AVS Forum banner
215K views 1K replies 253 participants last post by  dsmith901 
#1 ·
Better black levels?

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/0_60#post_22349479

Not at the Best Buy close to where I live...

Wow, weird. The several around me have long ago transitioned to much more subdued lighting. I didn't think BB allowed for such divergence in store design.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22349698

Wow, weird. The several around me have long ago transitioned to much more subdued lighting. I didn't think BB allowed for such divergence in store design.
We have the bright lights at our Houston locations with the exception of the Magnolias which are closer to room conditions.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22337020

I know this is a little off-topic but how often do people here replace their primary TVs? How many years?

I ask because it seems some here get a new TV every year or two, which I find hard to believe since most TV buyers (not on AVS) stick with their purchases for at least 5 years (on average) and you don't get much money for selling a used TV (even if it's only used for a year or two).

I've had 3 since 2010 (2 Samsungs 64' 3D & current 65VT50).

It would be nice to have a larger screen. Like someone already said a 65" is lacking to folks like me. I'd be satisfied with nothing less than a 75" PDP. As for what do we expect to see in 2013. Perhaps they could make the 3D picture even brighter and for those who get their picture OTA (like me) a sorley needed update to the on screen channel information display which is as bare bones as you can get. It lacks any pertinent information on the bare basics of the content you are watching. It's the worse by far I've ever seen. My 49.00 digital box coughs up more information. For a flag ship set their OTA on screen information is embarrasing. In comparison, the Samsungs sets I've had are miles ahead. I did make this complaint known to Panasonic.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22350118

It would be nice to have a larger screen. Like someone already said a 65" is lacking to folks like me. I'd be satisfied with nothing less than a 75" PDP. As for what do we expect to see in 2013. Perhaps they could make the 3D picture even brighter and for those who get their picture OTA (like me) a sorley needed update to the on screen channel information display which is as bare bones as you can get. It lacks any pertinent information on the bare basics of the content you are watching. It's the worse by far I've ever seen. My 49.00 digital box coughs up more information. For a flag ship set their OTA on screen information is embarrasing. In comparison, the Samsungs sets I've had are miles ahead. I did make this complaint known to Panasonic.

Do you still have the 2 Samsungs? If you did sell them, what's a good place to get a fair price when selling TVs that are only 1-2 years old? (I guess I'm trying to figure out how some upgrade their main TVs more frequently without losing a lot of money buying and selling.)

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trem0lo  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22345577

Why a 9G Kuro of course! Grab a used 500m or 101, you won't regret it. Mine is a joy to watch. I was at Best Buy Magnolia the other day and the only thing that comes close is the Sharp Elite. Not the Panny VT, and definitely not the Samsung. The Sharp has a great picture but I saw glowing around the text during the green movie preview screens. The size is impressive of course but the pq is just not there. It's very good, just different than and slightly inferior to the plasma Elites.

Having spent a lot of time with my friend's 50" and 60" 9G Kuros and comparing familiar programming on their TVs and on my 50GT50, i find that my GT50 is very very close to Kuro's overall picture quality so the VT50 would be even closer still. Even D-Nice said that if his Kuros died, the VT50 would be the only acceptable replacement which is high praise for the VT50 and speaks volumes of it's performance.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22353544

Having spent a lot of time with my friend's 50" and 60" 9G Kuros and comparing familiar programming on their TVs and on my 50GT50, i find that my GT50 is very very close to Kuro's overall picture quality so the VT50 would be even closer still. Even D-Nice said that if his Kuros died, the VT50 would be the only acceptable replacement which is high praise for the VT50 and speaks volumes of it's performance.

You are exactly correct. I have a 500m and VT50 which are both calibrated. I have put them side by side and the difference is minimal.

#58 ·
Was the 9G Kuro the last generation? if not, which was and what kind of contrast ratio was the latest/best Kuro putting out? black level?

65" VT50 is 16,500:1 (on/off CR), 10,219:1 (ANSI CR), and black level of 0.002 fL (according to value electronics shootout)

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22354467

Was the 9G Kuro the last generation? if not, which was and what kind of contrast ratio was the latest/best Kuro putting out? black level?

65" VT50 is 16,500:1 (on/off CR) and black level of 0.002 fL (according to value electronics shootout)

Technically no. The 500m was the last generation (9.5G) as it supposedly has 10G tech in it. The 500m has the best black level of all kuros and the lowest measurements I remember seeing are 0.0004-0.0005 fl. I don't know the contrast ratio but I know d-nice posted it somewhere on this board.

The black level difference between the 500m and VT50 is enough for me to be able to tell the difference without comparing them side-by-side.

#60 ·
So, side-by-side you can hardly tell a difference but you can more easily tell them apart when they are not side-by-side. lolwut.

Quote:
"I have a 500m and VT50 which are both calibrated. I have put them side by side and the difference is minimal."
Quote:
"The black level difference between the 500m and VT50 is enough for me to be able to tell the difference without comparing them side-by-side."

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22322388

The best thing Panasonic could do for 2013 is spend a little coin on TV advertising. Let the public know what the plasma technology has to offer compared to LCD technology. We all know what the differences are but for crying out loud, there are still people out there that think you need to change out the plasma gas every three years. I actually heard a salesman at Costco tell a customer that, this year.

Most tv ads try to show off their models showing what the tv reproduces on the tv you own and are watching.My question

,therefore,is this:

If the Tv I own and watch,shows a beautiful picture on the one being advertised,why in hell

would I need,and want to buy a new TV?

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22355573

So, side-by-side you can hardly tell a difference but you can more easily tell them apart when they are not side-by-side. lolwut.

The black level difference is the only difference I can notice when they are not side by side. When side by side, they look damn near identical except for black level (black bars, dark scenes). I should have been more clear

#64 ·
You may see a 4K TV from Panasonic next year. They can make 8K plasma's and LG and sony are releasing 4K TVs this year. It wouldn't be a stretch for Panny to offer a 4K plasma next year at their top end. Maybe the VT will be 4K or maybe the'll have something like an XT that's 4K and costs $10,000 for a 65".

#65 ·
I'd be absolutely satisfied with this years Black levels, when it comes to the UT50. At this point i just want even 'better' motion handeling +

Zero artifacts/dithering when gaming...Possibly to the level of a CRT. And most importantly LESS input lag than this years Panasonic lineup.

#66 ·
I would like to see next years Panasonics produce a sharper crisper image like the previous models did. The 2012s are soft and lacking detail on 720p sources and content - my old 2009 G10 is much crisper and much more detailed with those same exact sources. Even 1080i content is a little softer, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is on 720p. It's the only thing i don't like about my GT50 and it astounds me that Panasonic would let this happen on the 2012 models. But my new Darbee Dablet has greatly improved this issue and adds detail that the TV should have been displaying in the first place, but even with the Darbee the GT50 still isn't as crisp as my G10.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/30#post_22350118

The absolute lack of program information and a more complete channel guide has always been my major complaint with Panasonic plasmas when connected to an OTA antenna. Samsung clearly excels in this category, and most LG plasmas now provide this info as well. It is nice to have a description of the program you are watching, and even Samsung's entry level 720p models provide the program info. Panasonic needs to correct this major omission, but not sure if a firmware upgrade would be able to do it. But definitely in future models. But on a positive note, the Panny plasmas this year do have a very good OTA tuner.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22359781

I would like to see next years Panasonics produce a sharper crisper image like the previous models did. The 2012s are soft and lacking detail on 720p sources and content - my old 2009 G10 is much crisper and much more detailed with those same exact sources. Even 1080i content is a little softer, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is on 720p. It's the only thing i don't like about my GT50 and it astounds me that Panasonic would let this happen on the 2012 models. But my new Darbee Dablet has greatly improved this issue and adds detail that the TV should have been displaying in the first place, but even with the Darbee the GT50 still isn't as crisp as my G10.

Randy. Did your Darblet make a difference?

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22355770

Most tv ads try to show off their models showing what the tv reproduces on the tv you own and are watching.My question

,therefore,is this:

If the Tv I own and watch,shows a beautiful picture on the one being advertised,why in hell

would I need,and want to buy a new TV?

It is impossible to show off the PQ of any advertised display regardless if your set has a good picture or a terrible picture. It will only render to it's best ability. Perhaps they could make a few technical comparisons like black levels, off axis viewing, game playing advantages, overall rendition of the picture. The ad would have to clever, easy to understand, and be delivered by a known personality perceived to be technically knowledgeable. Several current recording stars meet that standard as do several actors. They just need to be convincing (naturally). I'm sure that several advertising agencies could come up with commercials aimed at the correct audiences. Maybe they could use a clever little green lizard.

#70 ·
Another slightly off-topic post, but what does everyone think of the 2011 (ST/GT/VT30) series now that the dust has settled? In comparison to the xx50 series?

I bought the 55ST30 last year, and couldn't be happier - arguably the best PQ in the price range from a year ago (purchased June 2011). My parents bought a Sony 55HX820 (my other choice at the time)... and let's just say I'm very very happy I chose the Panasonic.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22364215

Another slightly off-topic post, but what does everyone think of the 2011 (ST/GT/VT30) series now that the dust has settled? In comparison to the xx50 series?

I bought the 55ST30 last year, and couldn't be happier - arguably the best PQ in the price range from a year ago (purchased June 2011). My parents bought a Sony 55HX820 (my other choice at the time)... and let's just say I'm very very happy I chose the Panasonic.

I have the VT30 myself, and love it.

Are the 2012 Pannys better than the 2011's? Yes, by all reports. They do get better every year, and the jump this year may be larger than most previous years. But is it worth upgrading? IMO, no (although many here will disagree -- IMO, it's not cost effective to upgrade each and every year). If you love what you have, just sit back and enjoy. Besides, in 6 months, you'll be reading about the 2013's and how they are even better than the 2012's!

#72 ·
Tech will always improve or at least I hope so but you can drive yourself crazy and broke trying to keep up if what you have is satisfying enjoy it till it breaks or the need to upgrade is worth it.

My last TV purchase was 8yrs ago needless to say i got an improvement in every way so it more than justified the recent purchase.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22357732

You may see a 4K TV from Panasonic next year. They can make 8K plasma's and LG and sony are releasing 4K TVs this year. It wouldn't be a stretch for Panny to offer a 4K plasma next year at their top end. Maybe the VT will be 4K or maybe the'll have something like an XT that's 4K and costs $10,000 for a 65".

4K plasma sets would be nice to compete with the 4K OLED sets. I doubt a 65" 4K plasma will be $10K. The picture won't be as bright since the pixels will be smaller, that is assuming they make the current sizes in 4K resolution next year. Maybe they will have to implement the 10 lumens tech to achieve the same brightness level as the 2012 Panasonic plasma sets. Who knows, but a 4K plasma will be sweet. Only thing that is missing is the source.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiOBoY529  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22370952

4K plasma sets would be nice to compete with the 4K OLED sets. I doubt a 65" 4K plasma will be $10K. The picture won't be as bright since the pixels will be smaller, that is assuming they make the current sizes in 4K resolution next year. Maybe they will have to implement the 10 lumens tech to achieve the same brightness level as the 2012 Panasonic plasma sets. Who knows, but a 4K plasma will be sweet. Only thing that is missing is the source.

I'd be all for 4k plasma if there is good upconversion tech- which Sony's Blu-ray player seems capable of for high def movies. 4k, for me, seems most important after zero black hits. Those 500m owners will tell you, with a low enough apl, you can make the picture look grey.

That's what I'm wondering with a 4k set- the brightness will definitely take a hit unless they do something different to maximize light output. Although they were showing an 8k set at IFA that didn't look dim at all, which makes me wonder what they've got in store for 4k sets. I'm not even sure we'll see 4k plasma, as OLED and LCD might be more appropriate for that resolution.

Sorry for the off topic, but I have no idea why there is this push for 84" 4k lcds, which will most likely be waaaay past 10k. Who the heck really wants an 84" set except a small minority? That's just so ridiculously large. After seeing the 80" Sharp in person, it's great if you've got the room, but if these sets are actually going to account for a real percentage of sales in the marketplace in the next few years, I just don't get it, aside from them not having the capacity to go towards a higher pixel pitch and actually fitting that many pixels on a 55" or 60" screen, because from many accounts, the difference is definitely noticeable. They might not be there yet for pixel density, though.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22373565

I'd be all for 4k plasma if there is good upconversion tech- which Sony's Blu-ray player seems capable of for high def movies. 4k, for me, seems most important after zero black hits. Those 500m owners will tell you, with a low enough apl, you can make the picture look grey.

That's what I'm wondering with a 4k set- the brightness will definitely take a hit unless they do something different to maximize light output. Although they were showing an 8k set at IFA that didn't look dim at all, which makes me wonder what they've got in store for 4k sets. I'm not even sure we'll see 4k plasma, as OLED and LCD might be more appropriate for that resolution.

Sorry for the off topic, but I have no idea why there is this push for 84" 4k lcds, which will most likely be waaaay past 10k. Who the heck really wants an 84" set except a small minority? That's just so ridiculously large. After seeing the 80" Sharp in person, it's great if you've got the room, but if these sets are actually going to account for a real percentage of sales in the marketplace in the next few years, I just don't get it, aside from them not having the capacity to go towards a higher pixel pitch and actually fitting that many pixels on a 55" or 60" screen, because from many accounts, the difference is definitely noticeable. They might not be there yet for pixel density, though.

The 8K plasma at IFA was a 145". It shouldn't look dim since nobody has ever own one. If you put an 1080p 145" panel side by side to 8K panel, it will make the 8K set look dim. The smaller the pixels the less light output it can produce. The only way to get better light output on higher resolution plasma panel is to implement 10 lumens tech in these sets. The current panasonic sets uses 5 lumens tech if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure we will see 4K plasma to compete with the 4K OLED and LCD/LED sets. Remember, plasma are cheaper to produce in the bigger sizes than other flat panel technologies.

I figure if you are going to get a set bigger than 65", you might as well get a front projector. You will save a lot of money, but 65"+ panels is what people want and the manufacturers are responding to it.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiOBoY529  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas/60#post_22375325

The 8K plasma at IFA was a 145". It shouldn't look dim since nobody has ever own one. If you put an 1080p 145" panel side by side to 8K panel, it will make the 8K set look dim. The smaller the pixels the less light output it can produce. The only way to get better light output on higher resolution plasma panel is to implement 10 lumens tech in these sets. The current panasonic sets uses 5 lumens tech if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure we will see 4K plasma to compete with the 4K OLED and LCD/LED sets. Remember, plasma are cheaper to produce in the bigger sizes than other flat panel technologies.

I figure if you are going to get a set bigger than 65", you might as well get a front projector. You will save a lot of money, but 65"+ panels is what people want and the manufacturers are responding to it.

Last I heard, there has never been 5 lumen tech in Panasonic plasmas, so it doesn't look like 10 lumen is likely to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.