XBR HX929 vs. Panasonic VT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wanted to get people's opinion on which tv they would rather have the sony 46hx929 or 55"vt50. I could get them both for the exact same price. I'm a big sports fan and I was definitely going to get the vt50 but I just read thru the image retention thread on st50 and it made me nervous. Would it be a bad idea to get the vt50 if I watch yankee games everynite and footballs games during the season. I would also be going down 9" with the hx929 but thats because of the price. my room is small though. I also do all my viewing at night so light is not an issue. Also it seems hard to find the hx929 for cheap and I have to wait a week beofre I can make the purchase so they could be sold out. They say discontinued on Sony's website. I really wanted the vt50 but after reading thru these forums I'm nervous. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by strong island 1 View Post

I wanted to get people's opinion on which tv they would rather have the sony 46hx909 or 55"vt50. I could get them both for the exact same price. I'm a big sports fan and I was definitely going to get the vt50 but I just read thru the image retention thread on st50 and it made me nervous. Would it be a bad idea to get the vt50 if I watch yankee games everynite and footballs games during the season. I would also be going down 9" with the hx929 but thats because of the price. my room is small though. I also do all my viewing at night so light is not an issue. Also it seems hard to find the hx929 for cheap and I have to wait a week beofre I can make the purchase so they could be sold out. They say discontinued on Sony's website. I really wanted the vt50 but after reading thru these forums I'm nervous. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I own and love the ST50. Its the best image quality Ive seen on a set. However, in your case Id suggest going non-plasma or at least be ready to deal with IR.
strong island 1 likes this.

post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 192
The xbr hx909 is sony's 2010 top of the line, the xbr hx929 is sony's 2011/2012 top of the line.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I meant the 46hx929. Online i found it the same price as the 55" vt50. I watch baseball everynight and the scoreboard scares me with a plasma but I love plasmas so much more. I just sold a Sony 46NX810 with terrible clouding and 3d. other than clouding the 2D picture was very nice. The HX850 seems to be a nice set also. I am so confused.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by strong island 1 View Post

Sorry I meant the 46hx929. Online i found it the same price as the 55" vt50. I watch baseball everynight and the scoreboard scares me with a plasma but I love plasmas so much more. I just sold a Sony 46NX810 with terrible clouding and 3d. other than clouding the 2D picture was very nice. The HX850 seems to be a nice set also. I am so confused.

46hx929 vs 55vt50= VT50 hands down. Take the better overall pq and the extra screen real estate and don't look back. 55 vs 55 is more of a discussion. If you are nervous about IR, make sure you are buying from somewhere with a good return policy. But it's worth exploring and actually getting one set up in your home. The hx850 is a very nice set, but not as good as the 929 or the vt50.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 PM

Liked: 13
While I know this varies from set to set and user xperience, if it's my consolation I too was concerned about IR on my vt50. My old plasma felt bullet proof to IR, and I've been careful with this. That said, I've seen zero IR. the set is approx 200 hours old, and with the Olympics has been tested with the color NBC logo static for hours on end. I do use pixel aping, which has mixed reviews on impact. Overall though, IR is slowly becoming a non issue/concern for me. The same applies to buzzing.

My only one concern, still to be resolved, is what appears to my eye to be a very soft picture on some 1080i HD content and SD content. Hoping refinements in calibration will help here.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

While I know this varies from set to set and user xperience, if it's my consolation I too was concerned about IR on my vt50. My old plasma felt bullet proof to IR, and I've been careful with this. That said, I've seen zero IR. the set is approx 200 hours old, and with the Olympics has been tested with the color NBC logo static for hours on end. I do use pixel aping, which has mixed reviews on impact. Overall though, IR is slowly becoming a non issue/concern for me. The same applies to buzzing.
My only one concern, still to be resolved, is what appears to my eye to be a very soft picture on some 1080i HD content and SD content. Hoping refinements in calibration will help here.

Ya I think I am definitely going with the vt50. The last choice in tv's I had was the 46NX810 and the vt25 and I picked the nx810 and I hated myself for picking that tv and I promised the next tv I got would be a plasma, but for some reason IR is such a huge topic right now on these forums. When I got the nx810 I gave my dad a 3 year old panasonic plasma and the IR didn't really bother me. I have to wait another 8 days to order the tv and it feels like forever.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 PM

Liked: 13
I think you'll be more than happy with the vt50. As an FYi, I did run break in slides for the first 100 hours. While some say this doesn't prevent IR, I'm sure it can't hurt either.

I never read my above post before submitting - damn iPad had some fun with autocorrect!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page