Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Completely disagree and furthermore this type of post just shows you don't own a recent Panasonic TV. Firstly I bought a GT50 and I'm currently staying with family. They have it connected to the cable box which is not HD. I also connect it to an external aerial antenna to get HD channels. When the family watches TV through the cable box my TV was ending up with enormous IR from the 4:3 black bars. I discovered that the TV was set to THX mode which is pointless using a non HD cable box as my family couldn't care less about PQ. THX mode disables the pixel orbiter. I changed the picture mode to Custom and made sure the pixel orbiter was enabled and after 2 days of using the screen wipe mode and watching regular TV to get rid of the IR there has been only been a slight amount of IR using the cable box in 4:3 mode. I simply use the screen wipe mode for less than a minute and that small amount is gone. It does matter using the pixel orbiter and anyone saying that it doesn't or if they say the screen wipe mode doesn't work they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, period.
I will admit up front that I do not own any of the displays being discussed - I still have my 50" Panasonic plasma from around 2004. However, I must admit that I find it difficult to understand how a pixel orbiter could eliminate burn-in. Let's consider the example of a solid white circle being displayed in the middle of a black background. With the pixel orbiter enabled, the image will be subtly moved by a few pixels in every direction. Would this not simply result in the same burn-in, but with a fuzzy edge around the circle instead of a well-defined edge? Which is exactly what "slb" said above, and I agree. Any actual elimination or reduction in burn-in that you see is either a placebo effect, or the result of the differences in picture settings (brightness, contrast, etc.) between THX and Custom modes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1965 View Post

Pixel Orbitor is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Absolutely nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojambo View Post

I will admit up front that I do not own any of the displays being discussed - I still have my 50" Panasonic plasma from around 2004. However, I must admit that I find it difficult to understand how a pixel orbiter could eliminate burn-in. Let's consider the example of a solid white circle being displayed in the middle of a black background. With the pixel orbiter enabled, the image will be subtly moved by a few pixels in every direction. Would this not simply result in the same burn-in, but with a fuzzy edge around the circle instead of a well-defined edge? Which is exactly what "slb" said above, and I agree. Any actual elimination or reduction in burn-in that you see is either a placebo effect, or the result of the differences in picture settings (brightness, contrast, etc.) between THX and Custom modes.

I wouldn't have responded exactly the way I did had you worded your earlier post exactly how you worded the second one that I quoted/highlighted. Your statement was very blanket and that's when I knew you didn't own one of the current Panasonic TV's. Of course the pixel orbiter doesn't "eliminate" IR...and it's not Burn-In....it's Image Retention as there has not been one shred of proof that the current Panasonic's get permanent burn-in, has yours since you've had it since 2004?

Your statistics as well as the other member's that you were basically "plagiarizing" really don't matter. People can debate all day as to why they think it shouldn't work but the fact is the pixel orbiter reduces IR dramatically. It took no more than an hour of watching standard def with the black bars in THX mode to get heavy IR. Now with the pixel orbiter on my family can watch the same content on the cable box with black bars for several hours and only a slight hint of a faint image of the black bars shows up. I just use the wipe function and it's gone in a minute or so.
post #33 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Completely disagree and furthermore this type of post just shows you don't own a recent Panasonic TV. Firstly I bought a GT50 and I'm currently staying with family. They have it connected to the cable box which is not HD. I also connect it to an external aerial antenna to get HD channels. When the family watches TV through the cable box my TV was ending up with enormous IR from the 4:3 black bars. I discovered that the TV was set to THX mode which is pointless using a non HD cable box as my family couldn't care less about PQ. THX mode disables the pixel orbiter. I changed the picture mode to Custom and made sure the pixel orbiter was enabled and after 2 days of using the screen wipe mode and watching regular TV to get rid of the IR there has been only been a slight amount of IR using the cable box in 4:3 mode. I simply use the screen wipe mode for less than a minute and that small amount is gone. It does matter using the pixel orbiter and anyone saying that it doesn't or if they say the screen wipe mode doesn't work they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, period.
After seeing Cnet's test I will however acknowledge that Samsung's panels are definitely better than Panasonic's regarding IR. There should be no reason to age the panels to the make the test fair. If Samsung didn't require 1000 hours of aging and still had zero IR after 8 hours then that shows that it's better at rejecting IR. Still, for me, I prefer the Panny plasmas over the Samsung. That test was not enough to sway me away from my Panasonic.

Screen wipe definitely works in wearing away IR, but the pixel orbiter has nothing to do with minimizing 4:3 bar IR. As has already been said, the feature only shifts the image around by a few pixels. Obviously 4:3 bars are hundreds of thousands of pixels, there's no way they can shift that transparently. My guess is what you observed was weeks or months of abuse with no maintenance (that you corrected with 2 days of wiping) contrasted with you being conscious of and actively maintaining the set with regular wipes. They do include a feature to minimize uneven 4:3 wear, it allows you to choose whether the bars are black or various shades of gray. IR will also vary dramatically with content and period of use. Beyond the obvious of different contrast settings between picture modes, perhaps your THX experiement was done watching brighter content while Custom was darker. I would also expect to see different results (regardless of picture mode) depending on whether the TV was just turned on or had been running for 4 hours straight.
post #34 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Screen wipe definitely works in wearing away IR, but the pixel orbiter has nothing to do with minimizing 4:3 bar IR. As has already been said, the feature only shifts the image around by a few pixels. Obviously 4:3 bars are hundreds of thousands of pixels, there's no way they can shift that transparently. My guess is what you observed was weeks or months of abuse with no maintenance (that you corrected with 2 days of wiping) contrasted with you being conscious of and actively maintaining the set with regular wipes. They do include a feature to minimize uneven 4:3 wear, it allows you to choose whether the bars are black or various shades of gray. IR will also vary dramatically with content and period of use. Beyond the obvious of different contrast settings between picture modes, perhaps your THX experiement was done watching brighter content while Custom was darker. I would also expect to see different results (regardless of picture mode) depending on whether the TV was just turned on or had been running for 4 hours straight.

You're right, it's just your guess and that's all it is but you're far off.
post #35 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
THX mode disables the pixel orbiter. I changed the picture mode to Custom and made sure the pixel orbiter was enabled and.... there has been only been a slight amount of IR using the cable box in 4:3 mode.
Quote:
. Let's consider the example of a solid white circle being displayed in the middle of a black background. With the pixel orbiter enabled, the image will be subtly moved by a few pixels in every direction. Would this not simply result in the same burn-in, but with a fuzzy edge around the circle instead of a well-defined edge?

This is an interesting debate - particularly as our 60ST50 seemed very prone to Quick Onset IR for the first 350 - 400 (or so...) hours of its life.

On one hand, have read several posts in recent weeks claiming that the Pixel Orbiter is simply a Placebo Device - and from people whose opinion I would generally tend to regard as worth listening to; but, OTOH, it is hard to argue against someone's Direct Observation of what happens to their own panel.

Suppose IF one were Brave Enough, an Experiment could be devised: with Pixel Orbiter OFF, place a static image in the lower right quadrant of the screen - for some sufficient time period - and see what IR results.
Than turn the Orbiter ON, place the same static image in the lower left quadrant, let it remain there for the same time period, and see whether or not there is a discernible difference in the IR....

Any Volunteers?? biggrin.gif
post #36 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
HLdan, I don't believe your anecdotal evidence to the contrary puts you in a position to so aggressively defend pixel orbiters.

But I'm interesed to know, what do you see as special about your pixel orbiter? How has this function been improved by Panasonic? I ask because there are countless reports about how ineffective they are all over AVS.

How many hours did you have on the panel before and after enabling it? Ah, but you can't control for this, so this is an uncontrolled experiment.
Speaking of which, did you control for things like contrast ratio and peak luminance when you switched modes? These factors will affect the severity of IR.

Anyway, certainly seems it may be doing something for you and that's fine, but why dont you try switching back to THX mode for a few weeks and let us know how it goes?
post #37 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

You're right, it's just your guess and that's all it is but you're far off.

Then how do you explain why the orbiter prevented IR in screen locations where it doesn't even orbit the image into? The orbiter simply softens the IR edge, which makes it far more difficult to see. When the IR edge caused by viewing 2.35:1 content on a 16:9 display is a perfect straight edge, it it much easier to notice.
post #38 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This is a dead horse at this point. If someone is having IR issues, enable the orbiter and see if it helps. If you don't think it does then don't use it. Way too many opinions with no facts.
post #39 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

This is a dead horse at this point. If someone is having IR issues, enable the orbiter and see if it helps. If you don't think it does then don't use it. Way too many opinions with no facts.

It is a pretty solid fact the orbiter does not shift the image fully into the black bar area when watching cinema formatted content on a 16:9 display.
post #40 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

It is a pretty solid fact the orbiter does not shift the image fully into the black bar area when watching cinema formatted content on a 16:9 display.

This is correct. The Pixel Orbiter only shifts the offending logo a few pixels up/down/sideways which only serves to soften the edges of the logo's after-image. It does nothing to prevent that logo from causing IR if it's left up on the screen long enough.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #41 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

This is a dead horse at this point.

More like a broken record!

recordplayer.gif

biggrin.gif

It's simple, leave it on. It can't hurt. Watching plenty of full screen content as well is the best advise I can give. If you do come across some stubborn IR there's a thread on this forum with tons of advise on how to help remove it.

Cheers2.gif
Cheers!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #42 of 42 Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
I agreed with Randy on the P.O.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version