Where have all the 42 inch (approx.) Plasma gone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I want to upgrade from a 32 inch LCD to a 42 inch plasma, mainly to get a larger TV (so I can actually see the wording on the screen) and because I think plasma is better. I don't think I convince the wife to go much bigger than this, since we have a 92 inch screen (and 7.2 channels) and projector downstairs. She wants something "smaller" in the living room.

The trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding 42 inch plasmas. Do they exist any more? If so, can anyone recommend a TV (and a retailer)?

An example of a TV I'd buy immediately if I could find one:

Panasonic TC-P42UT50

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
BriscoCountyJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yeah in 2012 the 42" size was discontinued on all but very low end 720p plasma models.
The 42UT50 was discontinued very early on this year, so finding one now leftover would be tough.

New plasmas effectively start at 50" size now, you would have to go with LCD/LED for sizes smaller than that, they have 40" and 46" sizes.
Unless you can find a deal on a leftover or used 2011 (or older) plasma model someplace.\

I have a new 50" Panasonic 50ST50 plasma for my primary media room now, but also have a secondary smaller Samsung 32" LCD TV in another room.
The Samsung has excellent picture quality and black levels, so I could recommend that to you for a smaller set in sizes up to 40" or 46"
BriscoCountyJr is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
msantti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Samsung has the PN43E450 which is a 43" plasma.

Great set at $399 IMO.
msantti is offline  
post #4 of 49 Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Samsung has the PN43E450 which is a 43" plasma.
Great set at $399 IMO.

Thank you both. That does seem like a nice TV, and these have really come down in price! I bought my current 32 inch (really, more like 30 inch) LCD TV for $800, and this plasma is half that!

This TV also meets the requirement I have of having an optical output.

Thank you very much.

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
post #5 of 49 Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
sonyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Thank you both. That does seem like a nice TV, and these have really come down in price! I bought my current 32 inch (really, more like 30 inch) LCD TV for $800, and this plasma is half that!
This TV also meets the requirement I have of having an optical output.
Thank you very much.

Your picture will improve as the break in
continues and the heat level goes way down.

This works great on my E450.

Mode - Movie
Cell Light 20
Brightness 50 daytime / 40 for evening and 35 for a dark room (Blacks look amazing at 35!
Contrast 100 daytime / 98 for evening and 93 for a dark room
Sharpness 0
Color 55
R/G Tint 50/50
Color Space - Native
Gamma -1 at night ( 0 at day
Dynamic Contrast - off
Black Tone - Darkest
Flesh Tone - 0
Color Tone - Warm1
Size - Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter - Off

I have tried different settings but always come back to these.
White Balance Calibration
Thanks to 'CTM Audi'.
RO - 21
GO - 28
BO - 22
RG - 20
GG - 27
BG - 23
sonyfan is offline  
post #6 of 49 Old 07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I want to upgrade from a 32 inch LCD to a 42 inch plasma, mainly to get a larger TV (so I can actually see the wording on the screen) and because I think plasma is better. I don't think I convince the wife to go much bigger than this, since we have a 92 inch screen (and 7.2 channels) and projector downstairs. She wants something "smaller" in the living room.
The trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding 42 inch plasmas. Do they exist any more? If so, can anyone recommend a TV (and a retailer)?
An example of a TV I'd buy immediately if I could find one:
Panasonic TC-P42UT50

don't go for a 720p one
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #7 of 49 Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why not a 720p? Do they make 1080p plasma TVs in the 42 inch size? (I don't want to go bigger than about 42 inches.)

Also, I've been reading that plasmas tend to be more reflective than LCD/LED tvs. In real terms, how much does this make a difference? I'll be using this TV in a living room that gets afternoon sun.

Thanks.

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
post #8 of 49 Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Why not a 720p? Do they make 1080p plasma TVs in the 42 inch size? (I don't want to go bigger than about 42 inches.)

Nobody makes a 1080p Plasma under 50 inches anymore. Panasonic made one earlier this year (TC-P42UT50) but they discontinued it early due to lack of interest from all but a few retailers. Sears recently bought up the remaining inventory but those may all be gone by now.


Quote:
Also, I've been reading that plasmas tend to be more reflective than LCD/LED tvs.

Not quite true - some Plasmas have excellent Anti-Reflective Filters while others (the low end models) do not have an AR Filter and are much more reflective. Alternately, up till a few years ago pretty much all of the LCD TVs had non-reflective matte screens but the recent trend with LCD TVs and especially the LED LCD TVs is that they now have glossy non-matte screens to add Plasma-like depth, but that results in them being even more reflective than most of the Plasmas are. There are very few current LCD or LED LCD TVs with matte screens this year.

All of the 2012 Samsung and Panasonic Plasmas in the 42" size have glossy reflective screens. If you need it to have an AR Filter, you'll have to bump it up to a 50" Panny ST50/GT50 or 51" Sammy E6500/E7000/E8000 Plasma.


Quote:
In real terms, how much does this make a difference? I'll be using this TV in a living room that gets afternoon sun.

Afternoon sun has always been challenging for any TV (even Plasmas with AR Filters and even matte-screen LCD TVs) but obviously it's worse with tube TVs, and those Plasma and LED/LCD models that do not have AR Filters or matte screens. Current Plasmas are bright enough to punch through the light in a bright room if you're watching sports, but during dark scenes of a movie etc a glossy screened TV will be reflective like a dark mirror.

Reflectivity is a mixed bag these days - it's hard to tell from websites and forums if a particular TV will be too reflective for a particular room or environment so it's important to go to stores and look at the screen of any TV you're considering and see if it has a glossy screen or not, and examine how it handles bright overhead lighting, banks of storefront windows or other TV screens behind you both during bright and dark scenes. But in the end, if a room is excessively bright then any TV will look poor to some extent or another.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #9 of 49 Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Why not a 720p? Do they make 1080p plasma TVs in the 42 inch size? (I don't want to go bigger than about 42 inches.)
Also, I've been reading that plasmas tend to be more reflective than LCD/LED tvs. In real terms, how much does this make a difference? I'll be using this TV in a living room that gets afternoon sun.
Thanks.

I recommend 1080p sets only. If you want a set under 50", go for LED/LCD. If you want a 50" or larger set, go for plasma.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Nobody makes a 1080p Plasma under 50 inches anymore. Panasonic made one earlier this year (TC-P42UT50) but they discontinued it early due to lack of interest from all but a few retailers. Sears recently bought up the remaining inventory but those may all be gone by now.
Not quite true - some Plasmas have excellent Anti-Reflective Filters while others (the low end models) do not have an AR Filter and are much more reflective. Alternately, up till a few years ago pretty much all of the LCD TVs had non-reflective matte screens but the recent trend with LCD TVs and especially the LED LCD TVs is that they now have glossy non-matte screens to add Plasma-like depth, but that results in them being even more reflective than most of the Plasmas are. There are very few current LCD or LED LCD TVs with matte screens this year.
All of the 2012 Samsung and Panasonic Plasmas in the 42" size have glossy reflective screens. If you need it to have an AR Filter, you'll have to bump it up to a 50" Panny ST50/GT50 or 51" Sammy E6500/E7000/E8000 Plasma.
Afternoon sun has always been challenging for any TV (even Plasmas with AR Filters and even matte-screen LCD TVs) but obviously it's worse with tube TVs, and those Plasma and LED/LCD models that do not have AR Filters or matte screens. Current Plasmas are bright enough to punch through the light in a bright room if you're watching sports, but during dark scenes of a movie etc a glossy screened TV will be reflective like a dark mirror.
Reflectivity is a mixed bag these days - it's hard to tell from websites and forums if a particular TV will be too reflective for a particular room or environment so it's important to go to stores and look at the screen of any TV you're considering and see if it has a glossy screen or not, and examine how it handles bright overhead lighting, banks of storefront windows or other TV screens behind you both during bright and dark scenes. But in the end, if a room is excessively bright then any TV will look poor to some extent or another.

Regarding screen coatings/filters, the plasmas with dark screen/filter technology are best for viewing in moderate to bright lighting as they hold contrast ratio and black level much better than cheaper sets that don't have this technology. For example, the ST50 has dark screen tech but the UT50 does not. Sets like the ST50 are just as good for bright room viewing as glossy LED/LCD sets.

Matte screen LED/LCD sets, however, are the best in bright lighting (as they not only maintain contrast ratio and black levels in bright ambient light but also minimize reflections). There are also semi-matte/semi-glossy LED/LCD sets, which are a hybrid of the glossy and matte screen coatings.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #11 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I recommend 1080p sets only. If you want a set under 50", go for LED/LCD. If you want a 50" or larger set, go for plasma.

Why do you recommend 1080p sets only? I have a 720p projector that shoots onto a 92 inch high power screen, and I think the picture is fantastic. That's in a light controlled room with matte walls though. By contrast, the TV I'll be purchasing is in a living room that gets afternoon sun in the summer. And I sit about 14 feet away from the TV (which is about five feet further than I sit from my 92 inch screen, by the way).

So, if I like the picture on my 92 inch screen where I sit about 9 feet away from the screen and I use 720p, why do I need a 1080p TV where I sit 14 feet away for a 42 inch screen?

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
post #12 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Regarding screen coatings/filters, the plasmas with dark screen/filter technology are best for viewing in moderate to bright lighting as they hold contrast ratio and black level much better than cheaper sets that don't have this technology. For example, the ST50 has dark screen tech but the UT50 does not. Sets like the ST50 are just as good for bright room viewing as glossy LED/LCD sets.
Matte screen LED/LCD sets, however, are the best in bright lighting (as they not only maintain contrast ratio and black levels in bright ambient light but also minimize reflections). There are also semi-matte/semi-glossy LED/LCD sets, which are a hybrid of the glossy and matte screen coatings.

Thank you. I'll keep this in mind as I search for TVs.

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Why do you recommend 1080p sets only? I have a 720p projector that shoots onto a 92 inch high power screen, and I think the picture is fantastic. That's in a light controlled room with matte walls though. By contrast, the TV I'll be purchasing is in a living room that gets afternoon sun in the summer. And I sit about 14 feet away from the TV (which is about five feet further than I sit from my 92 inch screen, by the way).
So, if I like the picture on my 92 inch screen where I sit about 9 feet away from the screen and I use 720p, why do I need a 1080p TV where I sit 14 feet away for a 42 inch screen?

I suppose you don't need 1080p since like you mentioned 720p can still produce a great picture. However, 1080p is about twice the resolution of 720p (2 megapixels vs. 1 megapixel). The larger the screen and the closer you sit to it the more obvious this difference will become. Even with a 42" set, sitting 5 ft or closer will make the difference between the two resolutions quite obvious. For example, when watching HDTV on my 42" 1080p LG LCD TV, I can easily notice that 720p channels are not nearly as sharp or clear as 1080i channels. 720p video games on the PS3 have noticeably more jagged edges than 1080p ones and the picture doesn't look as clear either. For maximum sharpness and clarity, 1080p sets offer twice the resolution of 720p sets.

1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600


1280 x 720 = 921,600

44.4% the resolution of 1080p


1024 x 768 = 786,432

38% the resolution of 1080p


As you can see, what passes for 720p on a 42" plasma currently (1024 by 768) is only 38% the resolution of 1080p. You will notice this difference unless you sit very far away from your 42" set. I see you have mentioned you will sit 14' from your 42" set, but I would say that is much too far away. I sit 5' or less from mine and in reality, I could actually go for a 46" or 47" set at this viewing distance.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #14 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Member
 
eeee87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I suppose you don't need 1080p since like you mentioned 720p can still produce a great picture. However, 1080p is about twice the resolution of 720p (2 megapixels vs. 1 megapixel). The larger the screen and the closer you sit to it the more obvious this difference will become. Even with a 42" set, sitting 5 ft or closer will make the difference between the two resolutions quite obvious. For example, when watching HDTV on my 42" 1080p LG LCD TV, I can easily notice that 720p channels are not nearly as sharp or clear as 1080i channels. 720p video games on the PS3 have noticeably more jagged edges than 1080p ones and the picture doesn't look as clear either. For maximum sharpness and clarity, 1080p sets offer twice the resolution of 720p sets.
1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600
1280 x 720 = 921,600
44.4% the resolution of 1080p
1024 x 768 = 786,432
38% the resolution of 1080p
As you can see, what passes for 720p on a 42" plasma currently (1024 by 768) is only 38% the resolution of 1080p. You will notice this difference unless you sit very far away from your 42" set. I see you have mentioned you will sit 14' from your 42" set, but I would say that is much too far away. I sit 5' or less from mine and in reality, I could actually go for a 46" or 47" set at this viewing distance.

nonsense..
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241
eeee87 is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I suppose you don't need 1080p since like you mentioned 720p can still produce a great picture. However, 1080p is about twice the resolution of 720p (2 megapixels vs. 1 megapixel). The larger the screen and the closer you sit to it the more obvious this difference will become. Even with a 42" set, sitting 5 ft or closer will make the difference between the two resolutions quite obvious. For example, when watching HDTV on my 42" 1080p LG LCD TV, I can easily notice that 720p channels are not nearly as sharp or clear as 1080i channels. 720p video games on the PS3 have noticeably more jagged edges than 1080p ones and the picture doesn't look as clear either. For maximum sharpness and clarity, 1080p sets offer twice the resolution of 720p sets.
1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600
1280 x 720 = 921,600
44.4% the resolution of 1080p
1024 x 768 = 786,432
38% the resolution of 1080p
As you can see, what passes for 720p on a 42" plasma currently (1024 by 768) is only 38% the resolution of 1080p. You will notice this difference unless you sit very far away from your 42" set. I see you have mentioned you will sit 14' from your 42" set, but I would say that is much too far away. I sit 5' or less from mine and in reality, I could actually go for a 46" or 47" set at this viewing distance.


Your point is well taken, however, you're not looking at the whole picture. ( No pun intended biggrin.gif) There is more to detail then just the static resolution of which you speak of. Unlike computer screens, which more often then not display fixed images, TV's have to produce moving images for the most part. Moving and visual resolution have a profound effect on detail since they are governed by bandwidth, contrast, color saturation, gray scale and the ability for a TV (and it's source) to display moving images accurately. The award winning 2008 Pioneer PDP-428XG KURO had a mere static resolution of 1024X768 pixels and yet will probably out perform many 1080p sets of today. When it comes to HDTV, it doesn't matter if you have over 2 million pixels or less then 900,000 if you can't display half of them cleanly. I have a 720p PDP and regardless of it's source , it still beats my 1080p LCD when it comes down to over all picture quality.


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1066429/moving-picture-resolution


http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #16 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
sonyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
mailiang that was a great point you make.
You explain it better than I can.

Plus look at all the 720 Pioneer KURO 5080 that were sold.
Rave reviews and happy buyers.
But oh, how can that be it's only a 720?
sonyfan is offline  
post #17 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
We all like to justify what we purchase but the simple fact if you supply 1080i/p source and your set is native 720/768p it will have to scale it down you do not get the whole enchilada and yes I still have my 42 panny plasma 768p and my new 55ST50 trumps it in ever aspect .
oztech is offline  
post #18 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Your point is well taken, however, you're not looking at the whole picture. ( No pun intended biggrin.gif) There is more to detail then just the static resolution of which you speak of. Unlike computer screens, which more often then not display fixed images, TV's have to produce moving images for the most part. Moving and visual resolution have a profound effect on detail since they are governed by bandwidth, contrast, color saturation, gray scale and the ability for a TV (and it's source) to display moving images accurately. The award winning 2008 Pioneer PDP-428XG KURO had a mere static resolution of 1024X768 pixels and yet will probably out perform many 1080p sets of today. When it comes to HDTV, it doesn't matter if you have over 2 million pixels or less then 900,000 if you can't display half of them cleanly. I have a 720p PDP and regardless of it's source , it still beats my 1080p LCD when it comes down to over all picture quality.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1066429/moving-picture-resolution
http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/
Ian

simply put, all else being equal, a 1080p set will have a sharper and clearer picture than a 720p set

and since all 720p sets at this point are entry-level only, they will not only have less resolution but worse overall PQ as well


so, even if some old 720p sets could outperform some old 1080p sets, that's not the case with the current 720p plasmas vs. current 1080p plasmas

all the best plasmas this year are 1080p: Panasonic ST/GT/VT50 and Samsung E8000/7000/6500
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #19 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

We all like to justify what we purchase but the simple fact if you supply 1080i/p source and your set is native 720/768p it will have to scale it down you do not get the whole enchilada and yes I still have my 42 panny plasma 768p and my new 55ST50 trumps it in ever aspect .

yes, thank you
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #20 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee87 View Post

nonsense..
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

it's simple math
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #21 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dierkdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Why not a 720p?......

Why not indeed?

It is not as easy to recommend a "720p" panel as it was even a few years ago, but that has less to do with resolution than with the fact - as others have noted - that 720s have been relegated to the entry models, and thus miss out on many of the newer features & technology.

We have a 42" 1024x768p set, a 50" 1366x768p set, and a 60" 1080p set (ST50): the black levels on the ST trumps the other two sets, but this is most noticeable when viewing letterboxed material (barring an actual side-by-side comparison). Certainly, a trained, or "critical" viewer could well see a distinction between the panels without having them side-by-side, but the vast majority of viewers simply cannot: everyone who has viewed the 50 - and did not otherwise know differently - has ASSUMED it was a 1080p panel.

OTOH, will admit "SDE" IS somewhat more apparent on the 42" set if you view from a close distance, but this seems more due to the 1024 horizontal than the 768 vertical. From 8 - 9 feet, the set looks just fine - much closer, and it will depend upon one's eyesight & how finicky they are... wink.gif
Dierkdr is offline  
post #22 of 49 Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

simply put, all else being equal, a 1080p set will have a sharper and clearer picture than a 720p set
and since all 720p sets at this point are entry-level only, they will not only have less resolution but worse overall PQ as well
so, even if some old 720p sets could outperform some old 1080p sets, that's not the case with the current 720p plasmas vs. current 1080p plasmas
all the best plasmas this year are 1080p: Panasonic ST/GT/VT50 and Samsung E8000/7000/6500


My point was very simple. There has been too much weight put on static resolution. It has been used as marketing tool ever since the advent of HD and yet it's the least important aspect of picture quality according to the ISF. I have seen 1080p LCD panels that looked like crap. However, I do concur that the current line of 720p plasmas are of lower quality, which is likely due to a trend that advocates replacing better processors and panels for more features on a product that cost less.



Cheers2.gif
Cheers!


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #23 of 49 Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

.... look at all the 720 Pioneer KURO 5080 that were sold.
Rave reviews and happy buyers. But oh, how can that be it's only a 720?

Well way back when the 5080 was first being sold all the other 50" Plasmas were still "720p" as well so there were no 1080p Plasmas to compare them to. The 5080 was a high end set and it had better processing and better colors and better black levels than all the other "720p" Plasmas so yes it got rave reviews. It was one of the best "720p" Plasmas ever made, and it was the last good "720p" Plasma ever made. Every "720p" ever since has paled in comparison - 1080p became the new standard with all the manufacturers. "720p" was relegated to entry level models with inferior colors and inferior processing.

But like all the other Plasmas of that era, the otherwise excellent 5080 was crippled by the dreaded SDE. SDE was a way of life back then, and i was one of the big complainers about it on my 42" PX50U. I came very close to buying a Pioneer 4280 several times in early 2007 but despite it's great colors and excellent processing the one single reason why i didn't buy one is because i could see the pixel structure (SDE) at my 9 foot viewing distance. It was unacceptable and it was a deal breaker. Still is.

A few months later Panasonic released their first 42" and 50" 1080p models (the PZ700U series) and the difference/improvement in screen smoothness was astounding. I ended up buying my 42PZ700U instead of the 4280 based solely on it's 1080p screen. Now if my viewing distance were 12 feet instead of 9 feet, i would have been beyond the range that SDE is visible to me and i would have bought the 4280.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #24 of 49 Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

My point was very simple. There has been too much weight put on static resolution. It has been used as marketing tool ever since the advent of HD and yet it's the least important aspect of picture quality according to the ISF. I have seen 1080p LCD panels that looked like crap. However, I do concur that the current line of 720p plasmas are of lower quality, which is likely due to a trend that advocates replacing better processors and panels for more features on a product that cost less.
Cheers2.gif
Cheers!
Ian

This was my main point with my last post. Even if the resolution difference doesn't matter to you (it does for me and some others), the fact that all current 720p models are entry-level is generally a deal breaker for someone looking for the best overall PQ. For example, you won't find the dark screen filters on entry-level models, which means CR and blacks will wash out under direct ambient light.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #25 of 49 Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
homerging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Panasonic is selling a P42ST50 outside the US and was selling a P42VT30 in their 2011 lineup. You could import from overseas if you're desperate and don't care about costs. rolleyes.gif

Edit: looks like there's a P42GT50 in Europe too.
homerging is offline  
post #26 of 49 Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

Panasonic is selling a P42ST50 outside the US and was selling a P42VT30 in their 2011 lineup. You could import from overseas if you're desperate and don't care about costs. rolleyes.gif

Why pay more for a 1080p 42" when you can get a 1080p 50" instead? I'd say find a way to make the 50" fit.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #27 of 49 Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

But like all the other Plasmas of that era, the otherwise excellent 5080 was crippled by the dreaded SDE. SDE was a way of life back then, and i was one of the big complainers about it on my 42" PX50U. I came very close to buying a Pioneer 4280 several times in early 2007 but despite it's great colors and excellent processing the one single reason why i didn't buy one is because i could see the pixel structure (SDE) at my 9 foot viewing distance. It was unacceptable and it was a deal breaker. Still is.
A few months later Panasonic released their first 42" and 50" 1080p models (the PZ700U series) and the difference/improvement in screen smoothness was astounding. I ended up buying my 42PZ700U instead of the 4280 based solely on it's 1080p screen. Now if my viewing distance were 12 feet instead of 9 feet, i would have been beyond the range that SDE is visible to me and i would have bought the 4280.

My wife's brother in law has a 42'' Panny C1 hooked up to Compcast. I watch TV with him quite frequently and we never sit more then 10 feet away from the screen. We both wear prescription glasses, and mine is for TV viewing. We never notice the pixel structure on his set. Randy, either you have Superman vision or we need our eyes check!


Superman.gif



Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #28 of 49 Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
At this point, there are no downsides to getting a 1080p set instead of a 720p one. So, why opt for a 720p one unless you really want to keep costs really low? I guess I don't understand why anyone would want a 720p set at this point when so many 1080p sets are available at very affordable prices.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #29 of 49 Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

At this point, there are no downsides to getting a 1080p set instead of a 720p one. So, why opt for a 720p one unless you really want to keep costs really low? I guess I don't understand why anyone would want a 720p set at this point when so many 1080p sets are available at very affordable prices.


That may be so, but if given the choice between a 40/42'' 1080p LCD or a 42'' 720p PDP, I think you know what my answer would be. wink.gif




Cheers2.gif
Cheers!


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #30 of 49 Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

That may be so, but if given the choice between a 40/42'' 1080p LCD or a 42'' 720p PDP, I think you know what my answer would be. wink.gif
Cheers2.gif
Cheers!
Ian

I understand, though if it was me I'd get a good LCD instead. For example, last year's Samsung LED/LCDs had great black levels and contrast ratios, equivalent to last year's Samsung plasmas.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off