Thinking of switching TVs Have a Sony 60A3000 SXRD to the Panasonic 65ST30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont really want to go down in size on my TV. I have the option of getting a pretty great deal on a 65ST30 though and I am wondering what yall think about the switch? Will I be happy moving to plasma over the rear projection? I have always loved my Sony's picture.

I use it first for TV Shows streamed from the HTPC always high def if available. Then movies slightly often and then gaming less often then those two. Although gaming is important to me still.... People in the house use it for that often.

What do yall think? Pro's and Con's for switching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-22-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
IMO, the 2012 Panny plasmas have the best PQ of any 2012 display. And you're going bigger. So, IMO you'll be very happy. I would just be careful with fixed logos/gaming for the first 100 hours (you may want to use break-in slides for the 1st 100 hours). Is your viewing room reasonably light controlled, or is direct sunlight on the screen?
post #3 of 17 Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 AM

Liked: 14
I tend to go with the old saying, "if ain't broke, leave it alone". But in some cases especially in the world of electronics....pc, phone, TV, receivers, DVD/BR Players you do need to upgrade at some point. Pulling up the specs of the Sony it appears you have a pretty good set. Has plenty of good features most notably HDMI connections. Granted the set is what...4-5 years old...it still seems to have some life in it. If this were one of those big bulky rear projections like we hardware parts would be expensive and hard to find, no HDMI connections, too big for the space, no 1080P and PQ was showing signs of aging then yea...upgrade.

But unless you're re-arranging the space, want something to wall mount, someone is buying your set or the set is having issues I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong...I love Plasmas. In our case the 2.5 yr old LCD Sony 52" Z-series broke and we had to get a new TV.Will a plasma have a better picture...matter of personal opinion but it's safe to say yes. Worth $1500.00 or so....that's another question with all sorts of answers. Basically what your gut tells you along with your wallet & wife (if you have one) says as well.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomboX View Post

I dont really want to go down in size on my TV. I have the option of getting a pretty great deal on a 65ST30.....

We saw - and had - a lot of problems with the 2011 Panasonics; unless someone is essentially giving the ST30 away, would argue in favor of keeping your current set for a bit longer.

The 2012 Panasonics provide a worthwhile upgrade over the 2011 models, and pricing (usually) becomes more attractive later in the year.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 38
I didn't realize you meant the ST30 (last year's model). I assumed you meant the ST50 (the 2012 model). That's what I get for reading your post too quickly. Yes, they are giving great deals on the ST30. But IMO you'd be much better off with the ST50.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Go for it biggrin.gif the sxrds are a ticking time bomb, it's not if it will turn green, it's when it will turn green.
What issues were there with the 2011 panasonics ?
post #7 of 17 Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I dont really want to go down in size on my TV. I have the option of getting a pretty great deal on a 65ST30 though and I am wondering what yall think about the switch? Will I be happy moving to plasma over the rear projection? I have always loved my Sony's picture.
I use it first for TV Shows streamed from the HTPC always high def if available. Then movies slightly often and then gaming less often then those two. Although gaming is important to me still.... People in the house use it for that often.

I had the exact same TV (60A3000) and loved it; I really wasn't that pressed to sell it, but a buddy of mine wanted it, so I sold it to him; I then purchased the 65ST30 (around September of last year). I always knew plasma was better, but damn! It blows the Sony away IMO, even the wife noticed how much better it looked; I am very impressed by this tv and I was lucky to get a set that had none of the issues that I hear people have with this TV. I have heard the ST50 is a better set overall, but I would only get the ST50 if 1) the price difference is within $500, and 2) you don't have controlled lighting in your viewing area. The ST30 doesn't have the ST50's AR filter and is not a great daytime viewing set. That is the only problem I have with my TV. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price can you get the ST30 for?
post #8 of 17 Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have an even older 60" Sony rear projection (model escapes me but it came out in 2005 and was LCD rear projection) that I kept in my daughter's room. It originally started out in my living room and I replaced it with a 65" Panasonic plasma back in 2008. The change was night and day. Plus, living in Hawaii, I had way too much sunlight to even watch the Sony. I recently replaced it again with a small Panasonic LCD (needed a tv that I could wall mount and move up and down vertically 3+ feet). I moved it into another bedroom and it still works fine. If I didn't have to have a wall mounted tv, honestly it would still be in my daughter's room. Yes, it's slow to turn on, the light engine is bound to fail again (had it replaced under warranty 4 years ago), doesn't work well in lighted areas, the front frame is starting to partly separate, and isn't even 1080p (it's 788p),but it still does it's job at providing an HD signal. If someone local was willing to pick it up and buy it, I'd probably get rid of it. As a living room tv, I would probably replace it at this point because almost any plasma set you'll buy today will be a night and day difference in PQ. But if it's not a primary tv, I'd leave it alone until it just dies or someone really pushes to buy it from you.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:

You would be very happy with an ST30 imo, yes the 2012's are better but the ST30 is not a big piece of crap like some here like to mantain. I have the 55 inch version and have no complaints at all. Yes there were quality issues just like there are every model year. If you can swing an St50 though they rock.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #10 of 17 Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
If you're buying the ST30 new from a place like Amazon then it's likely one of the last prod. runs and the couple bug-a-boos some of last year's sets had were taken care of. They are very good TV's.

On the other hand the ST50's are a significant upgrade in pq. CNET has rated the ST50 as the best TV of the year for it's $-value/pq ratio.

I just looked at Amazon - the difference in price between the 65" ST30 and ST50 is only $420. For that price difference I would get the ST50.

(Every week or so the 65ST50 goes down to $2099 on Amazon and it's that price today.)

And of course waiting is always an options when buying electronics ; )
post #11 of 17 Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the exact same TV (60A3000) and I love it. I agree that I would not go any smaller. If/when the tv goes out I'd either go for a panny plasma or projector. Good luck on your upcoming purchase.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks yall tons of feedback on this. My Sony is still trucking along great right now I have had for a bit over 5 years and replaced the blub like 6 months ago. The 65ST30 I am thinking about getting would cost me 850 bucks. I work at a retail store so I have some access to decent prices when things get out of date.

The one I am looking at was new but I have heard of the woes with the 2011 panny's so I had our repair guys order a new board/ power board that panasonic released that was suppose to fix those problems to make it easier for me to sell and/or so its good to go if I buy it.

So IDK that is really close to the "giving it away" price in my opinion which is why I am heavily considering it.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Compared to the 65ST30 how much better is the 65VT30? Its a bit more then I wanted to spend but there is one available atm.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Compared to the 65ST30 how much better is the 65VT30? Its a bit more then I wanted to spend but there is one available atm.

There are differences but many will say that..."if both TVs are calibrated and adjusted one would have a hard time telling them apart". The big thing with the VT series is it's "pro-menu" wher you can do some serious fine tuning. It does have a few other plus sides as well. Now if you were talking about the newer ST50 vs the VT30 that may be another thing.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ya it sounds like the newer 50's are really nice. But they are not nearly as cheap as the 30's are right now of course. Ive been wanting to get a plasma for quite a while now though. What disc/software/method do yall use to calibrate and tune? Or should I just look up what some one else has set theres to and go with it?
post #16 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

bump for that last question.

The Tv just got back in from the shop so now I have to make the final decision to either buy or sell it to someone else lol.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Ya it sounds like the newer 50's are really nice. But they are not nearly as cheap as the 30's are right now of course.

Cnet's review of the ST50 stated that overall PQ on the ST50 exceeded that of the VT30....

Unless you want the extra bells & whistles of the VT, the 50 is arguably a better buy.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page