Has Amazon's white glove delivery policy changed for large screen plasmas?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am expecting a delivery of a Panasonic 60ST50 plasma monday. I just received an email from Pilot Freight services on what to expect and not expect

Your TV delivery will be completed by a representative of Pilot Freight Services. Here is what the service entails:
1. The representative will deliver your TV into whichever room in your home is suitable for testing the TV.
2. They will remove the TV from its packaging.
3. They will test the TV for power and blue screen. Please note: When the outside temperature is below 50 degrees, the power check cannot be performed as the unit must be plugged in only when it comes up to room temperature.

Pilot Freight Services is not authorized to perform the following services:
1. Placement of the TV on an existing stand, table or entertainment center;
2. Assembly of the base of the TV;
3. Hooking the TV up to your cable box for you;
4. Mounting the TV or assemble any wall unit or stand;
5. Moving furniture to gain access to the power outlet. The Pilot representative must have clear access to the power outlet to check if the TV powers up properly.

I was under the impression that Amazon's "white glove service" on such a large TV included two delivery men, and that the attached the TV to the base.
This notification indicates otherwise
I have tried to navigate Amazons site to find their description of white glove delivery, but had no luck, only complicated drop down menus with stock answers.

Is anyone familiar with Amazon's white glove delivery policy, know where that policy is explained on their website or had experience with Pilot Freight Services deliveries?
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 AM

Just took delivery of a 55" 55GT50, I am an Amazon Prime subscriber and you get 4 choices for delivery. The free delivery options are quite confusing, I picked 'Scheduled Delivery' and when ordering had the option to pick a time and date for the delivery (no option for 'White Glove' delivery) so i believe this is equivalent to 'White Glove' delivery - and it was through CEVA.

Reading through the details, this is the option you need to pick that is equivalent to 'White Glove' delivery.

I had two individuals come to the house, bring the television in & install the stand and power on the television for my inspection. Took delivery on the 27th of July and so far so good with the television, and typical delivery (A+++) from Amazon, but unfortunately here in Texas they have started charging sales Tax frown.gif

If you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer please either PM me or post a follow up in question in the thread.

Thanks!
post #3 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreos View Post

I am expecting a delivery of a Panasonic 60ST50 plasma monday. I just received an email from Pilot Freight services on what to expect and not expect
Your TV delivery will be completed by a representative of Pilot Freight Services. Here is what the service entails:
1. The representative will deliver your TV into whichever room in your home is suitable for testing the TV.
2. They will remove the TV from its packaging.
3. They will test the TV for power and blue screen. Please note: When the outside temperature is below 50 degrees, the power check cannot be performed as the unit must be plugged in only when it comes up to room temperature.
Pilot Freight Services is not authorized to perform the following services:
1. Placement of the TV on an existing stand, table or entertainment center;
2. Assembly of the base of the TV;
3. Hooking the TV up to your cable box for you;
4. Mounting the TV or assemble any wall unit or stand;
5. Moving furniture to gain access to the power outlet. The Pilot representative must have clear access to the power outlet to check if the TV powers up properly.
I was under the impression that Amazon's "white glove service" on such a large TV included two delivery men, and that the attached the TV to the base.
This notification indicates otherwise
I have tried to navigate Amazons site to find their description of white glove delivery, but had no luck, only complicated drop down menus with stock answers.
Is anyone familiar with Amazon's white glove delivery policy, know where that policy is explained on their website or had experience with Pilot Freight Services deliveries?
Thanks for your help!

I am a prime Amazon member and they did not put the base together for me

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM

I think it varies by delivery company and probably the delivery men as well. I'm also an Amazon Prime member. CEVA delivered my 50ST50. One of the guys asked if I wanted them to set it up. I said I at least wanted to make sure the set was working. They then took it out of the box, attached it to the base and placed it on my stand. They then proceeded to hook up my cable box via HDMI and then because they saw the cables dangling from behind the set, hooked up my VCR via composite. They then turned oon the set to make sure it had a picture.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreos View Post

I was under the impression that Amazon's "white glove service" on such a large TV included two delivery men, and that the attached the TV to the base. This notification indicates otherwise. I have tried to navigate Amazons site to find their description of white glove delivery, but had no luck, only complicated drop down menus with stock answers. Is anyone familiar with Amazon's white glove delivery policy, know where that policy is explained on their website or had experience with Pilot Freight Services deliveries?

Where did you get the impression that Amazon's delivery method is "White Glove"?? Because they don't offer White Glove service - their TV delivery is called "Enhanced Delivery" and it does not include assembling the stand or placing the TV onto your table or connecting your A/V components like you would get with typical White Glove service from other retailers.

But very often the CEVA delivery guys will help you set the TV up but Pilot drivers are not allowed to, but sometimes they'll help you for a $10 tip.

Amazon's TV Delivery Policy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=510066#tvs

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
From CEVA's website:
Quote:
When we deliver on your behalf we are acting as your brand ambassador. That's why our Smart Home solution is built on a Perfect Delivery concept, assuring delicate handling of your product and respect for your customers' property. It offers different service levels, according to your preference:

to the home - delivery or collection by appointment to or from the first dry place
room of choice - delivery or collection by appointment to or from the room of choice, two-man delivery including one flight of stairs
'white glove' - delivery or collection by appointment to or from the room of choice with a menu of value added in-home services, including:

- unpacking
- packaging removal
- light assembly
- installation/set-up
- instructions

When we ordered a 60ST30 from Amazon in late 2011 (which, of course, is over 6 months ago now), it was clear that the CEVA "white glove" option was what we were to expect - and, indeed, that is what we received - for TWO separate deliveries - although one could certainly quibble as to how much "instruction" was provided!

Youngest son had a similar delivery experience - they live about 20 miles away - but with only a single delivery person for their 55GT30. They live 9 floors up in a high rise apt, but elevators mean there was no need to use any stairs... eek.gif

Apparently Pilot has different delivery rules. It is also possible that Amazon has moved to a "different service level" in order to contain costs....
post #7 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I just had a VT50 delivered by Pilot in the Seattle area. The two guys that showed up did the following:

Unpacked
Attached the TV to the stand.
Moved my old TV off the stand.
Put the new TV on the stand.
Tested the TV with me.
Removed the packing material.

It all went very smoothly.

Looky here!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I just had a VT50 delivered by Pilot in the Seattle area. The two guys that showed up did the following:
Unpacked
Attached the TV to the stand.
Moved my old TV off the stand.
Put the new TV on the stand.
Tested the TV with me.
Removed the packing material.
It all went very smoothly.

Just reading through the various posts about Delivery of a HDTV - on a number of threads - makes it easy to understand why people get Confused, Worried or Upset: Some owners report GREAT Delivery experiences, while others post horror stories seemingly as bad as the delivery guy that TOSSED THE MONITOR over a fence!

Again, it has been 6 months since our last Amazon HDTV delivery, but was pleased (at that time...) to have "White Glove" CONFIRMED by CEVA (the delivery company), AND to be able to find & print off a copy of their "White Glove" service specs - just in case there were any questions when the delivery truck pulled up.

That delivery went very smoothly. So did that for our youngest son. But, so also did the delivery of my brother's Panasonic, which was purchased by Paul's (and delivered by their own crew).

Luck of the draw, perhaps aided by a bit of research / prep....
post #9 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Liked: 11
Mine was delivered by pilot of few weeks ago. I read the same info you posted. When they got here though they unpacked it, mounted it to the base, and set it on my entertainment center without me asking for it. It's all luck of the draw most likely.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned View Post

Mine was delivered by pilot of few weeks ago. I read the same info you posted. When they got here though they unpacked it, mounted it to the base, and set it on my entertainment center without me asking for it. It's all luck of the draw most likely.

I think you're right. There's a long thread over at Amazon that has some interesting stories in it.

Looky here!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page