ISF calibration might void Panasonic warranty. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quick bit of info. I was just on the phone with Panasonic Netherlands enquiring about the DSE on my tv. They acknowledged it was a fault, but then they asked if it had been calibrated. It was a good thing I didn't according to the Panasonic employee because that would have void the warranty. I even asked if I could do it being ISF certified. She was sure it would void warranty unless done by an official panasonic support centre. I told her I could not believe that and asked her to go check it out again. She told me she would and would get back to me. As soon as I receive an updated answer I will post it here. But I would recommend to call your local Panasonic office to be sure.

*Edit thread title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I wold have advised her that many of Panasonic's retailers offer ISF calibration for an additional charge. Some will even recommend to get the most satisfaction from their new TV. I would then have asked her if a service bulletin to dealers and their service department, stating that ISF calibrations will cause loss of warranty. Sounds like a possible misinformed agent to me. But then again, anything is possible in this crazy industry.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Drivel.....utter nonsense. You can carry out an ISF calibration in the USER menu of the display. If using the USER available settings results in invalidating the warranty then EVERYONE who has ever altered the contrast or brightness or any other parameter in the USER menu's has just invalidated the warranty.....which would seem unlikely

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah told her the things you both said. Regarding information for dealers and the fact that any consumer could void warranty by simply fiddling with the settings. She still insisted on it. That's why I have asked for further clarification. I found it very strange. But as soon as i hear anything I will update it here, it could take a few days though.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Baloney. The GTs and VTs have ISF day/night options built in.

TWD
post #6 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

Baloney. The GTs and VTs have ISF day/night options built in.

Yeah that's what i said. But she went away for 10 minutes or so to check. This was the answer I got. So i told her again in detail why it made no sense at all. She would check again and get back to me. I just thought it might be worth to mention, companies have some weird policies now and then.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 72
It might help to know what model you are talking about,ST, GT,VT. I'm sure it's a euro tv. Does it have ISF modes that are unlockable like the North American VT? If so then it's a selling feature.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

It might help to know what model you are talking about,ST, GT,VT. I'm sure it's a euro tv. Does it have ISF modes that are unlockable like the North American VT? If so then it's a selling feature.

This is concerning a 50VT50 EU model. Which has the unlockable ISF modes.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked: 10
She was more than likely confused and was referring to someone who goes into the service menu for calibration purposes and screws something up, which I thought was not covered under warranty and may void the warranty as well . I'm not sure on this though.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Original mail I received. Will try and translate as best as I can. If any Dutch members see errors please do not hesitate to correct them.

Omtrent de calibratie wij hebben de volgende antwoord binnegekregen:

"Gaat gaat erom dat als er iets (defect) gebeurd met de tv tijdens of net na de calibratie doordat er
onzorgvuldig iets wordt veranderd dan zal dat niet onder garantie vallen.

Als het toestel is gecallibreerd en er mocht daarna een "normale"storing optreden
dat bijvoorbeeld de voeding stuk gaat valt dat gewoon onder garantie."

Als u nog vragen heeft u kunt ons een reply aan deze email sturen of telefonisch contact opnemen.

Regarding calibration we have received the folowing answers:

"In the case that something (defect) happens to the TV during or right after calibration due to a careless changing of settings then that won't be covered by the warranty."

If a "regular failure" happens after calibration, for example a failure of the power supply, then that will be covered by the warranty.

If you might have any further questions please reply to this email or contact us by telephone.

This still seems a bit vague to me. I will reply and ask what they mean by a careless changing of settings, i.e. changing any regular menu option related to picture calibration or changing values in the service menu.
Will keep you guys up to date.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 04:20 AM

Liked: 10
Hi azurisk,

this is the reply I got from Panasonic asking them about the missing feature 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz on the europe models, I got me a 50VT50E as well wink.gif
Quote:
Beste,

Excuses voor de late reactie en hartelijk dank voor het gebruik maken van onze Panasonic klantenservice.

Ook de NL versie van deze tv heeft de 24p Cinematic playback, genaamd 24p smooth film. Dit kunt u selecteren via beeld --- geavanceerde instellingen --- 24p smooth film

Hopende u hiermee voldoende te hebben geïnformeerd.

Opmerking: Als u zich wilt abonneren op een van onze nieuwsbrieven klik dan op de onderstaande link en vul uw e-mail adres in. Voor verdere vragen en/of opmerkingen bel of mail ons Panasonic callcenter.

Nieuwsbrief: http://panasonic.nl/html/nl_NL/2216/module/myPanasonic/registration/newsletter/lookup.html

Met vriendelijke groet,

Robert Bek

Panasonic callcenter
Tel: +31 (0)73 640 28 02
Fax : +31 (0)73 640 26 35
E-mail: infocentre.nl@eu.panasonic.com

www.panasonic.nl
www.panasonic.be

Panasonic Benelux

Europalaan 30 (P.O. box 236)

5232BC ’s-Hertogenbosch, (5201 AE)

The Netherlands

Panasonic Benelux is a branch of

Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH

Hagenauer Strasse 43, D-65203 Wiesbaden

to make a long story short, meaning that 24p Playback (3:2)/24p Smooth is the 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz

well I didn't buy that, and send him reply with the difference in specs compard with EU en NA models that
it is an extra feature and not the same, so I'm waiting again for a reply, will keep you informed.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALHD View Post

Hi azurisk,
this is the reply I got from Panasonic asking them about the missing feature 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz on the europe models, I got me a 50VT50E as well wink.gif
Quote:
Beste,
Excuses voor de late reactie en hartelijk dank voor het gebruik maken van onze Panasonic klantenservice.
Ook de NL versie van deze tv heeft de 24p Cinematic playback, genaamd 24p smooth film. Dit kunt u selecteren via beeld --- geavanceerde instellingen --- 24p smooth film
Hopende u hiermee voldoende te hebben geïnformeerd.
Opmerking: Als u zich wilt abonneren op een van onze nieuwsbrieven klik dan op de onderstaande link en vul uw e-mail adres in. Voor verdere vragen en/of opmerkingen bel of mail ons Panasonic callcenter.
Nieuwsbrief: http://panasonic.nl/html/nl_NL/2216/module/myPanasonic/registration/newsletter/lookup.html
Met vriendelijke groet,
Robert Bek
Panasonic callcenter
Tel: +31 (0)73 640 28 02
Fax : +31 (0)73 640 26 35
E-mail: infocentre.nl@eu.panasonic.com
www.panasonic.nl
www.panasonic.be
Panasonic Benelux
Europalaan 30 (P.O. box 236)
5232BC ’s-Hertogenbosch, (5201 AE)
The Netherlands
Panasonic Benelux is a branch of
Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH
Hagenauer Strasse 43, D-65203 Wiesbaden
to make a long story short, meaning that 24p Playback (3:2)/24p Smooth is the 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz
well I didn't buy that, and send him reply with the difference in specs compard with EU en NA models that
it is an extra feature and not the same, so I'm waiting again for a reply, will keep you informed.

I have no idea what this has to do with the topic of my thread, but I think I can answer your question though. From what I know the panasonic tv's over here are standard set to 96Hz. There are quite a few options we do not have which US tv's do have. For example they can change panel brightness in the menu's. That's something we can;t do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page