post #1171 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

And, doesn't the ST60 also get the new phosphors? If yes to both, then my original question is still out there.

I believe the ST60 does NOT get the new phosphors or processing. I also doubt very much that the VT60 will look any different than the VT50. Maybe with meters, but unlikely with human eyes. I've brought this up before elsewhere, but if the new color system on the VT60 and ZT60 is the bees knees, why can you turn it off in the Menu if you choose? If it enhances PQ............??
Marketing...........???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
5150zx, the red phosphor is always in use regardless of the menu setting (DCI, etc). I believe the red phosphor will make somewhat of a visual improvement.

post #1173 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

5150zx, the red phosphor is always in use regardless of the menu setting (DCI, etc). I believe the red phosphor will make somewhat of a visual improvement.

Alright then. I thought at HDJ, AVJ mentioned it could be turned on or off. As far as 'visual improvement', I'll certainly be interested in results from ISF calibrators as to its effect. Thank you.
post #1174 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Where is all the information about improved video processing on the VT60 coming from? I have read quite a bit about these models and don't remember hearing anything about this. In fact I thought the panel was unchanged and they made very few improvements other than saying the black level may be a bit better (and the red phosphor, which i dont care about). Same for the ST, in that they made few improvements. I do know the ZT60 has been built from the ground up, new panel and all, so the improvements in that model could be substantial including video processing.

I guess If they improved video processing in the VT60 and ZT60 only that would, in a way, account for the huge price differences between those two models and the ST60. I will be very dissapointed if this is the case though because both the VT and ZT are out of my price range...AND to be honest, the video processing on all of last years models was below par for TV's of this caliber. I have seen below average TV's do a better job with resolving HD cable signals in regards to video processing.

The ST is in need of this improvement as well...if it even turns out to be real.
post #1175 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Does not matter who posted what or where the info came from. Once these are released and get reviewed all the speculation will turn to facts. We will have to wait it out frown.gif
post #1176 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What Chris said.

post #1177 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Where is all the information about improved video processing on the VT60 coming from? I have read quite a bit about these models and don't remember hearing anything about this. In fact I thought the panel was unchanged and they made very few improvements other than saying the black level may be a bit better (and the red phosphor, which i dont care about). Same for the ST, in that they made few improvements. I do know the ZT60 has been built from the ground up, new panel and all, so the improvements in that model could be substantial including video processing.

I guess If they improved video processing in the VT60 and ZT60 only that would, in a way, account for the huge price differences between those two models and the ST60. I will be very dissapointed if this is the case though because both the VT and ZT are out of my price range...AND to be honest, the video processing on all of last years models was below par for TV's of this caliber. I have seen below average TV's do a better job with resolving HD cable signals in regards to video processing.

The ST is in need of this improvement as well...if it even turns out to be real.

I totally agree.

post #1178 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone have any thoughts on how the new "3D Motion Remaster" feature on the 2013 Panasonic models will improve 3d performance? I'm in the market for a new panel and want the best possible 3d performance. Will this feature improve 2d motion as well for 2013?
post #1179 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Long time looker - first time poster here! I just recently purchased the P60GT50 at Best Buy for $1799. My question is, I see that Panasonic has the new P60ST60 for $1699 on their website (Pre-Order). I am assuming that Best Buy will have the TV at the same price if not lower. So, I am still within my return policy. Should I return the 60 Inch GT50 and wait for the 60 Inch ST60 to hit the shelves or is it worth it? What is the major differences or the pros to make it worth while to load back up and take it in? Appreciate the help!
post #1180 of 1445 Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbadge View Post

Hello,

Long time looker - first time poster here! I just recently purchased the P60GT50 at Best Buy for $1799. My question is, I see that Panasonic has the new P60ST60 for $1699 on their website (Pre-Order). I am assuming that Best Buy will have the TV at the same price if not lower. So, I am still within my return policy. Should I return the 60 Inch GT50 and wait for the 60 Inch ST60 to hit the shelves or is it worth it? What is the major differences or the pros to make it worth while to load back up and take it in? Appreciate the help!

I decided to wait for the 60ST60 rather than buy a 60GT50 at 1699 myself. I am primarily interested in best PQ for the price, but the ST50 I wanted was all sold out. The GT series had a few extra features, but nothing I really needed. I don't need a 4th HDMI for example. The GT50 is a great set though, with a nice looking design, and the new ST60's aren't expected to be leaps and bounds ahead of it PQ wise.

I would say if you're happy with the picture you have now, forget rolling the dice on a new set and just enjoy the very nice GT50.
psklenar and sheshechic like this.

post #1181 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I'd keep the GT50. Especially if you prefer the physical design. While not definitive, from what's been gathered so far, there's very little if anything at all which the ST60 will have over the GT50.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1182 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Hello,

How much is your time worth? The last thing I would want to do is spend an entire day returning a perfectly working 60" TV(Let’s hope you don't crack the screen somehow on the way there or back) . What if the ST60 has some issues. You are going to spend another day packing it back up and returning it? Not as simple as returning a pair of jeans to Macy's.
post #1183 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

How much is your time worth? The last thing I would want to do is spend an entire day returning a perfectly working 60" TV(Let’s hope you don't crack the screen somehow on the way there or back) . What if the ST60 has some issues. You are going to spend another day packing it back up and returning it? Not as simple as returning a pair of jeans to Macy's.

It's not as hard as you're making it sound either. Best Buy, at least the one here, will come pick it up. So actually, easier than returning a pair of jeans smile.gif

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #1184 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Some one has to be there waiting for that crack precision BB team to show up. I'm all about what is the highest utility of time. Most of us blow off time as a value even though there are only so many minutes in a day and hours in a life -- that has no guarantees of a tomorrow.
sheshechic likes this.
post #1185 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Oh I'm far from a bb guy, trust me! Lol
Just sayin it's not as difficult as the previous poster made it out to be.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #1186 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
According to this article the VT60 does not get the new red phosphor; only the ZT gets that feature. The article refers to the VT model, wich was the previous flagship, as a mid-range model!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/panasonics-2013-plasma-tv-line-up/

"The truth is out there!"
post #1187 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

According to this article the VT60 does not get the new red phosphor; only the ZT gets that feature. The article refers to the VT model, wich was the previous flagship, as a mid-range model!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/panasonics-2013-plasma-tv-line-up/

Article is incorrect.
sheshechic likes this.

post #1188 of 1445 Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM

Liked: 10
I think the question I should ask myself is "Will my wife kill me if I take ANOTHER TV back?" Let me explain:

I was in the market for a new TV. I tell this to my wife (foolishly). Should have done and asked for forgiveness later. She gives me a budget of $1200. I about croak. Where the heck am I going to find the kind of TV that I am wanting for $1200 I say. She doesn't care. That is the budget due to the new house, updates, future baby etc etc. So after doing some research for what I am looking for (60 inch LCD/LED) I go out and buy a Sharp LC-60LE640U. Should have known better due to all the open boxes they had there of those models. I bring it home, set it up and....IT SUCKS! So, beings that is all I can find in my price range for that size that has decent reviews, I jump down to a 55 inch. So I go out and buy a LG 55LM4600. Get it home, hook it up and the picture is a tad odd. So I start looking through the settings and I can't shut the tru motion off so the soap opera effect goes away. I get online and do some research...Guess what? These TV's claim they are 120HZ, but they are actually using a 60HZ panel in them with the tru motion setting to give you a "120HZ" feel. Which means, if you don't like the soap opera effect, you are stuck with it. I even read some people saying the tru motion does nothing in this tv.

Now let me explain why I didn't go with a Plasma in the first place. I wanted to put the TV upstairs. Well we have a TON of windows and it is bright as HELL in there during the day. Plasma was a no go because of that, even though I would have rather had that. Then my wife decides she wants the new TV downstairs. So I say to myself "Self, if that is what she wants, then I am going to take this LG (that I am not happy with anyways) back and look for a plasma. Did I mention that this all went down just in the last few weeks when all the TV's are being turned around for the new models? Well, I go into Best Buy and start looking at TV's to find out THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH OUT OF PLASMAS. So, I go home and do some research and I find the ST50 is a great model for my budget. I get on BB's website and start looking around all the area BB's for these models. They are all out except for one BB who has one open box. This BB is two hours away. I call them that night (not going to make it before they close because of the drive) and ask if it is still there. The rep checked and said it was, but they couldn't hold it. I understand that , no big deal. The next day, I call right before I leave. The guy checks and YUP, still there. So my cousin and I get in the truck, load up my LG 4600 and drive the two hours. I walk into the store with my TV and a customer service rep comes up and I tell him I am here to return the 4600 and pick up the open box ST50 if it is still here (because they couldn't hold it) and he says "Oh yeah, I just seen that in the back a few minutes ago. Follow me and I will grab a dolly to get it" So I walk with him and stop and look at the 50 inch ST50 while he goes and gets my open box tv (Did I say that it was a great price at $970?) Anyways, we wait for about 20 minutes and the rep comes back and says he is still looking to just browse around the store and he would find us. So my cousin and I go over where the TV mounts are and start browsing for one. The next aisle over is a BB employee adding product to the shelves. A few minutes goes by and an unknown BB employee walks up to the guy stocking the shelve (or moving product not sure) and says "Hey there is some guy here looking for that ST50 you put in the back to buy, I talked to Antoine (The guy who greeted me) and he is going to say he couldn't find it". In shock and not sure that my ears heard correctly, I looked at my cousin and said "Did you hear that." and he was like "Yeah I sure did." So 5 minutes passes, and Antoine comes up to me and says "Hey man, sorry I couldn't find that TV, I must have been mistaken"........I went off! Start saying some things that other customers over heard etc etc. The manager comes up and asks whats going on. Explain it all to him and his answer "How about I hook you up with some really discounted items, maybe a blu ray, mount etc and try to find you a tv at another BB" So we start looking at a brand new P60GT50, which is on sale for $1799....Remember my budget is $1200. Well REAL LONG story short and many trips later, I decide to order the GT50 for the $1799 and have it shipped to my nearest BB. Got it the other day. Also walked out of BB with a Rocketfish tv mount for $10 (Brand new) $100 Gift Card, and two free pair of 3D glasses. Had to promise not to call corporate and complain though. And the manager never did admit that the TV was put in the back for the employee,.....WHATEVER the free stuff pretty much made it clear to me it was! So in the end, I got what I wanted and a BETTER TV...and my wife was only a tad upset! LOL.....So moral of the story....As it may be worth my time to return this model and try out the newest model for cheaper....It is not worth my life! I think my wife would kill me if I returned another TV!

Sorry for the long story!!!!

Oh and I did decide after thinking on it for a day to contact Best Buy's 1-800 customer service number. Which the Customer Service guy said that there had been three complaints in two weeks on this same store, for the same exact complaint (not sure for the same TV or now). I can only imagine he wasn't fibbing, as all the complaints would have been around the time they started discounting TV's and changing out old display models etc.
post #1189 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the question I should ask myself is "Will my wife kill me if I take ANOTHER TV back?" Let me explain:

I was in the market for a new TV. I tell this to my wife (foolishly). Should have done and asked for forgiveness later. She gives me a budget of $1200. I about croak. Where the heck am I going to find the kind of TV that I am wanting for $1200 I say. She doesn't care. That is the budget due to the new house, updates, future baby etc etc. So after doing some research for what I am looking for (60 inch LCD/LED) I go out and buy a Sharp LC-60LE640U. Should have known better due to all the open boxes they had there of those models. I bring it home, set it up and....IT SUCKS! So, beings that is all I can find in my price range for that size that has decent reviews, I jump down to a 55 inch. So I go out and buy a LG 55LM4600. Get it home, hook it up and the picture is a tad odd. So I start looking through the settings and I can't shut the tru motion off so the soap opera effect goes away. I get online and do some research...Guess what? These TV's claim they are 120HZ, but they are actually using a 60HZ panel in them with the tru motion setting to give you a "120HZ" feel. Which means, if you don't like the soap opera effect, you are stuck with it. I even read some people saying the tru motion does nothing in this tv.

Now let me explain why I didn't go with a Plasma in the first place. I wanted to put the TV upstairs. Well we have a TON of windows and it is bright as HELL in there during the day. Plasma was a no go because of that, even though I would have rather had that. Then my wife decides she wants the new TV downstairs. So I say to myself "Self, if that is what she wants, then I am going to take this LG (that I am not happy with anyways) back and look for a plasma. Did I mention that this all went down just in the last few weeks when all the TV's are being turned around for the new models? Well, I go into Best Buy and start looking at TV's to find out THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH OUT OF PLASMAS. So, I go home and do some research and I find the ST50 is a great model for my budget. I get on BB's website and start looking around all the area BB's for these models. They are all out except for one BB who has one open box. This BB is two hours away. I call them that night (not going to make it before they close because of the drive) and ask if it is still there. The rep checked and said it was, but they couldn't hold it. I understand that , no big deal. The next day, I call right before I leave. The guy checks and YUP, still there. So my cousin and I get in the truck, load up my LG 4600 and drive the two hours. I walk into the store with my TV and a customer service rep comes up and I tell him I am here to return the 4600 and pick up the open box ST50 if it is still here (because they couldn't hold it) and he says "Oh yeah, I just seen that in the back a few minutes ago. Follow me and I will grab a dolly to get it" So I walk with him and stop and look at the 50 inch ST50 while he goes and gets my open box tv (Did I say that it was a great price at $970?) Anyways, we wait for about 20 minutes and the rep comes back and says he is still looking to just browse around the store and he would find us. So my cousin and I go over where the TV mounts are and start browsing for one. The next aisle over is a BB employee adding product to the shelves. A few minutes goes by and an unknown BB employee walks up to the guy stocking the shelve (or moving product not sure) and says "Hey there is some guy here looking for that ST50 you put in the back to buy, I talked to Antoine (The guy who greeted me) and he is going to say he couldn't find it". In shock and not sure that my ears heard correctly, I looked at my cousin and said "Did you hear that." and he was like "Yeah I sure did." So 5 minutes passes, and Antoine comes up to me and says "Hey man, sorry I couldn't find that TV, I must have been mistaken"........I went off! Start saying some things that other customers over heard etc etc. The manager comes up and asks whats going on. Explain it all to him and his answer "How about I hook you up with some really discounted items, maybe a blu ray, mount etc and try to find you a tv at another BB" So we start looking at a brand new P60GT50, which is on sale for $1799....Remember my budget is $1200. Well REAL LONG story short and many trips later, I decide to order the GT50 for the $1799 and have it shipped to my nearest BB. Got it the other day. Also walked out of BB with a Rocketfish tv mount for $10 (Brand new) $100 Gift Card, and two free pair of 3D glasses. Had to promise not to call corporate and complain though. And the manager never did admit that the TV was put in the back for the employee,.....WHATEVER the free stuff pretty much made it clear to me it was! So in the end, I got what I wanted and a BETTER TV...and my wife was only a tad upset! LOL.....So moral of the story....As it may be worth my time to return this model and try out the newest model for cheaper....It is not worth my life! I think my wife would kill me if I returned another TV!

Sorry for the long story!!!!

Oh and I did decide after thinking on it for a day to contact Best Buy's 1-800 customer service number. Which the Customer Service guy said that there had been three complaints in two weeks on this same store, for the same exact complaint (not sure for the same TV or now). I can only imagine he wasn't fibbing, as all the complaints would have been around the time they started discounting TV's and changing out old display models etc.

Moral of the story: Blackmail is not always a bad thing rolleyes.gif! LOL!

post #1190 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Article is incorrect.

Not according to this Panasonic product sheet. Note that it shows the 98% DCI Color Space for the ZT but not the VT. So, do you have something more convincing than just your opinion?

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us2013_plasma/index.html

post #1191 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Not according to this Panasonic product sheet. Note that it shows the 98% DCI Color Space for the ZT but not the VT. So, do you have something more convincing than just your opinion?

Well Gregg Lee said it does:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151218070234677&set=vb.107818673444&type=2&theater

post #1192 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

An "insider" from Panasonic said it has it.
sheshechic likes this.
post #1193 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. A very reliable insider.

post #1194 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Is BBY the only retailer of flagship panels, such as the ZT60, which offers long term zero % credit? With rates so low, creditors are able to offer free money. I guess BBY has the scale necessary to work this out with a financial institution?

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #1195 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Panasonic's 3D models always use a panel that has fast-switching phosphors, and since the ST60 is re-using last year's ST50/GT50/VT50 panel module (which has fast-switching phosphors) it has to be just an accidental omission.

Many online retailer sites such as Amazon very often have incorrect information listed in their Technical Specifications pages. This happens every year. Don't take anything you read on retailers' information pages as gospel - verify it on Panasonic's website or in the online owners manual for the model in question.

If its the same panel as last year does that mean it will probably still have the same subpar HD Cable tv (720) picture last years models suffered from?
post #1196 of 1445 Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

If its the same panel as last year does that mean it will probably still have the same subpar HD Cable tv (720) picture last years models suffered from?
The panel has nothing to do with scaling 720p to 1080p. That's an image processing task.
post #1197 of 1445 Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Does anyone know if you will be able to disable the new home screen feature? I can see some in my family using it, but for me I'd rather it go straight to a source so I can watch that source instantly.I can't imagine they would not let you disable it.
post #1198 of 1445 Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. A very reliable insider.

So either Panasonic did include the 98% DCI feature in the VT60 and doesn't want to advertise it because it weakens the list of upgrade features that justify the higher price of the ZT60..., or..., the "insider" was just mistaken in the video since he is, after all, human. So can we get a definitive call and preferably in writing, from Panasonic?

post #1199 of 1445 Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

So either Panasonic did include the 98% DCI feature in the VT60 and doesn't want to advertise it because it weakens the list of upgrade features that justify the higher price of the ZT60..., or..., the "insider" was just mistaken in the video since he is, after all, human. So can we get a definitive call and preferably in writing, from Panasonic?

Why are you being so adversarial and persistent about this? You were told that the article is incorrect (as so many are), and you were told that the Panasonic Insider said the VT60 has the red phosphor (he said it some time ago in his Insider thread over at HDJ), and Greg Lee also said so in the video. It's pretty clear that it has the red phosphor. What's the big deal?

Also, it doesn't look like full specs and details have been released for the VT60 and ZT60 so maybe the early info that's currently available is somewhat incomplete.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1200 of 1445 Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL You're looking funny now.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page