TV upgrade plan has taken an ugly turn please help.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had ordered a 65GT50 from a local dealer and the set has been backordered for weeks already, and looks like I might have another month to wait. I was told by panasonic canada that they are receiving a shipment at the end of the month but if I wasn't on the list to receive one of these it would be end of Aug. I will not wait that long as i've already waited 3.5 weeks so I may have to look at another option. I would like to stick to plasma as i'm an avid gamer so i'm not quite sure which options I have available, or comparable. I can get Panny, Samsung, LG, or Sony locally and was already told by my dealer that the 64E8000 wasn't available to her, but will be checking on that again. There is a local shop selling a 64D8000 on markdown and am wondering if I would be taking a big step down going with a 2011 model?

I appreciate the time taken to read this and look forward to any advice....thanks and have a great day smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If I were in your situation I would wait for at least a 2012 to become available, no matter how long that took. 2011 Samsung and Panny's were a mess with floating blacks and fluctuating brights (and it seems increased stubborn IR on the VT30). I needed to replace a tv last year and waited the whole year to buy a 2012. I think the value of my money is worth waiting for a tv that performs better than last year's tvs did. And it really was worth the wait.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

I had ordered a 65GT50 from a local dealer and the set has been backordered for weeks already, and looks like I might have another month to wait. I was told by panasonic canada that they are receiving a shipment at the end of the month but if I wasn't on the list to receive one of these it would be end of Aug. I will not wait that long as i've already waited 3.5 weeks so I may have to look at another option. I would like to stick to plasma as i'm an avid gamer so i'm not quite sure which options I have available, or comparable. I can get Panny, Samsung, LG, or Sony locally and was already told by my dealer that the 64E8000 wasn't available to her, but will be checking on that again. There is a local shop selling a 64D8000 on markdown and am wondering if I would be taking a big step down going with a 2011 model?
I appreciate the time taken to read this and look forward to any advice....thanks and have a great day smile.gif

I think the 64D8000 was a fine set, as far as the 2011 panny's go, floating blacks was a 2010 and prior issue corrected in 2011 and fluctuating brights was fixed by a firmware update. The 2012s are clearly a step up but the 2011 sets get a bad rap imo. If you can save some bucks on a D8000 it might be a worthwhile option.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After another call with Panasonic this morning I found out they are getting an ST/GT shipment on Friday which will fill half the backorders, and another mid aug. She told me all the backorders should be filled by sept. but I am not waiting that long. I actually wouldn't be saving any money on the D8000 as I'm getting a super deal on the GT50. I should know by Monday if mine is included with the first shipment so my fingers and toes are crossed.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

After another call with Panasonic this morning I found out they are getting an ST/GT shipment on Friday which will fill half the backorders, and another mid aug. She told me all the backorders should be filled by sept. but I am not waiting that long. I actually wouldn't be saving any money on the D8000 as I'm getting a super deal on the GT50. I should know by Monday if mine is included with the first shipment so my fingers and toes are crossed.

If you can hold out for the GT50 that is probably your best bet smile.gif

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ya that's what I'm thinking especially since my other options are very limited. Lol just really hard when I got all my new equipment ready to go and no tv to use it with smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page