post #31 of 33 Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinegts85 View Post

It's not that I'm not familiar with plasmas, it's just that I can see how terrible the resolution was on that TV. Even on 720p broadcasts on this new 50", it still looks WAY better up closer than the samsung 43" did.

Where were you viewing these two sets? Was the source the same? Were they calibrated properly? I've seen my Panny in stores on display and even after making picture adjustments I could never get it to look any where near as good as the one in my den which is hooked up to a DTV DVR and a top end BD player, all of which by the way are tuned properly. I'm not saying that the Sammy is going to give you the same PQ as the 50'' Panny, which is a more expensive set with a better panel, but with both sets properly calibrated using a good signal source, under the right lighting conditions the differences would probably be less startling.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lurking on this and other sites trying to to figure out if this display will work properly with a HDMI connection to a HTPC. After going through this and other threads I still can't figure out if I "should avoid non-square pixels", won't be able to tell the difference from 1080, or I just need to do some tweaking to get it to work.

Most of the features of this TV really appeal to me but I am afraid to go for it because of the fear that I am going to get some kind of stretchy or warped image. Any input on avoiding this unit for use with a HTPC or info to allay my fears will be appreciated.
post #33 of 33 Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using this TV in my living room as an HTPC monitor for some time now and I am very happy with the results. I have a 4 year old Dell with a Core 2 Duo processor and 4 gigs of RAM. I added a NVIDIA GeForce GT430 video card with HDMI out to the Pioneer AV receiver with HDMI in/out to the Samsung TV. Since I am using the TV with an HTPC, you will have to re-set the display to "Medium - 125%" for the "10 foot user interface" look on Windows. This will make your desktop icons easier to see and not look so grainy, plus you can surf the net from your couch without straining your eyes. For viewing all of my local movies, photos and music I use XBMC which is the best HTPC software available for viewing all of your content. I store all my content on a NAS connected to my wired network. And, I have a Logitech camera mounted on the top of the TV for Skype. Since this TV is not Full HD, sitting 10 feet across from the screen with the above configuration will give you the best results. However, if you sit right in front of the screen and use it as a computer monitor, the icons will look grainy.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page