this TV is very big, but it still weighs less than 100 pounds and you aren't putting it on an articulating mount. You will probably be OK with 2 studs, but I would consider some monster toggle bolts. The other thing you could do is an extra backing layer out of thin plywood, probably should be painted black. That could span 3 studs and you could mount to that and the studs.

I have an 8 month old and 2.5 year old. There was a time when the older one was infatuated with pressing buttons on the TV, but it didn't last that long. I never had a problem with finger prints. If it were me I would mount it at the desired height and keep the kid away with a temporary fence or something. It is also worth noting that some mounts will give you a little height flexibility, the universals from chief being one. You could also remount it lower in a few years as the foot print of the TV will cover a range of holes. You might be over thinking this one though.

Thank you for measuring the power connector. It sounds like I will have to address it with a lower profile power cord or a recessed box. I'll never understand why these manufactures go to great lengths to recess the AV connection only to have a power connection hang off the back.
post #12 of 28 Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulminis View Post

Not many mounts are going to span 3 studs. Granted this TV is very big, but it still weighs less than 100 pounds and you aren't putting it on an articulating mount. You will probably be OK with 2 studs, but I would consider some monster toggle bolts. The other thing you could do is an extra backing layer out of thin plywood, probably should be painted black. That could span 3 studs and you could mount to that and the studs.
I have an 8 month old and 2.5 year old. There was a time when the older one was infatuated with pressing buttons on the TV, but it didn't last that long. I never had a problem with finger prints. If it were me I would mount it at the desired height and keep the kid away with a temporary fence or something. It is also worth noting that some mounts will give you a little height flexibility, the universals from chief being one. You could also remount it lower in a few years as the foot print of the TV will cover a range of holes. You might be over thinking this one though.
Thank you for measuring the power connector. It sounds like I will have to address it with a lower profile power cord or a recessed box. I'll never understand why these manufactures go to great lengths to recess the AV connection only to have a power connection hang off the back.

Yeah, the Peerless mount is the only one I've seen that spans three studs, but there may be others. It was the mount recommended by many in this forum a few years ago when I was mounting a Samsung Plasma (63"). It is heavier than the ST50 though. It amazes me that the newer Plasmas are so light, 83 lb without the base is impressive! Regardless, I prefer to over engineer solutions like this. The consequences of the TV falling are not just monetary but if it fell on my daughter...

The ideal solution as some have mentioned here is to mount plywood across the studs (under the dry wall) which given this is an existing wall would require cutting out the drywall, then using drywall compound to patch over it. I'm never happy with the end result when I try to match the knock down pattern of my drywall (it's not totally smooth). Even though it's behind the TV, it still bothers me. I could mount on the top of the drywall with plywood, but then I've just added depth to the mount and I may as well go with the mount that spans three studs.

You may be right that I'm over thinking the issue with my daughter messing with the TV. She's actually quite obedient right now, although that may change around 2 or 3. smile.gif Or the fence idea, why compromise on the TV when really I should just be teaching my daughter what is off limits. The main goal is to get all the wires off the ground, out of reach. My sister worked in a hospital where a young baby was brought in with horrific burns to the mouth from chewing through a cable, so she's constantly on me to do this. So where I mount the TV isn't so critical and a few finger prints can be wiped off.

I had pretty much made the decision last night to order the Peerless NON-tilt model. It's specs list it as being 1.8" deep, not as nice as the Chief but better than the tilt model which is around 3" deep. Also, if I decide I need tilt for this TV I can actually swap the tilt portion of the other peerless mount I have since that TV has never needed the tilt feature.

No worries on the power connector. I actually thought it was quite slim line! So there are even slimmer options? That's another reason I think I need to skip the Chief mount, I don't want to spend the time recessing the power connector etc. although you didn't mention 3rd party power connectors, do you have any links to those?
post #13 of 28 Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM

I had the issue with the IEC cord last year. It conflicted with the Chief TS series pullout mount we were using. The mount had a square bracket that mounted to the TV and went right over the power connection. We had to shift the bracket on the monitor and the remount the articulating portion of the mount (on brick I might add). Even after shifting the bracket, the power cable turner right into the bracket. I needed to find a IEC that turned to the left, instead of the right.

What I found is that almost every singe 90 degree IEC cable points the same direction. I probably looked at 30-40 of them before finding a left facing IEC from TrippLite, model # IEC-320-C13 for $3.58 on Buy.com. I don't think it was actually slimmer, but it didn't conflict with the mount.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Just wanted to let everyone know that I ended up ordering the Peerless non-tilt model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ETCD0W/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

It arrived today. I'll post my impression and potentially some pictures when I get it installed later this week.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
emu

So I'm working on mounting the TV tonight. I'm a little worried about the brackets and attaching them to the ST50. If I use one of the small holes towards the top of the bracket then the bottom of the bracket can be seen when looking at the TV from the front. The only way to completely hide the brackets is to put both screws in the looooong holes where the only thing holding the TV in place vertically is the pressure/friction from the screw. I'm thinking this is how I ended up mounting my other plasma three years ago but I don't remember for sure.

If the mounting holes on the back of the ST50 were further part, this wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it okay to not have one screw in one of the smaller holes at the top of the bracket?
post #16 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu View Post

So I'm working on mounting the TV tonight. I'm a little worried about the brackets and attaching them to the ST50. If I use one of the small holes towards the top of the bracket then the bottom of the bracket can be seen when looking at the TV from the front. The only way to completely hide the brackets is to put both screws in the looooong holes where the only thing holding the TV in place vertically is the pressure/friction from the screw. I'm thinking this is how I ended up mounting my other plasma three years ago but I don't remember for sure.
If the mounting holes on the back of the ST50 were further part, this wouldn't be a problem.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it okay to not have one screw in one of the smaller holes at the top of the bracket?

I would make sure you have a washer on it then. The only thing that could happen would be it slide down a little bit. But its not going to fall off the wall or anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

post #17 of 28 Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub998 View Post

I would make sure you have a washer on it then. The only thing that could happen would be it slide down a little bit. But its not going to fall off the wall or anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks. I've been thinking the same thing. I experimented with it attached like that and it certainly seems solid. I had two good sized washers on each bolt anyway because I felt they were a little long based on the specs in the ST50's manual.

We tried calling Peerless today to ask their advice but they are closed for the 4th of July period.

I suppose I could mount it that way and if I find it does slip at some point I could pick up a couple of pieces of angle iron (without the angle) and put it between the bracket and the TV. Attaching it to the top of the bracket through the small holes using a nut and bolt and then passing the screw that attaches to the TV through another hole effectively extending the small holes on the Peerless mounting brackets. Annoying to have to do that to a $130 mount honestly. Other than this snafu, it's a really nicely engineered mount, just like the Peerless I bought 3 years ago.

For all I know it's normal to attach the bracket through only the long holes. Anyone else have any thoughts, similar experience?

Thanks.
post #18 of 28 Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
emu

So I mounted the TV over the weekend. I've attached some pics showing what it looks like. I'm overall very happy with the peerless mount, despite my concerns about the brackets and how they mount to the TV it does seem incredibly solid and I'm quite happy with the distance from the wall and overall look. The install is not finished yet, have to route power and cables, install a component shelf etc. but thought I'd post my impressions of the Peerless mount. It makes me feel good knowing it's spanning three studs, especially with metal studs.

post #19 of 28 Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM

So I bought the same mount for the same TV and found that the holes do not line up. What I mean is that the holes for the TV only go fit in the long rail holes so that friction is basically holding the TV up. Did you do anything differently?
post #20 of 28 Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM

post #21 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM

I'm a bit nervous, some of these mount suggestions look decent until you read the low star reviews. Can anyone comment please? Just took deliver of 65ST50.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotscot View Post

I'm a bit nervous, some of these mount suggestions look decent until you read the low star reviews. Can anyone comment please? Just took deliver of 65ST50.

i will try to dig up what i bought from monoprice, it will hold up an elephant.

post #23 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotscot View Post

While I doubt the TV itself could handle it, I'm pretty confident my Monoprice mount would be just fine with me jumping up and down on my 65ST50. I was also nervous about wall-mounting until I had the mount on the wall and saw the physics of it.

I don't know which reviews you're referring to, but at least on Monoprice a lot of the negatives were a result of user error and/or non-product related complaints. Not that you want to put holes in your wall for no reason, but for piece of mind, just remember that if you have any doubts at all about the stability of the mount once it's on the wall, just don't hang the TV.
post #24 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

i will try to dig up what i bought from monoprice, it will hold up an elephant.

Please do....

Thanks
post #25 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Ok Monoprice looks good although a lot of their brackets are specified to 63 inch rather than 65 inch. Any feeling on how it compares to Peerless?

Update: I think I'm going to go with this. I chatted to an agent and he said the 63 inch spec was just approx. He looked up the spec for the Panansonic and said it would be ok.
I am a bit concerned that the power plug at the back sticks out too far but fingers crossed.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082807&p_id=7848&seq=1&format=2#description
post #26 of 28 Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Update.

Bought the Monoprice mount. $18.00 plus $5.85 overnight.

My wife and I mounted...sorry...my wife and I installed the wall mount so uneventfully that it was almost anti-climatic.
Four bolts right into the studs. It spanned three studs, one bolt in center stud, two on each side. Five total.
Mount is rock solid. Very easy to lift the Plasma and place on mount.
I'll post some pics later.
post #27 of 28 Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotscot View PostUpdate.  Bought the Monoprice mount. $18.00 plus $5.85 overnight.

My wife and I mounted...sorry...my wife and I installed the wall mount so uneventfully that it was almost anti-climatic.
Four bolts right into the studs. It spanned three studs, one bolt in center stud, two on each side. Five total.
Mount is rock solid. Very easy to lift the Plasma and place on mount.
I'll post some pics later.

Cool which one how heavy was the plasma?

post #28 of 28 Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 AM

Panasonic TC-P65ST50 86 Ibs

The mount was
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082807&p_id=6523&seq=1&format=2

Perfect for me. No issues in the slightest. Highly recommended. (Make sure you can locate the joists)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page