Best 60" Plasma TV between $1600-$2500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question I just got my basement finished and now looking for a new tv. I have a Pioneer PDP-5071PU in my family room and it's the best tv I have ever had. I want to stay with a plasma and don't have need for 3D or the tv to be online. The tv will be mostly used for hd viewing of movies and tv shows, occasional gaming. I was looking at Model: Panasonic TC-P60GT50 even though it's 3D and online, I figured it would be hard to find a tv without those features. Please advise.

I also looked at these two Models: Samsung TC-P60GT50 and Samsung PN60E7000FFXZA

Thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't overlook the Panasonic UT series.

I just got a 50" and it's AMAZING!!!

The 60" model ..... TC-P60UT50 runs under your price range if you go to Best Buy this week.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSnoop4O View Post

.... I want to stay with a plasma and don't have need for 3D or the tv to be online. The tv will be mostly used for hd viewing of movies and tv shows, occasional gaming. I was looking at Model: Panasonic TC-P60GT50...
I also looked a... Samsung PN60E7000FFXZA...Thoughts?

Best bang for your buck for a 2012 plasma = Panasonic ST50 or Samsung E6500.

The Pan GT50 or Samsung E7000 plasmas would be the next step up in price - but they both seem to add more in Features (and perhaps "Style") than they do in Real World PQ.

The Pan VT50 (which is only available in 55" & 65" sizes in any event) is probably out of the price range you mention - - and would guess that the Samsung E8000 is as well.

We have a 60" ST50, just over 2 months in use, and it provides a Wonderful PQ. Note, however, that a number of 2012 Panny owners have reported New Panel Teething Problems: heightened IR, and/or Uniformity Issues of some sort.

Ours has had BOTH of these problems:
The Uniformity issues dissipated somewhere between 100 to 200 hours of usage. The "vertical shadow" we had - just inside the R bezel - might have remained visible on Selected Slides somewhat beyond that point - but was no longer apparent on ANY regular program material - and now appears to have "completely" vanished, even when viewing slides. (Note that we returned several 2011 panels for uniformity problems, & so are somewhat "sensitized" to them!).

Quick Onset IR was a more concerning problem, as it seemed to kick in (or, at least, we first NOTICED it), at some point shortly beyond 200 hours - that is, following our New Panel Aging Routine.
That may only indicate a change to more "normal" usage, without time spent running slides or Specific Full-Screen programming (in addition to regular programming).
In any event, have Babied the set for a couple of weeks - taking care to avoid "Hard" Logos, or more-than-briefly displayed MENU or GUIDE lettering - and the IR has proven itself to be "IR" (no visible traces remain, on any material tested).
The panel also no longer seems as prone to QUICK Onset IR as it formerly did - although (Frankly....) have been reluctant to give it an Acid Test just yet!

Even if you don't plan to run the break-in (or aging, or conditioning - or WHATEVER term you like) Slides - for 100 hours before otherwise using your panel eek.gif - would still recommend taking All Due Caution for the first couple hundred hours, at least by running slides and/or other Full Screen (No Logos, no tickers, etc) material for several hours each day, during what would otherwise be "down time."

Best of luck....
post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM

You could do what I did. I also was coming from a 50" 720p Pioneer plasma, and I didn't like any of the plasmas I saw in the store, so I picked up a used low-hour Pioneer PRO-151FD in December. It was still under extended warranty, too, until 2014! You should definitely be able to find one for less than $2500 if you are patient.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page