Are there any Panny St50 returners out there who went Sammy 6500? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

Interesting; I used DVD's and U-verse material (HD lite) to do my comparison side by side. Difference was substantial (I'll use a different word). Especially when you factor in Samsung's sharpness control and their digital noise filter. I never saw the samsung posterize but I found the Panasonic doing it frequently. It really was source material dependent. I never found the Panasonic to be sharper; equal at times but never sharper. There was times where the VT50 had a lot more POP though. What i saw was the VT50 dropping high frequency detail when it posterized.
I think a VT50 married with a good AVR that has a digital noise filter (not block reduction) is a marriage made in heaven.
It's quite possible the off air tuner in the Panasonic has some digital filters. I wish I would have done that test now frown.gif

To me Samsung definitely was softer and less detailed with SD-material than ST50 when I compared them side by side. I turned off all DNR on both of them. From what I have gathered from reviews is that Samsung uses different scaling algorithm which is smoothing object edges. It tends to make bad quality material look smoother but with better quality material it looks soft. Still I feel that ST50 is somewhat softer than my 7-8 years old Panasonic plasma (SD-resolution panel). I think large sized panels tend to have softer look. I have checked resolution test patterns and ST50 seems to give full details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

To me Samsung definitely was softer and less detailed with SD-material than ST50 when I compared them side by side. I turned off all DNR on both of them. From what I have gathered from reviews is that Samsung uses different scaling algorithm which is smoothing object edges. It tends to make bad quality material look smoother but with better quality material it looks soft. Still I feel that ST50 is somewhat softer than my 7-8 years old Panasonic plasma (SD-resolution panel). I think large sized panels tend to have softer look. I have checked resolution test patterns and ST50 seems to give full details.

Look at like this it probably was not noticeable on earlier sets because they were not in abundance above 50 inch and affordable for most and its like a photo which looks ok at 4 X7 but when you blow it up to 8X10 things start to look well bad.
If your source is bad or compressed SD when you blow it up to a larger size with the same amount of resolution well it just looks bad without a lot of
picture enhancement taking place which usually is a give and take scenario of compromises in one or two areas.
post #93 of 98 Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Look at like this it probably was not noticeable on earlier sets because they were not in abundance above 50 inch and affordable for most and its like a photo which looks ok at 4 X7 but when you blow it up to 8X10 things start to look well bad.
If your source is bad or compressed SD when you blow it up to a larger size with the same amount of resolution well it just looks bad without a lot of
picture enhancement taking place which usually is a give and take scenario of compromises in one or two areas.
I know because I have had projector a long time and I watch content on 96" screen all the time. It definitely shows all the source material problem in that size but still my initial thought was that large TV's maybe show it even more. Of course the worst material I watch on projector is DVD's so it is not so fair comparison to low quality TV broadcasts.
post #94 of 98 Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

To me Samsung definitely was softer and less detailed with SD-material than ST50 when I compared them side by side. I turned off all DNR on both of them. From what I have gathered from reviews is that Samsung uses different scaling algorithm which is smoothing object edges. It tends to make bad quality material look smoother but with better quality material it looks soft. Still I feel that ST50 is somewhat softer than my 7-8 years old Panasonic plasma (SD-resolution panel).

That's the experience I got. Now I actually have a GT50 but I had last years D7000 Samsung LCD. It was the model right below the top of the line. Standard definition from our cable box looked terrible. I didn't know how to explain it to my family. I just told them that HDTV's require an HD source in order to achieve good PQ. After a week of disappointment along with not liking LCD technology I returned it and bought the Panny GT50. Standard Def from our cable box looks great on it. I can't believe the difference and I generally do look for flaws. Everyone will have a difference opinion.
post #95 of 98 Old 08-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Quote:

To me Samsung definitely was softer and less detailed with SD-material than ST50 when I compared them side by side. I turned off all DNR on both of them. From what I have gathered from reviews is that Samsung uses different scaling algorithm which is smoothing object edges. It tends to make bad quality material look smoother but with better quality material it looks soft. Still I feel that ST50 is somewhat softer than my 7-8 years old Panasonic plasma (SD-resolution panel).

That's the experience I got. Now I actually have a GT50 but I had last years D7000 Samsung LCD. It was the model right below the top of the line. Standard definition from our cable box looked terrible. I didn't know how to explain it to my family. I just told them that HDTV's require an HD source in order to achieve good PQ. After a week of disappointment along with not liking LCD technology I returned it and bought the Panny GT50. Standard Def from our cable box looks great on it. I can't believe the difference and I generally do look for flaws. Everyone will have a difference opinion.

Great but what does this have to do with comparing the ST50 to the Samsung PLASMA? This is what the thread is about.
post #96 of 98 Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I have been impressed with Samsung for sure, the only trade of is the unbelievable Panasonic black levels. The (Sammy) for me pretty much trumps everything else about the ST50 gaming (motion/lag), 3D (zero crosstalk/ghosting), film playback 1080p/24p(60hz/96hz no flicker) content and the internet suite. All these are handled much better on the Sammy, once again this is my opinion. My friend owns the VT30 and in comparison PQ wise, the E7000 is on par with the 2011 Panasonic.

So how noticeable is the black level difference? I am on the fence right now. Damn VT50 IR is worse than any CRT based or plasma set I have ever owned, Panasonic blew it here for sure. I run 15 minutes of Audyssey setup on my Denon and now I have a "Denon" and some of the icons retained. I use a bias light so I wonder if I will see the slightly lesser blacks on the Samsung.
post #97 of 98 Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post

Great but what does this have to do with comparing the ST50 to the Samsung PLASMA? This is what the thread is about.

To answer your question, In regards to my post, the ST50 and the GT50 use the same panel and same filter so I felt that it fit the thread.
post #98 of 98 Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post

To answer your question, In regards to my post, the ST50 and the GT50 use the same panel and same filter so I felt that it fit the thread.

But you compared the GT50 to an LCD. How is that relevant? The OP was wanting opinions comparing two plasmas. Specifically the Samsung plasma, not LCD.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Displays , Samsung Pn58c6500 58 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page