Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The Samsung's did look good, we will see in a few months.......
Yes, that is a great attitude. Our new youth out there does not seem to think the same way. We seem to be headed to a place where everyone feels they should be provided for frown.gif

Keep in mind, seems like every year I have to mention this, the release date is not a rock solid date. There is a chance they could come out early, there is a chance they can come out late. Happens every year. Hope out allocation come in first, that's what counts biggrin.gif
so true! About the youth and the Release date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Sorry Mark..I don't know about you but when someone uses this term, "or words to that effect."; I don't hold their hand to the fire about accurary because the term is a commonly used caveat indicating a paraphrase of a comment or writing.
post #993 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

I maintain an Apple-free household and love my Sammy Galaxy phone and tab, but Panny makes a better plasma. Brand loyalty is over-rated. Heck, I'd have an LG in a heartbeat is they had a panel that wiped the floor with Panny.
I like to offset the rabidity of the core Apple fanbase by avoiding their overpriced products as well. If that makes me irrational, guilty as charged.
post #994 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973 View Post

Rogo...

I enjoy reading your posts, but you have selected a very small piece of a larger post I made in response to a blanket statement made about Apple making vastly superior products to Samsung and taken it out of context. Processor's are a key part of their product, and is a valid response to someone claiming superiority of one over another or being "way better". I also mentioned "or have in the past" which you conveniently left out. Not trying to get into a pissing contest, like I said, I have enjoyed your posts here, but cherry picking half a statement and then taking it out of the context in which it was intended is something I will address.

As for the amount of press for the ZT60's vs the F8500, I see a lot more articles on one over the other. If there are better sources on the F8500 I would honestly appreciate being pointed in the right direction as I am just not seeing the same level of coverage as I do for the ZT's. I am all for being better informed.

Pred, your point is well made to a point, and to that extent I apologize for the cherry-picking.

The point I really was focusing on was your claim that Apple doesn't make anything, which is really not true. I mean by that logic, very few "manufacturers" make anything, since contract mfg. and assembly is ubiquitous these days.

Again, I apologize for pulling things out of context, didn't mean to come off as harsh, and appreciate your kind words.

(I posted this publicly so everyone could see it; if there's something else to address, please feel free to send me a PM.)

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #995 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I like to offset the rabidity of the core Apple fanbase by avoiding their overpriced products as well. If that makes me irrational, guilty as charged.

While there are "overpriced" Apple products, the majority of their stuff is price competitive with products that are not sold free of profits for other purposes (e.g. Amazon tablets).

Retail pricing on Apple phones = competing products in the U.S. for example and Apple's tablet offerings are similarly priced to other quality products from "rational actor" sellers, like Samsung.

There is nothing wrong with not choosing Apple products, what's irrational -- to me -- is reflexively rejecting Apple products because the company has fans. Informing us about one's anti-Apple stance to then make a point about how brand loyalty is overrated is at least odd, and I'll stick with characterizing that as "irrational".

I own Apple products, Windows products, have owned (and will own again) Android products, Samsung products, etc.
HLdan likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #996 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by besthdef View Post

For Panasonic plasmas...Greater energy efficiency = less waste heat generated and less strain on heat and vent systems and on other electronics and on the plasma panel itself.

I don't know what Samsung is doing but even their lowly 64e533 puts out more heat than the top of the line Panny 65vt50.

I''m pretty psyched for the reviews. My prediction, based on past performance and pre-release hype: the zt60 will win black levels, color reproduction, glare reduction, and overall image quality (at least for the purists); the f8500 will be brighter, have more "pop", better noise reduction, have a cleaner more LCD like image, and double as an clothes dryer smile.gif
post #997 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyHere View Post

Really!!

Why is there such a huge difference??

The relative operating costs are published in BH catalog for each TV they sell. Panasonic kept improving the efficiency of their phosphors and lowering the brightness levels somewhat for the past few years and it shows. This years VT50 used better efficiency to improve the brightness level instead. Energy efficiency has been one of their major selling points and also a source of complaints by some consumers VT30 vs some older models such as the 850 series.

For the upcoming ZT/VT 60 series they have improved on the red phosphor.
post #998 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

While there are "overpriced" Apple products, the majority of their stuff is price competitive with products that are not sold free of profits for other purposes (e.g. Amazon tablets).

Retail pricing on Apple phones = competing products in the U.S. for example and Apple's tablet offerings are similarly priced to other quality products from "rational actor" sellers, like Samsung.

There is nothing wrong with not choosing Apple products, what's irrational -- to me -- is reflexively rejecting Apple products because the company has fans. Informing us about one's anti-Apple stance to then make a point about how brand loyalty is overrated is at least odd, and I'll stick with characterizing that as "irrational".

I own Apple products, Windows products, have owned (and will own again) Android products, Samsung products, etc.
I've owned an iPod Nano (only to put some 3rd party firmware on it), which was not ridiculously priced and was more than capable hardware, so your point is well taken. The iPhone and some of their tablets have been priced well beyond similar products from competitors (Samdung being one), and I can't help but think it's the iCrowd who have given them this price-gouging confidence. That reflexively tends to keep me away from the Apple brand unfortunately. It's still a free country (on the surface anyway), so I don't begrudge them the right to price what the market will allow, but I won't necessarily personally buy into the premium that they demand.
post #999 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
What's with all the Apple talk?!?! I was under the assumption this was a Panasonic thread...
rogo likes this.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #1000 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:

The Samsung's did look good, we will see in a few months.......
Yes, that is a great attitude. Our new youth out there does not seem to think the same way. We seem to be headed to a place where everyone feels they should be provided for frown.gif
It won't ultimately be a pretty place, but sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way.
post #1001 of 1445 Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

What's with all the Apple talk?!?! I was under the assumption this was a Panasonic thread...
It hasn't been for quite a while now. wink.gif
post #1002 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 AM

Liked: 14
Complaint of heat damage from the web

"....TV developed sub-screen spider cracks and suddenly died , Samsung's own tech noted ,"No External damage to screen" . Even after hundreds of complaints by honest consumers , Samsung won't take responsibility for their $3000 worth of poor consumer product. They know Thermal Expansin issues are causing their plasmas to premature failure but they won' t admit, because they sell millions of units. It is not acceptable. Consumers Please Beware, no quality or consumer support here with samsung. Good luck shopping. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I don't know what Samsung is doing but even their lowly 64e533 puts out more heat than the top of the line Panny 65vt50.

I''m pretty psyched for the reviews. My prediction, based on past performance and pre-release hype: the zt60 will win black levels, color reproduction, glare reduction, and overall image quality (at least for the purists); the f8500 will be brighter, have more "pop", better noise reduction, have a cleaner more LCD like image, and double as an clothes dryersmile.gif
post #1003 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
OK...so I have the iphone and I was....errrrr oh...this is a PANASONIC THREAD! WTF GUYS?
post #1004 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 AM

Liked: 19
Maybe we can use this off-topic direction to get back on topic ? Anyone seen the new Ipad calibration app for the 2013 Panasonics. Looks like using an Ipad you can tweak the settings using a visual reference on the tablet screen. From the very brief glance I seen of the video it looks interesting and I wonder how much difference it will make in the end result. Has anyone heard what models will have this feature ? ZT's ...ZT & VT's , the whole range ?
post #1005 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 AM

Liked: 10
good idea,there are still people out there that think you need to change out the plasma gas every three years.thanks 10.gif
post #1006 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Maybe we can use this off-topic direction to get back on topic ? Anyone seen the new Ipad calibration app for the 2013 Panasonics. Looks like using an Ipad you can tweak the settings using a visual reference on the tablet screen. From the very brief glance I seen of the video it looks interesting and I wonder how much difference it will make in the end result. Has anyone heard what models will have this feature ? ZT's ...ZT & VT's , the whole range ?

actually the ipad 3 has very good color filters, very nice saturated color covering 99% rec.709. most people don't have a professionally calibrated display around, but many have an ipad 3. you could do worse for a reference display.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm

ps: not an apple lover or samsung hater. only loyal to my eyeballs and wallet.
post #1007 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I thought the iPad 3 has been discontinued
post #1008 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Not gonna make ANY difference...its just the calibration controls that are on the TV....nothing more.
post #1009 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks yamvmax, didn't see much of the clip and what I did see just kind of looked like a different interface than the on-screen menu. But they show the color space as shown in calibration reports so it made me wonder if there was anything more to it. Makes me wonder why they would spend time and money on it. Lets build an app that does exactly the same thing as the remote and on screen menu... BUT lets make it look pretty LOL
post #1010 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Rogo,

I know you usually hit CES IIRC on seeing that statement. What are your thoughts on the F8500 and ZT? Forgive if I missed it already. Im looking at upgrading from a GT30 this year.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1011 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Rogo,

I know you usually hit CES IIRC on seeing that statement. What are your thoughts on the F8500 and ZT? Forgive if I missed it already. Im looking at upgrading from a GT30 this year.

They both looked very nice. I am -- unlike many other people -- unwilling to make very strong statements about superiority based on brief, non-side-by-side demos at CES however.

If you are looking to upgrade this year, I'd wait for both to be available, do the comparisons you can, and seek out some expert reviews.

post #1012 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #1013 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

^^^ No question about making strong statements on a prototype. Lets face it, CES does not have production models.

Sometimes having the engineering sample used at ces (or cedia) can have it's advantages.. I have had them and I got to keep one from the past (which I still have)... wink.gif

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #1014 of 1445 Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #1015 of 1445 Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

They both looked very nice. I am -- unlike many other people -- unwilling to make very strong statements about superiority based on brief, non-side-by-side demos at CES however.

If you are looking to upgrade this year, I'd wait for both to be available, do the comparisons you can, and seek out some expert reviews.

Thanks and understood. Just was curious as to first impression. Ill be waiting on the major reviews and the shootout.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1016 of 1445 Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Instead, you just join the crowd here who buys overpriced TV's. wink.gif
post #1017 of 1445 Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM

To my credit, I didn't exactly pay MSRP. wink.gif
post #1018 of 1445 Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM

I would hope anyone who spends any significant amount of time here doesn't. Well informed is well armed. wink.gif
post #1019 of 1445 Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 211
How high in the mountains do you have to be before plasma sucks more than LCD?

I love plasma but when I get high enough I like LCD!
post #1020 of 1445 Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I''m pretty psyched for the reviews. My prediction, based on past performance and pre-release hype: the zt60 will win black levels, color reproduction, glare reduction, and overall image quality (at least for the purists); the f8500 will be brighter, have more "pop", better noise reduction, have a cleaner more LCD like image, and double as an clothes dryer smile.gif
...and sound like you have a crop duster dusting your house outside. :rimshot:

j/k ;P

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page