Picture settings for pn51e7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have the picture settings for Samsung PN51E7000? I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find the picture settings for that model. Cnet reviewed the E8000 model and put up the picture settings for it. Can I use the same picture settings for the E7000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Liked: 14
bump
post #3 of 18 Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Basic settings for D7000 vs. D8000 are a bit different, and calibrations very different, so that may also be the case for the E series. BUT, by copying full calibrations like those posted at cnet, you're probably more likely to end up with worse color/gryscale accuracy than in default movie mode. Solution? Go ahead and use the posted settings, but OMIT the custom color, white balance and 10pt settings. Then, check the basic settings (cont, bright, color, tint, sharp) by eye with a good calibration disc (AVS HD 709 is free). At that point you will have the best picture possible without a DIY or professional calibration. Copying calibrations absolutely does not work on the D series, and there is no evidence it works on the E either. You can do your own adjusting under your typical room lighting and get better resuts in 5 minutes with a little practice. Resist the lazy approach, it's a waste of time IMO.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Basic settings for D7000 vs. D8000 are a bit different, and calibrations very different, so that may also be the case for the E series. BUT, by copying full calibrations like those posted at cnet, you're probably more likely to end up with worse color/gryscale accuracy than in default movie mode. Solution? Go ahead and use the posted settings, but OMIT the custom color, white balance and 10pt settings. Then, check the basic settings (cont, bright, color, tint, sharp) by eye with a good calibration disc (AVS HD 709 is free). At that point you will have the best picture possible without a DIY or professional calibration. Copying calibrations absolutely does not work on the D series, and there is no evidence it works on the E either. You can do your own adjusting under your typical room lighting and get better resuts in 5 minutes with a little practice. Resist the lazy approach, it's a waste of time IMO.

Thanks. I didn't plan to copy calibration settings, I understand they are different for each unit.
I was more interested in what mode do people find it best to run in, etc.
Also, where do I find the AVS HD 709 download? I have searched this whole site for it!
post #5 of 18 Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to be difficult, but there's this handy search tool called Google... wink.gif

Many of the basic settings, like picture modes and processing, will be the same for both the E7000 and E8000 (basically, it's always movie mode with all processing/enhancements disabled, and screen fit enabled to make sure you get 1:1 pixel mapping). Note that movie mode will default to warm 2 for the closest white balance accuracy - some people have trouble getting used to this mode and prefer the "brighter" whites of other color tones. However, the other color tones (warm 1, standard, etc.) will cause unnatural changes to white balance, moving you far from a true d65 calibration. If you're having this problem, I would suggest you just stick with warm 2 for a week or two and see if you can get used to it. There can be some model-to-model differences in typical brightness and contrast settings, but these are better determined by the user anyway under typical viewing conditions. I suggest leaving cell at 20 (lower settings actually reduce performance) and adjusting contrast until you find a comfortable overall brightness to the picture (most recommend not going above 95 contrast). Then, use a test disc (I recommend the APL clipping pattern on AVS HD 709) to set brightness according to the directions provided in the PDF manual. Also, make sure the white bars in this pattern are pure white - if there is any pink tint, try reducing contrast until it subsides and then recheck brightness. Finally, in the advanced menu, use the RGB only mode to switch to blue and set color and tint (directions also cover this). Sharpness is generally kept to a minimum or set to zero, but some people like a little extra sharpening. The sharpness test pattern on AVS HD 709 isn't the best one, but you can try it. Last but not least, some people make use of the gamma adjustment to enhance blacks or prevent loss of shadow detail. I would only suggest using it if you have shadow detail problems (crushed blacks). You can increase the gamma setting (typically by 1-2 clicks) to bring out more shadow detail, but you will need to reset brightness with the test disc after making any changes to the gamma setting.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks!
And I did try looking for a concise summary like this using google and this threads search program. BUT there are so many threads and posts that it is crazy to try and find an answer.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, that's understandable. I was actually referring to AVS HD 709 - pop that into google and it'll take you right to the thread where it can be downloaded.

What I have written above is sort of a quick and dirty approach that usually works, however there are more subtleties that are good to be mindful of when doing a basic calibration by eye (e.g., setting the proper color space, preventing clipping, etc.). By reading the PDF manual for AVS HD 709 (and watching the tutorial) you can pick up some more detail. The Spears and Munsil calibration disc complements AVS HD nicely if you want to get more technical, and a simpler (but also very effective) disc for calibrating by eye is the Disney WOW disc.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM

I have a question. I don't had the e8000, but the e6500, so hopefully it will apply. I have my PS3 connected to my Samsung 60e6500, and was wondering about the hdmi black level. Should it be at low or normal? And should I have the PS3 set at full or limited RGB? I use my PS3 as my primary blu ray player at the moment, but I also obviously game.

Also, under the advanced menus, what is the xxycc option for? And should it be activated or not? These two are confusing me slightly.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I would suggest using YCbCr mode with Superwhite enabled on your PS3. This will cause the HDMI level to be set automatically (grayed out) by the TV, so no troubleshooting required. There is really no need to feed the TV RGB (unless you want to get more advanced and happen to find YCbCr mode introducing chroma errors with the S&M disc).

xvYCC, like Deep Color, has not been shown to offer any PQ improvements AFAIK, at least not on blurays (which do not support these enhancements). I've heard some PS3 games may have such support, although I'm doubtful.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM

WOW - TV got delivered an hour ago - frickin amazing picture and no buzz at all.

Plugging in these setting now.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Here are the settings from my ISF Calibration:

PN60E7000

PICTURE
-Picture mode: CAL-DAY
cell light: 17
contrast: 75
brightness: 48
sharpness: 0
color: 59
tint: G50 R50

-Adanced settings
Dynamic contrast: off
Black tone: dark
Flesh tone: 0
Color space: Native
White Balance
--R-Offset: 20
--G-Offset: 25
--B-Offset: 20
--R-Gain: 17
--G-Gain: 27
--B-Gain: 21
10p White Balance: off
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: off
xvYCC: off
Motion Lighting: off

-Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: off
MPEG Noise Filter: off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: off

I hope that helps. You should be able to adjust the Cell Light all you want without changing the picture quality. Some settings must be unlocked from the service menu.

-Justin
post #12 of 18 Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Justin,

Would you please attach the calibration report to your post of setting?

Thanks,
Larry
post #13 of 18 Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM

I'll have to ask if the Geek Squad agent still has the report. I'm not sure if they save every calibration.

-Justin
post #14 of 18 Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Alright, I finally have the calibration report.
PN60E7000.pdf 1030k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PN60E7000.pdf (1.01 MB, 54 views)
post #15 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherjustin View Post

Alright, I finally have the calibration report.
PN60E7000.pdf 1030k .pdf file

Why wouldn't they use 10 point white balance and cms, you get a much more accurate cal that way. He really on used the very basic controls on your set

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #16 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM

He did use CalMAN, and said it had a <5% variance. I'm not sure about the white balance.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherjustin View Post

He did use CalMAN, and said it had a <5% variance. I'm not sure about the white balance.

My main point is he is not utilizing all the picture controls available so as a result you calibration is not as it could be

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #18 of 18 Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 20
Thanks for posting your results. How does your set look after the calibration?

I just earned a free calibration due to becoming a Best Buy Silver Premier Member. I've got an appointment set for May 11… a little nervous. smile.gif Apparently the guy coming out, (Brendan) only does TV calibrations so you'd think he'd get good at it after a while, right? I mean, if it's all he does for a living….. hmm….

A handful of questions if you don't mind.

1. I see you have a Cal Day setting. Did you get a Cal night setting as well? I think this/these are turned on in the Service Menu correct?

2. Did he adjust anything within the service menu?

3. If you decided you didn't like what he'd done, how hard would it be to put it back to factory? Could you just turn off the calibration and turn it back off with a factory reset? I plan to write down the settings I achieved with the free AVS HD 709 downloaded disc.

4. How long was he there? What were the condition of your environment? The room for my TV is fairly well lit and he'll be out mid day. I'm contemplating hanging dark window coverings for the hour or so I expect him to be there.

5. How was the experience? Did he seem knowledgable? Does your TV look better? Worth the cost/time involved? I have no cost involved, but am happy enough with my set that i wouldn't spend $500 for an independent to do it.

Hard to turn down free, but you know how sometimes you get what you pay for? smile.gif

Thanks
-sb
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51e7000 51 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page