AVS Forum banner
215K views 1K replies 253 participants last post by  dsmith901 
#1 ·
Better black levels?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1ffb0  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22255103

Better black levels?

Nothing. Panasonic will quit making the plasma all together. They will focus on LED/LCD TV's with motion blur, 1,000inches wide, and so bright that you need sun glasses to watch.

Reactions: Tazishere
#5 ·
I think Panasonic is tired of losing money. They will focus their inovation to more profitable technology like OLED. Even LCD isn't profitable.

As a plasma owner since 2005, I am made my final plasma purchase this year. I'm waiting for my Panasonic GT 55 inch from Amazon soon. This will have to do until OLED prices come down to at least half of what we are hearing they will start at. I'm not so rich that I can become an early adopter for OLED. That's why I purchased this year. It will have to last me for at least 5-6 years. I honestly can't think of any reason to wait for a "new and improved Plasma".

#7 ·
I have a feeling we won't see new plasma TVs from Panasonic and the 2013 models will be basically the same as 2012. They are losing tons of money. I paid 5 Gs for my 50" 7 years old 720p . Quality doesn't come cheap and that's why Pioneer gave up on plasma TVs few years ago. People want cheap stuff , they will get cheap stuff.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22256408

I have a feeling we won't see new plasma TVs from Panasonic and the 2013 models will be basically the same as 2012. They are losing tons of money. I paid 5 Gs for my 50" 7 years old 720p . Quality doesn't come cheap and that's why Pioneer gave up on plasma TVs few years ago. People want cheap stuff , they will get cheap stuff.

I thought plasma was profitable and that lcd lost money.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22257515

If Panasonic came with absolute blacks year 2013, I could wait for Oled a little longer...

they'll never use the kuro tech they have. why improve things when you can tweak existing models slightly for little cost and still beat the competition in terms of picture quality.

#14 ·
Sony and Sharp are also swimming in red ink just like Panasonic is, yet neither of these companies even make Plasma TVs. Consumer demand for TVs is low this year and all manufacturers are seeing reduced TV sales compared to previous years on Plasma and LCD TVs.

These company's losses have more to do with the value of the Yen compared to the Korean currency, and the culture of the Japanese companies being much different than that of the Korean companies. The buying public wants cheap crap and the better companies are losing sales to it.

Reactions: agkss
#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22262199

Sony and Sharp are also swimming in red ink just like Panasonic is, yet neither of these companies even make Plasma TVs. Consumer demand for TVs is low this year and all manufacturers are seeing reduced TV sales compared to previous years on Plasma and LCD TVs.

These company's losses have more to do with the value of the Yen compared to the Korean currency, and the culture of the Japanese companies being much different than that of the Korean companies. The buying public wants cheap crap and the better companies are losing sales to it.

Not exactly correct Randy. Panasonic already has a Plasma exit strategy. You were told that before by D Nice: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1394606/panasonic-2012-plasmas-are-there-sizes-greater-than-70-coming-out#post_21686208

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22262430

AVJ on HDJ says Panasonic will be making plasmas for several more years.

If they are bleeding red ink so bad, it doesn't really make any business sense for them to continue on. Why in the world would any company continue to manufacture a product they are losing money on?

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22262437

If they are bleeding red ink so bad, it doesn't really make any business sense for them to continue on. Why in the world would any company continue to manufacture a product they are losing money on?
The same was said on the XBox and Playstation and yet they still make them and as with other companies that make other products they use the profit leaders to help balance out the loss.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22262442

The same was said on the XBox and Playstation and yet they still make them and as with other companies that make other products they use the profit leaders to help balance out the loss.

They most likely made a lot of money selling proprietary software. The same can't be said for a tv. You buy a tv and that's the end of the matter.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22262455

They most likely made a lot of money selling proprietary software. The same can't be said for a tv. You buy a tv and that's the end of the matter.

Plasma will be here for a while. I'm glad because LCD leaves much to be desired.

Reactions: ATC7 and boe
#21 ·
If plasma was more profitable than LCD , Sony and others would not have give up on them. Whith the Koreans and Chineses in the market it is very tough for Panasonic to be profitable. Some companies announced they will no longer make TVs. Cheap is beaultiful but can have some downside as well.

I hope Panasonic keeps the plasmas alive, I can't watch LCD and probably can't afford OLED in large sizes.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22262381

Not exactly correct Randy. Panasonic already has a Plasma exit strategy. You were told that before by D Nice:

He wasn't talking to me but we already know they have an exit strategy - they've had one for years and they should have an exit strategy to plan for various eventualities - but that doesn't mean they're going to use that exit strategy anytime soon.

The question is - will they ever exit the PDP business? And if so, will it be in 2 years or 5 years or 10 years? Or will they continue making PDP alongside OLED until OLED becomes cheaper to manufacture and sell several years down the line?

Another potential problem with Plasma tech is that last year, raw phosphor became a scare commodity and manufacturers were having a hard time getting raw material. Philips Lighting was heavily backordered on flourescent tubes for about a month because they couldn't get phosphor (they owed us over a million 4ft tubes), then when they aquired material and resumed production the price of the tubes had almost doubled and today they are still about 50% higher than they were this time last year.

Reactions: mfrey0118
#23 ·
If we're talking what we can expect from a picture quality standpoint, all they need to do is get the black level below a 9.5G Kuro and OLED will be a lot less interesting. I think it's possible next year that they can hit 9G blacks, which at this point will be amazing just from a price standpoint with 60" ST60s at under 2k.

It seems that 2014/15, depending on various factors, is the year when they're supposed to have plasma tech that is a game changer (I'm guessing they have a zero black technology that they've been working on).

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22263021

If we're talking what we can expect from a picture quality standpoint, all they need to do is get the black level below a 9.5G Kuro and OLED will be a lot less interesting. I think it's possible next year that they can hit 9G blacks, which at this point will be amazing just from a price standpoint with 60" ST60s at under 2k.

It seems that 2014/15, depending on various factors, is the year when they're supposed to have plasma tech that is a game changer (I'm guessing they have a zero black technology that they've been working on).

That would definitively be interesting...

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx  /t/1422082/what-can-we-expect-from-2013-panasonic-plasmas#post_22261957

they'll never use the kuro tech they have. why improve things when you can tweak existing models slightly for little cost and still beat the competition in terms of picture quality.

I'm afraid you are right. But it would be interesting to see what would happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.