post #811 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Well, this quote nearly brought me to tears! I feel so, so sorry for CE companies now and the guilt is just killing me. Where do I make a donation?

C'mon, guys. As consumers, we advocate for our own rational self-interest. And when CE companies do the same, then an agreement is reached (a purchase). MSRP is for suckers. Does it have to be that way? How much of what comprises MSRP is margin to cover the cost of replacing "dead on arrivals", etc? How much of it is importation this or that and shipping or logistical ineffeciencies. I'm not paying for that. And I get a one year warranty? Really. One year. Thanks.

No argument from me. We’ve consumer advocated ourselves (based on price rather than value) to a place where I can buy a 65” TV for 2k but can’t get a premium picture because the one company that could deliver a premium picture left the plasma business because they couldn’t get the marketplace to pay enough margin for them to stay in business.

We’ve consumer advocated so well most manufacturing has been moved off shore where we’ve become addicted to the types of prices only $1 a day labor can deliver.

I don’t want to pay more than anyone else wants to pay more for something but there are business realities. My company managed SEM for several online electronics store including Tiger Direct. Overall gross margin is 8-10%. Would you get into a business with hopes of growing it knowing that your gross margin will only be 10%?

Never mind the cost of bogus returns, charge backs, and declines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Well, this quote nearly brought me to tears! I feel so, so sorry for CE companies now and the guilt is just killing me. Where do I make a donation?

C'mon, guys. As consumers, we advocate for our own rational self-interest. And when CE companies do the same, then an agreement is reached (a purchase). MSRP is for suckers. Does it have to be that way? How much of what comprises MSRP is margin to cover the cost of replacing "dead on arrivals", etc? How much of it is importation this or that and shipping or logistical ineffeciencies. I'm not paying for that. And I get a one year warranty? Really. One year. Thanks.

Power to the people, man!

Seriously, I get where you're coming from. You're just being ignorant though if you expect the costs of defects and shipping to not be included in the cost of the goods you pay for. Also, what's wrong with a business making a decent profit margin? You have to allow for that if you want that company to continue researching better product enhancements and reigning in the "logistical inefficiencies" you complain about. You want a better warranty? That costs money. Are you going to pay for it?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #813 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

What does CE mean in this context?
I'm confused. Unless I've misunderstood--do tell me if I have--I frequently read the experts' advisement that you can't get a good idea of what a TV looks like in a brick and mortar store, especially when that TV is a plasma, since they jack up the cell light and contrast to self-destructive levels in order to compete with adjacent LCDs. I'm a newbie to display stuff, but it sounds very similar to the audio experts' advisement that you can't really demo speakers at a big box retailer's warehouse showroom (something I've definitely experienced firsthand).
But, isn't that how competition works in a capitalist system? I don't mean to get all political, just asking if it's supposed to be any other way. Maybe it's a failure of my imagination, but I thought that the producer or vendor that appeals best to the customer, gets the business. The producer or vendor that doesn't evolve to meet the challenge of a changing marketplace, goes out of business. Nokia, BlackBerry (née RIM), Circuit City, et al. Frankly, I don't miss Blockbuster, not even a little. Do you?
You're so right about this. I bought my first plasma from a big box retailer, and when I brought it home and found that it had a shattered screen, this blue-and-yellow retailer's handling of the problem was appalling; their policy seemed to come from a time when they had no real competition, and like the cable monopolies, they never considered actually making the customer glad to do business with them. So I bought my next, more expensive plasma from the online jungle-river retailer, who have demonstrated time and time again that they completely understand how to make a customer fiercely loyal. This is even though I paid tax on the second TV. As it happens, I paid substantially less, even with tax included, than I would have paid at the blue-and-yellow. Should I have opted to pay more, for the same product, with worse policies? Would any of you guys have done that? Maybe so. Mind you, I think a lot of you have more income than I do; if I buy a new TV, it's because I planned and scrimped for months to do so. However, prices notwithstanding, I think it's sensible and proper for consumers to give more business to those companies that have more consumer-friendly policies. Are we supposed to subsidize those organizations that already profit off us, when they casually slap us in the face in exchange for our patronage?

I won't mourn the demise of the blue-and-yellow business, not even a little, because their policies, customer service and selection are all hugely inferior to those of their competitors. The rise of their business accompanied the demise of their now-defunct competitors. This is how it works, as far as I can tell.

Sorry you had to go through that experience. Unfortunately, retailers have been forced to be skeptical in situations like these. If they aren't, they get taken advantage of. They could build it into the price, but then people would complain that prices are too high. The fact of the matter is, going through this with Amazon probably wouldn't have been a great experience either.

As far as the ability to deduce picture quality in a show-room. Seeing the TV next to others is a HUGE indicator of overall quality. Sure, the TV is not in an ideal environment, but it's far better than trying to get an idea of quality by looking at a web page.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #814 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Texas recently - july 1 2012 - began charging sales tax on all amazon purchases. Coupled with bestbuy getting more competitive with most amazon prices, i have found myself consciously trying to buy local and support local employment/infrastructure.

Amazon is also charging sales tax in California as of November.

And yet Amazon's Q4 sales were up 22% over the year before, with sales tax being charged in Texas and California.

Go figure.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #815 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

And yet Amazon's Q4 sales were up 22% over the year before, with sales tax being charged in Texas and California.

Go figure.

Let's not forget about their overall operating loss for the year($39M). Also, sales at Best Buy in the affected states have gone up since the taxes went into effect. There are many facets to this story, saying that sales were up 22% for an online retailer isn't saying much. Amazon is still currently spending more than they are making. All while their margins are shrinking.

post #816 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Go figure.

but weren't their profits down???
And let's face it.....we are in the minority of TV purchasers...how many times have we referred to "Joe Six Pack?" We will,almost ad infinitum,research an electronic device to death before pulling the trigger....
We will make major purchases,sight unseen,on many items...I did just that with my Panny VT30 65" Plasma and have never once regretted that...Can you picture the Joes of this world doing that??IMO,what drives them is price over quality,and financing...If the B&M stores of this country depended on the AVS buyers of this world....their doors would have closed a long time ago..
post #817 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Sorry you had to go through that experience. Unfortunately, retailers have been forced to be skeptical in situations like these. If they aren't, they get taken advantage of. They could build it into the price, but then people would complain that prices are too high. The fact of the matter is, going through this with Amazon probably wouldn't have been a great experience either.

As far as the ability to deduce picture quality in a show-room. Seeing the TV next to others is a HUGE indicator of overall quality. Sure, the TV is not in an ideal environment, but it's far better than trying to get an idea of quality by looking at a web page.

Well, this is awkward. Still, I'm game. The issue with the B&M wasn't skepticism; it was that, according to them, because I'd purchased the set from their online... system, even though I'd retrieved the set from their store, they couldn't do an exchange; according to them, these were two different inventories (???) Yes, despite my retrieval of the set from the storage at the back of their store. So I was supposed to wait a week for them to refund my bank account, then re-purchase a different unit. Sorry, that's awful. Wasn't it supposed to be a good move, buying it online and picking it up at the store? In fact it was nothing but a penalty. You can't do that, refuse to do an exchange on a perfectly non-functional product, because the consumer took your advice to buy online for extra convenience.

It gets better. That second plasma, bought from the online retailer: believe it or not, and I'm not making this up, so you can believe it, it also arrived with a shattered screen. No, I'm not making that up. The delivery guy confirmed it with me as we opened it; I refused it and sent it back. I called the online retailer, and they had another set delivered to the local large package carrier by the next morning (it's on its way to my home presently). No, they didn't do anything ridiculous like make me wait for the broken set to get back to them. They knew how awful that could (and should) make any consumer feel.

Now, in both cases, the retailer sold me damaged goods. I hope you see the difference between the approaches used when both retailers encountered problem transactions; and I hope you see why the online retailer will get a lot more of my business, and the B&M, none at all.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #818 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Go figure.

Read this; you're a bit off on your assertion:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/30/amazon-salestax-idUSL1E9CH7QQ20130130
post #819 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Well, this is awkward. Still, I'm game. The issue with the B&M wasn't skepticism; it was that, according to them, because I'd purchased the set from their online... system, even though I'd retrieved the set from their store, they couldn't do an exchange; according to them, these were two different inventories (???) Yes, despite my retrieval of the set from the storage at the back of their store. So I was supposed to wait a week for them to refund my bank account, then re-purchase a different unit. Sorry, that's awful. Wasn't it supposed to be a good move, buying it online and picking it up at the store? In fact it was nothing but a penalty. You can't do that, refuse to do an exchange on a perfectly non-functional product, because the consumer took your advice to buy online for extra convenience.

It gets better. That second plasma, bought from the online retailer: believe it or not, and I'm not making this up, so you can believe it, it also arrived with a shattered screen. No, I'm not making that up. The delivery guy confirmed it with me as we opened it; I refused it and sent it back. I called the online retailer, and they had another set delivered to the local large package carrier by the next morning (it's on its way to my home presently). No, they didn't do anything ridiculous like make me wait for the broken set to get back to them. They knew how awful that could (and should) make any consumer feel.

Now, in both cases, the retailer sold me damaged goods. I hope you see the difference between the approaches used when both retailers encountered problem transactions; and I hope you see why the online retailer will get a lot more of my business, and the B&M, none at all.

Well, your post was misleading at best. Maybe try telling the entire story next time. Or maybe even something that comes close to resembling what actually happened.

You are right about your experience though. That would definitely suck. This situations are different though. Had you accepted delivery, they would have had to wait to receive the TV back. Am a little curious about the reason for not letting you exchange though. What model TV was this and was it a model that they carried normally in-store? Was this recent?

post #820 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Liked: 26
I hope they have improved their video processors so that it is equal to or even(hopefully) surpasses the ones that Samsung uses.
post #821 of 1445 Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Well, your post was misleading at best. Maybe try telling the entire story next time. Or maybe even something that comes close to resembling what actually happened.

You are right about your experience though. That would definitely suck. This situations are different though. Had you accepted delivery, they would have had to wait to receive the TV back. Am a little curious about the reason for not letting you exchange though. What model TV was this and was it a model that they carried normally in-store? Was this recent?

Misleading at best? Try telling something that resembles... next time... huh? What's that all about, guy? I think you should read my original post again, this time without making any assumptions. I didn't hide or distort anything (why would I?) My plasma purchase accounts are completely true and each stands on its own, regardless of whether you read the simplified version or the complete version. Customer service at the B&M, piss-poor. Customer service at the online retailer, stellar. That's that. The extra details don't change anything, other than to explain that the issue had nothing to do with *your assumption* that the B&M's employees questioned my claim that the TV was shattered before I left their store. I never said nor did I imply that they questioned this claim, I said that their handling of the situation was appalling. It was, and you clearly agree.

Anyway, yes, it did totally suck. And whatever might have happened had I accepted delivery on the online retailer's broken TV is irrelevant; the online retailer's delivery policy *requires* the delivery personnel to open the package and inspect the set with the customer. Therefore there was no chance that I would not have returned the broken TV. See? That's what I mean. Customer-friendly policy. Making me feel safe, and like they give a damn about my experience doing business with them.

Do you want to know the kicker? Here it is: even if I had for some reason accepted the shattered TV, the online retailer's policy gives the recipient of a broken set two months from the delivery date to return it. So in fact even if I hadn't refused it upon delivery, had sent the driver on his way, and I had discovered it some hours later, say, then they would have shipped me out another set while they waited for my return. Yes, this is absolutely true. You could make a single phone call to them to inquire about their damaged-large-item exchange policy to verify what I am saying, if you were interested.

As for why the B&M wouldn't let me do the exchange, I explained that already. I purchased my Samsung PN50C550 from the B&M's web site, so that I could simply pick it up at the store--something they claimed would facilitate a speedy, more convenient transaction. I did so. I brought it home, it was shattered. I brought it back, and at the store, they told me I couldn't exchange it, since it was from a "different inventory system," whatever that can mean, given that it was an in-store pickup (it meant nothing meaningful to a customer--the model was on display). Because it was bought from this "different inventory system," it would have to be processed as a refund, taking some 7-10 days. Simple as that. The store carried the part, because it was from the store that I retrieved it, and again, it was on display. This fiasco transpired in April of 2010.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #822 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Liked: 23
Where are the MODS????? Guys, can we get back on topic? This is a Panasonic thread, Not a B&M vs. Online retailer thread.
ptlurking and TulsaCoker like this.
post #823 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 AM

Liked: 15
I was watching the Super Bowl last night (Go Ravens!!!) at a local Restaurant / Sports Bar that had
65" Panasonic Plasmas all around.

The Panasonics looked awesome!

I've never been impressed with Panasonic Plasmas when viewing them at the local Magnolia.
They always looked a bit murky and blurry to my eyes.

Seeing the Panasonics last night changed my mind.
They were very dynamic, crystal clear with incredibly deep black levels.
Even my wife noticed asking me... "what TV is that? They look nice."

I asked the bartender if he knew which models these were but he had no clue.

All I can say is if the 2013 models are an improvement over what I saw last night... then I'm sold!
Mirheldt likes this.
post #824 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 10
Wondering If there will be a HEVC (H.265) codec support, atleast with ZT, VT lines.
post #825 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
While I'd love the amazing black levels, superior brightness and wider color gamut(for gaming) of the Panasonic 60" S60,
i know deep down that it will be just as bad or even worse in terms of input lag performance as last years U50 & UT50, basically the entire 2012 line up.
meaning 3 frames...and for me, it didn't cut it whatsoever. The 2011 S30(which i now own) is MILES better, pushing only 1 frame via component cables which is as GOOD as it gets
for any plasma which matches the 2010 LG LD450 LCD(which i've also owned before) and it makes ALL the difference. The 16-32ms test results for the S30 and ST30 are accurate.
I'll put this 16-32ms(no direct answer here) to rest. you GET that 16ms/1 frame using component cables(480p and 720p), while you get '32ms' when using HDMI. The U50 and UT50
received an awful 47ms/3 frames and it's dead on.

The agressive(isn't the case with my S30) auto dimming of the 2012 models might be present with the 2013's and maybe even the soft scaling for 480p
and 720p content as well which is another problem with the 2012 models which WASN'T a problem with the 2011's...I'd be willing to eventually give
up my 60" S30 for the 60" S60 if it produces 1 frame via component, but that most likely will not happen. Meanwhile, samsung
plasma's(without doing the HDMI '1' trick which disables most of the picture controls. no thanks) now usually do 2 frames and that
doesn't cut it for me either. i guess I'm just destined to stick with my S30 until Super OLED's hit the market in affordable
sizes!

The S30's black levels are still fantastic, the brightness is great and so is the color gamut. But the 2012 panny's were still
superior in all 3 areas yet worse 'again' in terms of input lag performance,
agressive auto dimming and soft scaling for 480p/720p content which is why i completely
skipped all together on the U50 and spent months trying to hunt down a 50" or 60"
S30, where i FINALLY lucked out. It along with the ST30 are the wholy grail when
it comes to panasonic plasmas in terms of gaming due to that awesome 1 frame/16ms of lag.

the 2012 panny's were far worse in this regard, lets just see how the 2013's fair....
post #826 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post

Where are the MODS????? Guys, can we get back on topic? This is a Panasonic thread, Not a B&M vs. Online retailer thread.

+1!

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #827 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
When someone says something asinine, topics veer. That's just the way forums go (unless you want a gestapo type censoring force present). Nobody has any of the 2013 panels yet, so any further discussion at this time is just pontification (of which there is already plenty). This thread would then be sinking into the 2nd page and beyond due to nonactivity. Heck, the thread was already on its way back to being strictly on-topic. How 'bout we leave the moderating to the mods or just report posts if the veering topics are bothersome?
CruelInventions likes this.
post #828 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

9.5G Kuro measures ~0.0001fL... if anyone expects the ZT60 to match that, they're delusional.

D-Nice probably said that he expects it to measure below 0.0022fL, because that's what the VT50 measures. My guess is the ZT60 will measure between 0.0008 - 0.0015, but I wouldn't be surprised if it matched a 9G Kuro (0.0005 for reference).

So now the question has to be asked, can anyone other than Superman see the difference between .0001 and .0005? Or are we arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

"The truth is out there!"
post #829 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Given the right content, sure.
post #830 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM

The biggest difference in .0001 and .0005 right now is the fact that we can't buy a tv right now that has those specs ( aside from Sharp Elite). Here is a good poll question for everyone..... If the ZT 60 is as good as last years VT50 and has an MLL in the .oo1 - .0015 range will you buy? Or will you pass and keep waiting for the Kuro blacks in future years? Ive basically put off buying a new TV for 2 years now waiting and I don't think I can hold off another year. At one point this summer I was in the LCD threads looking at buying a Sony or Elite .
post #831 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Read this; you're a bit off on your assertion:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/30/amazon-salestax-idUSL1E9CH7QQ20130130

I'm not off on my assertion. Sales at Amazon were up as much as I said they were. We'll see over time whether sales in "tax collect" states really stop growing as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirheldt View Post

Wondering If there will be a HEVC (H.265) codec support, atleast with ZT, VT lines.

No.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #832 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

So now the question has to be asked, can anyone other than Superman see the difference between .0001 and .0005? Or are we arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Sure, just as many people can tell you the difference between wines with just one sip, or the difference between an original and a forgery with a glance and the difference between so many things. There are a lot of people who couldn't tell you the difference as well. Just depends on the person. People who can't tell the difference in a way are lucky. They can pick up their Walmart 42" TV and be happy with it for a few hundred dollars. Some of us appreciate the finer things and are willing to pay for it. Myself, I couldn't tell you the difference between a $5 bottle of wine and a $50 bottle but I can tell the difference between a crap TV and a good one.
post #833 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this. I don't believe any human can tell that level of difference. And forget about having any light at all when trying. Even the dimmest light in the room would blow away that level of difference.

Its like when people measure the THD of a an amp. No one can hear the difference between .005% and .001% even though one amp is 500% noisier than the other. But lots of people *claim* to hear it.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Sure, just as many people can tell you the difference between wines with just one sip, or the difference between an original and a forgery with a glance and the difference between so many things.
post #834 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM

*It goes without saying that there could be no bias lighting in a room in order to detect that difference, but given a scene with enough low lighting (and a dark enough room where the pupils have fully adjusted), who's to say it couldn't be detected?
post #835 of 1445 Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, I don't really know what the limit is on human detection of minimum luminance except that humans can clearly detect absolute blackness. So if the screen could do black, that would be a good thing. And if it could do that black and also preserve all shadow detail, that would also be a good thing.

Yes, all of this is on pretty significant diminishing returns. When I turn the room lights down, my VT50 -- which doesn't do a true black -- is hard to distinguish from the bezel. And the shadow detail is pretty good, too.

I think it could be a bit better, but I'm not sure how much better.

post #836 of 1445 Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

So, I don't really know what the limit is on human detection of minimum luminance except that humans can clearly detect absolute blackness. So if the screen could do black, that would be a good thing. And if it could do that black and also preserve all shadow detail, that would also be a good thing.

Yes, all of this is on pretty significant diminishing returns. When I turn the room lights down, my VT50 -- which doesn't do a true black -- is hard to distinguish from the bezel. And the shadow detail is pretty good, too.

I think it could be a bit better, but I'm not sure how much better.

....and at what cost?

If you bought a new display in the last year, just how willing would you be to get a display with a hair deeper blacks that won't show up in a room with as much as a single light on? But that presumes that there aren't other improvements that collectively provides a better picture that can be seen most of the time.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #837 of 1445 Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

*It goes without saying that there could be no bias lighting in a room in order to detect that difference, but given a scene with enough low lighting (and a dark enough room where the pupils have fully adjusted), who's to say it couldn't be detected?

does anyone watch tv in a pitch black room? Isn't that really hard on the eyes? I always have some bit of lighting in the room, and even then people ask what are you a vampire? smile.gif
post #838 of 1445 Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Well, I believe D-Nice said that he could see the difference between his tweaked 101FD and a 500M (0.0001 vs 0.0005 I believe) in a dark room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

does anyone watch tv in a pitch black room? Isn't that really hard on the eyes? I always have some bit of lighting in the room, and even then people ask what are you a vampire? smile.gif
I do. smile.gif

It's only hard on your eyes if you have the contrast set too high. I calibrated my set to just under 35fL and I don't find it hard on my eyes.
post #839 of 1445 Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Look--one of these days there's going to be a manned mission sent to the surface of a black hole.

To really get the true experience of the surface of the black hole you're going to need a display that can show it all!

Some of you out there aren't ready to see it all.

Have you ever been experienced? I have.
post #840 of 1445 Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
At the end of the day on the BR tv. I really wish it would go much lower(ST30), that .008 glows in the dark. And If I'm not mistaken everyone that goes to a movie theater. cool.gif We need to in the LR because it's a G10 panny(.030fl).
I have no idea what you just said there. Not a word. Translation, please. confused.gif

EDIT: OK, figured out this much:

"BR" is bedroom .
Why the period after "tv"? itchy typing finger I guess, should be comma.
You have an ST30 and it only goes as low as .008 so you wish it would go lower?
Not sure about the next line. You mean people are illuminated from the reflected light off of the screen? If so, what about that warrants a "cool" smilie (cool.gif)?
"LR" stands for living room. No idea about the rest.

I'm exhausted. tongue.gif

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page