UT50 Problem. Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Something strange happened. I was watching TV and all of a sudden the top third of the screen is covered in green lines and the rest of the screen is black. About 15 seconds later the screen goes dead and won't turn off via the remote. After unplugging the TV and plugging it back in and turning it on via the remote, nothing. So at this point, yeah...freaking out a bit. biggrin.gif Called the Concierge service and they instructed me to unplug the TV from the power surge and plug it directly into the wall. After doing that and turning on the TV, it comes back on. Unplugged it from the wall and back into the surge protector and it works. Plugged in all of the cables and everything is working fine it seems. But the customer service rep. couldn't give me an answer as to what the problem was, but if it persists to call and they will have a tech. come out. But I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen to their UT50 or would know what it could be? My guess is maybe it's a power supply issue? Could it be the surge protector? I'm not sure if it's the surge protector since I was watching a BD at the time and my receiver and BD player were unaffected. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's happened twice this morning. The first time the screen just went dead for a few seconds and came back and the second time the screen went nuts with assorted vertical color lines over the whole screen. After unplugging it from the surge protector and into the wall, it's working fine again...for now. WIll call the Concierge Service when they open in a few hours, but this is so unusual. Any ideas on what it could be?
post #3 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I would leave it directly plugged into the wall without the surge protector and turn off any instance of viera connect and see what happens.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After being plugged into the wall for about 20 minutes, it happened again, this time it was horitzontal lines of many colors and it made a loud buzzing sound. I just unplugged it. None of the Viera Connect features are on.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sounds like it might be some marginal component(s) that cause the problem when it warms up after some time?
Is your local weather hotter recently?
Definitely have them send a tech to check it out if you can repeat the problem like that, they probably need to swap out some component/board.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The electric was off for an extended period of time because of storms a couple of weeks ago. The temperature in the room was probably around 80 degrees, but nothing excessive since it's in a basement with no sunlight. It was hot last week, near 100 for over a week straight, but this week has been much cooler. The electric has been on all week and the TV has worked fine until yesterday.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They're sending a tech. out next week. Pretty good customer service, I have to say.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked: 10
Wow that sucks man. Just praying that this doesn't happen to my 42UT50. Best of luck to you, though.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. Same to you. It's probably just a board or something, I hope. Maybe I'll luck out and they'll have to replace the whole set with a new one. biggrin.gif Doubtful.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 10
Good luck and give us an update when you have one!
post #11 of 14 Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the repair/service store called yesterday to get some more info and they seemed to know right away what the issue was and went ahead and ordered the part. I asked if it was a power supply issue and they pretty much confirmed that. Hopefully they received the part quickly and it gets fixed in a few days.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Talked to the repair company today (who were great btw) and they said that the part was actually an entirely new panel since apparently the board that is broken can't be replaced by itself and the entire panel has to be replaced. Hopefully I'll have it all fixed next week. *Fingers crossed*
post #13 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After much hassle and the techs being unable to repair the UT50 here at my home or at the shop, I'm getting a brand new UT50 courtesy of Panasonic.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally received the new UT50. Looks amazing. No uniformity issues as I had on the previous set. Hope it lasts. *fingers crossed*
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page