Moving overseas - Keep Kuro or buy new? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll be moving overseas in a few months and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to bring my current Kuro 500m or buy something new, such as a Panasonic plasma. The Kuro is no longer covered under warranty and I think I would need a power converter for it to run at 220 volts. I no longer have the original box and I'm concerned about it making such a long journey across country on a truck and then across the Atlantic. The Kuro is a great tv, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to keep.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0no View Post

I'll be moving overseas in a few months and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to bring my current Kuro 500m or buy something new, such as a Panasonic plasma. The Kuro is no longer covered under warranty and I think I would need a power converter for it to run at 220 volts. I no longer have the original box and I'm concerned about it making such a long journey across country on a truck and then across the Atlantic. The Kuro is a great tv, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to keep.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Even with the original box and packing material there would be a good chance that the TV won't survive the trip across the ocean (considering that so many 500Ms were arriving broken in the box just from the assembly plant in Los Angeles). I also don't know the long-term effects of using a power converter since the TV is designed for a 60hz system and Europe is 50hz. You can get a good price for it here in the USA, then apply that to a shiny new VT50 or GT50 when you arrive in Europe.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Good point. That may be the easiest and best solution. Any idea on what a professionally calibrated 500m could sell for?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0no View Post

Good point. That may be the easiest and best solution. Any idea on what a professionally calibrated 500m could sell for?

Recently (prior to moving) I put my 500m on the market. Depending on the buyer, you are looking at 1500-2200. Ultimately, I decided to keep it and drive it myself to my new home (survived the trip).

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

After following up with a fellow AVS member I was able to confirm that the 500m will work at 220v/50hz, but I'm still debating whether or not to keep the 500m. Is the vt50 the most comparable plasma to the Kuro? I will need to make a final decision in the next week.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I agree, sell it and buy a TV when you're there. Having a localised model means the internal tuner will support the local broadcast system too.

The power supply board inside of the television should have its power system support written on it.

Can your Kuro accept 50Hz video inputs used outside of North America?

If Blu-ray means something to you take your Blu-ray player with you. Europe is region B and many titles have only been released on Region A locked discs.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page