AVS Forum banner
215K views 1K replies 253 participants last post by  dsmith901 
#1 ·
Better black levels?

#503 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/480#post_22817130

Panasonic seems to have a year on and year off approach when it comes to picture improvements. Chances are, next year will bring more picture quality improvements across the entire lineup. With that said, I'm curious to find out if there is in fact any difference between the ST60 and last years model.

I think I heard something about an active shutter filter.

I don't think this year's ST would justify an upgrade over last year's model, nor the price tag.

I am curious about the ZT which is what will draw me to this year's shootout, that and hoping that David will return this year.

#504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/480#post_22831024

Wake up and smell the coffee! Samsung and LG drastically cutting back plasma models only means one thing! Plasma won't be here very much longer.

The trick will be to buy the last great best ones before we have to face the horror story of complete LCD domination!

Interesting, all this talk about Panasonic, Samsung and LG leaving the Plasma business soon. I mentioned this a few weeks back and got slammed dunked here of people telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I misunderstood what the person meant when they said it.

#506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/480#post_22833534

Panasonic sure went through a lot of trouble in introducing a new flagship model if they're set to exit Plasma at any moment now. Their financial situation would obviously be the only cause of them abandoning it completely.
That and the fact both Samsung and LG introduced new models.

#509 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/480#post_22833534

Panasonic sure went through a lot of trouble in introducing a new flagship model if they're set to exit Plasma at any moment now. Their financial situation would obviously be the only cause of them abandoning it completely.

Agreed. Panasonic has shown more commitment to Plasma than the other two companies for 2013 with five models being announced - one less model than their 2012 lineup had. Samsung on the other hand has slashed their lineup from over 5 models to only two (entry level 720p and one expensive flagship), and i understand LG has reduced their 2013 lineup to only two models as well.

Samsung and LG are very heavily invested in LED technology so it's not surprising that they'd move more eggs into their LED baskets. But Panasonic is much more vested in PDP and not so much in LED and i actually think they'll see an increase in PDP sales now with the competition not having much to offer this year. Panasonic really has no reason to abandon Plasma yet since they're comparatively cheap to make, they still have the best overall picture quality, they sell for much less than even the most inferior LED sets, and OLED won't be a viable or financial alternative for at least a few years if not longer. Until OLED is ready for prime time and at affordable prices, i just don't see Panasonic abandoning Plasma any time soon.

#510 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/480#post_22836530

Agreed. Panasonic has shown more commitment to Plasma than the other two companies for 2013 with five models being announced - one less model than their 2012 lineup had. Samsung on the other hand has slashed their lineup from over 5 models to only two (entry level 720p and one expensive flagship), and i understand LG has reduced their 2013 lineup to only two models as well.

Samsung and LG are very heavily invested in LED technology so it's not surprising that they'd move more eggs into their LED baskets. But Panasonic is much more vested in PDP and not so much in LED and i actually think they'll see an increase in PDP sales now with the competition not having much to offer this year. Panasonic really has no reason to abandon Plasma yet since they're comparatively cheap to make, they still have the best overall picture quality, they sell for much less than even the most inferior LED sets, and OLED won't be a viable or financial alternative for at least a few years if not longer. Until OLED is ready for prime time and at affordable prices, i just don't see Panasonic abandoning Plasma any time soon.

Thanks for that factual info Randy.

#511 ·
It's going to take everything in me not to jump on a closeout 65" VT50 as I'm pretty darn confident the 60's going to be the new (and decidedly so) benchmark for televisions that actual humans can afford.

Already trying to justify the price...

"what's another $1000 over the next 4-5 years?"

crap.

James

#512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/510#post_22837417

It's going to take everything in me not to jump on a closeout 65" VT50 as I'm pretty darn confident the 60's going to be the new (and decidedly so) benchmark for televisions that actual humans can afford.

Already trying to justify the price...

"what's another $1000 over the next 4-5 years?"

crap.

James

I wonder what kind of a closeout deal I could get on a ST50 in a 65in

screen and if the ST60 will be any better.

#513 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/500_100#post_22836530

Panasonic really has no reason to abandon Plasma yet since they're comparatively cheap to make, they still have the best overall picture quality, they sell for much less than even the most inferior LED sets, and OLED won't be a viable or financial alternative for at least a few years if not longer.
I'd love that the the superior quality of Panasonic plasmas would be so obvious to the common consumer.

#514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/480#post_22836530

..... Panasonic has shown more commitment to Plasma than the other two companies for 2013 with five models being announced - one less model than their 2012 lineup had. Samsung on the other hand has slashed their lineup from over 5 models to only two (entry level 720p and one expensive flagship), and i understand LG has reduced their 2013 lineup to only two models as well.

I may have spoken too soon - during CES, publications were reporting that Samsung will only have two Plasma models in 2013 (a F8500 Flagship and F4500 entry-level) but in the F8500 thread a gent posted a PDF Chart showing they're also planning an F5300 and F5500 model.

#515 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/510#post_22838560

I wonder what kind of a closeout deal I could get on a ST50 in a 65in

screen and if the ST60 will be any better.

I'm wondering the same thing!

I looked at an ST50, GT 50 and VT50. And could not tell the difference (ya I'm sure with the right movie I could something)

But they all looked amazing, but the 60" looks small beside the 65", so I want a 65 now

#516 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22359781

I would like to see next years Panasonics produce a sharper crisper image like the previous models did. The 2012s are soft and lacking detail on 720p sources and content - my old 2009 G10 is much crisper and much more detailed with those same exact sources. Even 1080i content is a little softer, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is on 720p. It's the only thing i don't like about my GT50 and it astounds me that Panasonic would let this happen on the 2012 models. But my new Darbee Dablet has greatly improved this issue and adds detail that the TV should have been displaying in the first place, but even with the Darbee the GT50 still isn't as crisp as my G10.

I have to agree..I also have the Gen-10 65" 720p, the PQ is sharp and exact. My TH was made in Japan and frankly I'm not sure about the new Panasonics?

#518 ·
Randy Walters: The ZT-60 is moving closer and closer to Pioneer 9.5g Kuro quality.

Do you think Panasonic will produce a plasma that will be better than the greatest Kuro before they exit the plasma business?

Take your best guess as to WHEN: 2014, 2015, or 2016?

P.S. I'm guessing that there is no way that Panasonic will produce plasmas after 2016--do you think I'm right or wrong about that?

#519 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/510#post_22851207

Randy Walters: The ZT-60 is moving closer and closer to Pioneer 9.5g Kuro quality.

Do you think Panasonic will produce a plasma that will be better than the greatest Kuro before they exit the plasma business?

Take your best guess as to WHEN: 2014, 2015, or 2016?

P.S. I'm guessing that there is no way that Panasonic will produce plasmas after 2016--do you think I'm right or wrong about that?

This kind of post is unproductive frankly...especially in that your post lacks any credible basis. no one has tested these units empirically and we have no idea where in the mll pantheon they will fall.

#520 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/510#post_22851284

This kind of post is unproductive frankly...especially in that your post lacks any credible basis. no one has tested these units empirically and we have no idea where in the mll pantheon they will fall.

Actually from all the reports it looks like the ZT60 will suprass the last Kuro...

#523 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/510#post_22851674

Actually from all the reports it looks like the ZT60 will suprass the last Kuro...
more nonsense, who has reviewed one, what just like the vt 30, then the 50, oh dear, probably haven't even started production yet:eek:

#524 ·
Guys, after hearing about the zt60, if they don't beat the 9.5G this year, it'll happen next year when they launch improved tech across the range. And with the way Samsung is headed, maybe they'll do it first.

With oled showing up soon, and not having having high yields, they have to have a cost effective solution and they know it. I wouldn't be too surprised if panny and Sammy go 4k in their top of the range plasmas next year.

#526 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/510#post_22852532

Just curious, lets say they kept all things unchanged with the zt60 but make it 4k.....would that result in a dimmer picture, or would it have no bearing on brightness?

It's actually not possible to answer that. Each cell would likely be fairly dim, but there'd be four of them for every pixel in a 1080p model and they could probably be driven fairly hard.

But it's an academic question because no one can say what engineering choices were made to make the 4K model until they actually make the 4K model.

Please note, you are likely to receive answers that contradict this based on a lot of baseless speculation people have read elsewhere. Those answers are most probably wrong, but if someone should prove otherwise, I'd be willing to discuss it further.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.