HELP (Urgent please): Sony XBR-55HX929 OR Panasonic TC-P55VT50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I please need help deciding. I had ordered the Panny VT50, but the first set was transported improperly, the second set was lost in transit, and the third arrived with the screen cracked internally. I never was able to set the system up, and was not very impressed witht he quality of materials. The unit is going to replace an old Sony XBR CRT TV from 2002. The unit is going to be mounted on the wall on a 14 x 14 room with only one window, so it will remain dark at all times. I rarely watch sports and do not play much video games. I love the bight colors of LED's, but also the deep blacks of Plasmas. Which one would you choose, and why? The price difference would be $400.00 higher for the Sony. Please advise. I am a little scared with the issues that I had with the Panasonic, dead or stuck pixels, IR, and other issues inherent with Plasmas. Is the Sony prone to any issues? I have heard of banding and creasing? Additionally, is the Sony being discontinued? I need to place the order by tomorrow, so please provide opinions. Is the Sony easier to calibrate than the Panasonic? Please advise. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

PS: Viewing distance will be around 7 to 8 FT, and there will not be much seating to the sides of the center of the TV, as it is a 90-inch couch for three.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Either tv is an excellent choice. Maybe the luck you've had with the vt50 is a sign. I think the Vt50 would be the better overall pick and value, but 929 is the only led set besides the elite that will give you comparable pq to a good plasma.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

So when would an LED surpass a Plasma in PQ quality, and why do LCD/LED units sell so much more than plasma, when they cost a lot more with inferior PQ? Is the Sony worth $400.00 more than the Panny? Will the colors be brighter and more vibrant in the sony?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

If I get the Plasma, it would be the VT50, and the LED the Sony 929, but now it is in between thw two of them.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Any more input?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Any more input?

I can't decide between these tv's either. I think I am leaning towards the vt50 because it seems to be amazing and i am really sick of being burned by lcd's. I have had a lot more noticeable problems with lcd's than plasmas, my nx810 had really bad clouding. Plus the vt50 is a lot newer tv. It's supposed to be one of the best pictures you can get right now. Although having a fully backlit led tv sounds really nice also, where you can leave on a game for hours and not even think twice. I think the hx929 also has a decent amount of blooming which a plasma won't. Well I still have a week to decide so I'm just gonna keep reading these forums. Good Luck.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11
I struggled as well and went with the Panasonic 65 VT50. Huge factors for me were picture quality, black levels, and off angle viewing. Also, I considered my viewig room as relatively bright with a 6" X 8" sliding door and a 5" X 5" windo, so I was a bit nervous about picking a plasma. This set gets a solid "A" in all those areas. I must say I was blown away by this set for my needs. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

BTW-Don't pay $3500. for it. There are many deals to be had.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page