Which ones are comparable to Samsung PN58B850 now? - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Which ones are comparable to Samsung PN58B850 now?
briandwlee's Avatar briandwlee 09:52 PM 08-01-2012
Hi,

I have a Samsung PN58B850 which was bought about 2.5 years ago and got a problem. It's got one thick horizontal line in the screen.

When I bought this TV, I bought Bestbuy's extended warranty, and they said they might have to replace the TV. Bestbuy, however, might replace it with lower to mid-end 58" plasma TV even though this PN58B850 was one of the high-end display unit when I bought it. As we know, all TVs are not made equal. I want to and have to convince them to replace it with a very comparable model among the currently avaiable TVs in the market.

What would you recommend? If you guys could help me with some list of TVs which are comparable to the Samsung 850 TV, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

sonyfan's Avatar sonyfan 01:07 AM 08-02-2012
Samsung PN60E6500 60-Inch.

Don't let them try to give you a 60" Pentile Panel = RGBG.
used in the e530, e550
Not full HD, 1080 x less than 1920.
uses 40% less energy acording to Samsung.
rahzel's Avatar rahzel 01:29 AM 08-02-2012
Hard to compare because even a low-end Samsung would perform similarly, if not better than your B850. But seeing as how the B850 was the flagship model, I agree with sonyfan and wouldn't settle for anything less than an E6500 (or Panasonic ST50 if it's not limited by brand). Either of those two are very good and are considered midrange plasmas.
briandwlee's Avatar briandwlee 12:25 PM 08-03-2012
Is Pen tile worse because it's got 2 sub-pixels per pixel compared to 3 sub-pixels per pixel which makes images rougher?
sonyfan's Avatar sonyfan 05:54 PM 08-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandwlee View Post

Is Pen tile worse because it's got 2 sub-pixels per pixel compared to 3 sub-pixels per pixel which makes images rougher?

Haven't seen any posts from a 60" e530, e550 owner so we are guessing as to the picture qulity at this point.
Who knows maybe a 40% lower energy operating cost for a 60" plasma is a good thing?
briandwlee's Avatar briandwlee 02:54 PM 09-26-2012
I was able to get a Samsung UN60ES8000 with $200 extra payment as a replacement for the defective PN58B850.

There were some argument between BB and myslef, but I tried to convince them by saying every TV was not made eqaully. They tried to give me a mid-end model by comparing numbers on specifications of a current mid-end model and PN58B850, but I convinced them by comparing numbers on specifications of current mid-end models and high-end models that they have on their display and letthing them judge by their eyes.

This time, I went to LED/LCD instead of PDP as I thought durability of LED/LCD would be bit better than that of PDP.

Do you guys think it is a good choice?
Up
Mobile  Desktop