Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1445 Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by agkss View Post

Yeah i call them Samdung too, i returned a 51 D550 for brightness pops...At least with my refund and more cash i bought my 60" GT50. smile.gif I don't understand why don't you get in US a 3D Combo like in my country...(4 pair glasses, Avatar 3D or Transformers and BDT220).
They want us to work for it. smile.gif 3D hasn't even been on my radar, but that could change if I have a TV with the feature (already have a Blu-ray player with it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1445 Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

I'd guess that the majority of owners will have it on the wall anyway.

You'd guess wrong then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Flashy? The all metal stand, as opposed to our (I own a GT50, just to clarify in case people mistake me for a rampant fanboy) Panasonic chintzy, plastic-covered metal, graduated colour, stand I find very attractive. Our tastes may vary but it is quite minimalist.

The new stand is not minimalist, sadly. It is -- I believe -- higher off the table than the VT50 too. Good if you want to drop a center-channel in front, bad if you want to not see the stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

It is an unnecessary adornment that takes attention away from the picture. It is the very antithesis of minimalism.

Yep, quite shiny. Mostly hidden, but not enough so.

Also, ZT gets the full silver frame and VT loses half of it now.

The Panny guy at HDJ is going to hate me for this but, they have succeeded in making their sets not ugly, except in all the detail work they choose for beauty, which remains ugly.

Copying Samsung here is just the opposite of what you want to be doing. Especially because Samsung is better at it.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #453 of 1445 Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
After looking at videos and pictures of the ZT60, it's still not 1 single piece of panel. The edge stil has that cheap looking metal part sticking to the back side of it..

Unbelievable..
post #454 of 1445 Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Its all about the picture quality. The wives care about looks and the guys want the Picture quality.
post #455 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 AM

Liked: 10
How do they make the massive 150 inch sets? Do they have a dedicated production lines for 85, 103 and 150?
post #456 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock99 View Post

How do they make the massive 150 inch sets? Do they have a dedicated production lines for 85, 103 and 150?

Yes and no. Production lines are built around their ability to produce a specific size of mother glass. The larger sets are simply "full" sheets of glass that have not been cut into smaller panels. Panasonic has the capability to create a 70" or 80" panel, just not without wasting a significant portion of the glass. They wouldn't be able to produce those sizes at anywhere near the prices required to move them at retail.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #457 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Panasonic Closes Plasma TV Plant in China
Quote:
Panasonic Corp. is shutting down a plasma television assembly plant in Shanghai, the latest indication of how the Japanese consumer electronics maker's big bet on the technology hasn't paid off.

The closure of the Japanese electronics giant's sole dedicated plasma TV factory in China is part of its broader restructuring, and comes at a time when demand for plasma TVs is declining. Liquid-crystal-display TVs dominate the market, and most Panasonic TV sets now come with LCD screens.

The Shanghai plasma-TV plant has stopped operations, and Panasonic's majority-owned Chinese joint venture that runs the factory will be liquidated.
Quote:
The decision to close the Shanghai plasma TV factory doesn't mean the company is walking away from plasma technology, a Panasonic spokeswoman said. The company still sees demand for plasma panels, particularly for nonconsumer purposes such as large public displays and digital signage, she said.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #458 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

A real shame if plasma goes away. I can't stand LED... it so artificial looking. I really don't understand everybody's fascination with it.
post #459 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post

A real shame if plasma goes away. I can't stand LED... it so artificial looking. I really don't understand everybody's fascination with it.

When it first came out, it was crazy bright compared to plasma. People are attracted to shiny things. I have never seen an LED that I've actually wanted, save for the Elite. But even that had something about the picture that just didn't quite look right.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #460 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm glad that Panasonic release the non-3D S60 series. There are folks like me who just love a bigger 2D picture and prefer not to waste the cash on 3D when buying a new TV.
post #461 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

I think people are reading to much between the lines here. Clearly OLED will take over from plasma and eventually everyone will will make the switch. It only makes sense that they would close some of their factories as plasma production winds down. Does the article mention how many plasma lines they still have in operation? I suspect that they still have substantial production capacity. Also, I don't think they would release a new series of plasma one year before they shut down that capability. OLED will be at ZT60 price points within 2-3 years though, so I would expect more significant changes at that time.

post #462 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I'm glad that Panasonic release the non-3D S60 series. There are folks like me who just love a bigger 2D picture and prefer not to waste the cash on 3D when buying a new TV.

Has anyone confirmed that the S60 series will give you exactly what the ST50/ST60 does as it relates to PQ, filters and blackness levels?
post #463 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

I think people are reading to much between the lines here. Clearly OLED will take over from plasma and eventually everyone will will make the switch. It only makes sense that they would close some of their factories as plasma production winds down. Does the article mention how many plasma lines they still have in operation?

Reportedly plasma panels are only made now at one factory in Amagasaki, Japan. Another factory there was closed in late 2011 and one of its lines shifted to China (which in all likelihood is the one closed now).
Quote:
I suspect that they still have substantial production capacity.

At any rate, more than enough for the current demand of plasma screens. wink.gif

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #464 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

The average joe doesn't obsess over PQ and loves the thinness and bright screens. And to be fair, the bright screens really do make things like games and sports pop. So if one isn't really watching many movies, they can be a better option.

I love my new plasma, other than the slight buzz and having to worry a tad about IR. But I've not noticed any yet even in the early stages after 2-3 hours of ESPN or video games (not even noticeable when running the slides right after), so I think I'm good on the IR front. But it will still be nice when there's OLED or some other tech at affordable prices that matches or comes close on PQ, black levels etc. with no buzz, truly no risk of IR etc. to have the best of both worlds all in one set.

Hopefully this plasma will last me until such a TV is out at a reasonable price!
post #465 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

truly no risk of IR etc. to have the best of both worlds all in one set.

Hopefully this plasma will last me until such a TV is out at a reasonable price!

I don't obsess over ir/burn in, BUT oled is a lot more suspect to it than plasma. It should be interesting to see how bad.
post #466 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I think you meant to write, "susceptible" not "suspect". wink.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #467 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't obsess over ir/burn in, BUT oled is a lot more suspect to it than plasma. It should be interesting to see how bad.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I don't obsess over IR, but I do worry some as I watch a lot of ESPN and play a decent amount of games (and occasional long stretches). But so far I'm noticing no issues, and I do vary content as I watch different channels and a good bit of Bluray and streaming, so I should be fine.

But I would rather eventually have a totally buzz free set with truly no worries about IR that can match or exceed plasma PQ and black levels, be it OLED, improvements to LCD or some new technology years down the line.
post #468 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's the vivid hyper-reality. Seems more high definition-like to people and therefore, more appealing.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #469 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
^^^^^

In addition most people sit in front of LCD monitors all day at work...it's what they're used it, I think. Or they're used to iPads.
post #470 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Also could be part of the appeal, yes.

post #471 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Just a matter of different people have different views on what looks good to them.

Hell, even I am not really a videophile like most on here. I've never spent more than $1000 on a TV (just got the 55" UT50 for $850), would never pay for calibration etc. I only went plasma this time as I just couldn't find any well reviewed LED/LCD sets for under $1,000. I started thinking of upgrading when saying an $850 deal for a 55" Panny LED. But it wasn't 3D and reviews were pretty bad on it, so I ended up going with the plasma when I found that sale since it was reviewed as one of the best TVs in that price range and has 3D.

I like the better blacks etc. on the plasma for sure. But I'd have passed on them for no IR worries or buzz if there was a well reviewed 55" LED set the same price. But they just aren't there yet price wise, so the plasma was the best option in my budget right now. I'll reassess down the road when an upgrade is needed--and that will be a while unless this one dies.
post #472 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM

^Heresy in this here forum. wink.gif

My last LCD TV was a Samdung from 2007. When I upgraded to Plasma the following year, I never looked back.
agkss likes this.
post #473 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

My last LCD TV was a Samdung from 2007. When I upgraded to Plasma the following year, I never looked back.

Same here.

My last LCD was an ISF calibrated Sony KDL-46XBR2 which looked great until a Kuro replaced it and I've been spoiled ever since.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #474 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm a heretic for this site in general. biggrin.gif

Also not an audiophile--have the Denon 1312 I got for $150, Energy Take 5 Classic speakers (also $150) and a crappy old Sony sub from a cheap HTiB set up I got like 12 years ago. biggrin.gif

I just like TV/Movie/Games and care about PQ slightly more than the average Joe. Audio stuff I really don't care much about at all other than wanting 5.1 sound. biggrin.gif
post #475 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Same here.

My last LCD was an ISF calibrated Sony KDL-46XBR2 which looked great until a Kuro replaced it and I've been spoiled ever since.

I also owned the KDL-46XBR2 and went through 2 Kuros after that. Nothing quite like it. I would still have the Kuros but wanted a bigger screen. Now I'm using a JVC RS45 projector. The black level is slightly deeper than even the Kuros. Really curious if the ZT60 will best the Kuro though wink.gif Might be my next display purchase.
post #476 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM

^Nice on the JVC especially those ubiquitous better BLs!
post #477 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I think you meant to write, "susceptible" not "suspect". wink.gif

Haha, damn auto correct on my smartphone. Not so smart....is it?
post #478 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

^Nice on the JVC especially those ubiquitous better BLs!

Yep, I sold a 2008 Kuro and was able to buy a new JVC RS45 with the same cash. Didn't have to spend a dollar more wink.gif
post #479 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Liked: 10
As far as I can tell based on the specs and articles being shared, the only upgrades to the Panasonic Viera TC-P50ST60 (Panasonic TC-P50ST60) appear to be to the Viera Connect software and not to the hardware itself. First off, can someone confirm that this is in fact true? Secondly, if it is true, is there any reason for someone primarily concerned with picture quality over "smart" functionality to sit tight and wait until March to spend an additional $300 on the ST60 instead of just getting the ST50 this week? Would appreciate the incite!
post #480 of 1445 Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghellz View Post

As far as I can tell based on the specs and articles being shared, the only upgrades to the Panasonic Viera TC-P50ST60 (Panasonic TC-P50ST60) appear to be to the Viera Connect software and not to the hardware itself. First off, can someone confirm that this is in fact true? Secondly, if it is true, is there any reason for someone primarily concerned with picture quality over "smart" functionality to sit tight and wait until March to spend an additional $300 on the ST60 instead of just getting the ST50 this week? Would appreciate the incite!

I don't think anyone can "confirm" at this point. Nor would Pana make that info public if it were true.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page