Panasonic Europe VT50E / B Calibration and Settings Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there you guys,
I thought let's start a Panasonic Calibration and settings thread for the Europe users as it appears
there indeed some calibration and setting differences compared with the NA Models !

Europe models :

TX-P50VT50E
TX-P55VT50E
TX-P65VT50E

TX-P50VT50B
TX-P55VT50B
TX-P65VT50B

Europe Tech Specifications (in Dutch)
aaf49DIT.jpg

NA Tech Specifications
aakmnMzI.jpg

as you can see and I also send Panasonic an e-mail about it, the Europe model is missing the 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz feature.
(will keep you informed about this as soon a receive a reply from Panasonic)

The following bluray has been used for the Calibration for mine TX-P50VT50E

Disney WOW World of Wonder Calibration Suite 2-Disc Edition

and

Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark

Please note : Some setting options are not active before you enable ISFccc in the Setup menu.

Home Theater PC :
In order to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping you need to select the aspect ratio called “16:9" in the TV settings. You also need to deactivate 16:9 Overscan.

Night Time Calibration :

Viewing Mode : Professional1
Contrast : 60
Brightness : -1
Colour : 35
Sharpness : 5
Colour Gammut : Rec. 709
Eco Mode : Off

Advanced Settings:

White Balance
R-Gain : 0
G-Gain : 0
B-Gain : 0
R-Cutoff : 0
G-Cutoff : 0
B-Cutoff : 0
More Detailed Adjustment
Input Signal Level : 100 IRE
R-Gain : 0
G-Gain : 0
B-Gain : 0

Colour Management
R-Hue : 0
G-Hue : 0
B-Hue : 0
R-Saturation : 0
G-Saturation : 0
B-Saturation : 0
R-Luminance : 0
G-Luminance : 0
B-Luminance : 0
More Detailed Adjustment
Y-Hue : 0
C-Hue : 0
M-Hue : 0
Y-Saturation : 0
C-Saturation : 0
M-Saturation : 0
Y-Luminance : 0
C-Luminance : 0
M-Luminance : 0

Gamma : 2.4
More Detailed Adjustment
Input Signal Level : 100 IRE
Gain : 0
1080p Pure Direct : On
24p Smooth Film : Off
Side Panel : Off
16:9 Overscan : Off

Please feel free to share your Calibration / Settings in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 AM

tnx,

RealHD, can't wait to try this settigns out

just bought 50VT50E three days ago, and works perfect, ...
until i tried to calibrate and my 50vt50 doesn't have - pro1/2 and game picture modes, and also some modes in advanced menu are missing, WTH.

I contacted my seller, but they are complete retards with answer 99% doesn't use that ...

Is it possible that at startup when i chose language and country - slovenia, this bug happened,

someone with 50vt50E got the same problem? please respond ...

i'll try and restart it today and set it to germany or uk, but ... grrr, so disapointed and frustrated right now ...

what, 50vt50? no sh.. ... oh my ... oh wow ... oh my ... breath toxa
post #3 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxa View Post

tnx,
RealHD, can't wait to try this settigns out
just bought 50VT50E three days ago, and works perfect, ...
until i tried to calibrate and my 50vt50 doesn't have - pro1/2 and game picture modes, and also some modes in advanced menu are missing, WTH.
I contacted my seller, but they are complete retards with answer 99% doesn't use that ...
Is it possible that at startup when i chose language and country - slovenia, this bug happened,
someone with 50vt50E got the same problem? please respond ...
i'll try and restart it today and set it to germany or uk, but ... grrr, so disapointed and frustrated right now ...

No need to worry m8, it's there, just had a laugh about that the seller told you 99% doesn't use that, hehe hilarous.

Anyways "Some setting options are not active before you enable ISFccc in the Setup menu" !
Set your language to English makes things easier.

Follow these steps:
-Menu (on your remote)
-Setup
-Advance (isfccc) then press OK on your remote and set it to " On "
Now go back to Picture > Viewing Mode and you will see Game, Pro1, and Pro2 mode.
Good luck and welcome to the club wink.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 PM

Huh, followed the advice and voila, magic happened. Pro 1 and 2 appeared before my almost tear soken eyes ... now i'll dig in and study this peace of equipement... dlna working fine - connected to my N66u router,

Any suggestions about HDD that connects to TV? Also i have Xrite i1 calibrator for my Dell monitor, is it usefull for calibrating TV?

so many questions ... i guess i'll have to search this forum a bit, i'm sure there is alreday an answer ...

THANKS REALHD, first step conquered...

post #5 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Huh, followed the advice and voila, magic happened. Pro 1 and 2 appeared before my almost tear soken eyes ... now i'll dig in and study this peace of equipement... dlna working fine - connected to my N66u router,
Any suggestions about HDD that connects to TV?

HDD like in connecting to it's usb-port in the side of your VT50 or do you mean something else ?
Quote:

Also i have Xrite i1 calibrator for my Dell monitor, is it usefull for calibrating TV?.

Well good question I'm not familiar with it, so I really can't tell m8, hope that someone else can.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALHD View Post

HDD like in connecting to it's usb-port in the side of your VT50 or do you mean something else ?
Well good question I'm not familiar with it, so I really can't tell m8, hope that someone else can.

I mean if there is a certain brand or type of HDD that connects to VT50 - must i buy a HDD that VT50 prefers? i have 500 GB WD book (actualy i have 2 - second is on router - for vpn, download management, ftp and movies - via dlna).

Is there perhaps a usefull link where i can find what can i connect to V50 (on 3 USB ports, ...)
- i'll need a keyboard - viera app (allthough usefull for transfering pictures & videos) is not wery usefull for browsing ..

apropo Xrite i1 calibrator for PC - i have also a sony vaio laptop with hdmi port and i was wondering, if i use VT50 as the second monitor, with calibrator connected to may laptop, if it is going to work ... i'll try and report this weekend. with dual core inside, everything is possible ... as much as i know this tv is the best thing that hit me technologicly since CD writer.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Great stuff, happy to see it's not me going crazy but just us Europeans getting differnt setting menus :-))

Are you sure the 1080p Pure Direct : On is a good option, I think I saw somewhere to not enable this...
Anyhow, your settings look very similar to mine, so I guess I have done a not to bad job calibrating on gut feeling :-)

ps: Not really linked to calibration but does anybody knows if it is normal that the optical out signal doesn't send trough dolby or DTS to my receiver?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post

Great stuff, happy to see it's not me going crazy but just us Europeans getting differnt setting menus :-))

My best guess would be Panasonic doesn't like Europeans tongue.gif
or maybe they are going to add/change some features/settings in the next firmware release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post

Are you sure the 1080p Pure Direct : On is a good option, I think I saw somewhere to not enable this...
?

Source : HDtvtest.co.uk/
1080p Pure Direct” mode, which promises to cut out extraneous image processing for an image that’s more true to the source.

The new 1080p Pure Direct mode

Upon hearing of a “Pure Direct” mode, videophiles’ ears will prick up, since any mode which bypasses unwanted processing usually results in higher image quality. We scoured test patterns and high quality video material at length, and we found that the only difference with this mode is the one which Panasonic advertised: with the 1080p Pure Direct mode turned on, the full chroma bandwidth of the video was preserved, meaning that tiny coloured details were not blurred out by the TV. Of course, to see tiny coloured details, they need to exist in the source to start with. There are a couple of prerequisites regarding this control that we’ll mention at the end of this section.

Higher chroma bandwidth is going to be of most benefit to material with small coloured details and edges, such as high quality, HD-sourced, saturated 2D animation. A Chief Engineer from Panasonic made a well-observed point a couple of years ago in a tech paper on a related subject, when he mentioned that higher chroma resolution also causes film grain to appear more natural and, in their words, less “sticky”. However, on a television-sized display, we feel that the differences, while welcome, are subtle.

One misconception we’ve come across online is that higher chroma resolution results in more saturated colours, but this is determined by the display’s colour gamut, not by signal bandwidth (current Plasma TVs have absolutely no problem meeting the colour requirements of HDTV, and exceeding them isn’t even a good idea). High chroma bandwidth simply means that tiny coloured details will not be blurred out by the television.

All video sources available to consumers – with the exception of PCs and HD video game consoles – use chroma subsampling as a form of compression, that is, to reduce the storage requirements. Chroma subsampling is where the coloured data in an image is stored at a lower resolution than the black and white luminance data. In the current 1920×1080 HDTV system most commonly used on Blu-ray Disc, only the black and white luminance portion of the video is actually 1920×1080. The resolution of the coloured “layer” which is composited on top of that black and white image is effectively 960×540, although attempts at enhancing chroma resolution can increase the clarity of these fine details. The thinking goes that because our eyes are much better at detecting fine details in brightness, but not in colour, that every second colour pixel can be thrown away and guessed from its neighbours (or, with more advanced processing, more intelligently reconstructed). Panasonic sells Blu-ray players with “Reference Chroma Processing”, which promise to better reconstruct the details lost to chroma sub-sampling, and then output the chroma-upscaled image as a full-bandwidth 4:4:4 signal over HDMI. Ironically, the effects of these players will have mostly been lost on previous Panasonic plasmas due to their inability to display full chroma bandwidth! We assume that the “1080p Pure Direct” feature has been added to address this irony, and that it is intended for use with these advanced BD players, meaning that customers now have an entirely Panasonic-branded solution for enhanced chroma detail from Blu-ray.

Because of the fact that nearly all video sources have been compromised in this way, preserving full chroma bandwidth does not seem to be a priority for TV manufacturers. We also understand that using lower resolution chroma processing in a video processor chip allows the complexity and cost to be reduced, and manufacturers like to route all signals through these chips to provide essential features like deinterlacing, scaling, and other video “enhancements” like noise reduction. However, a 1080p signal being displayed on a 1080p panel doesn’t need deinterlaced, doesn’t need scaled, and because we just want to see the video as-is without any revisions, we don’t want noise reduction either. So, although it barely makes a difference to image quality, there’s no reason for us not to turn on the 1080p Pure Direct mode.

We found that the option to turn the feature on could be a little bit elusive. The [1080p Pure Direct] menu option should appear in the [Advanced Settings] menu underneath “Gamma”. But, it only appears with certain types of signal. It does not appear with any type of RGB input over HDMI, which is strange, because all digital RGB signals are 4:4:4. And, the option does not appear with 24p 4:2:2 signals, such as those sent by most Blu-ray players – although when we tested this signal type, we found that there was no need for the choice to appear because the chroma bandwidth was not being compromised, anyway. Strangely, 50p and 60p 4:2:2 signals did cause the option to appear. With the HDMI output of a source set to 4:4:4 mode, the control was selectable in all cases, and we advise turning it on. If you’re interested in getting the last drop of performance out of your setup, we recommend grabbing a copy of the Spears & Munsil test disc and checking out the Chroma patterns on it under various player configurations. On a TV-sized display, don’t expect to see any huge difference, though.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Like you i have to set Contrast to maximum to get a decent white level (in AVS HD 709 and also Disney's WOW).

Are you sure those are normal settings?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page