size considerations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heavily considering this TV. Help me decide on the size.
Currently the seating is about 8-9 foot from the current unit I own which is a 50" sxrd, yeah that one..with the big grey speaker ears.
It's hungry for a bulb again and not working at the moment. Other than that it has a great picture I am happy with. So I have been looking at the 60" but I am worried that it just might be too big for that close? Thinking now I should consider the 55" am I overthinking it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyroman View Post

Heavily considering this TV. Help me decide on the size.
Currently the seating is about 8-9 foot from the current unit I own which is a 50" sxrd, yeah that one..with the big grey speaker ears.
It's hungry for a bulb again and not working at the moment. Other than that it has a great picture I am happy with. So I have been looking at the 60" but I am worried that it just might be too big for that close? Thinking now I should consider the 55" am I overthinking it?

You don't actually write which model it is you're considering but I doubt it matters. I'm 7-8 feet from a 64" and it's awesome for my use which is 95% movies. If you watch TV programming, you might want to consider smaller e.g. 55" since TV shows are usually shot and edited by blind people with ADD. If I watch much more than 30 minutes of anything on cable, my eyes get tired and I start getting a headache. Granted, cable content will do that to you regardless of screen size and viewing distance...

So, for movie-watching (HD) I'd say you can't go too big. If you're unfortunate enough to watch TV, you should probably audition different sizes in a store as your preference and tolerance will vary.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Klipsch SW-450, Oppo 103D
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oh I'm considering the Panasonic gt50 in 55" or 60" size. I think I will just go 60" I watch a lot of direct TV but do have the HD reciever. I am coming form a 7 year old 50" so I should be impressed.