Broken TC-P55VT30! Need a Replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I recently moved.

Paid a ton for a box and insurance... to make a long story short. They broke it. (Panel was cracked in 4 different places, Glass was in tact, but the panel itself was cracked).

I had this thing ISF custom tuned by ChadB and everything. I cried myself to sleep that night.

So they are going to reimburse me for 'cost of replacement.' Which is much less than what I paid for it, but at least its something.

But enough back story.

What is a good replacement for this panel? Is it really just the 2012 Model of the 55VT50? A buddy of mine said to check into LED TVs, but are they really good for heavy motion shows? (Hockey, Video Games, tons of Movies).

Any recommendations for replacements?

Also, Anyone know if I can return this panel to get it 'repaired' or with the Panel itself being cracked, is it a lost cause?

Thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Sorry to hear about your loss. This is why I usually do the moving of my TVs myself. I have successfully moved by 500m (in its original box) from NJ to DC and then DC to Chicago in the back of a moving truck.

I would make sure they reimburse you the cost of the TV and what you paid for them to box/move the TV. In the end, the worthy replacement is the VT50 or if you want to safe some money, the ST/GT50. The ST is without a doubt a nice step up from your VT30 and the reimbursement money from them should cover it

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #3 of 10 Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The VT50 is the replacement for the VT30. I wouldn't accept any other display as a replacement.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRogue View Post

So I recently moved.
Paid a ton for a box and insurance... to make a long story short. They broke it. (Panel was cracked in 4 different places, Glass was intact, but the panel itself was cracked).

I never understood why a professional mover needs to charge additional for "insurance". I mean they move stuff for a living - you'd think they can accomplish that without breaking TVs and mirrors and china cabinets and other glass items. I've moved a few times and i've helped friends move many times and i can't remember any of us breaking anything - and we're not even pros. It should be a given that if they break something through their own carelessness and negligence, they should have their own insurance or be self-bonded to reimburse you for the items they broke, not charge their customers extra to be made partially whole in the event that they break items entrusted to them.

Quote:
I had this thing ISF custom tuned by ChadB and everything. I cried myself to sleep that night. So they are going to reimburse me for 'cost of replacement.' Which is much less than what I paid for it, but at least its something. What is a good replacement for this panel? Is it really just the 2012 Model of the 55VT50?

Yes, 55VT50. I would insist on paying you the purchase price of your 55VT30 as well as the price you paid to have it Calibrated, as well as sales tax and shipping. Personally i'd insist they pay me my original purchase price of the TV and the Calibration, not have me settle for a lower price - especially since you paid extra for the insurance.

Quote:
A buddy of mine said to check into LED TVs, but are they really good for heavy motion shows? (Hockey, Video Games, tons of Movies). Any recommendations for replacements?

Nah, LED LCD TVs suck biggrin.gif

Quote:
Also, Anyone know if I can return this panel to get it 'repaired' or with the Panel itself being cracked, is it a lost cause?
Thanks folks.

If you didn't power it up after it got cracked then the damage will be limited to just the panel and all the boards and power supply etc will be undamaged so you can either have a new panel installed, or sell the broken TV for parts (the boards and cabinet and outer glass etc). Replacing the panel is indeed expensive and the high cost might not be worth it, so get an estimate from a few Panasonic repair centers. If you haven't powered it up since the impact let them know that. And whatever you do, don't get curious and plug that TV in - no not try to turn it on - doing so will most likely cause more collateral damage among the other boards and components.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the Responses.

Unfortunately I did turn the TV on, so I doubt I can get anymore than someone wanting the Glass Panel... do People even buy the glass anymore?

Is there a new Panasonic TV comign out anytime soon? I just checked the price of the P55VT50 and it dropped by a couple hundred dollars... (Same with the P65 model)
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Is there a new Panasonic TV comign out anytime soon? I just checked the price of the P55VT50 and it dropped by a couple hundred dollars... (Same with the P65 model)

There won't be any new models released until spring of 2013. How much is the mover's insurance company giving you for the broken TV?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 19
They should be giving you the cost of a new VT50 plus calibration.

And you had better hurry. Amazon doesn't have any.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Thanks for all the Responses.
Unfortunately I did turn the TV on, so I doubt I can get anymore than someone wanting the Glass Panel... do People even buy the glass anymore?

I just noticed that you started this thread 3 weeks ago. I thought by now you would've had it replaced? Is the insurance company not taking care of you? They should automatically replace with you a 55VT50 and nothing less.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Insurance Company only gave me "replacement Cost." I argued with them that I had it professionally calibrated, and they said that it was something I did after the fact and that Panasonic's "replacement" only cost 2100.

I checked Cleveland Plasma (hope I'm allowed to say that), and that their price was under what the Insurance Company gave me. I could have argued much more, but I think it would have cost me more in fee's and annoyances than just accepting the 2,100 I got from them. The TV did cost me 2,800 from when I first bought it, but...

Guess ill call up Cleveland tomorrow and get this sucker ordered.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

The VT50 is the replacement for the VT30. I wouldn't accept any other display as a replacement.

Amen....if you were happy with the VT30 you should be a bit more with the VT50. Why settle for second best and sorry for your loss.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page