Panasonic 65VT50 vs. 65GT50 ... Whats The Major Difference? Is It Worth It? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
To start I understand the VT model won the award for best TV of 2012 and I have read up TONS on the VT model and am close to be sold on it ... BUT ... I am not a huge video buff guy that needs "The Best" all around TV (heck I have had a 55" Vizio XVT Tru-LED Full Array for over 2 years and have loved it) but I want a TV that is awesome and gives atleast close to the best picture as possible and This Panasonic seems to be the clear winner this year ... but for a guy like me is the VT something thats worth it? I don;t know how to calibrate and I probably won't be paying anyone to do that ... I will more than likely just search for certain picture settings from members here and find something that I like and that will be good for me.

I recently purchased the Sharp Quattron 70" Edge-LED TV and love the size (the reason I am at least staying at 65" now) but the picture has some major issues with ghosting/halo on sports and other occasional programs and that is a No Go for this sports buff, so it's going back and I am looking for a replacement, and this 65XX50 is gonna be the TV I think will be the best for me hopefully.

I have tossed around the Panny and the Samsung 8000 but from what I see after the shoot-out results the Panasonic is the way to go in terms of just overall picture quality and other major factors and my assumption is it will just look better and hopefully even be better with the halo effect issue I currently have on the sharp 70" (this is a major deal for me to have my Sports games and primetime shows looking superb).

Now back to my main question .... I think I have basically decided to go with the Panny Plasma and really am close to just pulling the trigger on one of these two models ... but like I said I am not a guy who needs "The Best" ... I want the best, but if the GT really is kinda close to the VT in terms of overall picture quality, panel, etc. etc. then I would much rather save the money and go that route and have some money for say audio upgrades or what not (or just have the extra money now to buy the 4 year BB extended warranty that I would like to have for peace of mind which I may not be able to get with the VT ... Also to the warranty is 100 bucks less for the GT over the VT so there's another $100 bucks in savings from the two).

The price from the VT down to the GT currently is $800 cheaper at BB (VT is 3500, GT is 2700 on sale this week) .... Where is the 800 dollars being applied for a basic guy like me who may not even be able to tell the difference in these two sets???

I am ok with spending more money if there is some big difference between the two that is major driving factor and constitutes the 800 bucks ... if so what may that be?

I am returning the Sharp this week and turning right around and going to BB and buying this Panasonic TV ... I just have No Clue which one to get ... the VT to have the best of the best or save the $800 and get the GT if there is really no huge difference for someone like me.

I am a big sports guy ... I love watching tons of primetime HD programs wife (we have SO many shows we watch), and I have tons of movies and we watch at least one movie a week on bluray. My main thing is a nice clear picture with NO ghosting / halo effect on sports etc., Nice colors and though I do like brightness I am willing to compromise that for a far superior picture. I hate seeing pixelization on the screen from time to time and just want a nice overall TV experience.

I know I have said it many times but I'll say it again ... I'm not a guy that knows much about the video stuff and all the thing I have read that we're tested on the TV shootout this year ... I just know the basics of audio and video and want something NICE ... not over the best king of the hill stuff ... just nice and a GREAT above average performing TV.

So with all that info and what I like and don't like etc. etc.

Would a GT be fine for me or should I stay away from it for some reason and go with the VT for the $880 more? If so "why"? confused.gif

Please provide as much detailed info as possible to help me with this huge decision.

Thanks you SO much all your help ... AVS members are so awesome and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks Again smile.gif

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
First off, you shouldn't pay more than $2999.99 for the 65VT50 at BB so that makes the price difference much less. Also, besides the calibration capabilities of the VT being much better even if you don't think you will use it you may one day change your mind, the VT has a much better filter. In my opinion, if you watch TV with any light in the room (daylight or other) I would go for the VT. Try this, go to cnet and watch the video reviews of both the GT and VT on your computer at the same time. Pause each one while displaying similar content. You can see a big improvement, IMO, in the picture quality of the VT.

For what it is worth, I was doing the same as you and have decided to get the 65VT50, even though it means saving a little longer to get it. Hope this helps and good luck!smile.gif

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #3 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

......I just have No Clue which one to get ... the VT to have the best of the best or save the $800 and get the GT if there is really no huge difference for someone like me. I am a big sports guy ... I love watching tons of prime time HD programs wife (we have SO many shows we watch), and I have tons of movies and we watch at least one movie a week on bluray. My main thing is a nice clear picture with NO ghosting / halo effect on sports etc., Nice colors and though I do like brightness I am willing to compromise that for a far superior picture. I hate seeing pixelization on the screen from time to time and just want a nice overall TV experience.

The GT50 (and ST50) is a little brighter than the VT50 (better for sports and prime time HD), but the VT50 has slightly better black levels (better for movies at night). Otherwise the PQ is very similar.

Features that the VT50 has that the GT50 does not:

1. Infinite Black Ultra (a darker black filter than the one used on the GT50/ST50)

2. 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz

3. ISFccc Calibration Mode/Advanced Calibration

4. One Sheet of Glass Bezel design

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386141/official-panasonic-2012-lineup-and-information-thread-no-price-talk#post_21467390

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

I have seen calibration reports for the 65VT50 of over 45 ftl. That seems plenty bright to me. How much brighter can the ST/GT get?

post #5 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Other than that which has already been pointed out, try this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P65VT50-65-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VLSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343827532&sr=1-1&keywords=panasonic+vt50
About half way down the page it compares the Panny TVs

FredF
post #6 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 AM

Liked: 11
I am in the same boat as Falcon, this tv is going to be the start of my "home theater", in which I'll also have to buy a nice speaker system and an upgraded blue ray player. I'm going to be buying from Amazon, the price there is also close to a grand difference between the two sets. I'm also buying it primarily for sports, and will also never have someone calibrate it. I'm upgrading from a rear projection 46" Toshiba that's almost 10 years old, so I'm sure THX mode will look like heaven compared to what I'm watching now. I've had my eye on the 65VT since it came out, but the price is just too high. For my purposes, I think the GT50 will be just fine.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks so much for the feedback guys ... I wanted to touch on the VT being no more then 2999 at BB ... unless you know something I don't I have to buy it for the price that it is currently selling for online and in the store and right now it's on sale for $3500 (on sale from the regular price of 3700) I did notice it was 3400 last week but went up to 3500 this week .... but there is no way to get the VT at BB for 3K like you stated unless you have some sort of discount or work there I would assume. If I could get the VT for 3K at BB I wouldn't even be asking I would just go for the big dog at that price cause the GT is currently on sale for $2700 (down from the regular price of I think 3300) which is a savings for me of $800 plus taxes plus a hundred dollar cheaper warranty so about a savings all in all of about $1K!

Infact though I hate ordering from an online dealer ... Amazon has the GT for $2499 and no tax!!! If I got the GT at BB with 4 year warranty it would be $3,425 .... if I got it from amazing with the Squaretrade 4 year tv warranty the price would be $2,701!!!!!!! (this is another savings over BB price ... I could save $425 buying from amazon for just the tv alone not including the lower warranty ST price over buying from BB).

Anyone ordered TV's from Amazon and how did there delivery work and how is Squaretrades warranty for TV's?

At this price the GT HAS to be the better buy! .... FYI the VT at amazon is $3,369 ... so the price diff. from the GT to the VT at amazons prices with 4 year ST warranty would be $870 ... Basically still the same price difference but wow what a savings buying from Amazon over BB (and BB doesn't have it in stock locally it would have to be delivered as well) ... but the nice thing I like about BB is if for some reason I don't like the TV I can just return it locally and get my money back that day and find something diff., I would assume with Amazon it would take forever to get your money back and would I have to pay return shipping? But WOW the GT is a KILLER Price with Warranty at Amazon though.

OK, now back to the TV's themselves here.............

I see that the advantages are the VT being better in a brighter room ... I myself have a somewhat bright room but not so bright where there is direct sunlight coming in from any windows like a bay window etc. so I don't think that would be a major advantage for me.

The Infinite Black Ultra I assume goes side by side with the VT having darker blacks ... that would be awesome to have the darkest blacks but keep in mind I have never had a plasma screen and with coming from an old rear projection 720p Sony, then to the Vizio XVT LED .... I would assume the blacks even on the GT would look WAY blacker then anything else I have ever been used to and not sure if getting a tiny bit better blacks would be worth the huge diff. in cost.

The 24p Cinematic Playback 96 Hz/48 Hz is something I have no clue about and will need to research more maybe and could possibly one advantage for me (wont know till I know what it is).

The Advanced Calibration ... I know its recommended to have this done and have a pro come and calibrate this set but I know it's something I will Never do or pay for so the advanced calibration option the VT gas over the GT really will never apply for me. Like I said I am simple kinda guy but would like the best set out of the box that I can just tweak a bit and have a killer picture over other set that are not so good out of the box.

And the One Sheet Glass bezel design ... another thing I will need to find the advantage of .... really I'm only concerned about the PQ so if this is to maybe keep the profile down and make the tv smaller etc. then thats something that doesn't really appeal to me(really If I would have a killer tv that was still 3" thick I'm fine with it) since it will be on a stand and not be wall mounted.

The one thing stated above that seems to be a "Plus" for me if it is correct is that the GT is a tad bit brighter then the VT (which he said is good for sports) ... I actually would want the brightest panel possible in this Plasma since I do watch sports almost more than anything else, and I like the brightness when watching my primetime programs as well.

Now Movies we watch on occasion and the blacker the better which the VT is top notch in ... but back to my point I don't need the "Best of the Best" of everything and if the blacks are just a TAD bit better then the GT, that won't matter to much to me.

I know it sounds like the GT possibly the way to go and I am talking myself into to just buying the GT instead of the VT ... but I still don't see the advantages of the $800-1000 more over the GT for a user like me!?!?!

Once again thanks SO much the feedback guys, any feedback or suggestions are good feedback and suggestions regardless and I would love to hear more ... I am taking this Sharp back today or tomm. and would really like to order one or the other by Friday if possible ... just wanted to advice from the best here before I make that decision.

Thanks again. smile.gif
post #8 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 19
GT.

The VT is a calibrator's wet dream. But if you're not into calibration, then don't pay for something you'll never use.

The 3 TVs ST/GT/VT are very close in picture quality this year. The VT goes above and beyond in its calibration controls and multiple inputs. It's been said that a calibrated ST will look better than a GT out of the box. (recommendation being buy the ST and get it calibrated rather than the GT). The GT has the dual processor of the VT which aids in the internet features (not PQ).

All 3 look different in design. The VT one sheet looks cool but I think the GT does as well. This is a personal choice.

I don't think you would notice a brightness difference unless you had them side by side, though the VT has a different (better?) filter which might make it appear to be dimmer.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

GT.
The VT is a calibrator's wet dream. But if you're not into calibration, then don't pay for something you'll never use.
The 3 TVs ST/GT/VT are very close in picture quality this year. The VT goes above and beyond in its calibration controls and multiple inputs. It's been said that a calibrated ST will look better than a GT out of the box. (recommendation being buy the ST and get it calibrated rather than the GT). The GT has the dual processor of the VT which aids in the internet features (not PQ).
All 3 look different in design. The VT one sheet looks cool but I think the GT does as well. This is a personal choice.
I don't think you would notice a brightness difference unless you had them side by side, though the VT has a different (better?) filter which might make it appear to be dimmer.

I agree. The VT is meant to be professionally calibrated, if not you might as well get the GT. Yes the filter is better on the VT making the blacks blacker with light in your room.
As far as price goes, I see no reason you can't get the VT from BB for 3k. People have got it for that and some for even less. All you have to do is ask the salesperson what is their "best price." BTW, I just tried that at a Brand Smart USA and they told me $2999. It's worth trying.
Either way you go, you won't be disappointed! Good luck.

post #10 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

GT.

It's been said that a calibrated ST will look better than a GT out of the box. (recommendation being buy the ST and get it calibrated rather than the GT). The GT has the dual processor of the VT which aids in the internet features (not PQ).

Thanks so much for this info .... I think I have actually decided I will be moving away from the VT .... it's just to much of a high end AV guy kinda TV ... if the GT and even ST have just about as good picture quality that's all I'm looking for .... I have a critical eye but this eye has only been trained on an old Sony Rear Projection and a Vizio XVT LED for the bast 5 years now ... so I could only Imagine how much more Amazing any of these 3 tv's will be for my "basic" critical eye.

NOW ... though it sounds like I just keep moving back and moving ... I have read a lot that the PQ is a lot the same in all 3 panels .... Like you said above the maybe the ST would be a better deal and have it calibrated ... but I don't think I would ever have this done (or even know where to go to have someone do it) .... I am now thinking ... Hmmmmm GT or now maybe should I be looking at the ST?!?!?

Like I said it's gonna be a huge step up from where I am now on any 3 of them ... and the ST is $00 less!

Really I'm just trying to find the HUGE difference in these TV's that makes them 800 apart from the GT to the VT and 400 from the ST to the GT.

You stated the dual processor is a factor .... and from what I see on the spec sheets for all 3 of these TV's side by side (thanks to Fresh'slink) The ST is lacking the following from the GT ......

Only 3 HDMI (which is Very bad for the stuff I have and may be a deal breaker alone)
No Face Detection on 2D to 3D conversion (not sure what this is really)
24, 576 Shades of Gradation (still no clue what this is yet and the benefit)
THX3D Certified (cool to say your TV is THX certified and I'm sure the settings are nice if your not calibrating)
And I think the Looks are far better on the GT over the ST
Not sure if the screen filter is same either (maybe the screen is better on the GT over the ST ... not sure)

These may be enough to pay the extra 400 bucks probably ... guess that's something I need to figure our .... I need to find out what the shades of gradation is and how it's a benefit for me.

Weeelll .... looks like IO have decided now at best for me anyway the best route will be the GT .... I don't like the 3 HDMI on the ST so thats a rough one to swallow, having THX is just ... well ... Cool, and I'm sure the other 2 things are a good thing. I wonder if the screen is the same as far as the filter from the GT to ST?

Still trying to figure all this out ... and now I need to decide if I want to order from Amazon and save $400 bucks or get it from BB to have them here local for peace of mind if I need to return it.

Thanks again for all the feedback and I look forward to hearing much more before I make my final decision. smile.gif
post #11 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

FYI the VT at amazon is $3,369 ... so the price diff. from the GT to the VT at amazons prices with 4 year ST warranty would be $870 ... Basically still the same price difference but wow what a savings buying from Amazon over BB (and BB doesn't have it in stock locally it would have to be delivered as well) ... but the nice thing I like about BB is if for some reason I don't like the TV I can just return it locally and get my money back that day and find something diff., I would assume with Amazon it would take forever to get your money back and would I have to pay return shipping? But WOW the GT is a KILLER Price with Warranty at Amazon though.

Thanks again. smile.gif

Last year we bought a TV from Best Buy and had them deliver. After they cancelled the appt. three times I finally just cancelled my order and went somewhere else. It still takes up to three days to get the credit back to your account though. This is not Best Buys fault though, payments go through clearinghouse, so they leave the sender and sit for a few days while they get processed and forwarded to the recipient.

This year I bought from Amazon. The delivery company showed up right in the middle of the delivery window, helped me get the TV on the pedestal, removed my other TV from the stand, and put the new TV on my stand for me. We tested the TV and it looked good. Not less than five minutes after they left, I turned the TV back on and a vertical purple line popped up. I called Panasonic first, but was pointed by some forum members towards Amazon returns. I called Amazon returns, in 5 minutes the rep ordered a new TV for me and arranged both delivery and pickup of the old one. That was this past Thursday. They would have had the TV here yesterday, but I had previous commitments along with some other work being done of Friday, so it'll be delivered then. It was quite frankly the single easiest return of a faulty item I've ever been through, (pending delivery of course). Because it was faulty I got free two day delivery and return shipping on the old one.

Looky here!
post #12 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Last year we bought a TV from Best Buy and had them deliver. After they cancelled the appt. three times I finally just cancelled my order and went somewhere else. It still takes up to three days to get the credit back to your account though. This is not Best Buys fault though, payments go through clearinghouse, so they leave the sender and sit for a few days while they get processed and forwarded to the recipient.
This year I bought from Amazon. The delivery company showed up right in the middle of the delivery window, helped me get the TV on the pedestal, removed my other TV from the stand, and put the new TV on my stand for me. We tested the TV and it looked good. Not less than five minutes after they left, I turned the TV back on and a vertical purple line popped up. I called Panasonic first, but was pointed by some forum members towards Amazon returns. I called Amazon returns, in 5 minutes the rep ordered a new TV for me and arranged both delivery and pickup of the old one. That was this past Thursday. They would have had the TV here yesterday, but I had previous commitments along with some other work being done of Friday, so it'll be delivered then. It was quite frankly the single easiest return of a faulty item I've ever been through, (pending delivery of course). Because it was faulty I got free two day delivery and return shipping on the old one.

Very nice to hear ... I think I have now decided to get the TV from Amazon .... plus I found out since I am a Costco member they have a 3 year extended warranty deal for members for $100! So just when I thought I was gonna buy from Amazing and get the squaretrade 4 year warranty for $202 ... I think 3 years (4 total after the 1 year manuf.) is a good amount of time for $100! ... another 100 bucks saved!

Well it looks as if the warranty is covered and the Amazon order is a good deal since they are very reputable and great with there return / exchange 30 day policy.

I have been reading up a bit more and have read a bunch about the fear of Burn In on these sets .... I am now kinda worried about this happening ... I watch a TON of sports center and they have there ticker at the bottom and sometimes I just have SC on running for hours and hours at a time while working around the house and doing things. Is this something that's hit and miss or maybe something I think about and second guess my purchase cause of this?

But even if I change my mind about this Panny and look at say a nice LED ... what in the world is out there that's 65" and up thats actually GOOD? I know I can get the Elite but there is NO way I would shell out that kind of money ... there is the 65" Sammy 8000 but that too is $3500 and from the HDTV shootout it did good but not as good as the Panny did.

I am just coming up with scenarios to try and get all angles covered here and make sure this is the right choice and this burn in issue is a concern to me as I don't think the Squaretrade extended warranty will cover this issue.

Plus I keep hearing about the Buzzing that I know is common in Plasma's ... I have VERY sensitive hearing and I hope its not bad enough in this GT unit for me to hear it while watching regular tv at a low volume late at night after the wife goes to sleep ... I would hate to be sitting in the living room hearing a slight buzz / humm in the background ... that would Really ruin the viewing experience for me (and I am a night owl and watch MANY hours of TV after the wife goes to bed at a lower then average volume).

Once again thanks again for all the feedback and I hope to see tons more since the Sharp 70" is boxed up and heading back tomm. and I would love to buy something before Friday!
post #13 of 27 Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 520
I bought the VT from Amazon, paid a bit under the $3K. I bought the Costco/Squaretrade 3-year warranty too.

As for burn in, not going to happen.

As for image retention, on my set, I cannot detect the slightest hint of this. I keep looking. It's simply not there.

As for buzzing, I can hear the set when the volume is off and the screen goes to all white (this is typically on commercial skipping). With regular content -- even at low volume -- I am not hearing the TV, even when trying. I have above-average hearing. YMMV.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 11
Very helpful thread. I have also decided to go for the GT instead of the VT. Either way, we win as these are great sets. Again, thanks everyone for all the feedback and input as like I said earlier, Falcon and I are in the same boat purchase wise.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
dgc

I went through the same justification analysis and was all set to go for the GT until I managed to get Amazon to price match EE's price for 65VT50. $2,624.93 shipped, no tax! biggrin.gif To my knowledge that is still the lowest price but I was very lucky to get it.

Panasonic 65VT50
Onkyo TX-NR818
B&W DM 603 S3, LCR 600, DM 600 S3
SVS PB12-NSD
MP HTS 5100
PS3, Xbox 360, Apple TV
SA Explorer 8300HD
post #16 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc View Post

I went through the same justification analysis and was all set to go for the GT until I managed to get Amazon to price match EE's price for 65VT50. $2,624.93 shipped, no tax! biggrin.gif To my knowledge that is still the lowest price but I was very lucky to get it.

I've gotta know how you did this and what's the process in trying to get a price match .... please PM on how you accomplished this, cause I would for sure give it a shot!
post #17 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 05:46 AM
dgc

Quote:

I've gotta know how you did this and what's the process in trying to get a price match .... please PM on how you accomplished this, cause I would for sure give it a shot!

PM sent. As I explained in the VT50 Deals thread (around page 12), I was very lucky to find the right Amazon CSR.

Panasonic 65VT50
Onkyo TX-NR818
B&W DM 603 S3, LCR 600, DM 600 S3
SVS PB12-NSD
MP HTS 5100
PS3, Xbox 360, Apple TV
SA Explorer 8300HD
post #18 of 27 Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How well does this TV do with Ghosting and the Halo effect on sports? That is the BIG kicker for me. Like a fluid football game without all that crappy halo effect around the players and other stuff throughout the game.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

How well does this TV do with Ghosting and the Halo effect on sports? That is the BIG kicker for me. Like a fluid football game without all that crappy halo effect around the players and other stuff throughout the game.

??? Anyone able to give any feedback on this question? FYI I have Comcast Xfinity HD service running through a TiVo Premier STB.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 PM

I am no expert but aren't "ghosting" and screen "burn in" a thing of the past?
post #21 of 27 Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo1861 View Post

I am no expert but aren't "ghosting" and screen "burn in" a thing of the past?

I just returned my 70" Sharp 847 Edge-Lit LED TV for HORRIBLE ghosting!

When I watched sports all I saw a Halo effect all around the players as they ran and even walked!

This is a 100% deal-breaker for me and the TV was gone within the week (would have taken it back that night if I could have).

Maybe it's a thing of the past for Plasma's (this will be my first plasma ever ... only had LCD / LED TV's in the past and currently) TV's but the Sharp I just returned has it BAD.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK .... I have rad some about it but I just read a new review on Amazon for this TV about the bad "Image Retention" (IR .. or as some would call Burn-In) so I decided to do a search here ..... WAY to many people seem to have IR issues with these Panasonic Plasma Screens frown.gif

Here is one of the main threads that has me worried .... http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414908/panasonic-st50-image-retention-please-help

And THIS is almost a deal breaker review for on this GT50 now .... http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/

And all this"Break In" period with slides and junk is all I hear people saying ... I in no way will be monitoring watch and due break in periods with low settings and run slides ... I want to buy a TV and watch TV ... THATS IT!

I watch Sports Center ... ALL THE TIME! For some times hours at a time ... I am also worried about network and HD symbols in the corners but really ESPN has me VERY worried.

I watch SO much programming on ESPN and even during commercials they still have ESPN ticker at the bottom going on most of em if not all.

I read some people have seen these ESPN tickers in the Panasonic XXST50 (and GT/VT) at there local Magnolia rooms.

From what I read most people who say this doesn't happen ... don't really watch any kind of programs more than likely that have static logos ... this kind of TV is NOT for sports ... cause it's static central on sports for hours and hours at a time.

I can in no way have this as this will drive me nuts a few months down the road after my Amazon 30 return has past and I read that this issue Is Not covered by Panasonic!?!?!

So a couple months goes by and I have a ticker burned into my screen .... I would absolutely be so friggin pissed it would hurt!

Many people say "don't listen to the IR and burn-in are a thing of the past" comments cause there are TONS of people who have it.

This is the one last thing now deterring me from pulling the trigger here now.

HELP ... If this is common for these Panny screens ... what in the heck am I suppose to look at now?

EDIT: WOW .. the more I read about this and through this thread, no way I want to deal with stuff like this .... I think I may be back to the drawing board and veering away from Plasma ... I can handle something like a LED (heck I have a Vizio XVT LED that I LOVE ... but just want bigger) that has lighter blacks etc. etc. then worrying about watching a game or having it on EPSN for hours while I work around the house and end up with a faint ESPN logo in the bottom right of my screen forever! I was 24 hours away from pulling the trigger on this ... glad I read that one new review on Amazon ... cause based on my TV viewing habits, this TV and plasma in general may not be the way to go.
post #23 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 AM

What did you ultimately decide and are you happy with the outcome?
post #24 of 27 Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 AM

I see you talked about sports being high on your list I have owned the 65VT for 3 months now and in MHO nothing that I have watched is as good as this set. the Sharp sets I looked at I thought where very bad I could NOT watch these sets goog luck
post #25 of 27 Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 PM

Just bought a 65 vt50 from magnolia. 2 dAys later buzzing sound coming from back of tv. Muted speakers and problem still there. Took back to mag and they confirmed problem. Said it was probably simple loose connection somewhere. Manufacture date of tv November 2012.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the problem?

Should I bother getting it fixed or just return for full refund?
post #26 of 27 Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezalon View Post

Just bought a 65 vt50 from magnolia. 2 dAys later buzzing sound coming from back of tv. Muted speakers and problem still there. Took back to mag and they confirmed problem. Said it was probably simple loose connection somewhere. Manufacture date of tv November 2012.
Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the problem? Should I bother getting it fixed or just return for full refund?

There is a current buzzing thread you might want to read. It's about the ST50 but pertains to all models.

Since your buzzing started two days after you got the TV then obviously something inside the TV has become defective - probably a bad coil on one of the boards or the power supply has developed a defect. It's probably an easy repair so if the TV is otherwise a keeper, i'd have Panasonic repair it. If they can't get it fixed, then return it. You shouldn't be able to hear any buzzing beyond a few feet away, maybe 3-4 feet at most on a very bright scene.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #27 of 27 Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks Randy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page