Samsung 51E7000 vs Panasonic 50St50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I havent followed up onthis years models, can someone give me a brief overview? I am eyeing these 2 models

I care about PQ only. What are each's pros and cons? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey76 View Post

I havent followed up onthis years models, can someone give me a brief overview? I am eyeing these 2 models. I care about PQ only. What are each's pros and cons? Thanks

There are existing threads for those two models that already been discussed and contain all the pros and cons of each TV. I suggest reading up on them and forming your own opinions. Don't expect us to spoon-feed you if you're too lazy to do your own research.

And since you only care about PQ, make sure you have your display ISF Calibrated by a pro.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

There are existing threads for those two models that already been discussed and contain all the pros and cons of each TV. I suggest reading up on them and forming your own opinions. Don't expect us to spoon-feed you if you're too lazy to do your own research.
And since you only care about PQ, make sure you have your display ISF Calibrated by a pro.

1) Sorry I have a life and dont feel like reading 5000 posts to gets the pros and cons.

2) I will get a calibration disc for the best PQ
post #4 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

I havent followed up onthis years models, can someone give me a brief overview? I am eyeing these 2 models
I care about PQ only. What are each's pros and cons? Thanks
I have had a chance to try both sets, I currently own the 55ST50 after exchanging out a 50UT50. I am blown away by this years Panasonic line-up of plasma displays. The black level performance is some of the best I have seen on a mid range display, besting last years flagship while offering better whites and bright room performance than it 2011 counterpart the ST30. I owned the ST30 last year and love the overall picture, but it always felt dim even after calibration no matter the environment. The Samsung 51E7000 offers a better internet suite and 3D is a bit better than the Panasonic display. It's cinema smooth feature offers great 24p film playback for smooth panning images and great overall film performance. If you game at all most seem to lean toward the Sammy for less input lag issues, but even running a simple calibration on the Panasonic I notice very little lag even in Custom mode. Black level performance I feel is slightly behind the Panasonic, but with a dark theater environment you do worse with either set. If you are tweak geek and like messing with ton of setting the Sammy is for you. The ST50 has a larger number of setting than the UT50 and it's entry level brethren, but lacks the THX calibration suit of the GT/VT50. As suggested though a professional calibration would close the gap considerably on the ST50 making it one of the best values on the market. Both tv's are on sale currently and offer bundles of some sort like sound bars, 3D blu ray players, etc...just check at some major retailers. I hope that helped some? I know it's not a pro review, but I want you to feel welcome in our community.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I have had a chance to try both sets, I currently own the 55ST50 after exchanging out a 50UT50. I am blown away by this years Panasonic line-up of plasma displays. The black level performance is some of the best I have seen on a mid range display, besting last years flagship while offering better whites and bright room performance than it 2011 counterpart the ST30. I owned the ST30 last year and love the overall picture, but it always felt dim even after calibration no matter the environment. The Samsung 51E7000 offers a better internet suite and 3D is a bit better than the Panasonic display. It's cinema smooth feature offers great 24p film playback for smooth panning images and great overall film performance. If you game at all most seem to lean toward the Sammy for less input lag issues, but even running a simple calibration on the Panasonic I notice very little lag even in Custom mode. Black level performance I feel is slightly behind the Panasonic, but with a dark theater environment you do worse with either set. If you are tweak geek and like messing with ton of setting the Sammy is for you. The ST50 has a larger number of setting than the UT50 and it's entry level brethren, but lacks the THX calibration suit of the GT/VT50. As suggested though a professional calibration would close the gap considerably on the ST50 making it one of the best values on the market. Both tv's are on sale currently and offer bundles of some sort like sound bars, 3D blu ray players, etc...just check at some major retailers. I hope that helped some? I know it's not a pro review, but I want you to feel welcome in our community.

Thank you very much sir that is very helpful. Seems I should be leaning towards the Panasonic with what you listed. thanks! smile.gif

Edit: did you use a calibration disc or pro calibration?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

1) Sorry I have a life and dont feel like reading 5000 posts to gets the pros and cons.

You don't have to read 5,000 posts, just do a little searching and scan the ST50 and E7000 threads. We have lives too, but most of us have donated lots of time to those threads to help people make informed decisions and it's all there for the reading. That's what the threads are for, otherwise this forum would be full of "tell me which TV i should buy" threads.

A calibration disc will not give you the best PQ unless you have thousands of dollars worth of calibration equipment and experience at using it.

Quote:

If you're just going to adjust your TV using a disc, get the Samsung as it has more picture adjustment controls.
sheshechic likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Thank you 2x Randy.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Thank you very much sir that is very helpful. Seems I should be leaning towards the Panasonic with what you listed. thanks! smile.gif
Edit: did you use a calibration disc or pro calibration?
Still breaking in, but so far minor tweaks with the Disney WOW blu-ray. You can find it online and in a Nebraska furniture mart if you are in the states. It won't replace a pro calibration, but should offer a decent start.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Still breaking in, but so far minor tweaks with the Disney WOW blu-ray. You can find it online and in a Nebraska furniture mart if you are in the states. It won't replace a pro calibration, but should offer a decent start.

Did Disney WOW make a big improvement vs OOTB settings for you?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-27-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

You don't have to read 5,000 posts, just do a little searching and scan the ST50 and E7000 threads. We have lives too, but most of us have donated lots of time to those threads to help people make informed decisions and it's all there for the reading. That's what the threads are for, otherwise this forum would be full of "tell me which TV i should buy" threads.

Understandable. but I dont see any threads already comparing these 2 models.
Quote:

A calibration disc will not give you the best PQ unless you have thousands of dollars worth of calibration equipment and experience at using it.
If you're just going to adjust your TV using a disc, get the Samsung as it has more picture adjustment controls.

I still don't agree with this. My calibrator barely make a difference compared to my calibration disc. $250 of my money gone.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

I suggest you use the search engine first before starting a new thread topic. Part of being a "good" member, who "contributes" to the AVS community is to read what's been written first before posting. Members have taken the time out of their day to write comments and provide feedback on these sets. What does it say when someone feels they should be "spoon fed" information because they can't be bothered to read what's already been written? Please remember you are visiting a site that's focus is a hobby based on leisure time...when someone says they don't have time (can't be bothered) to read existing threads, it's an ironic position to take.

Ron Boster
David_B and arabprince like this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page